Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

My day with Sum 41 PART TWO BITCHZ!

Post by Nic »

Ok I wrote a lot of this right after this awesome day....in March. I'm sorry it took so long but hurr it iz.

-------

Wazzup Skumfuks? I'm on Spring Break right now, so I haven't had much time to sit down and write about everything that happened last weekend. I'll do my best to remember how it all went.

Let's start at the beginning, shall we? I found out about this show in Merrionette Park, IL (suburb of Chicago) a week before it was suppose to happen. How I didn't hear about a show so close to me sooner is beyond me? I guess the band never announced it really. It was a 21+ radio show so definitely not the average Sum show. Once I found out about it, I texted Matt telling him that Sum 41 was playing really close to me and I was definitely hitting up the show. He told me that it was going to be great seeing each other again and that he make sure I was "working" at the show so I could get in for free. Cool.

Fast forward to the day of the show.

The Trip

Chicago is about a 3 and a half hour drive for me. I decided to go early and check out a college while I was up there. I left my house around 9 AM. I got a text from Matt at 11 AM asking how far away I was and that they were just now getting into Chicago. After some conversation about the venue and the past shows, I found out that I was staying in the same hotel as the band/crew. Win (Did I mention this was win?). All the band was doing from now to the time of the show was chillin' at the hotel. From this point, I knew things were going to get rad. So I arrive at the college in Chicago. After 15 minutes of walking around it, I said to myself "Fuck this. Hotel time."

The Hotel

I texted Matt again at 2 PM when I arrived at the hotel. :silly: As I walked up to the check-in desk, I glanced over at the hotel bar. What did I see? Deryck's spikey hair. Things were about to get real! As I checked in I heard a voice behind me say, "Nic?" I turned around. It was Matt rolling merch boxes on a cart. We shook hands, said hello to each other, and he told me I should come back down to the bar after I got all my shit settled in my hotel room. I said definitely. I mean, who wouldn't pass that up? :glad:

After I got my bag situated in my room, I headed down! I walked into the hotel bar. Brown Tom, Deryck, Matt, and Cone were just relaxing to some drinks. I asked everyone what was up and Matt re-introduced me to the guys. I took a seat in between Deryck and Cone. We casually talked forever about random things from March Madness to driving in LA. It was cool. There I was...hanging out with my favorite band in a hotel bar. Things got kind of awkward at one point (for me at least) when an old Avril Lavigne song started playing on the radio. No one really said anything the first 45 seconds of the song. At one point, when me and Cone were having our own conversation, he brought up that he didn't really like the new design for Sum41.com. He thought I should of done it. Then Matt showed me the design on his laptop. In my opinion, it wasn't that bad. I thought it was pretty cool. My guess is that you all will see it on the 29th? Back on topic. Soundcheck at the venue was scheduled for 4 PM. As that time got closer, Matt started working out cabs (this was the last show before everyone went home for 5 days so they didn't have their bus). Matt planned on heading over to the venue early to check on things, etc. He told me I could just tag along with him.

The Cab
The cab arrived and Me and Matt carried the merch boxes to the back and placed them in the trunk (it was a van). We got in the cab and headed towards the venue. This was pretty cool. It was just me and Matt. We talked about fans and members of TNS. It was fun. During the conversation, he mentioned Lex, Heather, Tomi, Amin, and Jeremy. Pretty cool, eh?

The Venue
This place was weird. Not your usual venue. This place was a nightclub/sports bar/musical venue. ….All in a strip mall.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PQxtQaf07Oo/T ... STREET.jpg[/imgwidth]

The cab pulls around to the back of the venue. Me and Matt get out and carry the boxes in.

Uhh… So everything above was written on March 25, 2011. Quite a while ago. I slacked hard and never finished this story. Because of this, I don't really remember exact details much like I wrote previously. I'll do my best..

