Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Rocking the Z - Matt-card giveaway

Post by TomiT14 »

Some of you may have been wondering how it all went. And some of you don't know what I'm talking about. Either way, sorry that it has taken so long to write this! Have been really busy with work and everything after my trip.

The Show

The most epic I've seen. Also the hottest one. It was over 30 degrees outside (celsius, that's over 90 F to you Americans), so imagine how the temperature was with 1,200 people squeezed inside the club. It took 1h30 from the door-opening before the Sums came on stage, and I couldn't find a dry spot on my shirt that time. And a big part of the sweat on my shirt wasn't even my own, nice!

So yeah, took the familiar spot on the right side of the stage, 2nd row right in front of Tom. The supporting band sucked, mostly by the fact that they sang and talked in Croatian (surprise), so I had no idea what was going on. But the rest of the crowd seemed to like them.

And then it was show time. TNT blasted out, and on became the noices from the start of the SBM album. And damn, got chills when the drums of Reason To Believe started playing. My favorite song from the album, so that was all I was hoping for, so beyond this point everything was a plus. Loved the piano by Tom, much better live than on the album. Also when they brought the guitar along, that was huge. Skumfuk came right after, with Matt on piano this time (after the show he told that he can't play shit, just hitting the notes he's been told to :glad: ). Halfway through the song Matt spotted me from the crowd, cool!

Another of my favorites, Sick Of Everyone was played too. Of course it would've been nicer to hear the whole Dark Road, but this was awesome too! Again, so much better live than on the album!
Halfway through the show Tom spotted me too, but it was more special for me, since I wasn't even looking at him, and I was already on the 4th or 5th row, so not that easily to be found. Still he saw me somehow, blinking an eye at me. :silly:

Downside (if you can call it that) of being on the front row is that you can't help looking at the setlist they have taped on stage. This time though, it didn't go as planned. After a good half of the show, Deryck decided to shuffle the setlist. That made the show unpredictable, you couldn't tell what song would come next. But the downside was, they didn't play BIME or Back Where I Belong (+ Exit Song?) as the original setlist suggested. But luckily instead, they played Baby as the encore starter. And needless to say again, live version rocks!

Metal Mayhem had some Motorhead and Van Halen, along with the good old Metallica. I'm too lazy to seek for the song titles, so if you know the songs, feel free to post them.

Pics (not that great quality)
Vids

The Setlist
(click here to see the original)

1. Reason To Believe
2. Skumfuk (check 5:17 :silly: )
3. We're All To Blame
4. Walking Disaster
5. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)
6. Sick Of Everyone
7. Screaming Bloody Murder
8. Motivation + 88
9. The Hell Song
10. My Direction
11. Metal Mayhem
12. Fat Lip
13. Underclass Hero
14. Still Waiting
--Encore--
15. Baby You Don't Wanna Know
16. In Too Deep
17. Pain For Pleasure

The Aftermath

Just like the previous times before, I hadn't heard from Matt for few hours before the show. After the show I went to Nick the merch guy, and showed the card to him. He was amazed, took his walky-talk, and told Matt to come downstairs immediately. So came Matt, we shook hands, then he told me to wait for few seconds as he makes sure it would be okay to meet the guys. So I waited and waited, Nick had already packed the merch and was leaving the venue, and the local security told me to leave. After I had waited for 30 minutes or more, Matt came and took me upstairs to meet the band. The backstage was huuuge, like the whole 2nd floor of the club was for the band's use only. The members and crew had spread all over the room, I didn't know who to talk to at first. Matt took me to get some drinks, and suddenly Cone surprised me with a hug. That was so unpredictable, haha! So I talked to him for a while, few words with Stevo and Tom too, then I decided it was time to hand out the card to Matt.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... reb035.jpg[/imgwidth]

I thanked Matt for all his efforts behalf of all the fans, and gave him the card. He became speechless, little bit emotional too. Cone and Tom were excited, and they checked out the card name-by-name if they could recognize them. Honorable mentions to Nic and Heather (of course), and "haha, AmIn Too Deep!" by Cone. Cone also bursted out laughing at Jeremy Disasters, so I bet he's seen some of the vids Jer! :winkwink:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e399/ ... reb029.jpg[/imgwidth]

Tried to get some neat info from Matt and Cone, so I asked something I could remember.

-The video for Screaming Bloody Murder. Matt said "Don't ask me that one, please. You''ll get Baby instead!". The video won't be released, saying "Guess it was too epic". He wasn't allowed to say anything about the video, but said "there must've been some fans at the shoot, maybe they could leak some info."

-The video for Baby was shot in Germany during three days. They used a local film crew to shoot it, and it's a very low budget one. Should be released in the next couple of weeks (as of end of June).

-Matt said the band liked BIME and Back Where I Belong as singles, but thought that the true fans already know their best songs, so they choose Baby since its radio friendly.

-Cone said they had played Holy Image Of Lies only once in Japan (by that time). They hadn't had enough soundchecks to rehearse the full Dark Road, but the goal was to start playing it during that tour. The band has also discussed about playing Crash live.

