I would rather have had Cone leave Sum 41

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kevin5064
Hooch

Re: I would rather have had Cone leave Sum 41

Post by kevin5064 »

i'm over the fact that Dave left. but Tom and Cone need to be allowed to write songs for the band. if they "don't fit", Deryck should man up and have them all sit in a room and work together to make them fit. i don't think SBM is a good album because it wasn't a band effort. that retarded documentary on the website proves that it wasn't.

i firmly believe that the band had more input before the Dave/Greig departure. just go on youtube and search "making of does this look infected" or "making of chuck" you'll see that Steve and Cone both confidently talk about the album and show that they played a role in the creation of it. all SBM interviews are focused on Deryck. the rest of the members really have nothing to say because they weren't there.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i firmly believe that the next album the make NEEDS to be a cross-collaboration with every single person involved. Deryck needs to NOT write songs on his own and the band NEEDS to get together and JAM SONGS OUT TOGETHER. also the need for a producer is painfully obvious, however the band could do the next album on their own at derycks house PROVIDED that they write songs together as stated above.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

kevin5064 wrote:i'm over the fact that Dave left. but Tom and Cone need to be allowed to write songs for the band. if they "don't fit", Deryck should man up and have them all sit in a room and work together to make them fit. i don't think SBM is a good album because it wasn't a band effort. that retarded documentary on the website proves that it wasn't.

i firmly believe that the band had more input before the Dave/Greig departure. just go on youtube and search "making of does this look infected" or "making of chuck" you'll see that Steve and Cone both confidently talk about the album and show that they played a role in the creation of it. all SBM interviews are focused on Deryck. the rest of the members really have nothing to say because they weren't there.
In update 31 or 32 D asks Tom to jam with him on bydwk or tfytg maybe even we're the same. So they definitely work on it together.

And in one of the studio updates they clearly say D asked Tom if he had some songs he wanted to put on the album.. The reason just one of Tom's made it on the album could've had 2 reasons
1. He just submitted 1 song
2. The song just wasn't good enough
Same thing goes for Cone's work, and tbh there's no point in using songs that just aren't good enough for the sake of having the work of Cone and Tom on the album..

And saying you don't like sbm cause it wasn't a band effort just makes no sense, usually people like albums because of how they sound/the lyrics or whatever.. Not because of who wrote/recorded it.

And the SBM documentary focusses on Deryck that much cause it was filmed by Matt and Matt was with Deryck all the time + Steve and Cone were done in about 3 days and Deryck was in the studio for another month and a half..

As for the making of dtli and chuck..
DTLI: it's a 2 minute video which starts with 45 seconds of random footage with p4p playing over it.. The. There's a part of D recording huper insomnia when he gets distracted and has a laugh with greig.. Followed by them having dinner and it ends with them listening to a song while heart attack is dubbed over it..

Chuck: lots of footage of them recording guitar and a shot of steve playing the drums.. The rest of the video consists of cone and steve being interviewed.
The interview consists of them talking about their musical influences, pre-pro at Deryck's house, the different instruments they used on the album and the fact that they play their instruments better than they used to..

I may have forgotten a thing or 2 but I'm 99% sure that they didn't talk about having a lot of input..
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

kevin5064 wrote:i'm over the fact that Dave left. but Tom and Cone need to be allowed to write songs for the band. if they "don't fit", Deryck should man up and have them all sit in a room and work together to make them fit. i don't think SBM is a good album because it wasn't a band effort. that retarded documentary on the website proves that it wasn't.
I don't mind Screaming Bloody Murder being a non-band effort to be honest. It's just one of those albums that Deryck needed to do because of his divorce. He's writing the songs, so it's understandable he's going to make them sound the way he wants.

