The Evolution of the Sums

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

bizzyd676
First name: Tone
The Evolution of the Sums

Post by bizzyd676 »

How did all of Sum 41 changes in style affect yalls opinion of the band overtime? Record sales indicate that the casual fans tuned out, but what about my true 41ers.

Also do we maybe have some newer fans who possibly could be casual in here right now? If so what song put you on?

My Journey:
For me AKNF was golden, that record was pretty much the score for that period of my existence (End of elementary). Every song was purposefully empathetic with just a flare of sarcasm and a spike of nihilism. Lol they even made songs about chicks just aggressive enough to still be cool. At this point I was definitely in awe of them. Their persona was ill, the videos they put out were fun, not excessively goofy and cornball, but cool enough to want to emulate. Compared to Linkin Park who was my other favorite at the time, these guys weren't just some nerds who made good music, they were the whole package! Punk kids lol

When DTLI came out the singles had me convinced this band was special and really about something (6th Grade-2002). Their videos still had this sarcastic flare that made me want to live their lives even more. It was also at this time i saw the the early tape where they fuckin it up everywhere lol i remember i was so happy to see boobies thanks to my Sums! I listened to the whole album straight from under the christmas tree and kept it in the spinner for a very long time, but soon my interest in the album would waver cause as a kid i was happy and didnt want to hear all that "whoa is our world shit" at that time and then 50 cent came out lol.

As fate would have it for a good 8 years i would take a break from pop punk and alt rock and consume my life with hip hop.

One day however recently, i was driving a different car than normal without an ipod setup and had to grab some cds, AKNF and DTLI just so happened to be in grabbin distance. At 20+ years, now im listenin with a new set of ears and DTLI is startin to hit home a lot harder. I understood their disdain alot better this time around with more life experience under my belt. I became intrigued which led to a youtube search where i would come across the Pieces video. My immediate thought was "what the fuck happened to Deryck?" Had he gone softy on me lol this was early 2010, needless to say i was turned off. I was resistent at first but as Spring and Summer came around i needed something to lift me up, and after some seaches i came across Angels With Dirty Faces, and thought the cd cover art was really cool.

I got it and Chuck was the shit, it helped me through so many hard times i was facing, almost as if god had given me this cd at this time on purpose... So hard, lyrical, and technically brash. This band of my childhood had done some growing and became a little more informed about their surroundings. Also almost symbolically, Deryck was no longer Bizzy D, but simply himself. Although he was still on the same aimlessly hopeless mission that he had embarked on in the album prior, it was now more suited for him and the group as a whole as they all became noticeably more proficient and distinct with their instruments. They were no "pop punk" band anymore but a true rock and roll hybrid. I was also able to buy into their concern for the plight of society better this time because they had the perfect background for the chaos. These were all anthems of misery which i would scream the lyrics aloud to anyone in standing distance who would listen, including my now xgf who they seemed to be talking about on every song lol

To my surprise and dismay, after a quick wiki search, i found out frickin Dave was long gone with his thrashing but i still approached UH with high hopes eager to see what Deryck's lead capabilities consisted of. At first i didnt like the title track or its video, it felt so forced and like they were deliberately trying to go backwards. Deryck's bleach blonde hair threw this indicator up as well, but after a couple impulse watches of the Walking Disaster video my faith was somewhat rekindled. At first listen, i heard vintage sum, but something was missing. I just didnt sense the ferocity of the Deryck id grown to love. He was calm and settling lol, but overtime despite my initial perception the catchy hook melodies and bridges throughout the album would keep ringing in my head at the most akward time and id be urged to listen to the songs again and again to get it out. Repeating this process several times i would start to hear what he was saying and even reading the lyrics. This proved to me they didnt digress at all, Deryck was just forced now to evolve musically and draw from the truest form of himself shedding his naive sense of the vaguest miseries, and beginning to focus more on his personal life [hindsight, Avril may have been the best thing that could have happened to him]. Also in him developed a real soulful falsetto that somehow still remained distinctly sum.

To my surprise I became elated when i found out i was back just in time!

