Tech Dilema

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Re: Tech Dilema

Post by Dylan »

I've got a Macbook Pro and i've had it for almost a year and it's worked perfectly fine this whole time. i don't really use my computer for much other than internet, movies, music, email right now, but im gonna get pro tools LE soon and it's just a fact pro tools works better on a mac. i also use iMac's at school to run protools and logic pro, and hands down they are way better than the PC's i've ever used. this is just my opinion, but i love the layout and overall aesthetics of Mac OS over anything i've seen of windows 7, vista or XP.

but i can see how money is an issue and wanting to get more "bang for your buck".

also, itunes works absolutely marvelously on any Mac, but that shouldn't be a surprise. :winkwink:
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

2712 wrote:also, itunes works absolutely marvelously on any Mac, but that shouldn't be a surprise. :winkwink:
I dont know if my computer is fucked or if it's just iTunes compatibility with windows. For any other PC users, does iTunes ever not respond when you change the order number of a song in an album (eg. If I change Jessica Kill from Track 5 to track 12, but it just stays in the same place). This happened to me and I had to re-import the entire album.

The thing is with iTunes, is there's not much scope for error. It's like saying MS Word works better on Windows - it's virtually the same.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Gregorovich wrote:
2712 wrote:also, itunes works absolutely marvelously on any Mac, but that shouldn't be a surprise. :winkwink:
I dont know if my computer is fucked or if it's just iTunes compatibility with windows. For any other PC users, does iTunes ever not respond when you change the order number of a song in an album (eg. If I change Jessica Kill from Track 5 to track 12, but it just stays in the same place). This happened to me and I had to re-import the entire album.

The thing is with iTunes, is there's not much scope for error. It's like saying MS Word works better on Windows - it's virtually the same.
Sometimes with itunes with Windows the ID3 tags don't change. I have never really found why but I think it may be down to conflicting programs or Windows explorer settings.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

Sometimes with itunes with Windows the ID3 tags don't change. I have never really found why but I think it may be down to conflicting programs or Windows explorer settings.
Probably down to User Account Control. It's always User Account Control. iTunes is just shit tho. It doesn't work well at all on a mac if your library is over 20gig
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

Probably down to User Account Control. It's always User Account Control. iTunes is just shit tho. It doesn't work well at all on a mac if your library is over 20gig
What sort of database does it use?
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Mine's only like 950 songs. It also sometimes corrupts them on entry (which is REALLY annoying).
fuck this signature nonsense
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

Something proprietary to apple, but makes heavy use of xml.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

That would explain it then. Don't understand why they didn't use sql.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

It's not free. Well, good forms it of arent.

Best thing for huge librarys is sadly windows media player :/ but mssql is fucking solid, even if it is retarded.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

WMP is awesome
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

It's not free. Well, good forms it of arent.

Best thing for huge librarys is sadly windows media player :/ but mssql is fucking solid, even if it is retarded.
I thought SQLite was meant to be good? I think that's what I use for my media but I don't be sure. Haven't been bothered enough to go and check.

This is what I use but I believe the Windows version in in alpha build.

http://banshee.fm/
Tyler. wrote:WMP is awesome
No,
[donate][/donate]
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:
Tyler. wrote:WMP is awesome
I know right!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:This is what I use but I believe the Windows version in in alpha build.

Does this program allow ripping from iDevices? I need a program to extract all my music from my iPhone to get onto my new computer.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Gregorovich wrote:
Boni Boy Blue wrote:This is what I use but I believe the Windows version in in alpha build.

Does this program allow ripping from iDevices? I need a program to extract all my music from my iPhone to get onto my new computer.
It's not even worth trying. It'd be faster just to redownload it all.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake! wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

950 songs from multiple sources? Album artwork too and full info. No, I'd rather just find a program where I can export my library. I've seen a couple lying around.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jake »

Gregorovich wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

950 songs from multiple sources? Album artwork too and full info. No, I'd rather just find a program where I can export my library. I've seen a couple lying around.
You can, But you wont get id3 tags or file names back afaik. iTunes will find 99% of album artwork and info for you anyway, provided you have at least some id3 info or a file name. 950 songs is like what? 10 gig? Nothing too major.

Invest in some NAS for storing music. It's definitely the way to go.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Jake! wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
Jake! wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:

You can, But you wont get id3 tags or file names back afaik. iTunes will find 99% of album artwork and info for you anyway, provided you have at least some id3 info or a file name. 950 songs is like what? 10 gig? Nothing too major.

Invest in some NAS for storing music. It's definitely the way to go.
NAS?

EDIT: On a related note - iOS 5.0
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

I used to use a program called iDump but it hasn't been actively developed on since 2009 so I don't know it will work for your iPhone. It worked for an iPod Nano I had back in the day.

Also, why not just mount the iphone to your computer and go to ~/root/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/. Copy all that music to your hard drive of the new computer. It's what I did with my mates iPhone. Why iTunes hides your music, I have no idea.
[donate][/donate]
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Boni Boy Blue wrote:I used to use a program called iDump but it has been actively developed on since 2009 so I don't know it will work for your iPhone. It worked for an iPod Nano I had back in the day.

Also, why not just mount the iphone to your computer and go to ~/root/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/. Copy all that music to your hard drive of the new computer. It's what I did with my mates iPhone. Why iTunes hides your music, I have no idea.
All my music is in different locations througout my computer. That's why i need to rip from my phone - to re-organise them all so all the files & id3s are in the same place.