Epicness in Zurich

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Epicness in Zurich

Postby TomiT14 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:13 pm


Click to view the fullsize image.

I don't even know if you want to hear these stories anymore, so I'll try to keep this short. :glad:

So yes, this all happened so fast! I managed to get a ticket to the show in Zurich just a day before the show. Quickly I booked flights and accommodation just 5 hours before the departure. Probably my craziest and most spontanious decision ever! :glad:

After arriving in the morning and wondering around the city, I decided to take look at the venue so I'd find there easily before the show. Glad I did that, since it took me more than an hour to get there! That city is not easy to navigate in, even with a map in your hand all the time. After finding the venue, which was on the other side of the city, I wanted to go to eat before the doors open. I had to walk all the way to the city center to find a place to eat that would be open! How the fuck can the restaurants not be open from 2 to 6 pm? I was dead hungry! Luckily one Vietnamese restaurant saved my life when it opened its doors just for me. :glad:

Anyways, let's cut the crap. I headed back to the venue, and found out there were already quite many fans lining up. I took my place in the line, and shortly after I started to hear familiar tunes inside. Very familiar instrumantal of a song I didn't recall at first, but then it hit me - All Messed Up! Wow! Wasn't expecting that! Following that, another instrumental was played. I couldn't believe it at first, but when they decided to do the vocals aswell, I was shocked! BILLY fucking SPLEEN! This was the first time they played it since recording the song 10 years ago. Awesome!

I was told that I would get my ticket at the door. So when the doors opened, I asked if they had my ticket, and the answer wasn't what I expected. They had no idea what I was talking about, and I was getting a bit stressed about the situation. After negotiating for a while they luckily let me in though. Phew!
When I entered the venue, I was shocked again. The venue was so small! And not only the venue, but the size of the stage! I figured it would probably be the smallest stage they've ever played, I wasn't expecting them to be able to move at all. :glad:

The supporting band came and went, didn't really pay attention to them while I was working my way to the front. When it was time to shut down the lights and start playing TNT, I was getting excited! Even after so many shows I've been to, it's funny how I always get so excited! And that's why I love it! I was expecting to hear the album noises from SBM, but instead the band just came and started with Mr. Amsterdam (which they ended the same way as in the album, haven't heard them play it like that before!). Immediately the crowd started moving, and since it was a small place it got very hot very fast! At the end of the show I couldn't find a dry spot from my clothes. :glad:

My favorite song from AKNF, I wasn't expecting to hear it live ever, but after reading the comments here I was hoping for them to play it. And I wasn't disappointed, Rhythms was so great live! Damn I felt nostalgic!
Even though I've seen them a couple of times already, I've never had the chance to hear either No Brains or No Reason. Tonight I was being spoiled, since they played them both! Really loved the new bridge in No Brains. They also played Makes No Difference, and for the first time since 2008, Deryck brought a fan to play guitar on stage. He sucked though. :glad:

Then the biggest surprise. And it goes on and on and I just can't help it! HYPER-INSOMNIA-FUCKING-PARA-CONDRIOID! Damn! Just how I loved it on Sake Bombs! Nice! And it didn't stop there, immediately after the guitar riff of Holy Image Of Lies kicked in! I was so excited! Unfortunately they didn't play Happiness Machine, but it didn't surprise me after Mitchell told they weren't so fond of that.

After they played a couple of hits in a row, I knew the show was heading to its ending, and it was getting even hotter. People were screaming "Water!", but the security guys didn't react. And it sure was hot on the stage too, so Deryck decided to cut few songs from the setlist. And just like my last show in Croatia year ago, the songs that were cut off were Back Where I Belong and Exit Song. Bummer!
The encore started with the We Will Rock You cover, which was awesome to hear live! Following that, I would've expected a better choice, but oh well, My Direction. But as a huge surprise, first time in 10 years, they finished the song by playing a short clip from What We're All About! Nice little addition! :glad: During the show, Cone fist bumped me at one point, and even though I hadn't had eye contact with Stevo at all, he pointed at me before P4P when saying "this song goes out to you!" :silly:

The setlist
(videos will be uploaded to my YouTube account)

