Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Re: Rant

Post by Gregorovich »

Hideo_Kuze wrote:people love to complain when bands re-invent their sound, people love to complain when bands always make the same music
and then there are some bands who have an album that sounds partly like the fans favorite album and also offers a lot of new stuff and some people still need to be annoying and complain

How's Jessica Kill,BIME or Back Where I Belong any worse than No Reason or TNS or what ever you love the most off Chuck?

Deryck owns Sum41 to 100%, he isn't a god at shredding, Chuck isn't the best album in the world and Dave is not Satriani Jr.
get over it

if you want more like Bitter End, go listen to Metallica. But oh yeah SUm41 was that much more creative when Dave was around.
I've never listened to Dave's new stuff, so if there is any epic song he wrote or any epic riff he came up with, feel free to show me
Word.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

UltraKolby wrote:I TOTALLY agree with you about the Sums playing live. All they do now is play there singles for every show, but atleast now they're playing some new songs from SBM. The Sums definely need to stop drinking so much(...Deryck...) before playing and stop with all the bad jokes and the constant use the word "fuck", its getting old.
Agree all the way
Queso Man
King of Contradiction
First name: Bryant
360 Gamer Tag: Queso Man
Twitter: Queso_Man

Post by Queso Man »

It's Deryck's baby, get off his nuts. We know Cone has his own side projects, Stevo's just a drummer and directs videos, and they both have families. Deryck can do what he wants. We don't know have any clue how the past records' writing and recording process went exactly, so we need to stop imagining who deserves all the credit. And like someone else hinted at, if Dave is so great can you point us in the direction of some of his amazing riffs, etc since departing the Sums?
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Hideo_Kuze wrote:I've never listened to Dave's new stuff, so if there is any epic song he wrote or any epic riff he came up with, feel free to show me
Just listen to Brown Brigade and The Organ Thieves!
finglemaster wrote:And like someone else hinted at, if Dave is so great can you point us in the direction of some of his amazing riffs, etc since departing the Sums?
Check out the start riff in "Sinful" and a nice solo in "Shot Down" near the end.

http://www.myspace.com/OrganThieves

I've never really listened to the Organ Thieves, but I believe they are more soul and bluesy, so guitar style will be different than when Dave was in Brown Brigade. Should I mention Brown Brigade too? I just assume most people would have listened to it by now, but I think it might've only come out in Canada, though I can't remember.

This is personally my favorite Brown Brigade song. The riff just has so much character and also... bass solo!
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i don't know how much Dave writes in Organ Theives, but i thought he was basically a ambient/ back up guitarist. i mean, Chuck (?) the singer dude plays most of the leads. but i could be wrong.

also, i found brown brigade stuff not really all that amazing, guitar wise. i mean, i could have written the main part for WD-80 and i've only played for 2 years. :confusion: also, the solos were pretty basic metal solos if you ask me.

i like the Organ Thieves a lot though. i hope they do well.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Hideo_Kuze wrote: How's Jessica Kill,BIME or Back Where I Belong any worse than No Reason or TNS or what ever you love the most off Chuck?
Why'd you point out peoples favourites off the album lol? Also the album was just a part of the rant, probably a smaller part, you should have read the whole thing.

One problem I did notice with SBM is Deryck seems to have to finish every song with a quiet bit, why can't he just finish them with a bang?
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

I don't know, Blink 182's last album is totally different than anything else they have aver done, and yet I still think that it is the best album of theirs ...

but SBM is just not that good, it could be better, it was supposed to be fast and aggressive, and it not fast nor aggressive, it's just an average album for me ... but still much better than UH
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Tyler. wrote:One problem I did notice with SBM is Deryck seems to have to finish every song with a quiet bit, why can't he just finish them with a bang?
That's only the case in the first 3 tracks, and ADROOH.
fuck this signature nonsense
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I definatly agrees with most people that SBM was miles better than UH but it wasn't that fast at all. Most songs are rather mid-tempo actually. And i agree with too many songs starting an ending slowly, i don't mind this to some extent like on Chuck with songs like Angels With Dirty Faces, WATB and 88. But having that slow piano part at the end of RTB just makes it sound more like an album closer than an album opener.
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Post by Jables »

Hideo_Kuze wrote:Chuck isn't the best album in the world
In your opinion :silly:
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Tyler. wrote:
One problem I did notice with SBM is Deryck seems to have to finish every song with a quiet bit, why can't he just finish them with a bang?
-jessica kill?
-HIOL?
-sick of everyone?
-BIME?
-back where I belong?
Jables
Chuck
First name: Jables
360 Gamer Tag: The Sinful Baby
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Bouzouki

Post by Jables »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:
-jessica kill?
-HIOL?
-sick of everyone?
-BIME?
-back where I belong?
-Time for you to go?
-BYDWK?
-We're the Same?
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:
-jessica kill?
-HIOL?
-sick of everyone?
-BIME?
-back where I belong?
First of all you guys know "every" was an exaggeration

Sick of everyone is not the end of a song, Holy image of lies is not the end of a song.

