TNS website info

Ask anything about the site here. Chances are you'll get an answer.
mikey41
Hooch
First name: michael
Instrument 2: bass

TNS website info

Post by mikey41 »

when im in college i am planning to run an album review website, and i want the format to be whatever this format is. i know nothing about web design or how to run one so i am starting early. i have a few questions and would appreciate it if you guys helped me out!

-What is the layout (or whatever its called) for TNS? i remember some people made a new found glory fansite that was in this format.
-how much does it cost per month to run TNS?

not about the site, but...
-do i need some type of license to post 30 second samples of songs from whomever i please?
and
-What are some good reliable sites that have upcoming album releases? (preferably rock albums)

thanks for the help! if this ever happens tns will be the first to know so in a few years keep your eyes peeled out!
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Re: TNS website info

Post by Nic »

This forum is powered by a thing called PhpBB. The main site however, is all hand-coded and designed by us. It is powered by HTML and PHP script, which are programing languages used by almost every site on the web. Google 'HTML' or 'PHP'. As for the costs, it typically costs $10 USD a year for the domain name (which, in our case is http://www.theresnosolution.com). Then you have hosting fees. This is for the server which holds all your data, files, etc. Depending on what kind of hosting you get, the costs will range $5-$15 USD a month. Hope this helped. If you would like more in-depth information, PM Jake!. He is the go-to man for all that nifty stuff.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Nic fails. And because of this, he missed out CSS, which is what defines how most of the site looks.

and TNS is cosing about $120/year to run. Hence why it's so fuckin' slow!
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

There are plenty of different types of CMS out there have a look, I used to use one called Drupal but my website was more of a burden than a hobby so I got rid of it. Like Jake said, CSS is very important to when it comes to the design of it. If you want to learn some basic stuff about coding this here is a great website for beginners. It deals with HTML, PHP and CSS.

You might also require an SQL server too but that usually comes with a hosting package so just make sure. Like Nic said this forum uses phpBB (which an SQL server is a must), it's not the best but it's Open Source and therefore free of charge to use.
[donate][/donate]
Nic
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Nic

Post by Nic »

Jake! wrote:Nic fails. And because of this, he missed out CSS, which is what defines how most of the site looks.
Holy tits, I forgot about that. Haha.
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

mikey41 wrote: and
-What are some good reliable sites that have upcoming album releases? (preferably rock albums)
universal music group usually has release dates, same with Rolling Stone