Favorite thing about The Sums

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

bizzyd676
First name: Tone
Favorite thing about The Sums

Post by bizzyd676 »

So ive been listening to Sum 41 for over a decade now, and i never really stopped and thought what it was that made me put this group so high up on a pedestal in comparison to everything else i listened too. Then i realized recently, the reason that in their whole entire catalogue there is not one unlistenable song...

Its 100% in their lyrics. While they can sometimes get repetitive in riffs, progressions and song structures, Deryck's lyrics are always just so on point. Never a cheesy or corny moment, never a bar yelled or sung that i couldnt greet with empathy. My roots lie in hip hop motown and punk of all ages where lyrics and flow are everything, and id argue to say that Sum 41 got one of the best combo's of those to things ever in music within their frontman. Whibley's pen game and style is vastly underrated

What are some of the things that make yall love this group enough to still be down after all this time (or this short time for others)
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Re: Favorite thing about The Sums

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Cone <3 he's a hotty.

This is the only reason i listen to sums....
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Don't really have a favourite thing. All I can really say is I listen to a lot of music and most of it isn't 'pop-punk' but Sum 41 is one of those few exceptions that I actually enjoy a lot.
[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

I liked only Dave, now it's all bullshit, Dave was the most talented, sexiest, funniest guy of the world, that's cause he wasn't white, I hate white people
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I liked Dave as well, but my favorite thing is their music, especially their guitars. They always sound so full and crisp and
are different than most bands in this genre. I also like Deryck's voice, it's quit different I think, and that's a good thing.
krivco
First name: Peter

Post by krivco »

I can tell that they are only one band which really influenced me as I was teenager. I started to drink jack daniels because of deryck is drinking it, lol
I love whole band and last year I finnaly saw them live. Most amazing show ever. Love the voice love the sound love band's attitude to fans, sometimes really underground. I love their phlegm
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

SickofEveryone wrote:I liked Dave as well, but my favorite thing is their music, especially their guitars. They always sound so full and crisp and
are different than most bands in this genre. I also like Deryck's voice, it's quit different I think, and that's a good thing.
the reason why they sound a little different is that they like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, simply metal music, so you can hear it in some of their albums, sometimes even extremely similar to songs by those metal bands

about the voice, I like his voice, it's kind of cool, but definitely not one of the most original voices, from the nowadays singers, Serij Tankian has probably the most original voice, and also Daron Malakian from SOAD has a really interesting voice, but he doesn't sing much ... also Tom Delonge sure has more original voice than Deryck, although it sounds pretty bad live ...

but who gives a fuck about originality anyway, what matters the most is what music you write, music has to be original, not the voice, everyone has an original voice, and everyone can sing in the studio, even Thomas Mathew Delonge ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Sum 41 was the first band I started listening to, before that I listened to shit music lol.
SickofEveryone
Chuck

Post by SickofEveryone »

lisaNL wrote:Sum 41 was the first band I started listening to, before that I listened to shit music lol.
This.
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

Steve!
Last edited by Stef on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.
SickofEveryone
Chuck

Post by SickofEveryone »

FuckT41182 wrote:
SickofEveryone wrote:I liked Dave as well, but my favorite thing is their music, especially their guitars. They always sound so full and crisp and
the reason why they sound a little different is that they like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, simply metal music, so you can hear it in some of their albums, sometimes even extremely similar to songs by those metal bands

about the voice, I like his voice, it's kind of cool, but definitely not one of the most original voices, from the nowadays singers, Serij Tankian has probably the most original voice, and also Daron Malakian from SOAD has a really interesting voice, but he doesn't sing much ... also Tom Delonge sure has more original voice than Deryck, although it sounds pretty bad live ...

but who gives a fuck about originality anyway, what matters the most is what music you write, music has to be original, not the voice, everyone has an original voice, and everyone can sing in the studio, even Thomas Mathew Delonge ...
I find that Tom can't do too much with his voice, it seems to stay at the same level many times, but his voice is still really good I think. To me Deryck's voice is able to show emotion in his songs that many singers can't do today, I think. SBM I think is his best work for his voice, it sounds perfect on it.
stevo32
Billy Spleen
First name: Alessio

Post by stevo32 »

Well my favourite thing about The Sums is that they change in every album, so everytime it's like starting from 0 again.
I'm my worst enemy
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

SickofEveryone wrote:
lisaNL wrote:Sum 41 was the first band I started listening to, before that I listened to shit music lol.
This.
Yup, totally.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

There are so many things I love about The Sums - from their music to their personalities, everything. I know music can always make you feel better when you're down but listening to The Sums, and a song; For example, Pieces, can just shift my mood somehow. They progress with each album and I think that's an important thing aswell.

I like how they're so carefree. They do take music seriously but still like to have fun. Also by carefree, I mean, Deryck in particular, not really caring what most musicians should. For example, charts, press, ect. They'll keep playing as long as they're able to. As long as they have their fans. The band paying for a few of the songs to be on Screaming Bloody Murder showed not only just how much they believe in their music but they also wanted to give their fans the best album they could.

I like how close they are as a band. Through out the last 15 years you can see this through their dvds, studio updates, ect. They can always put a smile on my face or make me laugh as I watch either of those. If anyone didn't understand their music, well, I'd tell them to watch those and then get back to me.

I'm sure I'll have more to add to this but I think you get the idea.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

SickofEveryone wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:

I find that Tom can't do too much with his voice, it seems to stay at the same level many times, but his voice is still really good I think. To me Deryck's voice is able to show emotion in his songs that many singers can't do today, I think. SBM I think is his best work for his voice, it sounds perfect on it.
if a singer can't show emotion through his singing, then he sucks, all the bands I listen to know how to do it though ... and Tom Delonge does as well, he's not a better singer than Deryck though, just as Deryck is not a better singer than Billy Joe Armstrong, I mean, technically ... The best technical singer of these times would be Serj Tankian or Billy Joe, I guess, Serj is the best imo, he can sing anything, he can scream, he can sing low, simply anything ...
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

the best vocalist of all time might have to be Freddie Mercury.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

it's hard to talk of the best vocalist of all time, that's why I only talked about nowadays singers, it's much easier to choose, although I could name a few from some underground bands who can do much with their voice, but nobody here would know them, so fuck that ...

Freddie was great, yeah, but there were many great singers in the past, like David Bowie, Bob Dylan, John and Paul, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, also I really like Gerry Roslie from The Sonics, there were a lot of great bands in that area ... it's impossible to say the best singer of all time, Janis Joplin would have to be there as well, I forgot all about her

EDIT Robert Plant ... and much more, it's just too hard XD
Last edited by FuckT41182 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

HugoDisasters wrote:
SickofEveryone wrote:
This.
Yup, totally.
this again. and love D's lyrics, plus the guys are real laid back and care about their fans.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I don't know why, but I really like Tim McIlrath's voice. It's really distinctive, very hoarse and is capable of portraying a massive variety of emotions. Have to say that the best vocalists I listen to frequently would be Tim, Billie Joe and Chester Bennington (seriously, listen to The Messenger).
fuck this signature nonsense
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

stevo32 wrote:Well my favourite thing about The Sums is that they change in every album, so everytime it's like starting from 0 again.
that's just because Deryck's too drunk all the time, and he can't remember how he invented the style of Chuck, so he has to invent something else