Grab the popcorn!

Moderators: Janet, Gutter Dreams

Peterr
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Peter
Harry Potter

Post by Peterr »

Some random review on WWL.

I have read all of the books and seen all of the movies so far without too much complaint other than the fact that I hate Voldemorts voice at times in the movie which doesn't exactly come off as the most scary or intimidating voice a villain has ever had.

Anyway...onto the new movie...

Overall Rating: 20%
Grade: F

To put it bluntly, this movie was an absolute disgrace to the book, and was just really poorly made, boring, and terrible in general as well. This movie was just a complete miss. The story was twisted and watered down, scenes were cut and pasted together in an often nonsensical way, the growing romances were poorly executed at best and often came off as awkward or forced...and even the acting fell off.

**SPOILER ALERT** - DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Voldemort does not even make an appearance in this movie. Not one. He is completely absent. How do you make a movie this late in the series and not even give the main villain as much as a cameo??

Worse yet, the final climactic scene of the movie should have been the huge epic battle that takes place at Hogwarts when Draco Malfoy gives the Death Eaters access into Hogwarts school. A huge battle should have erupted, during which time a weakened Dumbledore is disarmed by Malfoy who then doesn't have the guts to deliver the final kill. At this point, Draco loses his opportunity and Snape ends up killing Dumbledore. This is what happens in the book.

In the movie however, Dumbledore and Draco meet atop Hogwarts alone with Harry watching from a hidden location at Dumbledore's orders. Dumbledore allows Draco Malfoy to disarm him and Draco cannot deliver the death blow. Without any fight, the death eaters arrive on the roof and Snape kills Dumbledore.

No Epic Battle, no fight...nothing.

Most noticeable to someone who has read the book is the sense of calm that is portrayed in the movie or at least the sense of absolute urgency that is overlooked or missed. This movie should be showcasing Voldemorts background and his story of how he became what he is now, and how he turned evil...but this movie cuts out most of Voldemorts past and shows only two short cut scenes of him as a youngster growing up (his only appearances in the movie). Also, both sides, that of good and that of evil, are building up and preparing for a final climactic war. Throughout the book you have this edge of your seat thriller type of feel as the impending war and final battles begin to weigh heavily on the reader. By the time the reader puts down book 6 they absolutely cannot wait another second for book 7 to come because this looming battle is strongly felt...in the movie however it isn't. Instead, the casual movie watcher may just feel like Harry is going to set out in search of some Horcruxes and have to destroy that jewelry in the final film. A Lot of the danger is just completely lost.

And judging by the fb status, its not that good.
FHPFLs
mikey41
Hooch
First name: michael
Instrument 2: bass

Re: Harry Potter

Post by mikey41 »

i heard there was a sex scene :o
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

I gave up on HP after like the 3rd movie.
...as for reading, I haven't gotten past the 7th page of the 1st book, and I started it in 3rd grade, I'm going into my junior year of high school....do the math
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Got Nuts? wrote:Some random review on WWL.

I have read all of the books and seen all of the movies so far without too much complaint other than the fact that I hate Voldemorts voice at times in the movie which doesn't exactly come off as the most scary or intimidating voice a villain has ever had.

Anyway...onto the new movie...

Overall Rating: 20%
Grade: F

To put it bluntly, this movie was an absolute disgrace to the book, and was just really poorly made, boring, and terrible in general as well. This movie was just a complete miss. The story was twisted and watered down, scenes were cut and pasted together in an often nonsensical way, the growing romances were poorly executed at best and often came off as awkward or forced...and even the acting fell off.

**SPOILER ALERT** - DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Voldemort does not even make an appearance in this movie. Not one. He is completely absent. How do you make a movie this late in the series and not even give the main villain as much as a cameo??

Worse yet, the final climactic scene of the movie should have been the huge epic battle that takes place at Hogwarts when Draco Malfoy gives the Death Eaters access into Hogwarts school. A huge battle should have erupted, during which time a weakened Dumbledore is disarmed by Malfoy who then doesn't have the guts to deliver the final kill. At this point, Draco loses his opportunity and Snape ends up killing Dumbledore. This is what happens in the book.

