Billy Spleen
First name: Riley
Instrument 2: Guitar Hero Guitar

Re: The Sums are Nominated NIGGA!

Post by RileSum »

FuckT41182 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
stevo32 wrote:I'm happy because they deserve it, and these are not the mtvshit awards these are the most important awards that a musician can recieve.
kidding,right ? Didn't Allejandro, Fernando and Roberto win like 8 of these shitty awards last year ?

about the nomination, it's pretty unexpected, but not that out of place, Foos or Megadeath will win it though
Grammy Awards are the Oscars of music, not shitty awards. Titanic won 11 oscars but i don't like it, so ?
so, where is your point ? How is Titanic as bad as Lady Gaga or Usher? It's not that I don't like her, it's that music like that is nothing but a bunch of shitty stuff, shitty singing, shitty lyrics(especially this), and rich men putting money into their arms, and in 1997 the amount of bad movies or music wasn't as high as it is now, so the thing that Titanic won the award for the best movie wasn't so surprising, nor unbearable(cause it's still a pretty decent movie), but it sure was affected by the fact that Titanic made so much money and people got so emotionally attached to it, and there were better movies than Titanic in 1997, like Good Will Hunting or L.A Confidential

but still I think that Oscars are much more legit than these music awards, probably because the movies that have won over the years may not have always deserved it the most, but at least they were good or great, but the music that wins the Grammy awards, it's often as shitty as the rapper in the Rebeca Black's song...
I have to agree, the past 2-3 years of the Grammys has been kinda just a bunch of mainstream party music nominations.
I want to fly, Can you take me far away, Give me a star to reach for, Tell me what it takes, And I’ll go so high, I’ll go so high, My feet won’t touch the ground, its my wings, That pull the strings, I bought these dreams, That all fall down
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

PTswim41 wrote:only sum 41 would have a song nominated for a Grammy that wasn't released as a single and doesn't have a music video..........
i originally thought that, too, but the other nominated songs in that category were pretty much commercial flops, too. the megadeth one only charted at 33 on the mainstream rock chart, mastadon's "hurl the burl" got to 17, and neither dreamtheater's nor the foo's songs charted at all. and i know "white limo" had a music video, but it was really more of a joke one than anything serious and i doubt it got much airplay if any on mtv, vh1, etc.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

only sum 41 would have a song nominated for a Grammy that wasn't released as a single and doesn't have a music video..........
RATM won their first grammy with Tire Me in the category of Best Metal Performance. (Not a single nor did it have a video)
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

The Sums at the Grammys? that's surprising! They definitely need to make a video for BIME now, even considering they said a few times they planned to release it as a single anyway (I think it was Tomi who asked them about a third single and Cone said BIME will probably be the third), so now more than ever, they need a video to it at least to promote it a little bit and to make a real video finally for the first time since 2008.

I guess the Foos will win anyway. I guess Megadeth would be unlucky again haha, consdiering it's their third year in a row they are nominated but probably not gonna win again.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Nice one. As much as I hate the Foo Fighters, I expect them to win even if that song was worse than usual. Awards don't mean shit because most people vote for the band they like in general instead of the songs themselves.
[donate][/donate]
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

Foo Fighters will prob win since they are more popular but at least they get their name up there.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

SickofEveryone wrote:Foo Fighters will prob win since they are more popular but at least they get their name up there.
I'm not gonna let that happen. The Sums deserve it. The voting isn't determined really by popularity though:
In both voting rounds, Academy members are required to vote based upon quality alone, and not to be influenced by sales, chart performance, personal friendships, regional preferences or company loyalty. The acceptance of gifts is prohibited. Members are urged to vote in a manner that preserves the integrity of the academy.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I never paid much attention to the Grammys, but is it just the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences that votes for the winners? If so, we don't have any power over who wins anyway, only hope that these people will see the quality of the song itself.

To be honest, maybe it's better if Blood In My Eyes didn't get a video or get released as a single. This way, the voters will see it as a song alone and won't have these predispositions brought on by a music video or how often it got played on the radio.

