Tour Story: Euro '19

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Tour Story: Euro '19

Post by TomiT14 »

I would've called this a tradition of mine, sharing a story from my tour travels, but it seems I forgot to share the tale from the last Summer. Oh well, I'll revive this habit for this year's tour. :silly:

So, since I'm starting to feel old (turned 30 earlier this year), I figured I won't be able to travel around to see the Sums forever, so I want to do it as much as possible now while I still can. :devious:

SHOW #1: BUDAPEST, HUNGARY

There were quite many Skumfuks attending this show, so it was nice to hang out with fellow superfans. The show was at Budapest Park, which was really nice outdoor venue. Definitely one of my favorite places I've attended. The supporting band was a local one, singing in Hungarian. They were ok, but not knowing the language is always a bit of a turn off for me.

Ah, the Sums. It's always an exciting feeling to get to hear them after a while. The show was great, the crowd was crazy, everything went great! As I don't watch any self-filmed crowd videos from Youtube, I had no idea how great songs like Jessica Kill, Some Say, Out For Blood or The People Vs would sound like live. I was really excited how good they all sounded, especially Jessica Kill and People Vs.

After the show there were a bunch of Skumfuks waiting outside for the band to show up. If I remember correctly, in addition to me and the locals, there were fans from Italy, Russia, Germany and UK. Such a great group of fans! I tried to spread the word about TNS, surprisingly almost no one had heard about us. :sosad: After a while Dave came out and we took some pictures with him.

The Setlist
Spoiler: show
--Intro--
1. Motivation + 88
2. The Hell Song
3. King Of Contradiction
4. Walking Disaster
5. Underclass Hero
6. Pieces
7. Summer
8. Out For Blood
9. Jessica Kill
10. Another Brick In The Wall + Fake My Own Death
11. Some Say
12. The People Vs...
13. Drum Solo
--Encore 1--
14. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)
15. No Reason
16. We're All To Blame
17. Goddamn I'm Dead Again
18. With Me
19. We Will Rock You
20. In Too Deep
21. Still Waiting
--Encore 2--
22. Machine Gun
23. Fat Lip
SHOW #2. NOVA ROCK FESTIVAL, AUSTRIA

I prefer headlining shows over festivals, but since Nova Rock festival was near Vienna, which is only a 2-hour train ride away from Budapest, I decided to take trip there as well. Sum 41 was on at 9:30pm, and there were no other interesting bands in the lineup, so I figured I wouldn't need to be there earlier than an hour before or so. I took a train from Budapest to Vienna, found my hostel and checked in. It was still only 4pm, so I decided to take quick look of the city before leaving to the festival, which would be 45-minute train ride away from Vienna in a city called Nickelsdorf near the Hungary border.

So, after my city stroll, I went to the train station around 7pm and bought my ticket to a train which would leave at 7:30pm. The train wouldn't stop directly at Nickelsdorf station, so I would need to travel to small Hungarian city and change a train there. No big deal, until I was informed that my train is 30 minutes late. Still plenty of time to get to the festival, except that I would be missing my second train because of this delay. And not only that, but there were no more trains that day from that Hungarian city. :holyshit: So I headed to the service desk to sort out my problem. Only other option would've been to take another train with another connecting city few hours later, so I would be arriving to the festival area at 10pm, 30 minutes after the Sums would have started. :suicide:

Shit. I canceled my train tickets, and thought about skipping the festival altogether, since it started to become such a hassle. But after trying to think what to do for the rest of the evening, I wasn't keen on hanging around the city alone, especially since I've already seen so much of it before. So, I took an Uber to Nickelsdorf. The driver was cool, he let me use his Aux-cord to listen to Sum 41 while taking a 1-hour drive to the festival. :silly:

So after all the hassle at the train station and the Uber drive, I arrived at the festival grounds around 9pm, 30 minutes before Sum 41 was about to start. Plenty of time, right? So I went to the ticket booth to collect my ticket. Except they had no information about my ticket. :confusion: They tried to look for it, then said "Wait here for 30 minutes, someone will come to take care of this". Um, cool, but Sum 41 would start in 15 minutes, but ok. Luckily the guy came earlier, around 9:27pm. Sorted everything out, and figured that I was in a hurry, so he offered me a ride right next to the stage. I got there the second the band started to play Motivation, perfect timing! :glad: And not only that, but I was lucky to get to see the show on stage as well. Such a rollercoaster of a day!

