New Album Didn't Feel Like Enough

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jeremy Kill
New Album Didn't Feel Like Enough

Post by Jeremy Kill »

It's been almost a year since the album was officially released and I have to admit that I don't feel Screaming Bloody Murder satisfied my expectations 110%. I feel there was so much more music written and showcased in studio updates than what ended up on the album. I know that sounds kind of obvious, but the album just feels too short for me.

After all this time I can say that I would rather have Time for You to Go and Baby You Don't Wanna Know cut in favor of two more songs in the vein of the rest of the album. They just don't fit an album called "Screaming Bloody Murder" where the album booklet is splattered with blood. It's not "balancing out" the album either. You go from not getting what you want to God setting you up to bleed to skumfuks to the happiest sounding rock & roll song ever to a girl killing her boyfriend to a break-up song. It just sticks out and interrupts that flow of darkness that overcomes this album. They would've worked nicely as B-Sides or bonus tracks on special editions of the album. They should've said "fuck it, let it be a dark album." Chuck was like that and lots of people enjoyed Chuck.

Take Underclass Hero for example. Could you imagine throwing in two really dark songs so you could "balance out" the album? That album was consistently happy sounding. Even Count Your Last Blessings sounds upbeat because Deryck doesn't sing it with an angry voice and the melodies are quite poppy. The whole album is upbeat. To me, Underclass Hero feels more "complete" than Screaming Bloody Murder.

I made this thread to see if anyone else felt the same way. I'm craving more Screaming Bloody Murder. I'm not angry or depressed, but I just enjoy that album so much. I mean, I even listen to it when I'm happy.

Note: Also take into account that A Dark Road Out of Hell is supposed to be one song, then it really feels like the album lacks tracks!
Charlie
Re: New Album Didn't Feel Like Enough

Post by Charlie »

I disagree in some point, Underclass Hero has songs like "Dear Father" and "Best of me" wich... let's face it; that's NOT Sum 41 at alll. "No apologies", "This is goodbye" and "Take a look of yourself" shouldn't be bonus tracks, as same as "We're the same".

How many people here
thinks George W. Bush is a fuckin Moron?!

(they)
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

Charlie wrote: let's face it; that's NOT Sum 41 at alll. .
Deryck was also not Married before so of course his Music would change and sound Different
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Oh shit, dafuq? I forgot about Best of Me for some reason. That song was pretty slow; the rest did have their upbeat moments though, even Dear Father where the verse melody was similar to March of the Dogs. I liked the verse melody in No Apologies, but it didn't seem as colorful of a song as the ones that made the album. It just seemed plain. Take A Look at Yourself is my favorite of the B-Sides, but the similarities to a couple of other songs stopped me from truly enjoying it. I really like the flow of Underclass Hero though, it's easy to listen from track 1 all the way through. I wish Screaming Bloody Murder had the same flow, but I also love the songs a hundred fold more than Underclass Hero. Screaming Bloody Murder just feels scattered and all over the place to me. Underclass Hero actually felt more focused.

So let me recap:

Screaming Bloody Murder = More meaningful songs, scattered ideas, rough flowing album
Underclass Hero = Focused, smooth flowing, less emotionally-charged songs (Deryck's singing plays a big part)

I wish:

Screaming Bloody Murder = Consistently dark (but meaningful) songs, better flow from song to song
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

I still like their pre-UH stuff better, I listen to that stuff any day over UH or SBM.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I do like pre-UH era too. Sum 41 are not experts planning albums... Chuck (for example), It has amazing bad-ass songs! like "Welcome to hell", "I'm not the one", "Subject to change", "The bitter end" or "88". But what happened? Let's see the singles: "Some Say" (not so hard at all); "We're all to blame" (hard yes, but just half of the song); and "Pieces" (Meh..).

I think SBM is the "hardcore" part of Deryck... cause without Dave... If Deryck wanted to make a hard and dark album it only depends on himself

How many people here

(they)
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I feel the same ever since the album came out. When I heard baby you don't wanna know, I was like, "Wait seriously? This is like a pop punkish green day song" It's still the album I listen to the most right now, but after RTB, SBM, SF, I'll skip to JK, then ADROOH, and then skip to BWIB. Every album there's gonna be songs that you're gonna skip. That's what gives an album it's depth. There's screamo bands that I really can't get into because all their songs sound the same, it's good to have slow songs, but that's why they created the skip button! :razz:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Sum41Ant27 wrote: Every album there's gonna be songs that you're gonna skip.
i disagree. an album that is truly good will not have a single song that you skip (i can think of many, for me).

that being said, i think Screaming Bloody Murder is Sum 41's best album yet, even if it feels disconnected or disjointed. i will listen to SBM all the way through before i listen to any of there other albums front to back. the only reason it feels like not enough for me is that the band got shit promotion and toured everywhere except Canada before they had to stop. to me, it still feels like they haven't done anything of importance since Dave left.

