Favorite thing about The Sums

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

krivco
First name: Peter

Re: Favorite thing about The Sums

Post by krivco »

lisaNL wrote:Sum 41 was the first band I started listening to, before that I listened to shit music lol.
exactly...first it was Backstreet boys, lol, then Bon Jovi (not shit but not sums) and then sums finally
bizzyd676
First name: Tone

Post by bizzyd676 »

Yea plenty artist have a better voice than Deryck without a doubt but then they come accross to me as so blatant its corny (NFG) or way too indirect with their words... D insist he doesnt care, but somehow is able to craft his lyrics everytime so they are just vaguely personal enough to relate to everyone. Similar to how Billie Joe once did.

Dont get me started though on how corny blink 182 lyrics is :sosad: i feel a little embarassed when ever i listen to their songs aloud around people. Even bands like Offspring, Good Riddance, Sublime, Rancid, who had great sounds would sometimes have a bar or two thatd make me wince lol

Keep it going though, im loving the inputs
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

there is nothing special about Sum 41's or Blink 182's lyrics, Sum 41 definitely don't write better lyrics than Blink 182, it's somewhere on the same level, except Blink 182 were probably one of the funniest bands around, that's why people fell in love with them, at least one of the reasons, then came Sum 41, another group of guys who were like B182 and the label wanted people to see that ... then both of the bands started writing more serious music, and still it happens to be pretty the same level, although Blink 182 Untitled album is better than any of the Sum's albums, my opinion and also critical acclaim say so

but all in all, Sum 41 or Blink 182, they write average lyrics, but they can relate to the teens, but as of technicality, they're not any exceptional ... but relating to people is what matters the most, if you can bring feelings into their heart then they're not gonna question if the music is no exactly the best or if the lyrics are perfectly written, they'll just listen to it and feel it ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

It's the lyrics for me too, Deryck describes things that happened to me, that has and is happening to me. The emotion he puts into his songs is what I feel, and it helps me get through it which is a really hard thing to do. That is why Sum 41 is and will always be my favorite band!!!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Gregorovich wrote:I don't know why, but I really like Tim McIlrath's voice. It's really distinctive, very hoarse and is capable of portraying a massive variety of emotions. Have to say that the best vocalists I listen to frequently would be Tim, Billie Joe and Chester Bennington (seriously, listen to The Messenger).
Funny, I listened to Linkin Park's Meteora last night and I was like, "Damn, I forgot how much I like Chester's voice."

The thing I like about Sum 41 is that they never tried to repeat themselves. They got so popular after All Killer No Filler and repeating an album like that could've put them in league with Blink-182 and Green Day, but they decided to go the more metal route with the next two albums, which as we all know didn't do well commercially (yet most fans seem to enjoy Infected and Chuck a lot).

They did MTV Icon: Metallica, they covered Queen, went to the Congo to film a documentary, they collaborated at one end of the musical spectrum with Iggy Pop to the other with Ludacris... They were doing things that bands they were in league with weren't doing - and that's what I liked about them. Dave's solo's were nice too as they set the music apart from Blink and Green Day.

As far as lyrics go, they are hit and miss with me. Not every song Deryck penned struck a chord with me and to be honest the majority of those songs were the pop-punk ones (Half Hour, All Killer, Underclass Hero). The songs just sounded too "fun" for me to actually listen to what the lyrics were about.

I will say this though, that the only Sum 41 album that I 100% love is Screaming Bloody Murder. I'll go as far to say that it has the most balls and emotion than any other album (Chuck being the contender).
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Some of what Jeremy said is why I love them. They were doing things that their contemporaries weren't - and doing it really well. Also, Dave had these solos and this guitar style that set them apart from the other bands that were around at the time when he was in the band. I also love how each member of the band is so technically proficient. There's a level of respect for Sum 41 from most music fans that have heard more than Fat Lip etc, because it's abundantly clear that they can play circles around most other bands they get lumped with.