The Setlist
1. Motivation + 88
2. The Hell Song
3. We're All To Blame
4. Goddamn I'm Dead Again
5. Out For Blood
6. Jessica Kill
7. Walking Disaster
8. Underclass Hero
9. Pieces (+ Seven Nation Army)
10. The People Vs...
11. Drum Solo
--Encore--
12. Another Brick In The Wall + Fake My Own Death
13. Metal Mayhem
15. No Reason
16. We Will Rock You
17. In Too Deep
18. Fat Lip
19. Still Waiting
SHOW #3. PRAGUE, CZECHIA

Went back home to Finland inbetween these shows. I was going to fly to Prague in the morning, and spend the day with the same group of Skumfuks from Budapest who were attending this show as well. But my flight got cancelled, and the next flight would be landing at the airport 90 minutes before the Sums would start. No biggie, I was used to this already. :glad:

Got to the venue (or the park, since the show was outdoors) just in time for the intro. And even though the crowd was packed, somehow I found myself in the front row and center rather quickly. Normally I prefer to be on the side of the front, to avoid the excessive pressure from the moshpits, but this time I wanted to be close to my friends. Well, most of the time I spent avoiding hit in the head by the crowdsurfers, and there were A LOT of them. Still, I enjoyed the show, especially to be able to witness the live premiere of A Death In The Family. :silly: I was so surprised how similar Deryck's singing sounded live compared to the recorded version. :ohshiz:

The aftermath was such a great treat. The band invited all of the super-Skumfuks backstage! And not only that, but Deryck, who normally seems very shy and avoids the crowd of people, came to us and started talking. So cool of him! Cone and Dave hung around too. The supporting band (which I missed seeing) for this show was The Creepshow (just started listening to them, I think I'm becoming a fan), whose member Chuck Coles has also been a member of Organ Thieves and Brown Brigade, Dave's side projects. Was cool to meet him too!

The Setlist
1. Motivation + 88
2. The Hell Song
3. We're All To Blame
5. Walking Disaster
6. Underclass Hero
7. War
8. Pieces
9. Out For Blood
10. Jessica Kill
11. A Death In The Family
12. Some Say
13. Drum Solo
--Encore 1--
14. Another Brick In The Wall + Fake My Own Death
15. Over My Head (Better Off Dead)
16. No Reason
17. With Me
18. We Will Rock You
19. In Too Deep
20. Still Waiting
--Encore 2--
21. Machine Gun
22. Fat Lip
SHOW #4. MANCHESTER, UK

Last one of the tour for me. I was particularly excited for this show, since I heard they played Never There for the first time the night before. The crowd was crazy, not as much crowdsurfers as in Prague, but still very active. The crowd was so energetic, so I was quite surprised by the amount of the slow songs the band played. And since they had already played three without Never There, and the crowd was getting even crazier, I began to doubt they would even play it that day. :confusion:

To my surprise, they did play it as the second to last song. I didn't expect it at all at that point, since a) the crowd was too energetic for a slow song and b) Deryck didn't have his acoustic guitar on like the night before, so I was expecting a different song. But I was so happy they played it, sounded great!

Deryck told me afterwards that he felt like not playing Never There, but asked Frank's opinion who said "let's do it". So it was very close they would've skipped it. :ohshiz: Also, the acoustic guitar gave a "buzzing sound" for that song, so that's why he changed it for this show.
--Intro--
1. Motivation + 88
2. The Hell Song
3. We're All To Blame
5. Walking Disaster
6. Underclass Hero
7. Pieces
8. Out For Blood
9. Jessica Kill
10. A Death In The Family
11. Some Say
12. Drum Solo
--Encore 1--
13. Another Brick In The Wall + Fake My Own Death
15. No Reason
16. With Me
17. We Will Rock You
18. In Too Deep
19. Still Waiting
--Encore 2--
20. Machine Gun
21. Never There
22. Fat Lip
Such a great tour! Glad to see them switching songs and their order here and there again. I was super lucky to meet them on multiple occasions, and the band and the crew are so nice people. Really looking forward to the Order In Decline tour next year!

Check out my videos linked in the setlists, if you'd like. :happy:
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: Tour Story: Euro '19

Post by Iam The Ghost »

So good to read these experiences, I really envy how lucky you are to meet the guys so many times. :devious:
(Btw, the hungarian band called 'Grenma' [they have some really solid tracks] was really proud and happy to play before Sum 41, influenced them to play punk-rock in a big time.)
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

As always, I enjoy reading about your tour adventures! Is it a lot of planning beforehand or do you just go with the flow once you arrive? Too bad TNS isn't that well known outside of the small group that follows us on social media and still log into the forums.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:As always, I enjoy reading about your tour adventures! Is it a lot of planning beforehand or do you just go with the flow once you arrive? Too bad TNS isn't that well known outside of the small group that follows us on social media and still log into the forums.
Haha, I just go with the flow. Sometimes it's fun to hang out with other fans before the show, sometimes I prefer walking around the city before going to the venue. A chance to meet the band is always up in the air, sometimes it works out and sometimes doesn't, so I'm not counting on that (though I'm always hoping for it :silly: ). So basically I just try to enjoy my time, whatever feels best at the moment. :silly: