HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

ADROOH Tunings live?

Post by HugoDisasters »

How do they play ADROOH without changing guitars or tuning? Do they have Drop D/half step or Standard?
How do they manage to play Sick of Everyone without Drop D?

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Re: ADROOH Tunings live?

Post by SickofEveryone »

HugoDisasters wrote:How do they play ADROOH without changing guitars or tuning? Do they have Drop D/half step or Standard?
They prob just play it a half step and just regular chords. I usually put the drop d chords into regular chords when I play. I would they would do it like fat lip.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

SickofEveryone wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:How do they play ADROOH without changing guitars or tuning? Do they have Drop D/half step or Standard?
They prob just play it a half step and just regular chords. I usually put the drop d chords into regular chords when I play. I would they would do it like fat lip.
Yeah but they can't do the darker chords on SoE & HM on Half Step.. or do they have the half step tuning with Drop D?
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I imagine they just don't strike the low E string when playing the open chord that would be played in Drop D. I've always wondered the same thing.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I imagine they just don't strike the low E string when playing the open chord that would be played in Drop D. I've always wondered the same thing.
But that can't be since the SoE intro riff is
0-8-7-3-5 (all the notes are played on a low D string)

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I imagine they just don't strike the low E string when playing the open chord that would be played in Drop D. I've always wondered the same thing.
But that can't be since the SoE intro riff is
0-8-7-3-5 (all the notes are played on a low D string)
Oh yeah, that one would be a problem. Maybe just Tom's guitar is tuned to Drop D? I haven't seen many live videos in forever so I don't know if Tom switches Les Pauls at all throughout the show.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Jeremy Kill wrote: I haven't seen many live videos in forever so I don't know if Tom switches Les Pauls at all throughout the show.
He does.

Btw, they always tune their guitars a half step down.. so they might just use a pedal to go one octave lower/higher
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I haven't seen many live videos in forever so I don't know if Tom switches Les Pauls at all throughout the show.
I'm not tech savvy with guitars at all, so I can't contribute in this topic. But to this quote I can say that yes, Tom switches guitars during the show.

At 3:50
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:I haven't seen many live videos in forever so I don't know if Tom switches Les Pauls at all throughout the show.
I'm not tech savvy with guitars at all, so I can't contribute in this topic. But to this quote I can say that yes, Tom switches guitars during the show.

At 3:50
Okay, then maybe his guitars are tuned differently since Reason to Believe is played in Drop D and Skumfuk is in Standard.

Also when I refer to the tunings of the songs I mean how it is on the album. So live it would be a half step equivalent.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Real guitarists play in drop B.

Or Open G acoustically.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote: I haven't seen many live videos in forever so I don't know if Tom switches Les Pauls at all throughout the show.
He does.

Btw, they always tune their guitars a half step down.. so they might just use a pedal to go one octave lower/higher
I've always thought that about pedals.
Could somebody explain how it works exactly? Cause i find this tuning stuff way confusing as Deryck seems to never switch guitars, Usually don't see Tom doing it. Also that video of them doing the whole ADROOH (without changing instruments?)

Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

HugoDisasters wrote:Deryck seems to never switch guitars
He does switch guitars.. he usually has around 3 guitars for 1 show(excluding the telecaster he uses on pieces)
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

HugoDisasters wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
He does.

I've always thought that about pedals.
Could somebody explain how it works exactly? Cause i find this tuning stuff way confusing as Deryck seems to never switch guitars, Usually don't see Tom doing it. Also that video of them doing the whole ADROOH (without changing instruments?)
An Octave Pedal takes the sound of your guitar and adds a pitch that's an octave lower (Octave Down) or an Octave Higher (Octave Up) and blends the notes to give you a changed pitched sound. Octave Pedals are also considered pitch shifters or pitch shifting type devices because they affect the pitch of the sound to blend an octave. *
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Huh. If they need to play in drop-d it only takes like one second to tune? I don't see the problem.. It's so quick to tune most people wouldn't even realize it happening. I'd think they just tune their guitars to drop-d when ever they need it, occasionally change their guitars aswell. During a long gig guitars tend to need tuning in any case though since some of the strings are sure to get out of tune. =)
Octave-pedal sounds unlikely to me, since it makes the sound somewhat different/worse.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I don't really understand the question haha, if the song is in drop-d why wouldn't they play it in that?
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer

Post by Mitchell »

X^2 wrote:Huh. If they need to play in drop-d it only takes like one second to tune? I don't see the problem.. It's so quick to tune most people wouldn't even realize it happening. I'd think they just tune their guitars to drop-d when ever they need it, occasionally change their guitars aswell. During a long gig guitars tend to need tuning in any case though since some of the strings are sure to get out of tune. =)
Octave-pedal sounds unlikely to me, since it makes the sound somewhat different/worse.
None of them have tuning equipment.. The guitar techs do all the tuning. And when one of their guitars seems to be ou of tune they just use another one. I've seen it happen at ond of the shows I attented. Deryck realized his guitar was slightly out of tune, so he signaled larry and like 5 seconds later he was using another guitar