King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Re: Does This Look Infected!?

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

Stef wrote:
sumfan4 wrote:I love DTLI, thats my favorite Sums album! I never realized the meaning of Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condrioid until I started doing drugs haha. The whole album is pretty solid, I think it's probably their best work.
Don't do drugs, drugs are bad
Drugs are ok in moderation every so often, but don't be a tit with em'

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Man reading this I have been really wanted to hear the album too xD
Jeremy Kill
Does This Look Infected!?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Andros wrote:Man reading this I have been really wanted to hear the album too xD
Same, I listened to it last night before I went to bed, haha.
MachineGun
First name: Sascha
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by MachineGun »

i also listened to dtli today ;) it's still one of their best works and another fact i like about it is:
start dtli - 12 tracks - not even one song that is slow or acoustic - 30 minutes later, that's it - i'm completely rocked. :happy:
for me the guitar sound is more raw than the sound in their other albums.

September 6, 2010 - Fürth
February 9, 2011 - Saarbrücken
August 7, 2012 - Würzburg
February 26, 2016 - Cologne
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

kILLDR3n wrote:
2712 wrote:
kILLDR3n wrote:
2712 wrote:in my opinion, way too tight and over produced. it sounds like the engineer got way too excited about beat detective and strip silencing in protools and went overboard. i like DTLI, but if it were just a bit more raw and rough around the edges it would just make it that much better.
Really? That album is anything but overproduced. It feels so raw compared to the rest of their albums.
just listen to white limo by foo fighters or anything from their Wasting light album. that is raw. in fact, they didn't even use pro tools or any digital gear at all.

now, listen to a song like mr amsterdam or billy spleen. everything is so tight and precise, the engineer had to have heavily edited everything to be perfectly in time. also, i remember seeing part of a special of them recording DTLI, and they used masking tape to mute the strings that Dave and Deryck weren't supposed to play- just to avoid any ringing out notes.
A lot of bands will tape their strings like that. Watched an As I Lay Dying making of yesterday and they do the same thing.
Who the fuck are As I Lie Dying ? XD no, but srsly, just because a lot of bands do it doesn't mean that Sums had to do it on DTLI ...

and about the remembering thing, I still remember how every song from Chuck or DTLI sounds, even though I haven't heard a single song from them in a year or so XD
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

I have to be in the mood for DTLI?. To me SBM is their best work simply for its variety, artistry, transitions and since of innocent aggression. But thats the kind of vibe I like in an album. Infected gets a little bogged down and heavy for me. I still listen to Still Waiting, Hell Song, HPIC, Thanks For Nothing and No Brains. And I like the end of Hooch. But yes, its a solid album if you just wanna rock out.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Zalex09 wrote:This album has tons of great songs that they dont really play live anymore. Sucks.

Why play My Direction when there's Mr. Amsterdam, Thanks for Nothing, No Brains, Hyper and Hooch to choose from. The sums have played all those live before.

Also, Billy Spleen never was played ONCE. That song is underrated.
they played mr Amsterdam a few months ago, well think it was in march??
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

DTLI is Sum 41's best work. It feels so right, like it was done quickly (which it was) but not rushed. Hard to explain what I mean.

Straight rock album, no bullshit.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

It's a great album but the production bugs me really bad when i listen to it.
Jeremy Kill
Does This Look Infected!?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

kILLDR3n wrote:DTLI is Sum 41's best work. It feels so right, like it was done quickly (which it was) but not rushed. Hard to explain what I mean.

Straight rock album, no bullshit.
I know what you mean, like they didn't over-think things and pretty much went with their gut.

The layers of guitar in the bridge of Still Waiting is amazing.
krivco
First name: Peter

Post by krivco »

I mean, stop whatever you are doing right now and listen to Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condriod. WTF is that? I never really heard how good this shit was before.
youre really right..couple of months ago I realized that too..really good and a little bit like underground-sound album
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

DTLI is one of those albums where the more you listen the better it gets...for me that is..
Ashasx
Bunkface
First name: Jordan
Post by Ashasx »

Hard to believe that DTLI was released 15 years ago today.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i.imgur.com/j66kxPc.png[/imgwidth]
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

Dylan wrote:i remember seeing part of a special of them recording DTLI, and they used masking tape to mute the strings that Dave and Deryck weren't supposed to play- just to avoid any ringing out notes.
Sum 41 Exposed, it can be found on YouTube
evil_dwarf14

Post by evil_dwarf14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
2712 wrote:in my opinion, way too tight and over produced. it sounds like the engineer got way too excited about beat detective and strip silencing in protools and went overboard. i like DTLI, but if it were just a bit more raw and rough around the edges it would just make it that much better.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the guitar sound on Infected. The guitars just sound so artificial. I much prefer the production on Screaming Bloody Murder.
I could of sworn Deryxk posted on this forum a while ago saying he felt the same and wanted to re-record it as a sort of anniversary edition. Can someone get @ him for this plzz
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

evil_dwarf14 wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the guitar sound on Infected. The guitars just sound so artificial. I much prefer the production on Screaming Bloody Murder.
I could of sworn Deryxk posted on this forum a while ago saying he felt the same and wanted to re-record it as a sort of anniversary edition. Can someone get @ him for this plzz
Last time I talked with him in June, that project was almost ready. Deryck was thinking that he would be able to finish it by the 15th anniversary.

However, the problem is that Island Records owns the rights to DTLI. Deryck would need to acquire the rights from Island before he would be able to release it. And by June, Island didn't have any interest in giving them up. Half-jokingly, Deryck hopes that it gets resolved by the 20th anniversary.
evil_dwarf14

Post by evil_dwarf14 »

TomiT14 wrote:Last time I talked with him in June, that project was almost ready. Deryck was thinking that he would be able to finish it by the 15th anniversary.

However, the problem is that Island Records owns the rights to DTLI. Deryck would need to acquire the rights from Island before he would be able to release it. And by June, Island didn't have any interest in giving them up. Half-jokingly, Deryck hopes that it gets resolved by the 20th anniversary.

That's really exciting and disappointing all at once. I'm dying to hear Mr.Amsterdam
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

TomiT14 wrote:However, the problem is that Island Records owns the rights to DTLI. Deryck would need to acquire the rights from Island before he would be able to release it. And by June, Island didn't have any interest in giving them up.
That's total bullshit if you ask me. Sum 41 wrote the album. It's THEIR album. Yes I understand they were under Island Records' contract, but nevertheless, Island didn't put the time, effort, or creativity in to the record. Sum 41 did. Sum 41 should have the rights.

And I don't feel this way just because it's Sum 41. I feel the same way about all artists. The record label only gives the artist a way to distribute their music to the world. But the artists themselves do the real hard work.