Surprisingly enough (or not) the songs that don't end quietly have the best endings.
Last edited by Tyler. on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevo32
Billy Spleen
First name: Alessio

Post by stevo32 »

Well i lked SBM, and i'm listening to it a lot; they're playing 5/6 songs of the new album live now(SBM, Skumfuk,Sick of everyone, BYDWK, BWIB, Blood in my eyes) so i don't see this problem. Dave left the band because he said that he "could'nt express himself artistically with the guitar", cause he only wrote solos and some riffs. So this "Dave have to come back" ecc. is a really stupid and selfish way of reasoning because he was'nt happy staying in the band and now he is happy doing his own stuff.
The only thing i agree with is Tom helping more on guitar, cause now HE is the lead guitarist.
I'm my worst enemy
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

stevo32 wrote:The only thing i agree with is Tom helping more on guitar, cause now HE is the lead guitarist.
I am different because I like their first two albums the most, so Dave wouldn't really help anything lol. But I am most in favour of Tom helping out more. However we don't really know if that was his choice or Deryck's, wasn't he away with Gob during recording process? I dunno but maybe wasn't all Deryck's fault, although I still doubt he'd let Tom help too much haha
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Tyler. wrote:
Sick of everyone is not the end of a song, Holy image of lies is not the end of a song.
those are the ends of the songs, not the end of the 12 minute section
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

They're endings to those particular tracks but they are not the ending of a song. If you listen to those endings on their own they sound like shit, as they are not endings.
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

kevin5064 wrote: The set list was long and they had a good mix of everything, not just the singles. They have been playing the SAME bullshit set since 2007 now, with the exception of only a few songs.
Machine Gun, Makes no differences, No Reason, Mr. Amsterdam, Welcome to hell, March of the Dogs, King of contradiction, Pieces, No brains, Confusion and frustration

These are the songs they sometimes played since 2007, and sometimes not. There's maybe even more (from the Underclass Hero record)

And it's the same for cover songs :

Attitude, American Girl, Paint it black, Rebel Yell, Metal Mayhem, Metallica Songs, That's alright Mamma

So there's 17 "exception of only a few songs". A few songs ? Really ?

Okay, they're playing Fat Lip, The Hell Song, etc... all the time, but if they wouldn't, the fans wouldn't like it. They're maybe playing almost the same list than the previous and the next show because it's easier for them, but you don't go to each show of a tour right ? They tried to change the set list a bit when they can, and it's even more the case since the SBM tour started (but the problem may be that you don't like the two last records after all)

kevin5064 wrote: Why are they so distant from the fans to point where they rarely come outside after the shows to have real conversations rather than signing a few autographs and immediately going to their bus?
I'm sure they would love but I'm also sure that if they started to talk with a fan, the next minute there would be 50 other fans asking for autographs and photos...
kevin5064 wrote: Also, why aren't they touring with other bands like everyone else? It seems that every show they play now is either a festival or random club show with shitty local openers.
You seem to forget the tour with the Offspring, the eastpack antidote tour with 3 other american bands which lasted one month and half. Also isn't it cool to play with a local band (which are not that shitty) ?

They played 3 shows with a french band and everyone really loved them. This band told me they really liked the Sum 41 crowd, and that the show was really amazing, and they surely got new fans. It's really cool for them, and the french crowd had fun while this indie rock band was playing. So what is wrong with the local supporting act ? It's a cool thing for everyone.

Ok, I answer when I don't agree, but I have to admit I sometimes agree with what you're saying.
We must use our voices as a flag.
And make it resonate in every building, in every head.

The youth is raising up in burning cages, not just pretences.

We are the solution.

http://sum41-france.com
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

Mothafucking Monster wrote:I don't know what Sum 41's set list is these days, but somebody mentioned how they mainly play singles now as well as new material. That's just something you do as a band. I understand that the band can pick the songs they play live, but I think that because every normal band out there basically caters to fans, they play the singles. They feel obligated to do so. Have you also ever realized that the band has already played those old songs hundreds of times? Songs off of old records may not be played because the band doesn't really enjoy playing them anymore. The reason they probably still play songs like Fat Lip or Still Waiting are because the fans enjoy them. They do their best to incorporate what the casual fan will want to hear, while also playing the songs that they actually want to play (ie. new songs).

Also, someone mentioned not making negative threads about Sum 41.... it's fine to do so. I'm not going to ban someone for voicing their opinion on Sum 41 unless they say something extremely stupid like "Deryck's gay, Cone is a pussy, they suck dick, etc." as their reasoning as to why they are upset with Sum 41. If the guy has a point behind his topic, let him talk.

Here's something I noticed about SBM. I listened to it, and thought some songs were fantastic, or some parts of songs were fantastic. Reason To Believe is AWESOME. It has an interesting intro, and it just flows. Then, it hits this dead spot where it slows down. That "bridge" or whatever you'd call it, is what kills the song, and where the band absolutely proves that they may be over-thinking the song. That's a spot where maybe someone elses input would have been better. Had they just kept the song speedy, it would roll right through and make the album start off with a bang. I mean, really, that opening riff is sick. and then it leads into "man, give me reason to believe..." and you're like HOLY SHIT SUM 41 NOWAYYY THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME.

Reason To Believe up until the bridge seriously made me feel like I had been listening to the band I used to love. It made me fall back in love with them all over again. I was genuinely excited to listen to that album as a result of hearing that opening track. Then, the bridge hits, and it's like... "lol, nevermind".

One thing I'd like to say is that this album would have been much better had it been maybe cut up a bit. I think that I would have personally enjoyed an EP much more than the full album. If they released an EP with just Reason To Believe, SBM, Blood In My Eyes, Jessica Kill, and Skumfuk, I probably would have thought that Sum 41 had their former swag back. However, the album just has so much god damn filler that is so prevalent on every Sum 41 album I've heard. The first few tracks are sick, but then the middle just drags, and then by the end I'm sick of the band and never want to listen to them again.

That's my views regarding the posts I've read in this topic (which weren't a huge amount).
^ i agree with pretty much everything here.
ptido wrote:
kevin5064 wrote: The set list was long and they had a good mix of everything, not just the singles. They have been playing the SAME bullshit set since 2007 now, with the exception of only a few songs.
Machine Gun, Makes no differences, No Reason, Mr. Amsterdam, Welcome to hell, March of the Dogs, King of contradiction, Pieces, No brains, Confusion and frustration

These are the songs they sometimes played since 2007, and sometimes not. There's maybe even more (from the Underclass Hero record)

And it's the same for cover songs :

Attitude, American Girl, Paint it black, Rebel Yell, Metal Mayhem, Metallica Songs, That's alright Mamma

So there's 17 "exception of only a few songs". A few songs ? Really ?

all of those songs you listed at the top were (and still are) rarely ever played in the past four years. and some were played a few times and never played ever again. as for cover songs, why the fuck would we want to hear cover songs? those don't even count in my opinion. i'm there to see Sum 41 play their own material. with that said, they should insert better songs into the set instead of covers.

ptido wrote:
kevin5064 wrote: Why are they so distant from the fans to point where they rarely come outside after the shows to have real conversations rather than signing a few autographs and immediately going to their bus?
I'm sure they would love but I'm also sure that if they started to talk with a fan, the next minute there would be 50 other fans asking for autographs and photos...
it's very very rare that more than ten people (at the most) wait outside to meet this band for several hours. most people lose patience and go home. even if there are more people outside, so what? they are the reason the band even has money. god forbid you pay them back by shaking their hand and saying hi to them. there are plenty of bands out there who go out after shows and meet a ton of fans...so why would it be so hard to meet the few that waited for them?
ptido wrote:
kevin5064 wrote: Also, why aren't they touring with other bands like everyone else? It seems that every show they play now is either a festival or random club show with shitty local openers.
You seem to forget the tour with the Offspring, the eastpack antidote tour with 3 other american bands which lasted one month and half. Also isn't it cool to play with a local band (which are not that shitty) ?

They played 3 shows with a french band and everyone really loved them. This band told me they really liked the Sum 41 crowd, and that the show was really amazing, and they surely got new fans. It's really cool for them, and the french crowd had fun while this indie rock band was playing. So what is wrong with the local supporting act ? It's a cool thing for everyone..
and YOU seem to forget that The Offspring was headlining that tour, NOT Sum 41. therefore, The Offspring were the ones taking other bands on tour with them like all other normal bands do. that was the point i was making.

sure, maybe local french bands are cool and you guys get a kick out of it, but venues in North America get the worst local bands in the entire world to open for Sum 41 simply because they don't arrange tours with other popular/up-and-coming bands to fill the slot. nothing beats finding out that TWO of your favorite bands are touring together, but with Sum 41 that will probably never happen because they won't tour with anyone.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Post by SBMurder »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:
those are the ends of the songs, not the end of the 12 minute section
Listening to sick of everyone on its own is still pretty good