Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Anyone Ever Wish?

Post by Gregorovich »

Trainwreck wrote:
Susanne wrote:
X^2 wrote:Also it may sound weird but here Good Charlotte and Simple Plan got tons of radio play few years back, I dunno' if they still do. But I've heard Sum 41 played like 5 times in radio during my life. haha. And yes, Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are horrible, horrible bands.
I think they still play Simple Plan (at least the song Summer Paradise has been a lot on the radio this spring/summer) but now that I think about it I haven't heard much Good Charlotte recently. Still, both of those bands are way more popular here than Sum 41. I have never heard Sum 41 on the radio.
Oh geez, look what I've started. Okay, maybe Sum 41 is more comparable to Yellowcard, then. Yellowcard is a band that had a huge hit with Ocean Avenue, but has since then sort of dropped off. They still make really good music, and they have their own unique sound, but they just haven't been able to replicate that success they had in the early-mid 00s.

As far as radio goes... I think it depends where you live... a lot of people on this site seem to really love the radio station around my area, which is a station called 89X, and I think that station premiered Screaming Bloody Murder, or Blood In My Eyes, or maybe it was in the UH era, and they premiered one of those songs... I forget, but regardless, they still play all of the bands that have been mentioned in this thread. They're the "new rock-alternative" station. Also, I know that there's an XM radio station that I heard Jessica Kill on when I was in my car once, and I was just kind of flipping channels because I don't really listen to XM and don't know the good stations.

I think a testament to Sum 41's popularity is the fact that even on an album that had very little mainstream success, they still had a song up for a grammy or whatever it was... with Blood In My Eyes. I think that shows that they're still somewhat in the public eye, even if they are kind of an afterthought at this point. I don't think you'd be seeing bands like Simple Plan or Good Charlotte reaching that popularity currently.
Believe me, rock hasn't been played on UK radio for years. Unless you count Green Day 'leaking' all their music on Zane Lowe.
fuck this signature nonsense
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Gregorovich wrote: Believe me, rock hasn't been played on UK radio for years. Unless you count Green Day 'leaking' all their music on Zane Lowe.
What do they play, then, regularly?
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Trainwreck wrote:
Gregorovich wrote: Believe me, rock hasn't been played on UK radio for years. Unless you count Green Day 'leaking' all their music on Zane Lowe.
Genuinely, this was the only song I heard on the radio for over 2 months.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Gregorovich wrote:
Trainwreck wrote:
Susanne wrote:
X^2 wrote:Also it may sound weird but here Good Charlotte and Simple Plan got tons of radio play few years back, I dunno' if they still do. But I've heard Sum 41 played like 5 times in radio during my life. haha. And yes, Good Charlotte and Simple Plan are horrible, horrible bands.
I think they still play Simple Plan (at least the song Summer Paradise has been a lot on the radio this spring/summer) but now that I think about it I haven't heard much Good Charlotte recently. Still, both of those bands are way more popular here than Sum 41. I have never heard Sum 41 on the radio.
Oh geez, look what I've started. Okay, maybe Sum 41 is more comparable to Yellowcard, then. Yellowcard is a band that had a huge hit with Ocean Avenue, but has since then sort of dropped off. They still make really good music, and they have their own unique sound, but they just haven't been able to replicate that success they had in the early-mid 00s.

As far as radio goes... I think it depends where you live... a lot of people on this site seem to really love the radio station around my area, which is a station called 89X, and I think that station premiered Screaming Bloody Murder, or Blood In My Eyes, or maybe it was in the UH era, and they premiered one of those songs... I forget, but regardless, they still play all of the bands that have been mentioned in this thread. They're the "new rock-alternative" station. Also, I know that there's an XM radio station that I heard Jessica Kill on when I was in my car once, and I was just kind of flipping channels because I don't really listen to XM and don't know the good stations.

I think a testament to Sum 41's popularity is the fact that even on an album that had very little mainstream success, they still had a song up for a grammy or whatever it was... with Blood In My Eyes. I think that shows that they're still somewhat in the public eye, even if they are kind of an afterthought at this point. I don't think you'd be seeing bands like Simple Plan or Good Charlotte reaching that popularity currently.
Believe me, rock hasn't been played on UK radio for years. Unless you count Green Day 'leaking' all their music on Zane Lowe.
You, my friend, haven't been listening to Late-night with Johnny Doom on Kerrang!

Also Carly Rae Jepsen... TUNE!
[donate][/donate]
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Gregorovich wrote:
Trainwreck wrote:
Genuinely, this was the only song I heard on the radio for over 2 months.
geez I kinda liked the song at first, but damn everytime I turn on the radio they're playing that song.

back on topic, the sums might not be mainstream famous but when I saw them live they had to change the venue cos Razzmatazz ( the biggest club in barcelona ) wasn't big enough, they've a huge and loyal fanbase, they don't need a frikking music video
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

They should make more videos like this, like in the good ol' days
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:Also Carly Rae Jepsen... TUNE!
It's catchy, fosho!

I'm not sure what stations you get where you live (do you live in/near a big city?) but I feel like I have all the stations I need. Modern rock, uh, that heavier rock music Nickelback/Three Days Grace play, country, hip-hop/clubby sort of music, soft rock... etc. I assume there's a modern rock station out there in the UK, but maybe you're just out of wave lengths' reach?
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

FuckT41182 wrote:
bizzyd676 wrote:That the Sums were a bit more pop... I know its playing devil's advocate, but as my favorite band, I wish they were more heavily scrutinized and in the public eye just so we could have more stuff to be excited about.

No one makes better music to me then them, but then its so easy to forget, because their impact these days is so small.

What would it take to make the world realize how talented the Sums really are again, would it be that happier music Deryck was talking about at the end of the SBM Doc perhaps?

Its the lack of videos for this album that really left me scorned as a fan cause it was so damn good.

How could you consistently have such good music, excellent writing, and everything, but then the marketing be so lax.

They really need someone who cares about that kind of stuff imo, something as simple as a creative video, a movie scored by them, anything.

They have so much potential its crazy, even the fuckin snobs at the Grammy cant hate!

I digress tho, opinions?
hh, you serious ? Why would they need talent to be popular ? Is Lil Wayne the wanna be gangster talented ? Popularity in this industry takes away your freedom, the major labels are completely taking over the music that we are forced to listen to... and the other thing, Sum 41 are not bad, but the word excellent is out of place, if you wanna use that word, you should use it when talking about Pink Floyd, The Beatles or The Who...

Thats a pretty lame statement considering how many people didnt grow up with their music. In my eyes I enjoy Sum 41's albums in a more relevant way then i do Pink Floyd's or anybodies for that matter, so to me they are "excellent". They excel in captivating my interest unlike Pink Floyd...

And even if Lil Wayne doesnt use it anymore, he would not be anywhere near as succesful today as he if he didnt have any talent.

Widen your scope and stop picking sour grapes, and you wont say such stupid narrow minded shit anymore.
Jeremy Kill
Anyone Ever Wish?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Ever watch Lil Wayne play guitar? Shredder.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Ever heard Lil Wayne open his mouth? Cunt.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Ever watch Lil Wayne play guitar? Shredder.
he doesn't even try to make it look like hes actually playing. I hate this guy
Last edited by Resident Skumfuk on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.