Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

How did you find Sum 41?

Post by TomiT14 »

Got the idea from the "Favorite thing" thread.
How did you find about Sum 41? Randomly heard? Friend suggested? Share you stories.
Also, what made you fall in love with the Sums? How did they differ from other music you've heard?

My (longish) story:

Back in the day, I was (and still am) a huge NHL hockey fan. Aside from playing hockey myself, I enjoyed playing NHL video games. In September 2001, I picked up NHL 2002 from the shelves the day it was released. I put the game on, and fell in love with the opening track of the menu music (which I later found out to be I Hear You Calling by Gob). But that feeling was nothing compared to the track that started playing when I entered the game mode. It was the best song I had ever heard! I even played it to my family, showing the best piece of music I had found. Needless to say they weren't on the same page with me.

I was 12 years old back then, and before having NHL 2002, I hadn't really listened to any music. I only heard songs hear and there, and I liked the songs my friends were liking aswell. But after hearing this great song in the game, I wanted to find out what it was. The game only had the menu tunes listed (that's how I found Gob and Treble Charger) but not the tracks played in the game mode. Bummer! One day though, my family was driving the car, and The track started playing on the radio! Actually, it was a commercial, advertising the new album by the band. I was so excited to hear the song so I didn't pay attention to the band name lol.

Next Christmas I got a gift that probably got me where I am now. My 10-year-old brother gave me a CD called All Killer No Filler by Sum 41 as a present. I had no idea what it was, so my brother put it on and selected the track #4 right away. And that's how I found Sum 41. Without my brother paying attention to my orgasms every time I heard Fat Lip, I probably wouldn't be where I am today Sum-wise.

That's probably how I started to like them, but not how I fell in love with them. Sum 41 was still pretty much the only band I listened to regularly, but I wasn't as big of a fan yet as I was going to be. I hadn't had AKNF on repeat for a while, I think I hadn't listened to a song by them for few months. Sometime in October 2002 we were driving in a car with my Dad. An aggressively fast song started playing on the radio, and my Dad was about to change the channel, saying something like "God, they play awful music nowadays". After he changed the channel, I changed it right back, since I thought I heard a familiar voice. Could it be? The song was nothing like AKNF, but stll the singer sounded very much the same. When I got home I went to Internet (which I had just learned using) and checked Sum41.com for the first time. I think that was the moment when I fell in love with them: When the skull-headed browny site appeared on my screen and the still-my-all-time-favorite song (The Hell Song) started playing. I checked the playlist to find the song I heard from the radio (Still Waiting) to confirm my suspections. And since then I checked thier site regularly for news and new songs.

That's how I became a fan. My super-fan era started only in 2006 though, after having to make a presentation in music class in school about my favorite band. That was actually the first time I checked the band. I mean, I knew all the songs and most of the lyrics, but I never knew anything else about them, not even the names of the members! But when I had to make the presentation, I started checking their biography, and I caught myself checking every story and interview I could find about them. That's when I joined Sum-Time/Spring41 forums, and only one year later a 15-year-old boy later to be known as Nic basically destroyed the forum by creating a far more awesome fansite.

Ha, I might have written a lot more than I intended to, but yeah, you get the idea. Share your stories how you found the awesome Sum 41. :happy:
malo96
First name: emil

Re: How did you find Sum 41?

Post by malo96 »

american pie....
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Well I made a mix tape back in 2001 which I put Fat Lip and In Too Deep onto. The latter was definitely my favourite song of all time even though the tape skipped on the final chorus. Years later I looked up the song, found out it was by Sum 41, fell in love with the band and instantly ordered all 5 of their albums off Amazon. So I guess I've only been a proper fan since 2006ish.
fuck this signature nonsense
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I discovered Sum 41 about 4 years ago. I was listening to Simple Plan "Grow Up" and in the song he mentions sum 41, along with blink 182 and others. I was like "Who the hell is sum 41?" lol. So I looked them up on amazon.com and at first I thought they sucked, but the next day and looked them up again and bought in too deep cause I really like the solo on it, then each day I ended up buying another and another then I just bought their albums 1 by 1.
Adary

Post by Adary »

Mine is an American Pie story too...
When I was 16 I was watching American Pie 2 with my boyfriend and we loved the whole music on the film. We had seen American Pie thousands of times and we knew Blink-182 and Green Day but these was the first time we did a research on the net. A long afternoon in front of the pc and we loved Sum 41 automatically. Since then, we have bought all the CDs and have seen them live three times (Bologna, Barcelona and Madrid). And one more time will be on Bristol 10th February!!
That's my still-not-ended story with Sum 41.
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

Sadly, it's nothing interesting. Saw Fantastic Four, heard Noots, listened to Chuck, next to HHOP, AKNF, DTLI.
stevo32
Billy Spleen
First name: Alessio

Post by stevo32 »

Stiil Waiting music video on an Italian music channel , i was 14.
I'm my worst enemy
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Here's my story:

I was 15, and I had downloaded the movie "fantastic 4". I think I'll always remember that day... It was a saturday, in the morning, and I was finally watching the movie on my TV with my divx player. So the movie was great, but then, the scene when the guy "Johnny" (if I remember correctly) arrived. It was noots, but I didn't know it by then. I watched the whole movie and I just got myself thinking "damn, that song seems great !".

So I ate, and I went on my computer, and I looked on the internet to see if there was an OST of that movie, and I can't remember how, but I found the tracklist. So I basically listened to all the previews of the album but I couldn't recognize noots (it was the verse in the preview, but in the movie that's the chorus which was played). So I downloaded a lot of songs of the OST (the full songs), and I finally dicovered "Noots" which was a track made by a band called Sum 41.