If anything, Deryck should've been more lenient during the Underclass Hero sessions. He was happy, married and he was excited to be doing a new album. If I was in Deryck's position at that time I wouldn't have given a shit about a slight variation in bass or that ONE NOTE (lol) in the title track for Underclass Hero.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

I made this thread about Cone. Dave was included because that's what happened, he left. But say if there was never any discussion of anybody leaving I still wouldn't have minded Cone not being in Sum 41. This thread wasn't meant to be about Dave, but I guess everybody else wanted it to be.
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

2712 wrote:i firmly believe that the next album the make NEEDS to be a cross-collaboration with every single person involved. Deryck needs to NOT write songs on his own and the band NEEDS to get together and JAM SONGS OUT TOGETHER. also the need for a producer is painfully obvious, however the band could do the next album on their own at derycks house PROVIDED that they write songs together as stated above.
Reading through this thread, I wanted to say Sum 41 is NOT a jam band. Or recently at least. Deryck is the music of Sum 41. It's his band and the others know that. I agree with you though that they should just get together and make music. That's what being a real band is. The truth is obvious though, Sum 41 is just as much of a solo project for Deryck than it would be if he went "solo".
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I don't see Sum 41 as Deryck's band, he started it together with Steve and Dave joined shortly after. So i've always felt that they were always a "band" rather than Deryck's project. It's not like the Foo Fighters, which truly are Dave Grohl's band, where he started the band and then picked the musicans he wanted.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Well, we are all allowed to express our opinions on the topic here since the first post was very straight forward with theirs. I too am tired of the Dave comments but it's to be expected. Sum 41 has been without him for 6 years. I understand his decision and am happy about where The Sums are today. They did what any band would of done.

As much as a great musician Dave is, he made that decision. The Sums moved forward from it. And that's that. I'm not going to get into everyones contribution to the band because that's all been talked about.

Of course you can never replace Dave. All I know is, I wouldn't want to ever lose another member of Sum 41. It wouldn't be the same. I really love the friendship between Cone, Stevo and Deryck. On another note, I know every band member appreciates the fans, but I feel as if Cone genuinely cares. It would have a big impact on me if he ever left but he's not going anywhere.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I can't imagine any of the remaining members to leave the band. I think The Sums will continue with the current lineup until they will call it quits and continue with other projects / as solo artists.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

blackhawk1105 wrote: And saying you don't like sbm cause it wasn't a band effort just makes no sense, usually people like albums because of how they sound/the lyrics or whatever.. Not because of who wrote/recorded it.
okay then, i don't like the fact that the albums lacks the flow that was present in their past work. even UH sounded like a full album, whereas this seems like a collection of bsides. songs like "Time For You To Go" and "Baby you Don't Wanna Know" do not fit on this album AT ALL. it's horribly obvious. you can not possibly disagree with that statement. they would have been better off as a 7" release or something. "What Am I To Say" doesn't fit either...it sounds like bad combination of "With Me" and "Best Of Me" (two of their worst songs, imo)

Songs like "Reason To Believe" and "Back Where I Belong" could have easily been two of my favorite Sum 41 songs of all time. they both start out kicking ass but then fall off the face of the earth with watered down endings (this applies to many songs on the album). BWIB should have had a better ending than a bunch of half-assed power chord strums played to steve fucking around on drums."88" was a perfect example of how a song like that should end.

the entire album just feels like it was done in one take while Deryck was drunk. and from what we've seen, it probably was. i think he spent most of the studio time partying as opposed to working. this definitely could have been their best effort if they all had sat down with a producer and worked everything out until it was perfected.

if they would have just released the EP in 2009 with those four/five songs they originally had, i'd probably love it. but unfortunately, as an album, i feel like it's mostly filler and unfinished drunken ideas.
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

Tyler. wrote:
Hideo_Kuze wrote:
kevin5064 wrote: and this isn't anything new. remember the "making of underclass hero" studio video? when deryck tells cone that he isn't allowed to play his own bass parts and that he has to play exactly what the guitar is playing?
not trying to defend Deryck but that's just what a producer does
A producer doesn't destroy your creative freedom, they just reign back over the top stuff and give a valid opinion on what would be better. That video was definitely Deryck just being an asshole.
i don't think deryck's being an asshole, it's just his band. he's the one who's written all the songs we know and love thus far (minus the c-sides and most of the dave-era solos), and i'm all for all the songs coming from one source. that's why cone's got opmd and tom's got gob (even though they really seem non-existent nowadays). i feel like all the songs coming from deryck solely makes for more cohesive, better-flowing albums anyway.