So we get into the venue, set the boxes down and check out the space where the band was to be playing that night. It was cool. Pretty small. Although it did have a "sports bar" feel to it. The next thing I remember was soundcheck. There were basically two. The first was crew members jamming out. It was really cool. I have a video somewhere. Next, the band sound checked. It was very short. Deryck, of course, walked around the area to hear how the band sounded from different parts of the room. After this we all shuttled back to the hotel. The band wanted to rest before the show. This shuttle was really cool for me because it was literally me, Matt, Deryck, Cone, and Steve in the bus. That was it. We get back to the hotel, rest up and get ready to head back to the venue. Once again, we take the shuttle bus. It started getting real fun after this. When we got back to the venue, we went backstage and the festivities began. ;) It was awesome. We hung out there for a while and then it was time for showtime. I chilled on the side of the stage for the entire show. Setlist:

1. Intro

2. No Reason 

3. Skumfuk 

4. We're All To Blame 

5. Walking Disaster 

6. Over My Head (Better Off Dead) 

7. Rebel Yell 
(Billy Idol cover)
8. Screaming Bloody Murder 

9. Motivation 

10. The Hell Song 

11. Metal Mayhem 

12. Underclass Hero 

13. In Too Deep 

14. Still Waiting 

15. Fat Lip 

16. Pain For Pleasure

After the show, we all shuttled back to the hotel (this time with female accompaniment!) Party time. We hung out at the hotel bar for quite a while. There was a wedding reception going on at the time so it was packed. Everyone was looking at me funny. I could just tell everyone was asking themselves, "Why the…how in the hell…what?!) Everything after this is pretty blurry, if you know what I mean. I remember hanging out in Tom's room for quite a while. We listened to music on his computers and talked about it. He showed a shitload of unheard material (Sum 41 demos/unreleased SBM tracks, new GOB, and bands he had produced). I wish I could remember everything he showed me. One Sum 41 song was the track with Cone on vocals. Another one I remember was a song we heard in the updates but didn't make the album. The last thing I remember from that night was partying in Deryck's room with Matt, Cone, D, and two girls. After that everyone pretty much passed out. Woo!

A few pics:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6081_n.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6478 ... e713_z.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6478 ... 31dc_z.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6478 ... d335_z.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6478 ... 7b5e_z.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6478 ... a019_z.jpg[/imgwidth]

Click to view the fullsize image.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6478 ... 707d_z.jpg[/imgwidth]

Annnnnd my favorite:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6478 ... 2f44_z.jpg[/imgwidth]

The rest of my photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71701921@N ... 338019269/
Videos: Coming soon.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Re: My day with Sum 41 PART TWO BITCHZ!

Post by HugoDisasters »

1st post on this epic shit.
Fukin' congratulations you skumfuk! This is my dream in cubic maths.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

how come "texting heather the whole day" didn't end up in this story :silly:

glad you finally wrote it out, I know you had a BLAST!
wiggs1441
Underclass Hero
First name: Sagiv
n00b: BrandonCorey, Kyle

Post by wiggs1441 »

... Words can't describe how jealous I am dude! Glad you enjoyed it man!
tomhoppus is my Master!
NoReason27 is my Grand-master!
BrandonCorey is my N00B!
Sum-42 is my Grand N00B!

Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

fenderrocks wrote:how come "texting heather the whole day" didn't end up in this story :silly:

Haha you're right...I totally forgot about that. Shit. :hehe:
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Nic wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:how come "texting heather the whole day" didn't end up in this story :silly:

Haha you're right...I totally forgot about that. Shit. :hehe:
haha, I remember in one you were like I'm texting you this so I don't forget cause I'm so wasted...lol
Robbie
First name: Robin

Post by Robbie »

wiggs1441 wrote:... Words can't describe how jealous I am dude! Glad you enjoyed it man!
What will we scream?
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I envy you! Congrats!!Man that must have been fucking awesome!
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

Coolest shit ever bruh
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Awesome!!! interesting to know that exist some demos of SBM!!! Unfortunately we never hear the demos xD
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

So kewl Nic, you've lived the dreams of so many. Mine included!
RileSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Riley
Instrument 2: Guitar Hero Guitar

Post by RileSum »

Have my baby's...
I want to fly, Can you take me far away, Give me a star to reach for, Tell me what it takes, And I’ll go so high, I’ll go so high, My feet won’t touch the ground, its my wings, That pull the strings, I bought these dreams, That all fall down
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Fuck this shit man! :glad:

Really loved reading this, worth the wait. :silly:
I'm glad that this happened to you, but I can't help being so jealous. :silly:

So do you actually remember anything from the unreleased music you heard? :glad:
And post the video of the Sombrero 41 performance! :winkwink:
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

hollllllyyy SKUMFUK!!! dude! i would kill a baby for a privilege like that!