Not sure what to do

If you have emotional troubles and they are really getting to you, get it off of your chest and post it here.
Andyrew004
First name: Andrew
Instrument 2: Guitar

Not sure what to do

Post by Andyrew004 »

This isn't really a relationship type problem so I hope I'm putting this in the right section.

So it's always been my dream to sing and play in a Pop punk band, and play the songs that I wrote, and I finally have that. (I sing lead vocals and play guitar).

My drummer's cool, but my bass player...

I really want to have a band, and I don't any other bass players that sing as well as he does, so I sort of want to keep him, but sort of want him out too.

Well my bass player sings backup vocals well, and comes up with creative bass lines, but he can get really annoying after some time and comes up with really shitty song ideas.

He doesn't even really listen to any bands that we like, but he listens to older Punk bands like the clash ect.

He can usually be a pretty okay/nice dude, but he also is sometimes sort of a dick lol.

What's the best thing to do? I really want to have a band more than anything, but sometimes I can't stand the bassist, but there's no other legit bass players around.

[/end rant]
~Andyrew004
shadowred3
First name: jonah
Re: Not sure what to do

Post by shadowred3 »

try to deal with it, what dose your band sound like? like if you had to choose one band tht influanced you the most
Andyrew004

Post by Andyrew004 »

shadowred3 wrote:try to deal with it, what dose your band sound like? like if you had to choose one band tht influanced you the most
Thanks. And it sounds mostly like blink-182 during the "Take off Your Pants and Jacket" time and Sum 41's "All Killer no Filler" days.
~Andyrew004
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I don't know. You'll have to weigh your options. Like, is your desire to have a band more than your desire to kick out your bass player?

How does the rest of the band get along with him? Are you all in the same boat?
Andyrew004

Post by Andyrew004 »

I'm having a hard time making that decision =(.

There's only 3 of us in the band right now, and my drummer is a pretty quiet and patient dude so he doesn't really care so much.

I'm the "lead singer" so does that give me a right to sort of control every thing and sorta put my foot down? I don't know =\
~Andyrew004
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I'm not sure if being the lead singer makes you obligated to be the boss, though if you're the main songwriter and you founded the band, then that's different. For example, Patrick Stump was the lead singer for Fall Out Boy, but Pete Wentz was really the band's leader.

If I was in your position, I'd try and stick it out, though I'd talk it over with the drummer and try to get his opinion. I wouldn't confront the bass player just yet. I'd probably try and tolerate him and if he does something stupid, I'd make some sort of joke about it or just slide in a "Dude, that's kind of a dick move!" Hopefully pointing out things that he does that bother you will help him realize he's being a dick and can change his behavior.
Andyrew004

Post by Andyrew004 »

Jeremy Kill wrote:I'm not sure if being the lead singer makes you obligated to be the boss, though if you're the main songwriter and you founded the band, then that's different. For example, Patrick Stump was the lead singer for Fall Out Boy, but Pete Wentz was really the band's leader.

If I was in your position, I'd try and stick it out, though I'd talk it over with the drummer and try to get his opinion. I wouldn't confront the bass player just yet. I'd probably try and tolerate him and if he does something stupid, I'd make some sort of joke about it or just slide in a "Dude, that's kind of a dick move!" Hopefully pointing out things that he does that bother you will help him realize he's being a dick and can change his behavior.
Ahh I gotcha. I do write all the songs, but I founded the band with the drummer.

But that's actually a really good idea. I think I'll do it subtley like that when he's being a dick. Thanks man.
~Andyrew004
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Who the fuck cares? Get a second guitarist, and fuck the bass. You don't need a fucking bassist to make a band. Bass is the most pointless instrument. In a good amount of cases, you can't even hear the bass when listening to a song on normal speakers.. at least not too clearly.

I know there are a good amount of exceptions, but all I am saying is that not all music has a bass, nor does all music need a bass. Bass is also the most replaceable instrument because you don't need to be good at it to play it. You can get any random kid, shove a bass in his hands, teach him one or two lines, and he'll be able to play something on the instrument (See: Wentz, Pete).