I'm not saying the Dave needs to come back, fuck you if you think he should. anyone with any musical taste (and that means non-pop-punk lovers) can see that The Organ Thieves is the best thing thats ever happened to Dave. I see any fucking videos on the Organ Thieves and the comments are all "dave come back to sum 41". those people need to die, and that may include some of you (it's not personal, just shut the fuck up). I fucking love every song the Organ Thieves have come out with and I will without a doubt be buying their disc in April.

Sum 41 was my first favourite band, but sadly, i believe Sum 41 is dying. if they somehow get a resurgence in popularity and are able to tour to Canada without Deryck getting injured again, they may survive long enough for another album. Chances look slim.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

2712 wrote:...and toured everywhere except Canada before they had to stop.
Really? I'm from Argentina.. and I'm still waiting to see them live
2712 wrote:I'm not saying the Dave needs to come back, fuck you if you think he should.
Jaja sorry dude but Sum 41 IS NOT THE SAME without him.

And yes, musically speaking, The Organ Thieves are better. Just like Nick Jonas and his new band* but some people (and I mean a lot) still like the Jonas Brothers (Just an example)

*I know that you're thinking "Really? Nick Jonas?" It was just an example. Listen to them first to "see" what I am talking about ;)

How many people here

(they)
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Charlie wrote:
2712 wrote:I'm not saying the Dave needs to come back, fuck you if you think he should.
and you want them to be?

Follow me on Twitter!
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

I have been saying for quite some time now that the album is just... weird... or something.

I disagree that it needs MORE songs. If anything, you got EXTREMELY lucky with the amount of songs on the album. Currently, the industry seems to be limiting most artists to a number around 10, including intro tracks that clock in under 2 minutes. I wanted the album shortened from day one, and I said that songs like Time For You To Go, Baby You Don't Wanna Know, and I even recommended What Am I To Say (I fucking hate this song... still) to be removed. Overall, I think you should be extremely happy with the length... that's just my view.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

The problem of the album is that it has too many songs. As some others have already pointed out the album would be better off without Time For You To Go, What Am I to Say and Baby You Don't Wanna' Know.
I'm pretty sure the album would had received much better reviews in case it didn't have these 3 songs.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Yeah shouldn't have had Time For You To Go, Baby You Don't Wanna Know and What Am I To Say.

Then it should've had a really depressing moody interlude track. That would have made it a perfect album.

I think it's their 2nd or 3rd best album. Suits Deryck's voice way more than Chuck and DTLI?, and feels pretty meaningful. AKNF will always be my favourite, but for me it might just beat out HHOP for 2nd place.
Last edited by Tyler. on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I like all their albums, but I agree SBM didn't satisfy me like the other albums.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

well i think it's the best music they have ever written ... or let's be honest here ..the best deryck has ever written ... and even though it might be true that some of the songs didn't really fit into the album , but who are we to question their decisions ? don't get me wrong it would be sooo epic if they would release some of the other songs (especially the one in one of the updates i dont remeber wich update it was ) but in the end it's all up to deryck's vision ... he wanted the album to be like this and there's nothing we could change about this ..

and I think this is not the end of Sum 41 ... (well at least i hope so :S )
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

double post -.-
Last edited by Ardi41 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

2712 wrote:
Charlie wrote:
and you want them to be?
I'm just saying that 25% of Sum 41 is gone (Dave) and you can notice it listening UH or SBM

How many people here

(they)
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Charlie wrote:
2712 wrote:
Charlie wrote:
and you want them to be?
I'm just saying that 25% of Sum 41 is gone (Dave) and you can notice it listening UH or SBM
i don't get your point. yes, Dave is gone. yes, they sound different. is there anything we can do about it? fuck no, so stop bringing it up and worrying about it. who are we to say that Dave needs to come back so that we can have "old sum 41" back. "old" sum 41 is dead. deal with it.

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Look at Zebrahead- they lost their frontman a few years back and now they're doing better than ever. I can't believe we're still having this discussion 6 years on.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I agree that TFYTG, WAITS & BYDWK were not the best choices to put on. But I have a feeling the band have a ridiculous number of unused songs which could have fitted better into the album but didn't feel as 'polished' to Deryck. Remember they went into the studio intending to record around 20 songs? The album had 11 songs including We're the Same, and not including BYDWK & TFYTG because they were written later on, and with ADROOH as a single song like it used to be. That leaves around 10 songs put together in the studio but not finished. If you look through the compilation videos on YouTube you can see there is a substantial amount of material there which hasn't made the album, including the music in the trailer. The pitty is that we'll probably never get to see these songs except maybe in part in future albums. I just dislike how much of a control freak Deryck is, and not allowing more 'unpolished' or 'imperfect' songs on the album.
fuck this signature nonsense
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

People who want Dave back need to move on and accept the new Sum 41.