The ''Computer'' Thread

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Re: The ''Computer'' Thread

Post by Druska »

Honestly my pc (windows 7) works fine for what i want, why would i spend a shitload of money on a mac if I only use the computer to watch tv shows, do some research for college and chrome ??
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake! wrote:the i3's arent that bad. My sister's asus sports one and it runs stuff ok.
Better an i3 than a 2.1GHz AMD-bomination.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Truedat. AMDs usually run soooo hot. Far too hot for laptops.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Tyler. wrote:What do you use your comp for Boni Boy? It seems way OP for just a gaming rig
When it comes to gaming, there is no such things as an overpowered rig. That being said, I don't use my computer for gaming, I have my PS3 for that. Games wouldn't run to good on my rig anyway. I only have a ATI4350HD GPU. I use my computer for a lot of things. The usual internet, e-mail, media player and I do alot of video encoding, sometimes to picture editing although usually just basic things like brightness/contrast adjustments. I use my computer for almost anything I need to do. I'm always tinkering with the bloody thing. Right now, I'm also using it as a media centre to stream movies to my PS3.
[donate][/donate]
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Jake! wrote:Truedat. AMDs usually run soooo hot. Far too hot for laptops.
That explains a thing or two
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Druska wrote:Honestly my pc (windows 7) works fine for what i want, why would i spend a shitload of money on a mac if I only use the computer to watch tv shows, do some research for college and chrome ??
well, so now ask yourself a question, cause all the three things you use your computer for can be done on Linux too, Linux costs NOTHING and Microsoft costs a lot of money
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

blackhawk1105 wrote:
Jake! wrote:Truedat. AMDs usually run soooo hot. Far too hot for laptops.
That explains a thing or two
Definitely..
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

FuckT41182 wrote:
Druska wrote:Honestly my pc (windows 7) works fine for what i want, why would i spend a shitload of money on a mac if I only use the computer to watch tv shows, do some research for college and chrome ??
well, so now ask yourself a question, cause all the three things you use your computer for can be done on Linux too, Linux costs NOTHING and Microsoft costs a lot of money
The reason I wouldn't recommend linux to people it because it is not Windows. It is not what they are used to, the free price tag might convince some people to jump boats but most people don't like change and would rather use something they are comfortable with. I personally started using linux because it was open source, had nothing to do with price with me since I illegally downloaded Windows anyway. It works better with my hardware although I still use proprietary drivers for my GPU.

Depending on the problem, linux can be helluva lot hard to fix that Windows because linux uses a lot of terminal commands where as with Windows a lot of the common problems can be fixed without the use of the command prompt window. Linux is great I would give it that. But user friendly with non-geek, non-computer intellects? No, not quite but slowly getting there with the use of some distro focusing on the ease of use (Linux Mint anyway?).
[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:
The reason I wouldn't recommend linux to people it because it is not Windows. It is not what they are used to, the free price tag might convince some people to jump boats but most people don't like change and would rather use something they are comfortable with. I personally started using linux because it was open source, had nothing to do with price with me since I illegally downloaded Windows anyway. It works better with my hardware although I still use proprietary drivers for my GPU.

Depending on the problem, linux can be helluva lot hard to fix that Windows because linux uses a lot of terminal commands where as with Windows a lot of the common problems can be fixed without the use of the command prompt window. Linux is great I would give it that. But user friendly with non-geek, non-computer intellects? No, not quite but slowly getting there with the use of some distro focusing on the ease of use (Linux Mint anyway?).
you got a point, but as I mentioned above, if someone like you or me, who can make the Linux work properly, would make everything that is needed, than there is no problem at all ...

my uncle, my cousin(girl, absolutely weak with IT, no experience in anything harder than E Mail) and they both can use Ubuntu, cause I made all the precautions needed for the system to work properly until the end of time...

and I started using Linux because of different reason than money, I wrote it just to make a point that all the things she likes to do can be done for free and legally ...

I am sure that Linux can be used by people with no IT skills, my cousin is a tangible evidence, the only thing I forgot to do when I installed Ubuntu on her PC was working with rar files, but I solved it by sending her a simple line dedicated to terminal command, she just copied it and everything has been okay ever since ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Right, okay. So I've narrowed my computer choice down to two computers. I'm not that well off for cash, but can just about afford both. So here are the specs - any advice in helping me choose would be greatly appreciated:

Acer Aspire 5742G
Price: £492
HD: 640GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M
Processor: Intel Dual Core i3-380M (380M, 3MB Cache, 2.53 GHz)
Battery Life: 2.5 Hours

Acer Aspire 5750G
Price: £549
HD: 500GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Processor: Intel Dual Core i5-2410M (2.3GHz, Intel Sandy Bridge Architecture, 3MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz)
Battery Life: 4.5 Hours
fuck this signature nonsense
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

I would personally go with the i5.
[donate][/donate]
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:I would personally go with the i5.
Yeah same, especially since it's a Sandy Bridge processor which are quite nimble

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Yeah same, especially since it's a Sandy Bridge processor which are quite nimble
Define 'nimble'. And does turbo-boosting work well?
fuck this signature nonsense
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Gregorovich wrote:
HugoDisasters wrote:
Define 'nimble'. And does turbo-boosting work well?
They are built to be very efficient and is much more "smaller" because they are built in 32 nanometers with the older processor called the Nehalem microarchitecture is at 42 nm and less efficient.

From my own experience turbo boosting is doing a good job, I've hard it does remarkably well on laptops as well.
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Well, it's settled. The next problem I have is with Microsoft thinking they can charge £100+ for Office 2010 basic, valid for 1 computer only. I might just pirate it.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

Gregorovich wrote:Well, it's settled. The next problem I have is with Microsoft thinking they can charge £100+ for Office 2010 basic, valid for 1 computer only. I might just pirate it.
Have you tried LibreOffice? It's the open-source and is a fork of OpenOffice when most of the developers jumped ship to LibreOffice after Oracle took of Sun Microsystems. Compatible with Office 2003 & 2007 file formats.
[donate][/donate]
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

If you're a student, MS Office is only £35.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake! wrote:If you're a student, MS Office is only £35.
A university student or just a school/college student? And where can I find this?