In the movie however, Dumbledore and Draco meet atop Hogwarts alone with Harry watching from a hidden location at Dumbledore's orders. Dumbledore allows Draco Malfoy to disarm him and Draco cannot deliver the death blow. Without any fight, the death eaters arrive on the roof and Snape kills Dumbledore.

No Epic Battle, no fight...nothing.

Most noticeable to someone who has read the book is the sense of calm that is portrayed in the movie or at least the sense of absolute urgency that is overlooked or missed. This movie should be showcasing Voldemorts background and his story of how he became what he is now, and how he turned evil...but this movie cuts out most of Voldemorts past and shows only two short cut scenes of him as a youngster growing up (his only appearances in the movie). Also, both sides, that of good and that of evil, are building up and preparing for a final climactic war. Throughout the book you have this edge of your seat thriller type of feel as the impending war and final battles begin to weigh heavily on the reader. By the time the reader puts down book 6 they absolutely cannot wait another second for book 7 to come because this looming battle is strongly felt...in the movie however it isn't. Instead, the casual movie watcher may just feel like Harry is going to set out in search of some Horcruxes and have to destroy that jewelry in the final film. A Lot of the danger is just completely lost.

And judging by the fb status, its not that good.
FHPFLs
i'm not quite sure bout this cos i read that book in like 2005 ?? but i think voldy doesnt really appear on that one reem will tell ya
Bass Cone
Underclass Hero
First name: Brittany
Instrument 1: French Horn
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Guitar

Post by Bass Cone »

sumfan4 wrote:I gave up on HP after like the 3rd movie.
...as for reading, I haven't gotten past the 7th page of the 1st book, and I started it in 3rd grade, I'm going into my junior year of high school....do the math
That's a shame, they're good books. I read the first 4 in second grade and I'm going into junior year as well.
turtlehobopirate
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Minna
Instrument 1: Acoustic Guitar

Post by turtlehobopirate »

A bunch of Harry Potter fans said it was the best movie and stuff(13 year old girls that used to be in my class). I never read any of the books, but I've seen all the movies and I'm hoping to see this on Saturday.

Wikipedian Protester

http://xkcd.com/
http://explosm.net/
My masters are Reem and Aaron and they are awesome. My awesome n00b is Gutter Dreams. Don't mess with them.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

ya, i can't remember Volemort appearing in the book as well. thats a shame though, there should be at least epic battling in the background and especially when dumbledore dies and harry runs after snape. i haven't seen the movie yet, but i just know that Daniel what-his-face is a terrible actor.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

First of all, I got dragged into watching it so don't put my opinion much into account.
The ending was just disappointing. I agree that they could've done a lot more with it if they had followed through with the book. I was pissed off how they wasted so much time focusing on the relationship bits only to leave us with short bits of the actual important parts of the movie. The acting was awful but I was really glad Daniel Radcliffe could control his anger for more than 5 minutes on this one. I know the movie would've been a lot more worthwhile if I hadn't known
Spoiler: show
Snape killed Dumbledore but I did notice they seemed to rush the whole climax (they dedicated no more than 10 seconds to Snape revealing he was the half blood prince) and not to mention the Death Eaters, with the exception of Bellatrix, not getting enough screen time and dialogue.
Huge disappointment imo, especially next to such a good book like "Half Blood Prince".

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I've only ever read two of the books one summer (after I finished Grade 8): the third and fourth one. It was weird, I wasn't much of a recreational reader but every day I couldn't wait to read those books. But Goblet of Fire had a really depressing ending, like, "Fuck, shit hit the fan now" sort of deal. I only got halfway into Order of the Phoenix because school had started up again and I lost momentum. I still need to buy the last two books.