1. Mr. Amsterdam
2. Motivation + Slayer ending
3. We're All To Blame
4. In Too Deep
5. Walking Disaster
6. Rhythms
7. Screaming Bloody Murder
8. Skumfuk
9. No Reason
10. Makes No Difference
11. Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condrioid
12. Holy Image Of Lies
13. Sick Of Everyone
14. No Brains
15. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)
16. The Hell Song
17. Still Waiting
18. Fat Lip
--Encore--
19. We Will Rock You
20. My Direction + What We're All About -clip
21. Pain For Pleasure

Wow! A 21-song setlist (could've been 23)! :ohshiz:

So, the aftermath. After waiting an hour or so after the show, I was taken downstairs. I was told to wait outside the backstage door along with couple of girls. After 20 minutes or so, their security guy came and pointed at me saying "Tomi, you can come". The girls jumped up aswell, but "only Tomi" was the call. :silly: Poor girls didn't get in, since the band didn't feel like partying.
So there I was, chilling out with Tom, Deryck and Cone. Just the four of us, no crew guys or anyone else, Stevo joined shortly after. I told them how I loved the show, especially Rhythms and Hyper. I was there about an hour, I can't even remember the most things we talked about. Deryck told that it was the first time they played Billy Spleen since the recordings, and they are planning to play it on this tour along with All Messed Up. He also said they played Crash during the soundcheck (I wasn't there yet then), and said they will probably play it, but they haven't figured out a good spot for it in the setlist, since Stevo doesn't play in that song.

About their current setlist, Cone told me that they've noticed that majority of the fans doesn't really like Underclass Hero the album that much, so they try to keep the songs from that album in minimum (Walking Disaster was the only one this time). Although Cone said UH the song is probably one of the best sum-songs written in his opinion. I asked Deryck that is there a reason that, for example, Open Your Eyes has never been played live. He said that and I'm Not The One have so complicated vocals that they wouldn't work live. About the new songs, they've talked that they would start playing Time For You To Go at some point. I asked about Jessica Kill, where they said "There are so many songs, we can't play them all". They also figured that Blood In My Eyes doesn't work great as a live song, so they have stopped playing it. Cone said that only hardcore fans sing along to it, but the rest of the crowd can't really relate to its start-and-stop tempo. They have talked about bringing it back as an acoustic version on the next tour though.

About unreleased B-sides, Deryck said that We're The Same was the only song that didn't make the album. The rest weren't just finished, just like the "Ignorance No More" Heather asked him about. Skumfuk intro was a great example, but they decided to add it as a transition track. So, the intro isn't really part of the song, it's just a transition between SBM and Skumfuk, hence not playing it live. Although there's one unreleased SBM b-side, the acoustic version of Blood In My Eyes. Cone was thinking they could release it as a b-side on their next release.

Of course I had to ask if they had any unreleased b-sides or demos they could play for me, but they didn't. Instead, Cone asked if I wanted to see the Blood In My Eyes video. Hell yeah! I won't ruin your experience by describing it to you, but I can say it's definitely worth waiting for. That wasn't anything Sum 41 -style, more like a horror splatter movie by Quentin Tarantino. :glad: And like I said in the video thread, it's not up to them when to release it. Since the government of Canada has funded it partly, they have to get an approval before releasing it. And slightly related, Deryck confirmed that they've left Island Records. No future plans yet, they'll wait and see.

I also told them that they should record a live DVD soon. Their reaction was "Does anyone still make those?". They said that these days it's not worth it, every show is filmed and posted on YouTube anyways. And even if they made one, the DVD would be ripped and posted on YouTube aswell, so no one would actually buy it. For example, Sake Bombs cost them about 200,000 dollars to make, so there's no way they would earn that money back if they made one today. Same thing about music videos, except that they cost even more, even the simple ones.

I also asked the trivia question that who sings the shouting parts in Mr. Amsterdam on the record. The answer was, Stevo, Dave and Deryck did them together. In We're All To Blame, they were shouted by Stevo and Dave.
Oh and Cone has again designed two of the new shirts they're selling. The "Blood In My Eyes" one with the eye, and the "Everybody Has A Secret" one.

