Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek
I would rather have had Cone leave Sum 41

Post by kILLDR3n »

Over Dave anyday.

To be honest if he ever left I really wouldn't care. Boring dude, boring position in the band, boring, boring, boring.
Tom should have taken over bass and Dave stayed on lead. That would be a cooler Sum 41.

Nuff fucking said.

- This post will probably make a lot of people mad.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Re: I would rather have had Cone leave Sum 41

Post by Dylan »

i can see where you're coming from. Cone really isn't a memorable part of the band. if Cone was the one who didn't "feel it" anymore, than i think it would have been easier for the rest of the band to carry on with a new bass player as opposed to a new lead guitarist.

but. none of that matter because Dave did leave, and you can't change it.

plus, Sum 41 is not going to be around for much longer anyways and you're crazy if you think they will be.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

How much longer do you think they will be? I think they have another album or two, but I bet a new album won't come until 2015.
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

everyone except Deryck is replaceable tbh
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

i'm surprised Cone hasn't left. i'd be so fed up with Deryck's shit by now. can you imagine writing songs for your BAND and having a single member determine whether or not they were album-worthy? the whole "C-sides" thing from the SBM sessions is a bit bullshit. i'm sure Tom had a few songs to offer as well, but SBM was the only one picked...and then re-worked by Deryck.

and this isn't anything new. remember the "making of underclass hero" studio video? when deryck tells cone that he isn't allowed to play his own bass parts and that he has to play exactly what the guitar is playing?
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

kevin5064 wrote: and this isn't anything new. remember the "making of underclass hero" studio video? when deryck tells cone that he isn't allowed to play his own bass parts and that he has to play exactly what the guitar is playing?
not trying to defend Deryck but that's just what a producer does
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Hideo_Kuze wrote:
kevin5064 wrote: and this isn't anything new. remember the "making of underclass hero" studio video? when deryck tells cone that he isn't allowed to play his own bass parts and that he has to play exactly what the guitar is playing?
A producer doesn't destroy your creative freedom, they just reign back over the top stuff and give a valid opinion on what would be better. That video was definitely Deryck just being an asshole.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

Hideo_Kuze wrote:
only a horrible producer would do that. but then again, deryck is a horrible producer. UH and SBM are proof of this. anyone who was a fan of the band before those albums should be able to agree with that statement. if not, i'm cool with "agreeing to disagree."
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

if they come out with a new album, it won't be for another 3 years at the least. and touring? if Derycks back doesn't get better, which lets be honest here, with Derycks lifestyle it won't ever get "better", they won't tour.

what i WISH they would do, is do an acoustic album and subsequent tour, like Foo fighters did in early 2000's. Deryck wouldn't have to move at all, plus it would be more artistic (in my opinion). but lets face it, its not gonna happen.

side note: i love Screaming Blood Murder, i think it's their best album, regardless of who produced it. Underclass Hero was garbage, save for maybe two songs; Speak of the Devil and Pull the Curtain. Deryck needs to stop being a control freak and realize that part of being in a band is to have collaboration between members. if he wants to write all the parts, do a god damn solo album. /rant over, good night.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

SBM and AKNF are the best albums so I dunno whether it was good Dave left or not. Probably good because they weren't going back to their roots at all, and Dave was too metal focussed whereas SBM is just dark, not really metal-ish at all.

I dunno, I love Dave, I wish he was back now, I guess it wouldn't of been a big deal if Cone left, but then again I might not have liked where Sum 41 went with that much metal influence.
Last edited by Tyler. on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I agree that the production on Underclass Hero and Screaming Bloody Murder aren't as polished as on their previous albums. However, I have to say that I kind of like that "rawer" sound in Screaming Bloody Murder. I think that's what they were trying to go for anyway for those albums. I remember Stevo saying something like "the instruments actually sound like instruments" in reference to Underclass Hero and Deryck saying "I'd like it to sound a little looser" in reference to a song from Screaming Bloody Murder. In a way, I agree with Stevo; the guitar sounds in Screaming Bloody Murder sound like they could be replicable with one amp and one guitar whereas Greig was layering guitars for a single riffs on the previous albums (albeit that verse riff in No Reason sounds cool as hell).

I've gotten over Dave leaving and to be honest, I'm not sure things would even work out differently if he stayed. Underclass Hero still would've happened (with guitar solos maybe) and Deryck still would've gotten divorced and Screaming Bloody Murder would've still happened.

