Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Re: How did you find Sum 41?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

I was a small(er) boy....Listening to music on my parents MP3 player. "Its what were all about" streamed, (from spidey soundtrack) So i was on the way to change the tune on the devieve, but stopped dead when it got up to the chorus. It was incredibly catchy and made lil' adam have eargasms! But of course...It was just a song. The only Sum 41 song on the MP3 player. I knew it was Sum 41- but i didnt care to look more into them...untill...
A few years later. (its 2007)
Im on my fathers new MP3 player. He got a billion songs on it. I was listening to RATM in my kitchen, song ends and "King of Contradiction" came on. I was instantly in love with the song. Listened to it over and over again. One day im listening to KOC, after it ends- I didnt notice the song changed (I was playing DS- not really paying attention) but once "The Jester" broke out full throttle- i was mezmerized! It was the best song EVAR!! I listened to that song nonstop for that weekend. Later I discovered "Count Your Last Blessings", It was great too...but nothing compared to The Jester. So, later i know most of Underclass Hero. I never really bothered to listen to the slower songs...Underclass Hero was the only Sums album on my dads MP3 player. And I learned EVERY song on bass...
My friend comes along, we were doing HW listening to music. I decide to play The Jester.. he loves it. We played fooseball wearing halloween masks to that song. Oh...good times. Anyways, he never really jumped in. Now my other friend- we exchanged songs to listen to.. I decided to give him "The Jester", he gives me Eye Of A tiger...I thought it was bad. But Sum 41 grew on him like craaazzzy!!! and this is how i brought Sum 41 to the school.

Now. Its 2009.
This was the awesome year. I went on dizzler cause i just got internet. First song i listen to is "We're All To Blame" i think its the beastly! then, that night my school has a talent show. I didnt play it cause i had no band. So I watched. A band of seniors comes on (Im in 6th grade), they say "This song's called Still Waiting by Sum 41!!" I recognize the name! but not the song. Then they play this song called "Fat Lip". No one in my town knew any of these songs...but, I saw with their energy, their jumps....that this must me some epic songs....
On dizzler again, i find Still Waiting and Fat Lip. See the music videos. And now its all history! I showed my friend, We rapped fat lip on the playground. Did the Makes No Difference dance in the music vid of Fat Lip. All the girls liked us...we were popular, and EVERYONE was into Sum 41 in school.

That summer- everyone changes, but my friend and I dont. Right before the summer, I told my dad to download the album "All The Good Shit" cause it had all the songs i was into. He downloads it for me...and this other album. This album called "Does This Look Infected?" Then we go on a trip to Alaska. On hour long tours on buses, next to my brother, and a Mp3 player with 2 sum 41 albums on it. This is how i got my bro into sum 41. We went on marathons. He fell in love with "No Brains".

After the trip, Im hooked. I listen to Chuck. I just research this band like crazy discover everything...me and my friend were the weird ones in school now. Everyone moved pass the Sum's phase. But that didnt stop us...especially when we found out news about a New album being written. And...im already a diehard fan by this time.

Hope you liked this novel. My apologiessss..
CherryMonik
First name: Monica

Post by CherryMonik »

Teen magazine about Avril Lavigne years ago that featured a Sum 41 interview I believe. lol
MachineGun
First name: Sascha
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by MachineGun »

in the fall of 2006 (i was 13 years old) i watched "american pie 3/american wedding" for the first time and heard the hell song. i was totally stocked about this song and wanted to get more stuff of sum 41. a friend showed me fat lip and in too deep, then i realized that i had to buy their cds.
on christmas 2006 i got all killer no filler and does this look infected, listened to them all the time and was very excited about underclass hero, which was about to get released in 2007. i just bought it on its release day.
in fall 2007 i ordered chuck and half hour of power...from this time on sum 41 has been my favorite band and chuck my favorite album of all-time.
in january 2009 i joined the german fan community and in summer 2010 tns (to download skumfuk :glad: )

end of the story :glad:

September 6, 2010 - Fürth
February 9, 2011 - Saarbrücken
August 7, 2012 - Würzburg
February 26, 2016 - Cologne
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

There's definitely a topic about this already, which we all have posted very long essays about how we discovered Sum 41, therefore I will not re-type my story...go find it.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

sumfan4 wrote:go find it.
lol party pooper. There are threads created weekly for topics we've discussed many times before. So you'd prefer the silence during this small hiatus?
Besides, I don't recall a topic like this made before.

Sorry for trying to keep the forum active. :sosad:

EDIT: Actually, I searched all the Sum 41 -related topics you've posted in, and couldn't find anything related to this. So, would you point me out to the right direction?
Last edited by TomiT14 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krivco
First name: Peter

Post by krivco »

a CD with funny videos, music videos and this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW9rYnIZIyo from my friend..when I saw that video I know that I will love them=)
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I listened to Fat Lip on a Now That's What I Call Music CD.
[donate][/donate]
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

Basically my sister had downloaded Fat Lip one day of Napster or whichever one had just came around, she had it on repeat and after awhile i was like "What is that?"

