Sound System Setup

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Sound System Setup

Post by Gregorovich »

Okay, so here's the deal.

I've got myself an expensive vinyl player (this) in the hope of setting up a full sound system for next year. However, I need to get myself a speaker system. Now, I was wondering what the best course of action would be - I want to get as good quality a system as possible for under £200. If I get a 2.1 sound system with an in-built amp, will I get good enough sound quality? And if I get a dedicated amp (I'm looking at this), what speakers will I have to get to go with it? I want a subwoofer, but I think maybe some of the more expensive passive speakers might have them built in? I really have no idea. Halp guise!
fuck this signature nonsense
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

I think the route you should go for would be a separate amplifier, and speakers of your choice. Going for an all-in-the-box package, is not a good idea. it'll be cheaper, but they will not last and won't be as powerful. A powered sub is a must. it's not even a question.

My dad got a Pioneer VSX ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-VSX-422 ... 623&sr=1-1 )

with Paradigm 100CT speakers-you can buy each speaker and sub separately. ( http://www.paradigm.com/products/produc ... ema-100-ct ).

it's more of a home theater setup, but if you want to eventually get a 5.1 entertainment system this is a good place to start.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

There is absolutely no point in additional sound channels for Vinyl. 2.1 is the most you could possibly need.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

TheWatchmaker wrote:I think the route you should go for would be a separate amplifier, and speakers of your choice. Going for an all-in-the-box package, is not a good idea. it'll be cheaper, but they will not last and won't be as powerful. A powered sub is a must. it's not even a question.

My dad got a Pioneer VSX ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-VSX-422 ... 623&sr=1-1 )

with Paradigm 100CT speakers-you can buy each speaker and sub separately. ( http://www.paradigm.com/products/produc ... ema-100-ct ).

it's more of a home theater setup, but if you want to eventually get a 5.1 entertainment system this is a good place to start.
Yeah, I'm not looking for a 5.1 system. Just 2 speakers and subwoofer (if neccessary). Are subwoofers necessary for the larger passive speakers?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Re:

Post by Dylan »

of course vinyl is stereo. three other speakers will not play anything. BUT;
TheWatchmaker wrote:but if you want to eventually get a 5.1 entertainment system this is a good place to start.
We've got our Satellite TV, BluRay, Xbox, Wii, and Turntable all plugged into the receiver with video out going to our tv. there are additional inputs for another game console, DVD player, ipod, other analog inputs and more... not to mention it is Airplay compatible.

i was just saying if you want to eventually get a AV receiver for the ultimate entertainment room, this is a good unit. I don't see why you wouldn't want a AV receiver that could do it all, if you've got the cash of course.

EDIT: the sub is nice with a stereo set up. it depends if the speakers can reliably reproduce the low frequencies (under 100hz). if they can, do what you want. i'd still say get a powered sub.

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Re: Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

TheWatchmaker wrote:of course vinyl is stereo. three other speakers will not play anything. BUT;
TheWatchmaker wrote:but if you want to eventually get a 5.1 entertainment system this is a good place to start.
We've got our Satellite TV, BluRay, Xbox, Wii, and Turntable all plugged into the receiver with video out going to our tv. there are additional inputs for another game console, DVD player, ipod, other analog inputs and more... not to mention it is Airplay compatible.

i was just saying if you want to eventually get a AV receiver for the ultimate entertainment room, this is a good unit. I don't see why you wouldn't want a AV receiver that could do it all, if you've got the cash of course.
That's the thing; I don't really have the cash. This is for a student house, so I really don't want any more than a budget 2.1 system. I'm willing to spend up to £200 on an amp + speakers.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

haha okay then DON'T listen to me! :P

Follow me on Twitter!
X^2
Billy Spleen

Re: Sound System Setup

Post by X^2 »

If you have only few hundred dollars to spend DON'T buy a subwoofer. Cheap subwoofers just ruin the music, they may work for movies, but for music it's a no-no. I suggest you try to buy the best speakers you can with that money, maybe second-hand. Also if your room is small you'll do fine with small speakers.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

X^2 wrote:If you have only few hundred dollars to spend DON'T buy a subwoofer. Cheap subwoofers just ruin the music, they may work for movies, but for music it's a no-no. I suggest you try to buy the best speakers you can with that money, maybe second-hand. Also if your room is small you'll do fine with small speakers.
I thought you could get really decent subwoofers for around £40?

Does anybody know what kind of connection passive speakers make with an amp? One of my friends says it's a 3.5mm jack but I'm sure that's not right.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

I thought you could get really decent subwoofers for around £40?

Does anybody know what kind of connection passive speakers make with an amp? One of my friends says it's a 3.5mm jack but I'm sure that's not right.
I personally have an Audio Pro subwoofer which was around 500 € when I bought it several years ago - it was arguably the best available sub for the price range, yet I quite often keep it off when listening to music. Cheap subs lack precision, which makes the music listening quite annoying actually, especially in music with fast bass-lines. For example Punk-rock doesn't really benefit from a cheap subwoofer unless you like to listen to a bass-sound that's just a constant wall of sound.
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Gregorovich wrote: I thought you could get really decent subwoofers for around £40?

From a bit of googling it's a "banana plug" lol, I've always just jammed the bare wire in there...

Unless you're listening to electronica kinda stuff I would just get 2 big speakers to begin with and add a sub if you really want it later. If you get a cheap one it'll probably just make it sound really muddy rather than better, like it'll ruin a normal fast bass guitar sound because the notes will kinda just all join together
Last edited by Tyler. on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

From a bit of googling it's a "banana plug" lol, I've always just jammed the bare wire in there...
Yeah. I use bare wire too. But I can see why someone would use banana plug though. Some speakers and amps are constructed in a way it gets hard to put the wire in...
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Okay, thanks very much for that! I guess my only real remaining question is how do I match up an amp with speakers? I take it that I'm going to need passive, not active. What do I need to look for in terms of connections, wattage and impedance?