I'm not sure how much longer Sum 41 will be around. In a perfect world (for me) they would be making music till they die. If Screaming Bloody Murder was to be their last album, I would be content with that. I think they have at the most, maybe two albums. That's a good 8 years right there accounted for, give or take. Anything can happen.

Sorry this is so long. I hope some of this makes sense. I just got home from work and I'm sooo sleeeepy.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

I'm getting so sick and tired of people saying they want Dave back/ wish he never left! He's never coming back. GET OVER IT!

Cone has never really been a loud guy but who cares, neither was Dave. Since when are band members required to be loud and drunk all the time? He has been one of their best friends all the time and that's what makes the band work, they're all different but they work sonwell together.

Cone also has his takes on the music and as you should know, one of his songs was a bonus track. We're the same is a good song but it didn't really fit the album, I don't even think you can compare ot to bydwk and tfytg. So that's why we don't see that much songs from cone getting released.

As for Deryck: the guy wrote almost all of the songs and he's the fucking producer, it's obvious that he's gonna say he doesn't like certain parts that cone came up with. He wrote those songs with a certain sound/vibe etc. In his head, so he wants certain parts to sound the way he had in mind. Besides, Cone also has his take on his parts, like he said: 'D has his takes on it and I have my takes on it, we're doing what's best for the song.'
It's weird that you guys are saying that Deryck's an asshole cause he always tells cone to do what he wrote instead of what cone wants, that happened twice in the makkng of UH and that's it. And in one of the SBM studio updates you see Cone choosing a bass for a certain part of the song, Deryck didn't agree with him at first but let him do what he wanted anyway.
So we've seen D tellin Cone what to do twice(1 of which they already agreed on how to play it before, cone just played it different while recording) and D letting Cone do what he wants once. So you guys got to see 3(2-1) of those kinda events over the recording of 2 fucking albums and you're saying Deryck's an egocentric asshole or whatever.

Tom wrote SBM and you guys are saying that D is an asshole cause he didn't let Tom write more songs for this album. That's probably because -Like Cone's songs- Tom's songs don't really fit Sum 41's style. Deryck always said that this album sounds completely different but still sounds like something Sum 41 would do. He asked Tom if he had some songs to bring to the table, so it's even possible that Tom only came up with one song.
D rewrote some stuff to make it sound like a Sum 41 song and wrote the lyrics cause Tom hadn't written any. I don't know about you guys but I'm paying for a Sum 41 album with Sum 41 songs on it, not for GOB songs(I do like them) and I like my songs with vocals. Shame on Deryck for making those songs sound the way they're supposed to sound.

As for the sound of their last 2 albums, Greig Nori probably had way more influence on that than Dave did, so why aren't you bitching about Greig Nori leaving the band? UH definitely was a good album, the only song I don't like is confusion and frustration cause it's kinda generic. It was written the way it is cause Deryck was in a happy state of mind so shame on him for gettin married and living a great life. He also said he didn't want to produce both albums but they couldn't find a good producer for those albums(cause they can't work with Greig Nori anymore).
And those saying that Deryck's a terrible producer should read some reviews, most of the reviewers that claim Sum 41/SBM are terrible also said the producing on that album was great.

I may or may not have forgotten something but this is all I'm gonna write on my iPhone for now.
Looks like this post is a long one as well. I have a similar excuse: I just woke up and I'm getting fed up with these pointless threads/ arguments about Dave.

Edit: this may not be the most coherent post but It's hard enough to write on an iPhone as it is
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

^ Calm down dude. People are allowed to talk about wanting Dave as much as they like, they don't need people telling them off for it.

"arguments about Dave"
No one before you even argued about Dave, or argued at all.

I will agree that Deryck is a good producer. SBM sounds great. I prefer the production to DTLI? and Chuck to be honest, he does a good job of everything on it. I think he is an egotistical guy though, you would have to notice that after all this time. He's definitely a nice guy, and probably has a relationship with his friends where he can sound somewhat harsh, but from all we've seen he seems a little too controlling of the band. You're right that it's possible Cone and Tom didn't have much to input, or their stuff didn't fit, but that's just a guess, from what we've actually seen Deryck doesn't give them that much input.
Last edited by Tyler. on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I'd say Dave had a major influence on the band even if he as both him and Deryck said didn't do anything besides the solos still Deryck wrote guitar parts that he thought Dave would like to play, so even if Dave didn't write anything he still affected the sound ALOT. Cone on the other hand, well, the bass on both UH and SBM is forgettable and especially on UH sounds doesn't stick out at all.