EDIT: Even if they don't win, they still get a medal!
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

At least Island actually recognized them getting nominated in their latest newsletter. Hopefully that pushes them to get a music video funded.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

finglemaster wrote:At least Island actually recognized them getting nominated in their latest newsletter. Hopefully that pushes them to get a music video funded.
Or just in general, giving them increased fundings for better promotion.
If Sum 41 would be at least as popular as Linkin Park whoa...

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I never paid much attention to the Grammys, but is it just the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences that votes for the winners? If so, we don't have any power over who wins anyway, only hope that these people will see the quality of the song itself.

To be honest, maybe it's better if Blood In My Eyes didn't get a video or get released as a single. This way, the voters will see it as a song alone and won't have these predispositions brought on by a music video or how often it got played on the radio.

EDIT: Even if they don't win, they still get a medal!
yeah, I don't think its poll voting, its judge by people in the industry or something

anyways, the ceremony is the 12th and they're suppose to be touring, but I guess if they don't tour they might make an appearance. D went in 07 with Av. I remember him doing interviews
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

finglemaster wrote:At least Island actually recognized them getting nominated in their latest newsletter. Hopefully that pushes them to get a music video funded.
Most likely it was Island that got them nominated in the first place.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Emil wrote:
Most likely it was Island that got them nominated in the first place.
I don't think so
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

If it wasn't Island, was it Sum 41 themselves? I doubt anyone can submit a recording that doesn't belong to them. However, Sum 41 don't seem like the band to actively submit themselves to the Grammys. It was probably the record company.
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Yeah, didn't one Island guy call this record "genre defining" last year? Because i doubt the band themselves would submit it.
Last edited by Emil on Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Emil wrote:Yeah, didn't one Island guy call this record "genre defining" last year? Because i doubt the band themselves would submit it.
A radio consultant called it groundbreaking.
But I doubt that IR would've submitted this.. With all the lack of promotion, they just don't give a fuck about Sum 41
Jeremy Kill
The Sums are Nominated NIGGA!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Emil wrote:Yeah, didn't one Island guy call this record "genre defining" last year? Because i doubt the band themselves would submit it.
But I doubt that IR would've submitted this.. With all the lack of promotion, they just don't give a fuck about Sum 41
They probably submit a bunch of stuff from their artists without even thinking. I don't think they purposely deny Sum 41 any promotion; it wouldn't be good business for them of they did that anyway. Remember that t-shirt/SBM promotion they had going, but it never saw the light of day? I'm thinking that was planned before the band decided to record those two songs (Time for You to Go/Baby You Don't Wanna Know).

It's not like Sum 41 plays by Island's rules either; they push deadlines and go too far with ideas that the record company opts out of things such as music videos (Screaming Bloody Murder).

Also, it's tough enough to sell to the public an album called "Screaming Bloody Murder" where the first single claims that "God will set you up to bleed."
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:
They probably submit a bunch of stuff from their artists without even thinking. I don't think they purposely deny Sum 41 any promotion; it wouldn't be good business for them of they did that anyway. Remember that t-shirt/SBM promotion they had going, but it never saw the light of day? I'm thinking that was planned before the band decided to record those two songs (Time for You to Go/Baby You Don't Wanna Know).

It's not like Sum 41 plays by Island's rules either; they push deadlines and go too far with ideas that the record company opts out of things such as music videos (Screaming Bloody Murder).

Also, it's tough enough to sell to the public an album called "Screaming Bloody Murder" where the first single claims that "God will set you up to bleed."
well, you have a point, except for the God thing, cause maybe in 1970 or 1980 people would burn their records just like they did with The Beatles, but now you have more God haters in this world than you have God believers
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Jeremy Kill wrote:

well maybe in america, where boobs scare the shit out of young pure souls, but here ... besides it's just a song
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
blackhawk1105 wrote:A radio consultant called it groundbreaking.

Well on this board it seems that the more you hate on Island the better fan you are. They still pay for everything they trash on tour and let them tour whenever and whereever they want. I doubt a smaller label would be able to afford to let them go to all these weird places in Eastern Europe and South Africa and all the band does is basically saying "Fuck our label" and what not.

And they did ALOT of promotion for UH with three music videos but it was still a commercial failure comapred to the previous records. So you can't blame them for being more careful this time.