Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re: Sum 41 Chuck era

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

MetalMilitant41 wrote:Because they are crowd favourites?
IN TOO DEEP IS THEIR MOST POPULAR SONG. It's a HUGE crowd favorite.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

Yeah i know, maybe they thought it didn't fit with their heavier style during Chuck. It was their popiest single up till Chuck
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

To me, the band should SUPPORT their newest album. They called their tour The Underclass Hero tour, where they played only 3-4 songs from the album. Lame.

Of course there are fan favorites, but they should recycle them. Let's say, play either Motivation OR In Too Deep, not both in the same show or something.

Fan favorites shouldn't mean the same setlist for ages.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

TomiT14 wrote:To me, the band should SUPPORT their newest album. They called their tour The Underclass Hero tour, where they played only 3-4 songs from the album. Lame.

Of course there are fan favorites, but they should recycle them. Let's say, play either Motivation OR In Too Deep, not both in the same show or something.

Fan favorites shouldn't mean the same setlist for ages.
I agree whole-heartedly.

In the earlier days it was harder for them because they had very little material, so they were pretty much "forced" to use all their new songs for setlists. Now they have lots to work with and they really want to just please the crowd by playing the songs everyone knows.

I suppose that's alright if you're doing a bunch of festivals or something, but once they start their Screaming Bloody Murder world tour, I expect that their setlist be complied of mostly new songs!
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

Yeah definitely agree with both your comments, but half their show is enough for new material, otherwise fans favourites and 'crowd pleasers' won't get played. A rotational policy would work well like that Tomi. You've got to leave room for a great, energetic show and thats what you get from most of the Sum 41 setlist. Although lots of SBM songs are 'Epic', somehow i think only a few will work well live....but this remains to be seen of course.
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

I know Green Day is in a different league with their 30-song setlists, but their recent tour mainly consisted of their last two albums. They played only one song from one of their first two albums, 4-5 songs from their breakthrough album, 4 songs altogether from their next 3 albums, and the rest from their newer albums. That means, in a 30-song setlist, 60% of the songs were from two of their latest albums.

If Sums used the same pattern, they should play at least 10 songs from UH and SBM.
On their recent tour they played only 2 UH and 2 SBM songs. Time to get refreshed?
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

TomiT14 wrote:I know Green Day is in a different league with their 30-song setlists, but their recent tour mainly consisted of their last two albums. They played only one song from one of their first two albums, 4-5 songs from their breakthrough album, 4 songs altogether from their next 3 albums, and the rest from their newer albums. That means, in a 30-song setlist, 60% of the songs were from two of their latest albums.

If Sums used the same pattern, they should play at least 10 songs from UH and SBM.
On their recent tour they played only 2 UH and 2 SBM songs. Time to get refreshed?
But thats because both American Idiot and 21CB were successes, more AI of course. Of course they should play 5-6 songs from SBM, or more depending on the length of their setlist and still a couple from UH.

TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

MetalMilitant41 wrote:But thats because both American Idiot and 21CB were successes
Yeah, I said GD is in a different league. But UH was #1 selling album in Japan for 4 weeks, and #4 rock album for a week in the States. That is quite well for Sums, who are not that big of a band. So although majority of TNS dislike UH, it was still commercially succesful enough (in the beginning, before the downfall that followed Deryck's back injury). So I think their shows should've deserved more UH songs back then.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

Yeah thats true, it did well. But we don't remember it charted so well

ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

I'm pretty sure that you would want to hear sum 41 play fat lip live before you die....many times, you can't go to every concert so you wanna hear new stuff and old classics...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I'd like to see the majority of Screaming Bloody Murder played in the show, to be honest. If I were to make up one of their setlists it would probably consist of Fat Lip, We're All to Blame, Pieces, and Still Waiting and then the rest be Screaming Bloody Murder tracks and a few more classics and oldies.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i think they should just increase their set length. keep most of the fan favourites, and add 5 or 6 new ones. when you have 6 albums you should play a 24-27 song set.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

Well if the Sums don't drag out the bridge's of some songs(Hell Song, Underclass Hero), they will have room to play more songs.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

The song's they can't take out are Fat Lip, In Too Deep, Hell Song, Still Waiting, We're All To Blame, Underclass Hero, Makes No Difference. That's about it, that's only 7 songs. So really, if they play a 15-20 song set they can easily get half of SBM in there.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

They should be playing at least 20 songs sets in the first place. Its not like they're opening for bands at all anymore. They are the big band, headlining most tours they do. They should be doing 20 songs sets at least and make them 90 minutes or more. Blink did 100 minute sets on their most recent comeback tour.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

I don't get why they evven play Underclass Hero, the absurdity of the lyrics should be enough to ditch that song. If they feel the need to play one of UH play March Of The Dogs instead or KOC. Oh and they should stop doing the extremely long bridges consisting of playing the same note for a very long time and talk between the songs instead.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Oh yeah I agree so in the 7 songs they really should play they should play March of the Dogs.

However when I saw them in 2007, Underclass Hero was a really good opener. It was heaps fun, so I dunno.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

I don't see why UH has to be one of their must play songs on the set. All the live videos of it I saw just lacks energy and stuff, and just doesn't work that good. Same can be said about Walking Disaster.. but I think WD still works better than UH so if they're leaving something off UH it should be WD and not UH the song.. don't a reason to play them both and don't see a reason to leave UH at all.. it isn't such a good song, mostly a song trying to be Fat Lip 2 and it just sounds lacking of edge and energy live, so it should dropped, IMO. Also, it was a pretty non-energetic lame opener I have to say hehe.. Hell Song, No Reason and Mr. Amsterdam are all better openers.
Zalex09

Post by Zalex09 »

Tyler. wrote:The song's they can't take out are Fat Lip, In Too Deep, Hell Song, Still Waiting, We're All To Blame, Underclass Hero, Makes No Difference. That's about it, that's only 7 songs. So really, if they play a 15-20 song set they can easily get half of SBM in there.
This summer, they took out Makes no Difference and played 2 GOB songs(and rolling stones/metallica covers) instead for the show in Quebec (. It was probly to rest Derycks voice since he was still sick. But I would take out Underclass hero before Makes No Difference.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

^
Yeah that show in Quebec was when Deryck just recovered from losing his voice after they cancelled like 5 Warped Tour dates because of it. Could've been cool see them play some Gob. But yeah, I agree that if either UH or Makes No Difference should've been taken outta the setlist, UH should go away first. Makes No Difference is a true classic and their first single.. and it's a shame that they barely play it live these days. It's better than In Too Deep, also, IMO.