I loved it so I downloaded the whole album Chuck, and I fell in love with it... It was the first time in my life I listened to an album and I loved every single song on it. I bought it not so long after that, and I downloaded then bought all of their other albums, and like Chuck, I loved them all...

I started playing guitar like 1-2 months after that. They really changed my life, that's crazy !

So basically, I guess it was the right time for me to start listening to them, I really think it was the perfect timing :D
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by HugoDisasters »

I think i got to know them earliest in my life, i actually remember watching them on MTV when i was 6 years old which is like back in 2002. I wasn't aware of music by then but when i got 12 years old i found them again after 6 years of not really remembering what i saw and ever since i was 12 i've been following them as much as i can!
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
pescidavid
First name: David
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by pescidavid »

My first sum 41 experience that i can remember is hearing "What we're all about" on the spiderman soundtrack in 6th grade. years down the line in tenth grade me and my friends made a video for English class and i made everyone in the group their own dvd copy of the movie. I asked each member what song they'd like to have during the menu screen and my soon to be best friend asked for "still waiting" by sum 41. I heard it and it blew my mind :holyshit:. I loved it. from there i got all their albums and patiently awaited the release of their just announced new cd "Underclass Hero." Got it the day it came out and loved it. Over time it actually ended up being my least favorite of theirs but since then I've grown to appreciate it again since the majority of the tracks on it are actually really good, just a few shitty ones. And thats about it. I'm pretty sure my enthusiasm for Sum 41 got the rest of my friends hooked on them during 10th grade too haha. Our graduation class song was ridiculously close to being fat lip...unfortunately our school also had a lot of hicks so it ended up being some song called "chicken fry" :suicide: ...I'm still proud that it was really close though
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

I remember being a little kid and loving Fat Lip, and then totally forgetting about it for years. Up to that point i basically listened to whatever came on the radio and never truly liked any artists, then in 2008 i was listening to a popular radio station and 'With Me' came on. I hated the song because it was so overplayed but something really struck me about the band. I checked them out and came across Fat Lip, The Hell Song and a bunch of other popular songs i had heard as a kid but never really appreciated and immediately was hooked. I'd say i listened to their well known songs for about a month but then it was all of the other, lesser known, songs that made me such a huge fan. i just simply like all of their songs! I feel like the reason I love them so much is because I feel like if i could truly express myself through music it would come out sounding like the songs they make.
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Post by Jables »

When I was in year 2 (so I was about 6ish) I heard Fat Lip playing on the radio somewhere and loved it, I feel so cool now cos everyone else at that time was listening to stupid shit like 'S Club7' :hehe: Then about 4/5 years ago I saw them on TV on Kerrang and it had loads of their songs on cos it was 'Green Day vs Sum 41' and I of course then got all their albums and became a superduperfanboyofawesomeness :2cool4u:
When I saw them on TV, it was 'Pieces' that really made me love them :glad:
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

Basically when I was about 8/9, we got Sky and it had music channels so I was able to check out Blink 182. The favourite band of the kids on my estate, then I distinctly remember seeing a Sum 41 video after Blink's and I was like these guys are awesome, been into them ever since. Got AKNF, and as they say the rest is history. I tried so much to look like Cone and Deryck when I was young.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Fantastic Four, Noots, I liked the song, my friend happened to be a big fan of Blink 182 and he also liked Sum 41, he told me what it is, I started listening to them, Sum 41 were the first band ever that I listened to that wouldn't be considered shitty ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

i heard fatlip on one of those now thats what i call music cds when i was like 8, then later around 12 when i really started getting into music found the hell song on my friends myspace page, and then looked up some of their other stuff and have been a big fan ever since. :silly:
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

When i was 6 my brother loved Sum 41 and i listened a lot sitting around outside and then i got hooked
KingofBillySpleen
First name: Jared
Instrument 2: Vocals
Last.fm Username: None

Post by KingofBillySpleen »

I heard Still Waiting on a youtube vid. Most people I know who actually listen to Sum 41 only know In Too Deep cause it was on Malcolm In The Middle(i think)
rkm424

Post by rkm424 »

I just registered just so I could tell you guys how!

I was watching Cheaper By The Dozen about 5-6 years ago when I was 11, I believe, and I heard "In Too Deep".
I had never listened to music properly before or had any favourite artists but after hearing Sum 41, I suddenly had this interest in music.
I found out that one of my friends (who later became my best friend) knew the song ("In Too Deep") too and he introduced me to many others like "Fat Lip" and "Handle This".
Thanks to him and Cheaper By The Dozen, I'm now a big Sum 41 fan and today, I even saw someone who looked a lot like Deryck too. :glad:

I think, this is what I usually do when I hear a new artist, I took the time to listen to a full album and their most recent one too which, at the time, was Underclass Hero. I enjoyed the majority of the album and had a listen to the other albums too.
Last edited by rkm424 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

6th grade. A friend sent me 88 over msn. Then he sent We're all To Blame and Still Waiting. A couple of days later he sent In Too Deep, Crazy Amanda Bunkface and Fat Lip i couldn't believe it was the same band.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

First heard Fat Lip on one of those "Now Thats What I Call Music" cds my aunt got me Christmas 01. But sadly, didn't really get into them until 06. I liked them in 02-03 but was more into Avril. And I dunno what the hell happened to my music taste in 04-05. Thankfully it got better :)