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but it's so true. A song with good guitar parts can make up for any lack of bass.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Kyle...he said they have 3 members ...it's like Blink 182 ...I'll write Mark to leave the band cause bass is needless in the band of three guys...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
billyspleen88
First name: danny

Post by billyspleen88 »

i'd say try to talk to him about it. you dont wanna be in a band with someone you hate. your bandmates are like your family so try to work it out if it doesnt work out just tell him you dont wanna be in the band anymore and kick him out. then you can write a song about him like sum 41 (no brains) and blink 182 (man overboard) did.
Laxman 41
Billy Spleen

Post by Laxman 41 »

A bass is probably one of the most important instruments. In jazz you don't even need a drummer, just a bassist to keep time. Everybody has there differences, he probably has some stuff he doesn't like about you. But if your'e really committed to the band you will keep him.
"I've never told a lie, and that makes me a liar..."
Andyrew004

Post by Andyrew004 »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your input. I think I've figured it all out now for the most part :glad:
~Andyrew004
CertainShadeOfAdam.
First name: nig-uh plz

Post by CertainShadeOfAdam. »

perform murders...

Mr. Generous
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

FuckT41182 wrote:Kyle...he said they have 3 members ...it's like Blink 182 ...I'll write Mark to leave the band cause bass is needless in the band of three guys...
Have you listened to a band called I Set My Friends On Fire? I saw them live. All they had in their band was a guitarist, a drummer, and a vocalist. They had samples of course, but they do not use a bassist anymore because the bassist they used to have in the band a long while ago died.

Litterally... they had a guy shredding on guitar, and a drummer... they had the other guy raping a microphone. Watch music videos... they have just two instruments going on at their shows.

Bass is needless in blink-182. I understand people wouldn't agree because it's a crazy thing to say, but if they added a synthy thing to their songs, or just some kind of other musical effect, they wouldn't have needed a bass at all. I think people overestimate how much bass is even noticed in music.

Blink's sound would be a lot different, but they could have managed is Mark played a normal guitar, or if he played a piano or synths or whatever...

PLUS, one major thing here... we're in a time where you can create musical tracks on a computer, without ANY real instrument... if this "band" wanted to sound good with just two members, they could easily do it by putting in samples live, and just putting together tracks with the members recording things at different times, or using garage band / pro tools / etc to actually put together the tracks.

It's really not that hard to go without a bass. A guitar is probably the one instrument that you'd be hard pressed to have in a rock band... bass is replaceable.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Doctor Babe. wrote:I think people overestimate how much bass is even noticed in music.
Unfortunatly, you've fallen into the same gay mindset as just about every other clueless n00b.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

but ...the reason why I like Sum 41 so much is ...that they still can play instruments and does not have to use some fucking computer ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Memoire
First name: Sven

Post by Memoire »

i agree with doctor babe..i dont like bass :D..but after all a bass belongs to a punkrock band and it can be a very important thing in a band,too.

So back to topic..what does ur drummer think about him?if he doesnt like him,too,kick him.you can find another bass sooner or later.u shouldt use him and pretend that u like him just because hes a good musician.

But if ur band is really as good as u mentioned..accept the fact that hes a moron..besides i like the word "moron" :D

its ur decision..can u show us a song of ur band?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Doctor Babe. wrote:Bass is also the most replaceable instrument because you don't need to be good at it to play it. You can get any random kid, shove a bass in his hands, teach him one or two lines, and he'll be able to play something on the instrument (See: Wentz, Pete).
i disagree 100% with the first part, but i see where you're coming from with the second part. it takes some time to be decent at playing bass, but if you really love it bass can do great things in music. you need just as much knowledge of music to play bass as you do guitar.

including wentz, there are alot of half-assed bass players who are replaceable, including the bands who you listen to, im assuming thats why you feel this way. but you can't replace the bassists in bands like Rush, Guns N Roses, Protest the Hero, Rise Against, Anti-Flag (among many many more), with "any random kid".
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Andyrew004

Post by Andyrew004 »

Memoire wrote:i agree with doctor babe..i dont like bass :D..but after all a bass belongs to a punkrock band and it can be a very important thing in a band,too.

So back to topic..what does ur drummer think about him?if he doesnt like him,too,kick him.you can find another bass sooner or later.u shouldt use him and pretend that u like him just because hes a good musician.

But if ur band is really as good as u mentioned..accept the fact that hes a moron..besides i like the word "moron" :D

its ur decision..can u show us a song of ur band?
Hm this song called "Senioritis" is a pretty good example of how most of my music sounds. (As you can see in the video I failed and forgot to move my footswitch next to my mic stand lol)
http://www.youtube.com/game21band#p/u/3/mb6JDIevXFc

since we're pretty new we don't have much recorded but yeahh.

I've got a lot of mixed feelings on this. He's been cooperating more and more lately, and my drummer says he can deal with him just so we can have a bass player lol. I think my bassist has ADHD as well which isn't very helpful in certain situations lol.

I'm also trying to find another guitarist as well so I can focus more on singing
~Andyrew004