I haven't seen this movie yet because of the evening shifts at work. Sleep late, wake up late. But from what I hear, it's decent.
Blind Man's Arrow
Bunkface
First name: Peter Francis Geraci
360 Gamer Tag: Blinktravistyle

Post by Blind Man's Arrow »

I've only read Goblet of Fire.
the perfect li e
Billy Spleen

Post by the perfect li e »

I started reading the first 3 or 4 parts when I was about 8 or 10 and I remember reading them over and over then when I got older I just read it after it was released. I've seen the movies but the books are so much better. I've seen the trailer for the 6th movie... wasn't impressed. I'm honestly just gonna watch it so I can flame how much better the book is.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I was always liked the books but I would never say that I was a major fan of them, I do much prefer the books and maybe the films would be better if they actually followed the books instead of just cutting things out which does really annoy me. Other than that I have not seen the film and I don't plan to until I get my self a DVD rip of it
[donate][/donate]
iemnaiz
Chuck
First name: ZIAN

Post by iemnaiz »

i thought reem would make a topic about this instead of you.
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet

Post by Aaron »

iemnaiz wrote:i thought reem would make a topic about this instead of you.
what i was thinking
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
stevie486
Billy Spleen
First name: Stevie
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by stevie486 »

just back from cinema seeing HP6, thought was very good, funny and sad.
I've liked all films and the books.
ReemFTW
All Killer No Filler
First name: Reem

Post by ReemFTW »

RIUHAOIUGUOIAEGTUOIAGS
I saw this topic but when I opened it, that information thing came up. So now I searched for it again.

I honestly thought the directing sucked ass. But the acting was great!!! And the movie was so funny, which made up for it. I was especially disappointed because this was my favorite book of the series. And they sorta blew it. Why can't all their movies be like Prisoner of Azkaban? That movie was great!

<<SPOILERS AHEAD>>

Things I didn't like:
-Barely any mention of Rufus attempting to make Harry a 'mascot' for the wizarding world.
-Luna finding Harry on the train. I mean, TONKS was supposed to find him! That way, they could mention her Patronus changing and hint that she liked Remus, instead of her going "sweetheart" randomly in one of the scenes.
-Dumbledore seemed too healthy and energetic. Even after he drank that potion! WTF?
-The movie concentrating on the relationships rather than the plot itself.
-The events didn't seem to flow into eachother. Instead, they seemed seperate and irrelevant.
-Malfoy being way too isolated. I mean, I know he was concentrating and worrying, but he seemed like he was in this whole different dimension! And what's up with the suit? At the very least, he should've worn Hogwarts robes or something.
-The whole made up scene of The Burrow being in danger. WTF?
-Harry's paranoia wasn't showing. I mean he was OBSESSED with Malfoy.
-They didn't show the "little girl" dropping stuff to warn Malfoy in the room of requirement.
-Sure, Hermione was pissed about that Potions book. But they barely showed her looking and looking for the Prince's identity!!
-The humor was too much. It was too much of a romantic comedy.
-It wasn't made for people who've only watched the movies. I mean, people who haven't read the books wouldn't understand what was going on much.
-WHERE WERE THE MEMORIES?!?! They only showed us like, 2? THEY'RE VITAL!
-Dumbledore's death being so sudden. WTF? The scene was supposed to be super tense.
-Bellatrix not getting enough screen time. Helena's doing an AWESOME job at playing her! But she needs more screen time! I love every scene with Bellatrix. She is just so... awesome. And psycho as hell.

Things I liked:
-Concentration on character development. (well, kinda) It shows their friendship and them growing up. I loved the scene where Hermione was crying on Harry's shoulder, and the scene where they joke about Dumbledore's age, because that really showed their average-ness and that they're normal teenagers too, besides being magical.
-The acting. It was just really good.
-The humor. I know I said it kinda ruined the movie, but still it made up for the disappointment. Sortof.

>>END OF SPOILERS<<

So, that's the end of my review.
RATING: 6 or 7/10
*best signature in the world*
Aaron
Underclass Hero
First name: Aaron
360 Gamer Tag: xRG West
Instrument 1: Trumpet

Post by Aaron »

going to see it tonight
"Nice Guys Finish Last" -Leo Durocher
My masters are Still Waiting and Madjid
My Brothers and Sisters are Jake, Sara, and Heather.
My Noobs are Sum41Ant27 turtlehobopirate. My Grand-Noob is GutterDreams.
We have a messed up family :)
K.
Chuck
n00b: R.
AKA: kanguv41
Instrument 1: bass

Post by K. »

its still in theathres in here
i'll remember my emma :balling: because of that i didn't want to watch it
but i may go to see it this saturday