also, about wishing cone left, i'd never want him to go, but if anyone did, i'd choose him. someone earlier said it, but deryck really is the only irreplaceable member. no deryck, no sum 41. and if they tried to pull some bullshit like "queen" (without freddie mercury) or "sublime" with rome (without brad nowell), i'd stop listening.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

deryck wrote those "songs we love" with producers. greig nori is credited as a song writer for almost every song (alongside deryck and some with dave) on DTLI and Chuck. just buy those official music books, above each song they straight up list who wrote it. it's not like they just made the credits up either. those publishers buy a license to transcribe the music and have to list the artists who wrote each individual song.

and AKNF probably would have been shit without Jerry Finn. in that somewhat recent alternative press article with Deryck, he says that the band just used the labels money to shoot up coke and get wasted during that recording session. Jerry probably worked his ass of to make that album flow, otherwise it might have shattered his solid reputation as an amazing producer.

if it boggles your minds that Sum 41 was one of those bands that required extensive writing help from producers, you guys need to wake up.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

I wouldn't like to see any more of the original members leave the band, as all fans do with their favourite band. I agree Deryck is a control freak and cannot get along with producers etc etc so he does the job himself, I personally enjoy his production of albums. He goes into the finest details. But for a next album I'd like to see a change in the production style and hopefully see him loosen the reigns allowing contribution in the writing process from the other members, and obviously have a good producer he gets along with. Yes it's his band as he does the material, or has been apart of it all but he needs to loosed up a bit and see what can happen during a collaboration and be open to his bandmates ideas. Although Cone doesn't contribute a lot to in terms of the final studio recordings, he is the energy during live shows and if he left they wouldn't be the same live. I'd love Deryck to see him as able to contribute to the writing process as well as BrownTom as they write good material. Anyhoo, that's all I have to say on that matter...............Meanwhile, I like big butts and I cannot lie.
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
RileSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Riley
Instrument 2: Guitar Hero Guitar

Post by RileSum »

I honestly could give less of a fuck about most of this. As long as I enjoy the music, Deryck can do whatever the fuck he wants.
I want to fly, Can you take me far away, Give me a star to reach for, Tell me what it takes, And I’ll go so high, I’ll go so high, My feet won’t touch the ground, its my wings, That pull the strings, I bought these dreams, That all fall down
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Sum 41 will be making music until the end of time. Enough said.

There will be no razz face at the end of this post.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

who's Dave?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

RileSum wrote:I honestly could give less of a fuck.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://xe9.xanga.com/494f43fa6053225047 ... 793565.jpg[/imgwidth]
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

dbauer91 wrote: i don't think deryck's being an asshole, it's just his band. he's the one who's written all the songs we know and love thus far (minus the c-sides and most of the dave-era solos), and i'm all for all the songs coming from one source. that's why cone's got opmd and tom's got gob (even though they really seem non-existent nowadays). i feel like all the songs coming from deryck solely makes for more cohesive, better-flowing albums anyway.

also, about wishing cone left, i'd never want him to go, but if anyone did, i'd choose him. someone earlier said it, but deryck really is the only irreplaceable member. no deryck, no sum 41. and if they tried to pull some bullshit like "queen" (without freddie mercury) or "sublime" with rome (without brad nowell), i'd stop listening.
I agree

Deryck writing all the songs alone make them obviously more personal but also more real, authentic and less generic
everyone can write songs about getting drunk or being high
singing 10 songs about Avril and gettin dumped kinda turns Sum41 into Deryck's solo project, but I don't mind as long as it sounds like SBM
it may sound messy at times but at first everyone called American Idiot a messy album too
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

TomiT14 wrote:
RileSum wrote:I honestly could give less of a fuck.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://xe9.xanga.com/494f43fa6053225047 ... 793565.jpg[/imgwidth]
Nice
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Hideo_Kuze wrote: but at first everyone called American Idiot a messy album too
Wtf, really? That album's cohesive and flows so well.