I still think they should have stuck with Gil Norton for SBM and because Deryck is a horrible producer and i'm not a big fan of either Jerry Finn or Greig Noris "sound" but they were great at making the songs themselves sound good even if they tended to put too many layers of guitars and whatnot on them.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Tyler. wrote:^ Calm down dude. People are allowed to talk about wanting Dave as much as they like, they don't need people telling them off for it.

"arguments about Dave"

No one before you even argued about Dave.
This whole thread is about Dave, he just said he'd rather have Cone leave than Dave..

And I'm getting so sick of people bitching about Dave coming back.. It's something I'd expect from people on youtube, not from people on this site.

That's why I reacted the way I did
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Lol I just don't think it was needed dude. It's a Sum 41 fansite, here of all places you'd talk about Dave and all that, and it's pretty boring at the moment with the band so some discussion about anything would be good, and this issues gonna come up every now and then. To be honest I'm surprised and how little talk of it there is, when I first joined I thought everyone would be AKNF fanboys like me, except with the Tom hate (I don't have that lol)

But yeah if arguing and rage gets out of hand you can just have these threads locked anyway yeah? But until then I kinda wanted some random Sums discussion :D
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Hm, now that I think of it Stevo's really the only "loud" member of Sum 41. Deryck is only loud when he's on stage because he has to be.
Emil wrote:I'd say Dave had a major influence on the band even if he as both him and Deryck said didn't do anything besides the solos still Deryck wrote guitar parts that he thought Dave would like to play, so even if Dave didn't write anything he still affected the sound ALOT. Cone on the other hand, well, the bass on both UH and SBM is forgettable and especially on UH sounds doesn't stick out at all.
I wonder if Deryck was really proud to have a guitarist like Dave in the band, which is why he wrote those songs to kind of appease him and keep him happy. So, I do find it odd and slightly funny how Deryck wrote riffs he thought Dave would like to play, but won't let Cone play what he would like to play. :silly:

PS - I don't think the "Dave should come back" discussions will ever leave 100%. I think it's best to just let it be and have people say what they need to say.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Personally I feel that Deryck is a good producer, but a very unique one. On one hand, I think the way he produces his music could not be more different to Nori's. You can hear in both the producing and the music itself that UH and SBM were really Deryck's records. I personally feel that the other members of the band had much more influence over Deryck's writing etc. before Dave left and Deryck started producing. I don't know if this is because Dave & Nori left, or because of Deryck's personal life with Avril. Anyway, I think UH and SBM were Deryck's two most personal albums and in the future I think we can expect a little more input from the other guys unless Deryck goes through any more life-changing experiences and has to write an album on it.
The one thing I don't like about Deryck's producing is that, actually a great deal of it doesn't sound as 'raw' as he wants it to. Take the intro to Skumfuk, or the sounds at the end of Back Where I Belong (which IMO ruined the epic ending). These things just really detract from the core sound of the album. But the best example is Exit Song. THIS proves that, had that track not been over-enhanced to shit, it would have actually been a very enjoyable conclusion to the album. As it stands, it just gives me a headache every time I listen.

As the Cone/Dave question, I do get your point and I do miss Dave being in the band but Cone's still a much more awesome guy than people give him credit for. Cone is probably my favourite band member just because he seems (like many famous bassists) really modest and nice. I have to say though, I do miss Dave's solos, which is something Cone or Tom could never replace. SBM was the only song on the past two albums which really came close to Dave's standards. I hope to see more badass solos in the next album, though as it stands I feel like Deryck is already pretty good at writing awesome riffs (Blood In My Eyes anyone?)
fuck this signature nonsense
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Cone was really awesome when I met him, he almost seemed like another one of our friends lol. I think the band just wouldn't of felt right without him there either now that I think about it.

And I know Dave isn't coming back, but when they do eventually break up/finish, imagine one last show with him and Tom on guitar? Shitting pants would ensue lol.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I always thought Cone was weird and super awkward, until I saw this:

http://youtu.be/QZ1OZw72RGY?t=45s

Then from that day forth I always liked Cone. He also likes The Gaslight Anthem, so that's a plus!