When DTLI and Chuck were on the scene I really felt a part of something. It was the strongest consistent output of albums by any band I knew at the time, and it just felt like things were going to explode at the time and people would wake up to how incredible they were. I don't really know how to articulate that, but I just felt deeply connected to the band at the time, and still do even though things and times have changed.

Also, RE the lyrics debate. I've read people saying that Sum 41's lyrics are 'average' a lot. My take is that, on Infected especially, I thought the lyrics were on another level. Not only could anybody relate to them, but the subject matter, delivery and how they were implemented into melodies were off the fuckin' chain.

Another good thread!
AnotherBassist
First name: Nick
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bass
Twitter: ricknigas

Post by AnotherBassist »

I've always loved Sum 41, and I have a lot of favorite things about them, but what I always notice is that, for a band rooted in pop punk, they have really excellent musicianship. Each one of them as individuals and as a band do just the right amount to make good music, without overdoing anything or seeming to flashy. I hope this was legible, I just woke up from a nap and am a little dazed.
I play bass in a punk band and like sushi. Check it out here: http://www.anotherreasonmusic.com/
or here: http://www.facebook.com/anotherreasonmusic
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Deryck has an incredible knack for melody and I wonder if it's because his favorite band is The Beatles, but All Killer is an amazing summer album. Underclass Hero also sports that feeling of summer and although I don't appreciate that album as much as other people do, every song is basically hook-ville. The first time I heard March of the Dogs (after many, many listens of Chuck) my first reaction was, "This song is so... happy!"
bizzyd676

Post by bizzyd676 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:Deryck has an incredible knack for melody and I wonder if it's because his favorite band is The Beatles, but All Killer is an amazing summer album. Underclass Hero also sports that feeling of summer and although I don't appreciate that album as much as other people do, every song is basically hook-ville. The first time I heard March of the Dogs (after many, many listens of Chuck) my first reaction was, "This song is so... happy!"
I feel you, on my initial listens to UH i was like wow, that was sort of soft, but overtime off that album came some of my favorite Sum songs to date, Pull The Curtain, Count Your Last Blessings, Speak of the devil, the jester...

Look at these lyrics, find some that even compare. Not even tryna be smart, but if you can find me someone "technically" better id love to hear them

Serious tone, i like

Last call for regrets and defeat
To finish the bottle full of empty dreams
Punch-drunk headed straight out of line
Another excuse with no alibi
Hitching on the road of decline
With no-name streets and no vital signs
I pissed away the best of me and
No one can help me

{I'm} misery's best friend dead beat on a dead end
A bag full of regrets and I'm coming clean
The self-elect resident reject
A bad habit don't forget that you better
Count your last blessings
I fell off the wagon
I'm chasing six feet
and now I'm running out of time

My hands are tied and nailed to the cross
I'm looking for all the composure I lost
I'm petulant with a bad attitude
A poster child vision of wasted youth
I dodged the book and found the key
I can't stay the same for dignity
I pissed away the best of me and
No one can help me

I fell off the wagon
I'm chasing six feet

Now I'm my own enemy
I don't hear you now
Perfect Tragedy
God bless us denial

I'm my own enemy
I don't hear you now
Perfect Tragedy
God bless us denial

I fell off the wagon
I'm chasing six feet
and now I'm running out of...

I fell off the wagon
I'm chasing six feet

EPIC

Now SBM had some

I don’t believe I think I’ve fallen asleep
Is this beginning or ending?
Am I stuck in a dream? I don’t want to know what I think I suppose
Out of the light into a timely demise there’s a cross on the hill the holy image of lies.
I’ve opened my eyes but this dream is still real
You don’t need to worry I’m just fine. I’ve just lost my mind
Yeah, tell me it’s over cause I don’t feel a thing at all
Conciseness no more senses all have disappeared
Am I alright alive tonight paranoid or am I dead right
Am I alright alive tonight crash and fall into this light with me

Look in my eyes tell me I’m alright. I don’t know if I’m still alive
If this is goodbye forever’s just a lie big enough to make you want to try

In just one life how can we live enough to rest in peace?
In just one life how can we live enough to rest in peace?

