Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

My First Sum 41 Show!

Post by sprinks41 »

I had waited 10 years to see Sum 41 live, and I finally got the chance to on Sunday, November 25, 2012! They played at The Stone Pony in Asbury Park, New Jersey, so I knew I had to go (I live in Toms River, New Jersey which is only about 35 minutes south). In a nutshell, I couldn't have asked for a better first time experience! And here is why:

I'm gonna skip past the opening bands because I didn't care about them, but I will say, check out I Am Dynamite if you can, because for a 2-piece, they're great! Anyway, I took my little brother Brian (16-years-old) and we got a spot at the fence just to the right of where Deryck was going to be.

Brian & Me

When the Sums came on, the ENTIRE venue went absolutely crazy, and with good reason of course. They played an amazing set, and when they got to the bridge of "Still Waiting," Deryck announced he wanted to bring people on stage. He noticed my camera because I was filming, and sure enough, HE PICKED ME FIRST! But to be honest, I shook my head "No" and pointed at Brian next to me, and Deryck pointed to him and shouted "Get your son up here!" LMAO! I didn't care, I was so happy for Brian to get picked. Security pulled him over the fence, and he went up on stage along with about 5 or 6 other lucky fans. And Deryck greeted them all (high-fived Brian) he was on his way back to his mic when I shouted as loud as I could "Deryck! That's my brother, thank you!" Surprisingly, he heard me, smiled and said into the mic "Oh it's all about love here at Sum 41 land, isn't it?!" I smiled and the rest of the show went on...

I didn't get the setlist, another lucky fan was given it and let me take a picture of it

After the show, Brian and I each bought a shirt, and decided to get ready to leave. But first, we had 1 more mission: attempt to meet the band! I approached one of the security guards and asked if he knew if Sum 41 was going to stay around for a Meet & Greet. He must've been in a bad mood and was trying to clear the place out, because he waved Brian and me away and said "No, they gotta hit the road, and you guys gotta get out of here." We began walking away, and Brian whispered in my ear "I don't believe him." I said "Me neither, he's full of shit. Come on, we'll talk to the fans outside and see if they know anything." We proceeded outside, and sure enough, the fans were crowded outside a small back-room connected to the venue. We all peaked a look through the stained windows and saw the Sums. Convinced they would be out at some point, I turned to Brian and said "I know you have school tomorrow, and it's around 1 in the morning, but I would really like to meet them if we can." He shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't care, let's wait a while and see if they come out." Sure enough, after 5 minutes, Brown Tom opened the door and one of the fans began speaking with him. We heard Tom say "We'll be out, we just need some time to cool off and stuff." We all thanked Tom for letting us know. About 10 minutes later, Stevo came out, and did autographs and pictures with everyone. As usual, he was hilarious!

Brian with Stevo

Me with Stevo

After Stevo went inside, Cone came out a few minutes later. He was more talkative than I expected him to be, and was really cool to chat with. I said to him, "You guys have played so many places throughout the years, it's practically impossible to remember all of them, so I don't expect you to be able to remember this: do you remember playing at The Ritacco Center? It's connected to Toms River High School North, about a half hour south of here." He put his head down to think for a few seconds and then said "Toms River, New Jersey...I'm sorry man, I don't." I laughed a little and replied "It's all good, I didn't expect you to. Anyway, that was my high school." I pointed to Brian who was next to me and said "My brother goes there now." Cone smiled, nodded his head and said "Oh wow, OK, that's cool!" I asked him if Deryck would be out, and he said "Yeah when I go back in I'm gonna tell him to come out."

Brian with Cone

Me with Cone

After Cone went in, Brian turned to me and joked "Now when Deryck comes out, stay calm." I smiled and replied "Don't worry I'll be fine." A few minutes passed, the door opened, and Deryck walked out. There he was. My idol. My role model. The reason I ever wanted to pick up a guitar. I couldn't help myself, and nearly shouted "Holy crap, it's him!" Now before I continue, let me repeat what has been said soooooooo many times throughout the years: Deryck is EXTREMELY shy and quiet! Moreso than I expected him to be, but I definitely respected it. Anyway, Brian approached him, extended his ticket and Deryck began to sign it. I said "Deryck thank you for bringing my brother on stage, that was really cool." He smiled. Brian asked him for a picture and he nodded.

Brian with Deryck

Now it was my turn. I am STILL in shock that this happened to me. I asked Deryck for a picture and he said "Sure." I handed Brian my camera, and as I got next to Deryck, I put my arm around him and said "I play guitar because of you." He let out a small chuckle of grateful surprise and said "Oh thank you." I smiled and said "No, thank YOU." Brian snapped the picture.

Me with Deryck

I shook Deryck's hand, said "It was an honor to meet you," grabbed my stuff and off to the car we went to drive home. As we walked away, a nearby fan asked me if it was worth it. I shook my head in disbelief and said "Hell yeah!" So the only one I didn't get to meet was Tom, but I didn't mind. And I'm not knocking him at all, I really like him! I just still am used to Deryck, Cone, and Steve as being the Sum 41 I grew up with.

The entire drive home, this past week, and even now as I'm writing this, I can't help but wonder, did all this really happen? Did my dream ACTUALLY come true? And the answer, is yes! :glad: And believe me when I tell you, the guy are REALLY friendly and VERY down-to-earth!

To those of you reading this who still have yet to see Sum 41 live and/or meet them, I only have one thing to say: DON'T EVER GIVE UP HOPE! It is possible. Now maybe I just got lucky with timing, location, etc., I don't know. But I do know, that if you have faith, dreams do come true!
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

That's great that you had a wonderful time. Sum shows are awesome experiences.
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Oh gosh, I'm so envy when I hear these stories... I've been at two Sum 41 show, but both of them were on a festival, so I didn't know how I could meet them...

Btw, Congrats! :)
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

So glad to hear they've been meeting fans a lot on this tour. And even cooler that some of them have been TNSers!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Yeah, that's awesome! Can't wait for them to (finally) come to the UK again. So many stories of fans' experiences with the band, makes me so jealous!
fuck this signature nonsense
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re:

Post by Ardi41 »

Gregorovich wrote: So many stories of fans' experiences with the band, makes me so jealous!
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Post by sprinks41 »

thanks everyone!
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Way to mention me!!!! lol jk glad it was as awesome as you expected!!!
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:Way to mention me!!!! lol jk glad it was as awesome as you expected!!!
hahaha sorry Ant! did I mention, everybody, that I met Anthony and a few other TNS members?! they are veryy cool guys and girls and I hope I get to meet them again sometime! seriously Ant, you were a chill dude to hang with, and I still cant get over your tattoo, it's awesome! glad we got to meet!
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Re: Re:

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

sprinks41 wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:Way to mention me!!!! lol jk glad it was as awesome as you expected!!!
hahaha sorry Ant! did I mention, everybody, that I met Anthony and a few other TNS members?! they are veryy cool guys and girls and I hope I get to meet them again sometime! seriously Ant, you were a chill dude to hang with, and I still cant get over your tattoo, it's awesome! glad we got to meet!
Lol thanks dude! I'll see you again once Sum 41 comes back to NJ! :razz:
sprinks41
Walking Disaster

Re: Re:

Post by sprinks41 »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:Lol thanks dude! I'll see you again once Sum 41 comes back to NJ! :razz:
for sure!