When I saw the video for "In too deep" about a week later is when i decided i should give the album a try

Then i heard Rhythms and they officially became my favorite band ever lol

I started dressing like em, doing stupid shit like them, saving all their pictures and eventually playing the guitar as well

What made me love them though was their I dont give a fuck attitudes. They just looked mad cool, like they were having so much fun, singing, rappin, trashing shit, wearing baggy clothes, playing feel good music and then they were all so young. How could i not look up to them :glad:

Also let me point out that they were always serious musicians, i never saw a real comparison between them and jokey joke blink 182... Whole different level of respect for me
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i liked What We're All About from the Spiderman soundtrack, but i didn't really get into Sum 41 until i heard No Reason while i was researching them for a school project back in grade 7. i pretty much bought Chuck within the month.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Vash15
First name: Daniel
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by Vash15 »

I was 11, and I watched some AMV (back when those were cool) with the Hell Song, and I was like "wow, this is pretty good" I was just growing into rock, so I went and got Chuck and thought they were pretty awesome. Chuck is honestly still one of my all time favorite albums, and the Sums are one of my favorite bands.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I had a few songs from them before AKNF, but when I saw the In Too Deep music video, that's what really got me into them, so I wasn't too far from knowing them from the beginning! :razz:
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

I love reading these stories!

I was twelve in the Summer of 2001, and was just getting in to music for the previous couple of years. I had Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, and Nimrod by Green Day (triple bleugh, by the way!) jammed in my disc man (old school) constantly.

We had Sky and I started watching the music channels when I wasn't out with my friends trying to be Tony Hawk or Chad Muska etc (best Summer ever, by the way)

ANYWAY, Sum 41 were one of the biggest new bands in the world that year. There was no way they could be avoided. From the minute Fat Lip and Makes No Difference, and later In Too Deep were on Kerrang! and P Rock (also old school), which was about May - June 2001 I believe, they were my favourite band. And they still are!

Going to see them twice in February - it's gonna be my first time!! :)
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I didn't like Sum 41 when I first knew of them.

I first saw their music video for Fat Lip on Much Music and at the time I was 10 years old. Some of my friends really liked rap music and I thought it was boring. I was "listening" (I actually didn't care at all for music at this point in my life) to bands like N'Sync and Backstreet Boys (could've been why I was never into music at that age). Needless to say that when I heard the rap verses of Fat Lip I immediately lost interest. Not to mention one part in the video (during the bridge) there's that punk couple making out and I was like...

"... WTF? Was that guy just making out with a little kid?!"
http://youtu.be/NKsQe31ApMs?t=2m8s

And it happened so suddenly I mistook the guy kissing the girl for a member of the band (Deryck). So I was like: fuuuck that. Their name also turned me off them as it was so similar to Blink 182.

As the years went on the band got more famous and put out more songs on the radio. I remember I was in the car with my dad and either Still Waiting or In Too Deep came on the radio and I was like:

I would read about them sometimes in magazines and I read about their new album "being more metal" and the band being "anti-war". I remember being amazed that a band so young and bratty would be so politically conscious. Then I saw a music video for Over My Head on TV and thought, "Wow, that was kinda catchy... Forget what the song is now though."

Finally, I was 13 going on 14. At this point I had listened to Big Shiny Tunes 6 and warmed up to Fat Lip (I really enjoyed the verse riff in the song). My brother had bought Does This Look Infected? and he would listen to it all the time. I recognized Over My Head and Still Waiting immediately, but it wasn't until I heard Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condrioid that I wanted to burn the CD for myself to listen to.

Then for the next year and a half or so I listened to 4 tracks off that album almost constantly: Over My Head, Still Waiting, Mr. Amsterdam and Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condrioid. Those were the days when if I could find 4 songs I liked off an album, it was a good album, haha.
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

I saw this anime music video on youtube with the song 88 in it. It took me forever trying to find the songs name and the artist. But finally I got it, got a few more songs and really enjoyed them. Didnt really listen much to them for awhile till I found the video for Some Say. After that, I would hooked for life
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Tomis story is shockingly similiar to mine. I also heard Sums first in NHL 2002 - (Fat Lip and Makes no Difference.) And I also received AKNF from my brother.. This was 2002 or 2003 I guess.
However the first Sum41-cd I bought was Chuck and that made me a fan.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

X^2 wrote:Tomis story is shockingly similiar to mine. I also heard Sums first in NHL 2002 - (Fat Lip and Makes no Difference.) And I also received AKNF from my brother.. This was 2002 or 2003 I guess.
However the first Sum41-cd I bought was Chuck and that made me a fan.
Ha! I only found out that Makes No Difference was Sum 41's too when I first entered their website in late 2002, where they had the song on a playlist. :silly:
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

FuckT41182 wrote:Fantastic Four, Noots, I liked the song, my friend happened to be a big fan of Blink 182 and he also liked Sum 41, he told me what it is, I started listening to them, Sum 41 were the first band ever that I listened to that wouldn't be considered shitty ...
You said my story better than I did.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

gejmik wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:Fantastic Four, Noots, I liked the song, my friend happened to be a big fan of Blink 182 and he also liked Sum 41, he told me what it is, I started listening to them, Sum 41 were the first band ever that I listened to that wouldn't be considered shitty ...
;) what about the Rise Against gig, any news ? XD
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

FuckT41182 wrote:
gejmik wrote:
you bought the ticket, or are you waiting for me? :D seems like it won't be sold out, cause there is a lot of space, so there is still time to think about it, but I think I would definitely go :D
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

gejmik wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
gejmik wrote:
you bought the ticket, or are you waiting for me? :D seems like it won't be sold out, cause there is a lot of space, so there is still time to think about it, but I think I would definitely go :D
I haven't bought one yet, but I really wanna go too
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge