Rant

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kevin5064
Hooch

Rant

Post by kevin5064 »

I rarely post here, but I've noticed that no one ever starts any long/interesting debates about the band. So I'm going to go on a rant and hopefully people will respond in a reasonable manner about how they feel about the topics I'm going to make note of. I understand that a lot of you will just get pissed off, but the Sum 41 section gets SO boring because you all post about the same things every single day and there needs to be some different conversations for a change. Plus, no one around me likes Sum 41 so I never have anyone to discuss these things with.

So anyway, I'm pretty fed up with this band. After a few months, I've decided that SBM really isn't that good and definitely did not live up to Chuck (nor was it their "heaviest album to date"). This album could have been so much better if only they had kept a producer and had let Tom help with guitar parts. I realize that they (Deryck..) think they can do it all on their own, but the past proves that they can't. The albums that the majority of fans love the most were done while Dave was still in the band and while they had good producers. Deryck can try to say that he has always written the guitar parts, but every time he speaks the words I can't help but to laugh. Anyone with ears can tell the difference between Deryck and Dave's playing styles and who wrote what.

As far as vocal melodies post-Chuck, am I the only one who noticed the fact that Deryck is just re-using old melodies and altering them slightly? For example: Jessica Kill (Still Waiting), What Am I To Say (With Me), Best Of Me (fucking..Hoobastank - The Reason), With Me (Yellowcard - Only One). All of these songs were done without producers, meaning he is probably running out of ideas and no one is there to help him with it...maybe because he won't let them?

Sum 41 used to be one of the best bands I have ever seen live, the way they performed on the Go Chuck Yourself tour was spot on. The set list was long and they had a good mix of everything, not just the singles. They have been playing the SAME bullshit set since 2007 now, with the exception of only a few songs. The band is noticeably more drunk and vocals are pretty bad because of it. What I don't get is that Tom can play all of those metal covers perfectly but yet he still can't play Sum 41 songs the right way (he fucks up on solos all the time). If they "only care about the fans" like Deryck so often says, why don't they start playing songs we all want to hear? Why doesn't Deryck speak to the audience like normal people instead of using the same scripted lines that we've all heard a million times before? Why are they so distant from the fans to point where they rarely come outside after the shows to have real conversations rather than signing a few autographs and immediately going to their bus? It's 2011, there's no such thing as "rockstars" anymore so they should lose the attitude and scripted stage presence. Also, why aren't they touring with other bands like everyone else? It seems that every show they play now is either a festival or random club show with shitty local openers.

Basically, I think this band would be so much better if they would just straighten everything out. Imagine how much better they would be if EVERY single member took part in the writing process and they had a producer come in to keep the songs structured well, fresh, and interesting. I know that we would all enjoy the shows so much more if they changed the set list up all the time, dropped the scripted stage banter, drank less, toured with other relevant bands, and hung out for a little while after.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by kevin5064 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeff

Re: Rant/Debate Thread

Post by SBMurder »

We should not make a thread on hating the band this site revolves around. But i can try debating this when im bored
Last edited by SBMurder on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

how is this hating on the band? we all have things we want to say so why not discuss them? mods can go ahead and delete this if they feel it's too much (i can understand that), but i don't see the big deal.
Last edited by kevin5064 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle

Post by SBMurder »

kevin5064 wrote:how is this hating on the band? we all have things we want to say so why not discuss them?
Yea i didn't think to much when i posted that so I guess I could express my feelings on the stuff i don't like about them
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

SBMurder wrote:
kevin5064 wrote:how is this hating on the band? we all have things we want to say so why not discuss them?
Yea i didn't think to much when i posted that so I guess I could express my feelings on the stuff i don't like about them
it's not about what we don't like about them, but what we feel would be better if they did certain things differently. or what we'd like to see from them. if that makes sense.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

In my opinion SBM is the best album tied with DTLI. Both changed things up a bit from the band's previous works, although they are completely different albums. What Am I To Say sucks I'll have to admit. Jessica Kill doesn't sound anything like Still Waiting. The one part you talk about is like only a few words.

Yeah a lot of the guitar on this album is pretty simple sounding, but it works for the most part. Dave could have made much more original riffs though. This album lacks memorable riffs. There are only a few on here if that. Definitely can differentiate what Deryck wrote and what Dave did from the past.

I do agree with everything you're saying about their live performances. They play the songs pretty well but are VERY lazy. Its rather annoying now. Someone just tell Sum 41 to get input from only TNS and they would have a perfect setlist. A full headlining setlist should be at least 90 minutes. That's a real show.
Last edited by kILLDR3n on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle

Re: Rant

Post by SBMurder »

I personally liked what am i to say but i do have to agree it doesn't fit on SBM
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I agree pretty much.

They need to get Dave back if they're going to make another decent album, or have Tom in there actually writing every lead guitar part. That asshole Deryck can back off a bit.
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

I TOTALLY agree with you about the Sums playing live. All they do now is play there singles for every show, but atleast now they're playing some new songs from SBM. The Sums definely need to stop drinking so much(...Deryck...) before playing and stop with all the bad jokes and the constant use the word "fuck", its getting old.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

kILLDR3n wrote:In my opinion SBM is the best album tied with DTLI. Both changed things up a bit from the band's previous works, although they are completely different albums. What Am I To Say sucks I'll have to admit. Jessica Kill doesn't sound anything like Still Waiting. The one part you talk about is like only a few words.
i'll agree that they changed it up, and that's a good thing. i don't think it's their worst album by any means either (i'd say UH is).

and yeah, i was on referring to those few words in Jessica Kill. as a regular fan i'm able to let it go, but i work at a music store and the first day SBM (as a full album) came on the music player, a co-worker who doesn't even listen to the band a lot turned to me when he heard those lines and flat out said "that sounds A LOT like another one of their songs".
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle

Post by kILLDR3n »

A Dark Road Out of Hell is the best song Sum 41 has written since DTLI though.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

I don't understand how they can be all like fuck the mainstream fuck everyone except the people that like us but then not hang out heaps with them? (if what you say is right)
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

well i've stood outside of venues for hours several times waiting for them and Steve has been the only one to ever come outside to say something to a fan. and even then it's never that long.
kILLDR3n wrote:A Dark Road Out of Hell is the best song Sum 41 has written since DTLI though.
i don't know if many will agree with that haha
SBMurder
Ma Poubelle

Post by SBMurder »

kILLDR3n wrote:A Dark Road Out of Hell is the best song Sum 41 has written since DTLI though.
Personally I like A Dark Road Out of Hell a lot more than most Sum 41 Songs but the rest of their songs are still Kick ass for the most part
noexcuses
First name: Melanie

Post by noexcuses »

dont forget about crash.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 0207_n.jpg[/imgwidth]
im Mitchell's (blackhawk1105) noob!
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle

Post by kILLDR3n »

kevin5064 wrote:well i've stood outside of venues for hours several times waiting for them and Steve has been the only one to ever come outside to say something to a fan. and even then it's never that long.
Well the only song that I think may contend with it after DTLI would be 88. I think A Dark Road Out of Hell is better than that though by just a hair. Then DTLI has a few of my favorite Sum 41 songs that end up beating it.

What would beat it from Chuck through SBM? If you said No Reason, We're All to Blame, or ANY song from UH then get the fuck out of here...

Also I'm talking about the song as a whole. I don't care for one word what the lyrics actually mean. I'm talking melody, structure, etc.
kevin5064
Hooch

Post by kevin5064 »

kILLDR3n wrote:
kevin5064 wrote:well i've stood outside of venues for hours several times waiting for them and Steve has been the only one to ever come outside to say something to a fan. and even then it's never that long.
Well the only song that I think may contend with it after DTLI would be 88. I think A Dark Road Out of Hell is better than that though by just a hair. Then DTLI has a few of my favorite Sum 41 songs that end up beating it.

What would beat it from Chuck through SBM? If you said No Reason, We're All to Blame, or ANY song from UH then get the fuck out of here...

Also I'm talking about the song as a whole. I don't care for one word what the lyrics actually mean. I'm talking melody, structure, etc.
dude, to be honest i'd say any song off of Chuck besides The Bitter End beats it. remember that it's all opinion and no one is necessarily right about anything when it comes to say which songs are better. i feel like Chuck had better melodies, lyrics, production, EVERYTHING. the only thing that can really back my statement up would be respected magazine reviews and album sales.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Dark Road had some epic moments but there was too much "blank space", there could've been so much more guitar in it, and it wouldn't have made it worse, it would've made it better.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle

Post by kILLDR3n »

Tyler. wrote:Dark Road had some epic moments but there was too much "blank space", there could've been so much more guitar in it, and it wouldn't have made it worse, it would've made it better.
Possibly. Again SBM as a whole was pretty simple guitar wise. If Dave were still here...
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

I think it would've been their best album since AKNF if Dave came back to the band after UH