Controversial Opinions

Whatever you want to talk about!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Controversial Opinions

Post by FuckT41182 »

This is a thread that I came into contact with on AP.net, I quite like it and I don't think it has ever been made here, if so, it definitely is not active now.
My first controversial opinion would be this one :

I think that if there is life after death, any form of life, then natural selection applies itself in that realm of reality just as it does on this planet, therefore it doesn't matter if you believe in God or if you are good or bad, but only if you are spiritually strong, that strength being the passage to the next life.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

I can't formulate an argument for or against an opinion which relies upon beliefs which I consider nonsense (ie. life after death, natural selection and spiritualism). Suggesting that it is possible to be 'reborn' (as an entity in the universe or 'beyond' it) goes completely in defiance of almost all philosophical theory on personal identity. If an entity dies, and thus a personality and memory with it, what is it about what is reborn which links the two, so that they can be considered the same 'person'? Both memories and personality are little more than brainwaves - so how can these be carried beyond the body after death? That's why the argument for the existence of a 'soul' just doesn't work. It doesn't make sense. The strongest philosophical theories are always ones which leave out the possibility of there being a deity or some form of afterlife or reincarnation.

So yeah, controversial opinion.
fuck this signature nonsense
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re: Controversial Opinions

Post by Ardi41 »

FuckT41182 wrote:
I think that if there is life after death, any form of life, then natural selection applies itself in that realm of reality just as it does on this planet, therefore it doesn't matter if you believe in God or if you are good or bad, but only if you are spiritually strong, that strength being the passage to the next life.
what makes you think there is ? I mean to believe in something you gotta have something to rely on.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Personally, I agree with you , however, scientists have not yet proven where does consciousness come from. I believe that consciousness is more than just a brain process, although every materialist will always disagree with me and argue that the two are one and the same.

I kind of think that Alzheimers is a total proof of clinical death being the end of your experience of life. Your brain is dying, your memory goes away with it and as we all know, what you can't remember doesn't exist for you. But that's why I used the expression - 'Realm Of Reality', just because this one is the only one we know does't mean it's the only one that exists, although I am half in favor of that idea. On this planet, there are the laws of nature and every living thing has to obey them. The only way we can exist is the way we are.

The universe is vast and we know only a little part of it, we don't know how does it function, we don't know if this universe has a brother or not, basically, we know so little that we are close to knowing nothing at all, scientists agree with this too. Many of discoveries about the universe came into existence by examining that which we already know and assuming that the other questions can be answered based on that knowledge. Sometimes they cannot.

I find Buddha and his character to be an interesting one, maybe that's why I keep an open mind about the existence of something that we can't see nor hear nor touch nor smell nor taste. I've read a lot about him and his views, and I believe he had something there.
Ardi41 wrote:what makes you think there is ? I mean to believe in something you gotta have something to rely on.
This is kind of a funny question, billions of people believe in life after death just because of scripts written on a thousand years old toilet paper, and you want me to base my belief on something plausible ? First of all, it is not a belief that I personally possess, my attitude to religion is agnostic, with a little bit of scepticism, with a little bit of belief. I used the word IF to imply that I am not in any way persuaded by anybody that there is such a thing. But this question is discussed almost every day, so I expressed my views.

But I will try to answer your question. In my life, I try to control my emotions and everything that I experience on the emotional scale. Sometimes I accomplish nothing, sometimes I may be accomplishing something, or deceiving myself. There certainly are things left unexplained in this world, though I believe the reason for this is not having anybody with an answer to that particular question, rather than the question itself. But just in case there's no answer that we can produce using our brains, I keep an open mind .
Last edited by FuckT41182 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

the way I see it, you only live once (YOLO ftw! jk).
I don't believe in the afterlife, you live and die and that's it.
It seems to me that the whole afterlife thing is just a way of saying " don't be afraid there's more once this is over", cos mankind has always been afraid of death.

btw I like your idea of debating about controversial stuff
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

I always feel philosophy is best described through fiction...