That's about it for the info part. After chilling out and listening to Stevo singing Simple Plan with a Kermit the Frog imitation, we headed back upstairs, where the employees of the venue and Sum 41 crew guys had a party going on. Beer and shots, and Stevo doing a dance session, then back downstairs for another hour.


Needless to say, words can't describe this night. I don't think I can ever realize how awesome this was.


Click to view the fullsize image.
Last edited by TomiT14 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:25 am, edited 18 times in total.
User avatar

TomiT14
Moderator
 
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland
First name: Tomi
Age: 31
Gender:
PSN ID: TJT41
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Gregorovich on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm so jealous it's unreal. Must have been un-fucking-believable. And I've yet to go to a Sum show! D:

How do you guys always get to chill with the band after shows?
fuck this signature nonsense
User avatar

Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
 
Posts: 3145
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:25 am
Location: Leicester
First name: Gregor
Age: 21
Gender:
n00b: Jake
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Nic on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Winning!!!
Image
User avatar

Nic
Administrator
 
Posts: 4451
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Illinois
First name: Nic
Age: 26
Gender:
Twitter: nicbavetta

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Sum41Ant27 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:46 am

Gregorovich wrote:I'm so jealous it's unreal. Must have been un-fucking-believable. And I've yet to go to a Sum show! D:

How do you guys always get to chill with the band after shows?


This is what I want to know. The one thing that I would want to do in my life, the one thing, not find a girlfriend, not making a lot of money, not having 12459230 friends on facebook, the one thing I want from my life is to spend a hour with my favorite band. There's many that have said that, but it's completely different for me. Do you know people Tomi? How did you set this up? Please let me know.
Image
User avatar

Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Jersey
First name: Anthony
Age: 19
Gender:
360 Gamer Tag: Sum41Ant27

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby SumGeek on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:18 am

Really enjoyed reading your show review! Sounds like ya had the time of your life! I saw on Twitter that you were on your way and just booked a flight just hours before. I wish I could do something like that! haha. Thanks for all the info. I can't wait for them to add more songs in the setlist such as the ones they played in soundcheck! Also, I kind of thought the BIME video was something of that description. Will be on the lookout to see all the videos you have to upload as well.
Image
User avatar

SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
First name: Chelsea
Age: 23
Gender:
Twitter: chelsealouanne

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby sprinks41 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 am

I'm so jealous of you dude!

they've left Island Records??? wow I didnt kno that
User avatar

sprinks41
Walking Disaster
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:05 pm
First name: Jim
Age: 0
Gender:
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Andros on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 am

That's fucking awesome man! I hope they still play new songs that never played before, I wonder if there will be some kind of 'video update' for this tour?
User avatar

Andros
Dr. Dynamite
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:57 pm
Location: Zeta Reticuli
First name: Andros
Age: 32
Gender:
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby TomiT14 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:18 am

Andros wrote:That's fucking awesome man! I hope they still play new songs that never played before, I wonder if there will be some kind of 'video update' for this tour?


Oh yeah, they've been kinda off the hook ever since Matt left. But their drum tech Dan was filming the whole show, so I'd figure they'll have some kind of tour update "soon".
User avatar

TomiT14
Moderator
 
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland
First name: Tomi
Age: 31
Gender:
PSN ID: TJT41
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Billy_Spleen on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:27 am

great report, hope they will add Billy Spleen soon :)
User avatar

Billy_Spleen
Newbie
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:12 am
Location: Wuerzburg
First name: Jo
Age: 25
Gender:
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Ardi41 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 am

Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:I'm so jealous it's unreal. Must have been un-fucking-believable. And I've yet to go to a Sum show! D:

How do you guys always get to chill with the band after shows?


This is what I want to know. The one thing that I would want to do in my life, the one thing, not find a girlfriend, not making a lot of money, not having 12459230 friends on facebook, the one thing I want from my life is to spend a hour with my favorite band. There's many that have said that, but it's completely different for me. Do you know people Tomi? How did you set this up? Please let me know.

