New Album Didn't Feel Like Enough

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Re: New Album Didn't Feel Like Enough

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Gregorovich wrote:Look at Zebrahead- they lost their frontman a few years back and now they're doing better than ever. I can't believe we're still having this discussion 6 years on.
I acually didn't like their newest album much, too many songs I skipped and it's like they went lighter on a lot of songs. I read any interview about it though. I think BTTW and Phoenix were better.

ANYWAY...
PTswim41 wrote:idk about you guys but i really want to hear this song:
We'll sadly never hear that as a whole song :(
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I wanted to hear that song that sounded kind of like Muse the most, I'll try find it.

Unless it made the album and I've just forgotten what it sounded like.
Last edited by Tyler. on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dbacks1694
First name: Ryan

Post by Dbacks1694 »

I agree completely in the sense that the album itself should have kept the dark and aggressive tone. Thats what I loved so much about Chuck (ironically with my favorite song being the softest sounding; Pieces). However, it really bums me out that the fun with the band is seeming almost non-existant. Not one of their songs on this album made me want to turn up real loud and show to my friends because I knew they'd all hate it. Sum 41 is not a very easily marketable band anymore. Their fans have stuck with the band and love them regardless, but for the band to be able to survive this present day shit hole music industry, they have to make some changes for their next album. I got all the pissed off Deryck Whibley I could want, now I want to hear something I can smile too. I hope that in the time the band has been letting Deryck recover that he has toyed with some ideas for the next record. But he's still likely not too happy not touring....great.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Tyler. wrote:I wanted to hear that song that sounded kind of like Muse the most, I'll try find it.

I asked Cone some time ago about that song and he say:
Yes we never finished that one. It is still something we may revisit in the future though.
MachineGun
First name: Sascha
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by MachineGun »

Andros wrote:
Tyler. wrote:I wanted to hear that song that sounded kind of like Muse the most, I'll try find it.

I asked Cone some time ago about that song and he say:
Yes we never finished that one. It is still something we may revisit in the future though.
maybe they'll put it on the next album or they rewrite it, like they did with the "intro" of reason to believe which was written around 2004 wasn't it ?!
Last edited by MachineGun on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

September 6, 2010 - Fürth
February 9, 2011 - Saarbrücken
August 7, 2012 - Würzburg
February 26, 2016 - Cologne
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

MachineGun wrote:maybe they'll put it on the next album or they rewrite it, like they did with the "intro" of reason to believe which was written around 2004 wasn't it ?!
Glad you brought this up.

Is it only me, or would the drum beat of Reason To Believe fit Chuck's Intro? Slightly different tempo, but to me it sounds like that they removed the drums from the Intro and used them in Reason To Believe instead.

Am I way off?
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

TomiT14 wrote:
MachineGun wrote:maybe they'll put it on the next album or they rewrite it, like they did with the "intro" of reason to believe which was written around 2004 wasn't it ?!

Is it only me, or would the drum beat of Reason To Believe fit Chuck's Intro? Slightly different tempo, but to me it sounds like that they removed the drums from the Intro and used them in Reason To Believe instead.

Am I way off?
well the "reason to believe" drums are basically the same drums as in "with me" ...
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Ardi41 wrote:
TomiT14 wrote:

Am I way off?
well the "reason to believe" drums are basically the same drums as in "with me" ...
Um, so? What does that have to do with what I said?

I was referring to this (06:21)
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

I love SBM, I can listen to every song without skipping. I was bit mmm with Time For You To Go and Baby You Don't Wanna Know to begin with but now think they're great songs, esp love Time For You To Go but it isn't kinda songs Sum 41 should have done, but it's cool they did something different at same time. I love the production and the sound of SBM album, although I do miss some old Sum 41 sounds and elements, I think drums, bass and vocals are amazingly produced to their best, nice clean and big.

I have noticed that too, lot albums are just 10 songs again like were years go lol

Still dying to see SBM live, hope they re-schedule the tour(s), dates, but Cone says another 2 years for next Sum 41 album on his twitter recently, which i think is just ridiculous, why can't they just work on it the now when they can, they take too long, people loose interest that way, but obviously wanna make good album too but I mean c'mon, 4 years for SBM and some songs that didn't make it to SBM or get finished sounded amazing too.

still love Sum 41 though, but just need to get bit more on scene again next time if they can.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil

Post by Emil »

I stand by my opinion that they should have kept Gil Norton, also the drums to Reason To Believe reminds me more of the Terminator them than anything else.
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

I can actually agree with that, I think they should have kept Gil Norton too when I think about it, maybe it would have been extra better cos that man is a legend as of Foo Fighters albums The Colour and Shape and Echo's, Silence, Patience and Grace which Echo's, Silence, Patience and Grace was produced brilliantly, so clean and tight.

For their next record they should just record 10 great songs and get Gil Norton on board all way, get it done good and proper.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Emil wrote:I stand by my opinion that they should have kept Gil Norton, also the drums to Reason To Believe reminds me more of the Terminator them than anything else.
This , the firts time I heard that song I was like "Sayonara/hasta la vista, baby"
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

This just made me realize I haven't listened to UH in a really long time, if I listen to The Sums it's always SBM. I guess when you grow with the album like most of us here did, it's impossible not to like it. So many tweets, video updates, audio clips... I'm really happy with the results and don't end up skipping any tracks. Maybe Time For You To Go sometimes and I agree with Jeremy, it would be badass to have two more tracks more in the veins of SBM music overall, though I really dig Baby.

I think they should have kept producer, it's never a bad thing to have someone to guide you. I'd like them to try to do fast rock'n'roll album with keyboards, synths etc. And maybe saxophone or some instrument like that. I wish they'd come out with EP pretty soon, just b-sides of SBM would be fine, I think everyone would be more than happy with that. We all know they have lots of unreleased material they could use, they could release EP easily.

So I guess in a way the album is too short but that's just because it's so good. Then again, isn't that just the typical reaction for good music, you want more of it?
Jeremy Kill
New Album Didn't Feel Like Enough

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I agree with Sam and the others that have said keeping Gil would've been a good thing for the record. I totally accept Deryck being a control freak and being a producer for his band's own albums now that I've heard material from his happiest point to his darkest point in life. That being said, it would've been nice to see what Gil could do with the material. Steve said that he wanted to turn it into some "emo/gothy shit" and while I can understand why that would suck, Sum 41 was pretty much there already. The title track and Skumfuk's intro are prime examples (as well as Blood In My Eyes).

I hope whatever songs didn't make this album make it on the next one. I'm always curious to what Deryck will write about because he's done all he could with Underclass Hero, touching on every subject musicians have touched upon in the past and with Screaming Bloody Murder he's basically exhausted the arduous breakup angle.