Here now I stand head in hand and one hand on my heart
As I depart it’s not so hard what a day to become a man
You had your scars but I never thought you would give me mine
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Although I've always enjoyed the pop-punk side of Sums aswell, the metal-side of them is what made me a fan. I find it to be million times more original (most of the time that is).
About Deryck's capabilities as a lyricist, I think Deryck is above average, at least in his own genre that is. However, he's no Bob Dylan, Elvis Costello, Joe Strummer or Greg Graffin.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

alright, now is it, I'm gonna listen to SBM for the first time since April, I'll throw away BYDWK and TFYTG and WAITS and see what I think about it, those three songs were always bugging me when I was listening to it back then...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

bizzyd676 wrote:Look at these lyrics, find some that even compare. Not even tryna be smart, but if you can find me someone "technically" better id love to hear them
There's many I could pick off of UH and SBM, but my fave will always be "I tried to be perfect it just wasn't worth it I don't believe it makes me real" that line really got me hooked on the band.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

fenderrocks wrote:
bizzyd676 wrote:Look at these lyrics, find some that even compare. Not even tryna be smart, but if you can find me someone "technically" better id love to hear them
There's many I could pick off of UH and SBM, but my fave will always be "I tried to be perfect it just wasn't worth it I don't believe it makes me real" that line really got me hooked on the band.
” Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. “ Vince Lombardi

:2cool4u:
bizzyd676

Post by bizzyd676 »

fenderrocks wrote:
I mean outside of Sum 41, in current music
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

bizzyd676 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
how much do you want, ten or twenty thousand songs ? :D
it's just the first ones I thought of ...
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

well i think the sums should get their owen music-genre . :devious:

well what i really love about them , is that they try to reach their musical limits and it looks like there is none ..
it looks like they can do everything they want - if they really want to ;D - they can play metal , they can play punk , blues , rock and roll , pop , basically whatever the fuck they're in the mood then .. and also that they basically love what they're doing and not to try to get the most money out of it and just play music to play music not like these blink or green day sell outs ...

oh yeah btw . : i think ronnie radke and bruce dickinson are the best vocalists right now ;)
bizzyd676

Post by bizzyd676 »

FuckT41182 wrote:
bizzyd676 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
My point, they took 7-9 minutes to say what Deryck can in 2:44... Dont get me wrong, i respect the greats and sonically they incomparable, but those are voices of a completely different generation. Sum 41 music is alot more relate-able to me in the now than those folky rooted tunes. Theres a severe disconnect between what was meant and what was actually said amongst older artist. I think drugs had alot to do with that.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

bizzyd676 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
bizzyd676 wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:
My point, they took 7-9 minutes to say what Deryck can in 2:44
^ This :2cool4u:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

man you guys are just... wow... i can't even put it into words... ignorant? somehow that doesn't describe it but its close enough.

Deryck is not the greatest writer of all time. just listen to American Pie instead of looking at the length of it. it is that length for a reason, the lyrics tell a story. and i dare you to decipher what the lines "and when the king was looking down, the jester stole his thorny crown. the courtroom was adjourned; no verdict was returned" or "while Lennon read a book on Marx" has to do with the song.

Deryck is a good pop lyricist, but not the best which is was these previous most make it seem like you think.
Last edited by Dylan on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

that may be the problem, the songs I posted are not so easy to understand, and they also require knowledge of some events, and of the English language ...

I'm sorry to say this to you guys, but Deryck will probably never be able to say the things the artists I posted in 2 hours, Deryck's lyrics are easy and you don't need to think about them, not even for a second, which you may like, and that's okay, but a little rationality would be cool, you know, 13 year old girls also say that Justin is the best lyricist and singer