^this :ohshiz: :confusion:
Image
User avatar

Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:26 pm
Location: Germany
First name: Ardi
Age: 26
Gender:
PSN ID: ArdiSpleen
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby TomiT14 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 pm

Edited the first post with the link to the first video. I also forgot that I asked them about recording a live DVD, so I added that aswell.
User avatar

TomiT14
Moderator
 
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland
First name: Tomi
Age: 31
Gender:
PSN ID: TJT41
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby 182sins on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:47 pm

Epic win.
User avatar

182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:53 pm
Location: France
First name: Cyril
Age: 23
Gender:
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Mitchell on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:30 pm

TomiT14 wrote:
Andros wrote:That's fucking awesome man! I hope they still play new songs that never played before, I wonder if there will be some kind of 'video update' for this tour?


Oh yeah, they've been kinda off the hook ever since Matt left. But their drum tech Dan was filming the whole show, so I'd figure they'll have some kind of tour update "soon".


The show in Tilburg was partially filmed by their manager, so there's definitely footage out there.
User avatar

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:46 am
Location: The Netherlands
First name: Mitchell
Age: 24
Gender:
n00b: MetalMilitant41
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby TomiT14 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Bits and pieces coming back to my mind. I asked who sings the shouting parts in Mr. Amsterdam on the record. The answer was Stevo, Dave and Deryck did them together. In We're All To Blame, the screams were shouted by Stevo and Dave.
User avatar

TomiT14
Moderator
 
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland
First name: Tomi
Age: 31
Gender:
PSN ID: TJT41
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Gebirgskuchen on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Blood in my Eyes: The Best Song on SBM and the don't play it live, because most of the fans don't know the lyrics and can't handle the rhythm changes...-.-
User avatar

Gebirgskuchen
Moderator
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 4:31 pm
Location: Germany, Cologne
First name: Daniel
Age: 27
Gender:
AKA: G Man
Instrument 1: Vocals
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Guitar

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Ardi41 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Gebirgskuchen wrote:Blood in my Eyes: The Best Song on SBM and the don't play it live, because most of the fans don't know the lyrics and can't handle the rhythm changes...-.-

"fans"
Image
User avatar

Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:26 pm
Location: Germany
First name: Ardi
Age: 26
Gender:
PSN ID: ArdiSpleen
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Hoocher on Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:55 pm

I can't even begin to describe how jelous I am. I've been a dedicated fan of this band since the release of DTLI?. The thing is I live in Israel and there's no way they'll tour here anytime soon, I think. My question is, how did you manage to:
A: Film the show. I mean, I know people do it through cellphones and such, but the quality is pretty fine in your videos, looks like a decent camera, and for some reason I have the thought that it's been decided that using cameras at shows is not allowed anymore due to some reason (please correct me if I'm wrong).
B: How did you manage to spend a whole hour or more with the band? did you contact them before the show? do you know them from previous shows\events?
Your story sounds amazing, an epic win. It's sort of a hope\dream of mine since I was really young to experience that kind of adventure.

I'm asking all of these questions as I might buy tickets to Berlin to see their show. Anyway, seems like you had a blast, happy for you :)
Image
User avatar

Hoocher
Bunkface
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 pm
Age: 18
Gender:
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby TomiT14 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Hoocher wrote:A: Film the show. I mean, I know people do it through cellphones and such, but the quality is pretty fine in your videos, looks like a decent camera, and for some reason I have the thought that it's been decided that using cameras at shows is not allowed anymore due to some reason (please correct me if I'm wrong).


It depends very much on the venue. Some places have no problem with it, some places forbid using lightning (like Zurich, hence I have no pics to show you), some places forbid filming, and some places don't allow cameras at all.

If you're not sure about the camera policy, it helps if you're a guy. Just hide the camera into your pants to cover your crotch. If they search your stuff and pockets, that's the place they'll never touch, so you should be okay. In the crowd, don't use lightning if it's not allowed, otherwise you'll get caught fast. If they don't allow filming, be sure that you turn the red recording light off, or cover it with your finger. Also, cover the REC indicator on your screen, as well as the timer. Then, don't hold your hand still all the time, since that's a clear sign you're filming. Yes, it affects the quality, but the alternative is to get caught and lose your camera.

These are my experiences. Before my first show ever, I read this thread to be prepared.