-Also, Cone said he designed one of the shirts they are selling on tour (the one on right). About his SBM shirt he uses on stage, it's not custom made, it's self-made. He used his own spray cans to make the letters. He has been asked if it could be sold as merch, but Cone declined, saying he wants it to be unique. But maybe after the SBM era touring he could reconsider.

Finally had a chance to chat with Deryck too. Again, I was so amazed how different he is in person compared to his performance on interviews and such. He was so full of happiness, laughing and dancing all the time I was there. He said he felt like shuffling the setlist in the middle of the show, that wasn't planned. Cone told they were supposed to play Back Where I Belong before the encore, but the stage was soo hot (and so was the crowd), so they decided to cut that to make the set a bit shorter. And to take advantage from this rare event, I asked Deryck about the working titles that have been floating around.

I'm Trying To Say - Best Of Me
Long - Pull The Curtain
Waste My Time - March Of The Dogs
We're Doing Fine - Underclass Hero
Priddle - Angels With Dirty Faces (Deryck didn't recall the final title, had to demonstrate the part after the intro)
Make Me Forever - There's No Solution
No Control - Subject To Change
Sister Act - early No Reason (he said Sister Act + No Control = No Reason)

Surprising note: Like Everyone Else is NOT a working title for We're The Same. They are two different songs.
Also, "Pla" is a final title for a UH B-side. It was recorded, but never released. "Pla" is a type of fish dish in some language (forgot which one). Deryck spotted that from a menu at some restaurant, and decided to order it only because of its name. Don't know what the song is about though.

So there you have it. I'm positive I forgot something, should've written all this down right after the show. Oh well.
Last edited by TomiT14 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Re: Rocking the Z - Matt-card giveaway

Post by 182sins »

WOW !!!! Again thanks Tomi, had a lot of fun reading that !!!
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Awesome post dude. You're one lucky bastard!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

You have no idea how jealous I am right now. Great job, man! Love that picture, I can see my name!!!
fuck this signature nonsense
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by HugoDisasters »

Fuck yeah my name is on there :2cool4u:

Great post, definitely some karma for you!

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

ahh that was a good read, sounds like you had a wicked night! :winkwink: you're so lucky and I'm just stuck with being jealous :silly:
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Thanks so much for sharing all this Tomi, great story, great questions. Glad you had a great time!!
Sickore
Billy Spleen
First name: Justyna
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: FiFty_B
Twitter: j_sickore

Post by Sickore »

Just wow :ohshiz: Thanks for sharing!! :happy:
usmari_41
Bunkface
First name: Bruna Usmari
AKA: Bruna Usmari
Twitter: brunausmari

Post by usmari_41 »

This is amazing, I could see my name there ... amazing new information!

Thank's Tomi, Can I post in Sum41Brasil?
adrianSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Adrian

Post by adrianSum »

Thanks for sharing this Tomi!. You did good questions.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by HugoDisasters »

You have to tell me your history about getting these connections with the band, not many people gets to do these things you know :hehe:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

reading this, one thing popped up in my mind, are other fans doing this kind of things too, and are other bands so easily accessible too ?
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Hideo_Kuze
Billy Spleen

Post by Hideo_Kuze »

great, thanks
"there must've been some fans at the shoot, maybe they could leak some info."
guys you know what to do now
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

i want to be cool with the sums like you are, its so awesome! haha. itd be a damn dream come true to hang with them backstage.
Last edited by Resident Skumfuk on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henriksicecream
First name: Henrik

Post by henriksicecream »

i really hope that card got two sides! 'cause i can't see my name anywhere! YES, i sent my signature.. dissapointed..
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:i want to be cool with the sums like you are, its so awesome! haha. itd be a damn dream come true to hang with them backstage.
you're so lucky, most of the guys I wanna meet are dead !
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

FuckT41182 wrote:
Resident Skumfuk wrote:i want to be cool with the sums like you are, its so awesome! haha. itd be a damn dream come true to hang with them backstage.
you're so lucky, most of the guys I wanna meet are dead !
Who would you like to meet thats dead?
Shelley41
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Shelley

Post by Shelley41 »

Oooooooooooooooh so cool. Thanks so much for sharing that!

I am just gonna cry out of jealousy now.

SARAH IS MY WIFE. DEAL WITH IT.
http://therearetoomanyurlstaken.tumblr.com/
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

usmari_41 wrote:Thank's Tomi, Can I post in Sum41Brasil?
Go ahead!
henriksicecream wrote:i really hope that card got two sides! 'cause i can't see my name anywhere! YES, i sent my signature.. dissapointed..
The card was posted earlier in the farewell thread.
HugoDisasters wrote:You have to tell me your history about getting these connections with the band, not many people gets to do these things you know :hehe:
Well for me, apart from MySpacing with the band members, it all started from running into Matt on the streets of Prague! :glad: So both karma and luck I guess. :silly:
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Thanks for sharing! Awesome!