Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Does This Look Infected!?

Post by Gregorovich »

Just listened to the Sum's second album in its entirety for the first time in over a year and...

Holy Shit. This album is insane. A little sloppy around the edges maybe, but epic nonetheless. I mean, stop whatever you are doing right now and listen to Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condriod. WTF is that? I never really heard how good this shit was before. What I would really love is for the band to produce something with a bit of this and a bit of Chuck. Something with a little bit of punk, a lot of classic rock/metal and some fucking crazy ass riffs. Maybe a ballad, as long as it doesn't turn out like WAITS. Though I wouldn't object to a little bit of the creepy SBM vibe.

Imagine this - an album with explosive Hell Song style choruses, My Direction style punkiness No Reason style aggression, Bitter End style solos, BIME/BWIB style riffs and Reason to Believe style graveyard-bell-intros

Oh, and they need to bring back the zombies. DESPERATELY.
fuck this signature nonsense
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Re: Does This Look Infected!?

Post by Jables »

YES.
Jeremy Kill
Does This Look Infected!?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Sounds like a much more elaborate description of a Sum 41 album I wanted after Underclass Hero (even after Chuck, but I didn't realize it until Underclass). Screaming Bloody Murder was close enough, more riffs would've been cool though. Not a big fan of the Hell Song chorus however; something about how it's sung and the drums I think.

Hyper-Insomnia was the song that warmed me up to actually liking Sum 41.
Zalex09

Post by Zalex09 »

This album has tons of great songs that they dont really play live anymore. Sucks.

Why play My Direction when there's Mr. Amsterdam, Thanks for Nothing, No Brains, Hyper and Hooch to choose from. The sums have played all those live before.

Also, Billy Spleen never was played ONCE. That song is underrated.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

in my opinion, way too tight and over produced. it sounds like the engineer got way too excited about beat detective and strip silencing in protools and went overboard. i like DTLI, but if it were just a bit more raw and rough around the edges it would just make it that much better.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

I love DTLI, thats my favorite Sums album! I never realized the meaning of Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condrioid until I started doing drugs haha. The whole album is pretty solid, I think it's probably their best work.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I really like this album the more i listen the more I like!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

2712 wrote:in my opinion, way too tight and over produced. it sounds like the engineer got way too excited about beat detective and strip silencing in protools and went overboard. i like DTLI, but if it were just a bit more raw and rough around the edges it would just make it that much better.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the guitar sound on Infected. The guitars just sound so artificial. I much prefer the production on Screaming Bloody Murder.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I listened to this album today while I was at work, still love no brains, over my head, and billy spleen. I always like to mix up the albums, but I haven't listened to Half Hour of Power or AKNF lately, they're more of a happy album...
hellsong41
First name: Chris

Post by hellsong41 »

I honestly love DTLI. The first Sum 41 songs I heard were on there, the Hell Song (hence, my username), No Brains, and Still Waiting. Before SBM was released, DTLI was probably my favorite Sum 41 album.
Believe me, it's alright.
It's so easy after all...
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

2712 wrote:in my opinion, way too tight and over produced. it sounds like the engineer got way too excited about beat detective and strip silencing in protools and went overboard. i like DTLI, but if it were just a bit more raw and rough around the edges it would just make it that much better.
Really? That album is anything but overproduced. It feels so raw compared to the rest of their albums.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

kILLDR3n wrote:
Really? That album is anything but overproduced. It feels so raw compared to the rest of their albums.
just listen to white limo by foo fighters or anything from their Wasting light album. that is raw. in fact, they didn't even use pro tools or any digital gear at all.

now, listen to a song like mr amsterdam or billy spleen. everything is so tight and precise, the engineer had to have heavily edited everything to be perfectly in time. also, i remember seeing part of a special of them recording DTLI, and they used masking tape to mute the strings that Dave and Deryck weren't supposed to play- just to avoid any ringing out notes.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
lisaNL
Chuck
First name: Lisa
Instrument 2: the remote control
Last.fm Username: lisaNL

Post by lisaNL »

Good idea, I'm gonna listen to it now, haven't done that in awhile.

Edit: I forgot how awesome mr. amsterdam is :3
Last edited by lisaNL on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

How can you forget how it sounds? The songs keep ringing in my head (stuck on repeat) every day. :glad:
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

TomiT14 wrote:How can you forget how it sounds? The songs keep ringing in my head (stuck on repeat) every day. :glad:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Just read the Spotify review for DTLI. Not only did it say the album was very Blink-sounding (which actually made me LOL), it claimed HHOP was the band's second LP and shared a sound with DTLI. I think the Sputnikmusic review for SBM was more accurate than that. ^^
fuck this signature nonsense
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

sumfan4 wrote:I never realized the meaning of Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condrioid until I started doing drugs haha.
Casual :hehe:

DTLI? Is my fave Sums album Thanks for Nothing is a personal favourite atm.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

It's one of those albums which just suits perfectly and when it doesn't, it's just kind of awesome anyway :2cool4u:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

2712 wrote:
kILLDR3n wrote:
just listen to white limo by foo fighters or anything from their Wasting light album. that is raw. in fact, they didn't even use pro tools or any digital gear at all.

now, listen to a song like mr amsterdam or billy spleen. everything is so tight and precise, the engineer had to have heavily edited everything to be perfectly in time. also, i remember seeing part of a special of them recording DTLI, and they used masking tape to mute the strings that Dave and Deryck weren't supposed to play- just to avoid any ringing out notes.
A lot of bands will tape their strings like that. Watched an As I Lay Dying making of yesterday and they do the same thing.
Stef
Walking Disaster
First name: Stef
Instrument 2: Drums

Post by Stef »

sumfan4 wrote:I love DTLI, thats my favorite Sums album! I never realized the meaning of Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condrioid until I started doing drugs haha. The whole album is pretty solid, I think it's probably their best work.
Don't do drugs, drugs are bad

Some days it just gets so hard
And I don’t wanna slip away.