Hoocher wrote:B: How did you manage to spend a whole hour or more with the band? did you contact them before the show? do you know them from previous shows\events?
Your story sounds amazing, an epic win. It's sort of a hope\dream of mine since I was really young to experience that kind of adventure.


I've met them a few times before at earlier shows. The first time I got to see them, I was extremely lucky. I ran to their crew member on the street by random, and asked if I could meet the band. And that's how it all started. Here's the full story.

Hoocher wrote:I'm asking all of these questions as I might buy tickets to Berlin to see their show. Anyway, seems like you had a blast, happy for you :)


Definitely go do that. That's what I did. Sum 41 never came to Finland, so I figured I have to travel abroad to see them. That was the only way.
User avatar

TomiT14
Moderator
 
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland
First name: Tomi
Age: 31
Gender:
PSN ID: TJT41
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Hoocher on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:59 pm

TomiT14 wrote:
Hoocher wrote:A: Film the show. I mean, I know people do it through cellphones and such, but the quality is pretty fine in your videos, looks like a decent camera, and for some reason I have the thought that it's been decided that using cameras at shows is not allowed anymore due to some reason (please correct me if I'm wrong).


It depends very much on the venue. Some places have no problem with it, some places forbid using lightning (like Zurich, hence I have no pics to show you), some places forbid filming, and some places don't allow cameras at all.

If you're not sure about the camera policy, it helps if you're a guy. Just hide the camera into your pants to cover your crotch. If they search your stuff and pockets, that's the place they'll never touch, so you should be okay. In the crowd, don't use lightning if it's not allowed, otherwise you'll get caught fast. If they don't allow filming, be sure that you turn the red recording light off, or cover it with your finger. Also, cover the REC indicator on your screen, as well as the timer. Then, don't hold your hand still all the time, since that's a clear sign you're filming. Yes, it affects the quality, but the alternative is to get caught and lose your camera.

These are my experiences. Before my first show ever, I read this thread to be prepared.

Hoocher wrote:B: How did you manage to spend a whole hour or more with the band? did you contact them before the show? do you know them from previous shows\events?
Your story sounds amazing, an epic win. It's sort of a hope\dream of mine since I was really young to experience that kind of adventure.


I've met them a few times before at earlier shows. The first time I got to see them, I was extremely lucky. I ran to their crew member on the street by random, and asked if I could meet the band. And that's how it all started. Here's the full story.

Hoocher wrote:I'm asking all of these questions as I might buy tickets to Berlin to see their show. Anyway, seems like you had a blast, happy for you :)


Definitely go do that. That's what I did. Sum 41 never came to Finland, so I figured I have to travel abroad to see them. That was the only way.


First of all, thank you for making time and answering my long post :).
Regarding to the fliming issue I'll sure be looking at that thread and find out what's the policy in Berlin. For the band part, so you're basically saying I just need some luck? staying after the show in the backstage helps? or should I somehow contact one of them and ask their permission? damn you're luck XD
Image
User avatar

Hoocher
Bunkface
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 pm
Age: 18
Gender:
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Re: Epicness in Zurich

Postby Hentaiman on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Wow Tomi that's a great story!
Awesome setlist as well. The only thing missing for me here is really Reason to Believe, and maybe also Count Your Last Blessings which they played in the last shows, I would definitely love to see it live!
Then Again Hyper-Insomnia is a great song to return to their setlist!

Too bad they dropped Blood In My Eyes... it's one of the best songs on the record, and it's the upcoming single so that's pretty stupid not to play it at all. Then Again, when Baby You Don't Wanna Know was released last summer as a single, they only played it like in 4 or 5 shows or whatever, which was also a poor way to promote the single.

Too bad they don't have any finished B-sides from the SBM sessions.. Cone was talking about all these C-sides and I really thought we might see them anytime soon maybe, but considering they're not even finished songs I guess we'll not. Even if they were like unmixed demos or whatever, but I guess those aren't even full songs. The BIME acoustic sounds interesting, I wish they would release it soon though, before the next album, cuz I know that we'll probably only see a new album from them around 2014.
User avatar

Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
 
Posts: 6395
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:45 pm
Location: Israel
First name: Philip
Age: 23
Gender:
n00b: HilgaMan
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Next

Return to The Sums

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron