Band of Brothers & The Pacific

Grab the popcorn!

Moderators: Janet, Gutter Dreams

Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Band of Brothers & The Pacific

Post by Phili »

Two great mini-series produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. One from 2001, one from 2010. One about American paratroopers in World War II Europe, one about American marines in the World War II Pacific.

How much I love these kind of proves how obsessed I am with human emotions in the war zone. Not on the home front, mind you. On the front lines strictly.

Anyway. Who's heard of them? Who's seen them? Who likes them?
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Re: Band of Brothers & The Pacific

Post by DeryckW »

I seen both of these mini-series. I have to say that Band of Brothers is much better than The Pacific. The Pacific can get really boring sometimes but in Band of Brothers you are hook on the action all the time. Well, maybe not the last episode. But then again, Bad of Brothers is in my opinion the best TV-show thats ever been casted on TV. There is nothing thats beats it.

I give Band of Brothers 10/10 and The Pacific 6/10. The Pacific lets out to much information, battles that took several months only took 1 episode get everything? Don't think so.
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

yeah but in The Pacific they maybe wanted to show more the feelings of those soldiers ...you know like the guy who was ashamed cause his father didn't want to let him go and fight ...Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are great together and ...both of these shows are just perfect ...

btw:Another show by Spielberg that I started to watch on Friday is called Taken ...the first episode was fucking awesome ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Band of Brothers is way better. After 10 episodes of The Pacific i still weren't sure of who was who. Since i loved Band of Brother so much i bought the book and Major Winters war memoirs. They're so good. I think i'm gonna buy the rest of the memoirs aswell. It's kind of sad though that so many good characters dissaperas after Bastogne, Guarnere, Joe Toye, Buck and Hoobler.

Since i used to watch Friends alot back in the day it was quite a shocker to see David Schwimmer as a badass captain, but after a while you got used to it.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Emil wrote:Band of Brothers is way better. After 10 episodes of The Pacific i still weren't sure of who was who. Since i loved Band of Brother so much i bought the book and Major Winters war memoirs. They're so good. I think i'm gonna buy the rest of the memoirs aswell. It's kind of sad though that so many good characters dissaperas after Bastogne, Guarnere, Joe Toye, Buck and Hoobler.

Since i used to watch Friends alot back in the day it was quite a shocker to see David Schwimmer as a badass captain, but after a while you got used to it.
I also bought the book ! Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose ...perfect book
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
I'm A Cunt [*banned*]
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Charley
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by I'm A Cunt [*banned*] »

Seen them both, love them both. I've pretty much seen every WWII movie to come out, american or otherwise. Even old documentaries, fascinating stuff.
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Sumfan wrote:Seen them both, love them both. I've pretty much seen every WWII movie to come out, american or otherwise. Even old documentaries, fascinating stuff.
I'm kind of like that. Ever seen Stalingrad? That's one hell of a movie. I actually prefer the german movies about WWII cause they give it another perspective on things.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

I actually am just finishing up The Pacific, and I completely agree, Band of Brothers is much better. To say that The Pacific in any way displays the emotions of the soldiers better than Band of Brothers is pure lunacy.

I haven't read the book yet, but I look forward to doing so. I haven't liked a single series or movie that focuses on combat aside from these two, though. And I barely like The Pacific, I just got really attached to Sledge and Phillips... Phillips mostly because he looks like Gottlieb from Band of Brothers. Did anyone else notice that? Something about the eyes. (Also, you guys might not connect as much to this, but Leckie looks almost exactly like Matthew Morrison, who plays Will Schuester in Glee.)

I also felt like they rushed through things in The Pacific while everything was given the right amount of time in Band of Brothers.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

i've seen the pacific , though it wasn't as great as i thought it'd be
btw i just saw flags of our fathers a while back, awesome
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Still Waiting wrote:i've seen the pacific , though it wasn't as great as i thought it'd be
btw i just saw flags of our fathers a while back, awesome
Letters From Iwo Jima is better. It dispalys it from the Japanease point of wiev.
Phili wrote:I actually am just finishing up The Pacific, and I completely agree, Band of Brothers is much better. To say that The Pacific in any way displays the emotions of the soldiers better than Band of Brothers is pure lunacy.
Yeah, the episodes about Bastogne and the one with the patrol is so fucking. Just take Malarkey as an example, in the beginning of the series he's one of the happy guys all the time but in teh one with the partol he just seems kind of broken.
Phili wrote:I also felt like they rushed through things in The Pacific while everything was given the right amount of time in Band of Brothers.
I think it may be because band of brothers has the training episode that show's the first two years of training while in The Pacific they were actually fighting during that time so they kind of had to rush it.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

[quote="Phili"]I actually am just finishing up The Pacific, and I completely agree, Band of Brothers is much better. To say that The Pacific in any way displays the emotions of the soldiers better than Band of Brothers is pure lunacy./quote]

I did not say that they did ...I just said that maybe they wanted to try it ..
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

That's very true, Emil. I still feel like they messed up their priorities with The Pacific, though.
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Phili wrote:That's very true, Emil. I still feel like they messed up their priorities with The Pacific, though.
Yeah, I agree. You never got to know the characters. It was especially annoying that they followed two companies.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Yeah that was really irritating because I was sitting watching Sledge relax and then the characters I was used to walked by. Chuckler looked SO BAD and I was just like "what the fuck happened to him?!". And you ended up somewhat following three companies because Basilone went home and then went back. To be honest, the way they did it, I didn't end up caring about Leckie or Basilone half as much as I cared about Sledge and I'm pretty sure we were supposed to care about all 3 equally...
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

I just noticed that both shows have these über killers. BOB had Speirs and The Pacific had Basilone. I liked Speirs better.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

I love love love Speirs... Basilone... I think if they had done him right I would have liked him... but I just didn't. I didn't like his wife either, so I didn't really care when he died. I would have cried if Speirs had died. Liebgott and Luz are my favourite Band of Brothers characters, I think... Did you notice how similar Liebgott and Phillips from The Pacific looked?!
Emil
Underclass Hero

Post by Emil »

Phili wrote:I love love love Speirs... Basilone... I think if they had done him right I would have liked him... but I just didn't. I didn't like his wife either, so I didn't really care when he died. I would have cried if Speirs had died. Liebgott and Luz are my favourite Band of Brothers characters, I think... Did you notice how similar Liebgott and Phillips from The Pacific looked?!
I don't even remember who Phillips is. I don't really like talking about them as characters since they are real people but i really like Guarnere and Bull.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

Phillips is Sledge's best friend who kind of looks like Ross McCall (Liebgott). Yeah, I was thinking that they're not really characters as I wrote that, but at the same time, the actors are NOT exactly who they're portraying. The words and people are exaggerated for dramatic purposes. Obviously I would never refer to the real people of Easy Company or the Pacific as "characters," but the on-screen adaptations of them are, in a way, characters.
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

I have Band of Brothers its amazing i watch it quite alot

I didnt get round to watching The Pacific cuz when I was watching the 1st episode my sky fuck'd up and didnt watch it cuz i hadnt seen the 1st episode and couldnt be assed to watch it online

so il just wait til the come out on dvd/blu ray