I caught the SBM anticipation and was ecstatic about being able to be once again apart of the Sum movement. I was lucky enough to come across this site where i kept up with every update, and was for the first time in a long time actually anticipating music. The tour video for the single was so dope to me, i thought they should have let it out just like that. I would watch that and the Skumfuk cartoon joint at least once a day. When it came out, i was pleased to see another progression from the band. Like UH and AKNF this album had much more music directly about Deryck's first person perspective, but like Chuck and DTLI it was hard edge, dark, technical and largely epic. I sensed Deryck was really carving out a niche for himself as a great producer, very theatric without being broadway like Green Day. I love the album and think its there best musical effort yet, but i was extremely dissapointed in the way it was promoted. No dope new intentionally done videos for me to enjoy while im procrastinatin on youtube. Nothing solid to show off to my doubting buddies to prove Sum 41 still had it? I thought of a million things they could have done in that location for no budget which would have been perfect for BYDWTK... This was the album that should have gotten the most exposure, but the name probably had alot to do with its underground treatment by the label lol

Regardless tho, this group remarkably combined all of their best elements and made their most touching record to date. Now that Deryck says he has all that negative shit out of his head, i cannot wait for their next effort. Imagine a grown, happy, relaxed and rich Deryck and the different types of music him his band are capable of making. Scary i know!!! Look for the next album they drop to be the one that makes them legendary, cant deny talent and drive.

I dont know about yall though, but I am most definitely already a fan for life
Last edited by bizzyd676 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:59 am, edited 12 times in total.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re: The Evolution of the Sums

Post by Ardi41 »

bizzyd676 wrote: I dont know about yall though, but I am most definitely already a fan for life
hell yeah !
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Ardi41 wrote:
bizzyd676 wrote: I dont know about yall though, but I am most definitely already a fan for life
hell yeah !
I really like your sig. Darko is an awesome!
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I listen to albums depending on what mood I'm in. So far I haven't listened to AKNF or HHOP because with what I'm going through I need more anger, more aggression! So I'm glad to see the way they've progressed, but there's going to be a point where Deryck might go back to more poppy stuff, but not a whole album's worth.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

I feel like the next album will be in the vein of BYDWK and TFYTG, considering Deryck really said he's happier now and even they are the last songs he wrote for SBM, with all the dark songs being written around 2008-2009, but these two were written last around March-April 2010, so I bet this is the more upbeat happier yet-new-unexplored-by-Sum 41-genre he intends to take on the next record.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Hentaiman wrote:I feel like the next album will be in the vein of BYDWK and TFYTG, considering Deryck really said he's happier now and even they are the last songs he wrote for SBM, with all the dark songs being written around 2008-2009, but these two were written last around March-April 2010, so I bet this is the more upbeat happier yet-new-unexplored-by-Sum 41-genre he intends to take on the next record.
This.
i doubt sums will have another record, but if they do- it'll probably be they're worst i think :confusion:
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Don't think it'll be their worst. And I'm sure there gonna another one, but not before 2014 if not later. Actually i'm not sure, if Deryck would've started writing it back when he wrote BYDWK and TFYTG or around that time or at least until this summer, I"m sure he could've written a cool upbeat rock'n'roll album. Now after all the back injury again and stuff, I'm not sure... I mean, who knows... he might be in a happier place in life rather then the divorce misery he gone through while writing SBM , but i'm sure all of this back thing isn't easy for him and who knows, maybe now when he's recovering and not touring, he's writing some darker stuff, who knows...
With Deryck we can't know, maybe that upbeat rock'n'roll style was relevant to last year, who knows what's up in Deryck's mind right now. I'm sure that now that he's recovering he's got plenty of time to himself, and maybe he even wrote a couple of songs, hard to believe they'll be happy with him going through all this pain.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

SickofEveryone wrote:
Ardi41 wrote:
hell yeah !
I really like your sig. Darko is an awesome!
thanks man :) it's like the best movie of all time !!
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

Apologies for my long ass post lol i was super hyped up on adderal trying to study for finals...

Anyway, why are some of ya'll so certain they wont drop another album? In my lifetime, ive never seen a rock band really just stop... Whats with that assumption? For fans, yall sure do have minimal faith in them boys. Im positive its not over