Spoiler: show
John didn’t quite remember how he got there. He didn’t even remember what he was doing before he got there – he was just there. No doors, or windows, or secret hatches, yet there he stood. Not even on a floor. No floor, just nothing. No walls either, incidentally. Just empty space, where the walls and door and windows and floor should be, and empty space beyond that. Not a white empty space, like you’re imagining now. Nor a black empty space. A colourless, shadeless empty space. A concept quite hard for the human mind to grasp, seeing as it relies upon the detection of photons of light, interpreted as colour and shade. No pun intended.
There were things, though. Quite a lot of things actually. In his mind, John compared them to pictures or paintings, although want of an easel or wall on which to place them. Just floating around in all the nothing. They displayed various images – some static, some moving, of what seemed to be abstract, depictions of strange, foreign places and objects. But not foreign as per the general usage. Not earthly. Not even universe-ly. It seemed to John as though only one from another universe altogether would ever have any hope of understanding these strange foreign portraits. The closest thing to which John could compare them was the artwork of M. C. Escher, although that was a tenuous comparison at best. A certain number almost seemed to be bearing some form of writing (naturally, nothing which John had ever come across before). Some of the things were moving, some were static, and some were operating in such a way as to defeat John’s entire comprehension. These things made John’s head hurt, so he tried not to look at them.
We always hated contemporary art, resounded a surprisingly-human voice from within one of the portraits. Modernist rubbish, it continued. There are no ends which the artist accomplishes that cannot be achieved by more accessible means. The only ends that the modernist style truly reaches are a complete alienation of the audience from the core ideas of the piece at hand. Modernist literature is like all modern art: purposefully transparent and ambiguous to give those who choose to partake in it the illusion of artistic prowess with actual minimal effort or skill from the artist. Another thing, this one bearing a striking resemblance to John himself (from the humanoid figure and complexion on its face down to its Converse trainers and Jack Wills t-shirt) had emerged from one of the portraits. John – that is to say, the first John, or the one whose narrative we have been following up until this point – had so many questions flitting around his head, begging to be answered, that he momentarily lost the function of speech. Luckily, the second John, or the one whose arrival into this limbo we have just observed, took the liberty of answering these questions for him – or at least as many as he could within the given time.
My name is John, as you might have guessed already. I couldn’t hope to explain to you where I have just come from – nor could you hope to explain the same to me. We both come from different ‘universes’, within the same existence. The fact that I bear such a resemblance to yourself, including my name and language, is entirely coincidental. Well, considered the second John, that’s not entirely true. Existence is perfect in its infiniteness, and thus, if there is an INFINITE amount of existence, it is equally likely – one hundred per cent likely, in fact – that there are also an INFINITE number of Johns, who speak English and each have the same appalling dress sense. The only reason one of these Johns is standing before you now is that you would probably have a much harder time conversing with an entity whose very nature of existence is entirely beyond the comprehension of either of us Johns – and I rather doubt that it would speak English, either. I suppose it also helps that this particular John understands the workings of existence well enough to explain it to another John, which has a considerably lesser comprehension of it. Not that I understand existence in its entirety – the one thing which all our universes do indeed have in common is that no entity within them possesses the potential to truly understand existence. That, and the fact that our universes are not, in themselves, infinite. In time or space. As to where we are right now – I don’t know myself. Honestly, I would tell you if I did. But I haven’t the faintest idea. Sorry.
The second John ended here, allowing the first John time to process this information. However, being a keen physicist and philosopher, this didn’t take him as long to digest as it may take the average human. After a pause, this John spoke. I think, he pondered, I’m starting to understand. We live in our own universes, which are imperfect in themselves, in that they are finite in both space and time.
Correct.
But these universes are infinite in number?
Correct.
And collectively they are known as existence?
Exactly. Existence is infinite in both space and time.
But surely existence can only be as large and as long-lasting as the largest and longest-lasting universe?
Tell me, how big is the biggest of an infinite number of universes? And how long-lasting is the longest-lasting?
Ah.
Indeed.
So some universes grow and die, while others live on for an indefinite amount of time?
The idea of time works independently though all universes. The same with space.
So they coexist infinitely?
Sort of.
Can any two universes be alike?
Alike? Yes. Identical? No. There are an infinity of universes out there, which are identical to yours in every possible way – except that, at one point in its history (around thirty billion years, if I’m not mistaken), a single photon of light moved at an infinitesimal fraction of a degree in a different direction. How many times can one split a degree? An infinite amount. So there are an infinite number of these universes, all almost identical to each other.
I think my head’s starting to hurt, complained the first John.
I wouldn’t worry.
I suppose this means that there isn’t a God, then.
Well, smiled the second John, that depends what you mean by a God. If you mean an entity of true infinite power, then no. The only entity of true infiniteness in existence is existence itself. But anything less than that – say, a gigantic, old, white-robed, white-bearded man with the ability to create planets and life – is more than likely.
It’s one hundred per cent likely.
You’re getting it now.
But in our universe, we can be sure that there is no God.
I wouldn’t say that if I were you. If there are an infinite number of ‘Gods’ in existence, then that means there are also an infinite number of Gods with the ability to transcend the barrier between one universe and another. So it’s entirely possible that, should God not exist in your universe, you have been visited by one.
Inter-universe travel is possible? queried the first John.
Well, we’re here now, aren’t we?
True. Very true.
Just as it is one hundred per cent likely that an infinite number of inter-dimensional Gods exist, explained the second John, it is just as likely that an infinite number of sentient humanoids exist, who are prone to wearing books upon their feet, and whose heads look, smell and taste like sausage rolls.
You have sausage rolls in your universe?
Of course. They’re fantastic.
I understand now. The speed of light is 3x108 m/s in our universe, while Planck’s constant is 6.626x10-34 m2kg/s. But these will be completely different in other universes.
They may not even exist in other universes. Who is to say that photons exist at all in any given universe?
That makes sense. Perfect sense. I actually think I get it. This John started to smile to himself.
Good, then you have learned most of what I hoped to teach you.
Why are you doing this?
There’s nothing wrong with sharing a little wisdom.
But I thought you said that you didn’t know how you got here.
I don’t.
I see, sighed the first John. Just as things finally appeared to be falling into place within his own mind, he envisioned an INFINITY of complexity before him. In that case, he suddenly perked up, I have one final question. What of free will? If everything in the universe is infinite, but no two universes are perfectly alike, are we able to change anything? Or are we all bound to follow the path existence has dictated for us?
The second John seemed very pleased at this question. Let me begin, he began, by referencing a writer, historian and philosopher of my time, a man called Tovstol:

“Can I lift my arm? I lift it, but ask myself: could I have abstained from lifting my arm at the moment that has already passed? To convince myself of this I do not lift it the next moment. But I am not now abstaining from doing so at the first moment when I asked the question. Time has gone by which I could not detain, the arm I then lifted is no longer the same as the arm I now refrain from lifting, nor is the air in which I lifted it the same that now surrounds me. To imagine it as free, it is necessary to imagine it in the present, on the boundary between the past and the future- that is, outside time, which is impossible.”

If he were to lift his arm due to his own choice, or due to the mere fact that it was always going to happen, is one of the greatest questions of existence, which I do not believe we have the potential to answer. But I have my own question – does it matter? One way or the other, we are at least given the illusion of free will and that is what makes the difference. We are not conscious prisoners of existence. Free will is a lie, and so is determinism. And with that, my new friend John, I think it’s time for you to go.
Thank you, is all the first John could say. The pair stood in awkward silence for a moment, expecting something to happen. They both looked away, their eyes chasing the infinity of nothing which continually encircled them, trying to avoid the confusing portraits. After a certain period of time, the first John had decided in his mind that it was not actually time for him to go, and that he had another question for his counterpart. If we both arrived here, he started, without the knowledge of how, or when, or why, then what will happen on our return? Will we forget everything, and start again? Will we be the same people? It’s like death: if you –
And with that, the first John disappeared from existence.

The bit about inter-universe travel is rubbish. I just put that in there for narrative convenience. If inter-universe travel was possible, then as the possibilities of universes are infinite, there would be an infinite number of entities which would travel to our universe and do an infinite number of things. Which is impossible.

Edit: You don't have to read it btw. But I think FuckT will out of morbid curiosity.
Last edited by Boni on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Very long, added a spoiler. Hope you don't mind.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

I will read it, but I have to go out now and then I have an essay to write that is due for tomorrow, I will probably work all night... But I will check it out tomorrow.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

I posted this here awhile ago, I really love this story.. Not saying I agree/disagree with it at all, but it touches on what you guys have been talking about.
Personally I believe no one knows and no one ever will.

story:
You were on your way home when you died.
It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.
And that’s when you met me.
“What… what happened?” You asked. “Where am I?”
“You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words.
“There was a… a truck and it was skidding…”
“Yup,” I said.
“I… I died?”
“Yup. But don’t feel bad about it. Everyone dies,” I said.
You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this the afterlife?”
“More or less,” I said.
“Are you god?” You asked.
“Yup,” I replied. “I’m God.”
“My kids… my wife,” you said.
“What about them?”
“Will they be all right?”
“That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.”
You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn’t look like God. I just looked like some man. Or possibly a woman. Some vague authority figure, maybe. More of a grammar school teacher than the almighty.
“Don’t worry,” I said. “They’ll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn’t have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it’s any consolation, she’ll feel very guilty for feeling relieved.”
“Oh,” you said. “So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?”
“Neither,” I said. “You’ll be reincarnated.”
“Ah,” you said. “So the Hindus were right,”
“All religions are right in their own way,” I said. “Walk with me.”
You followed along as we strode through the void. “Where are we going?”
“Nowhere in particular,” I said. “It’s just nice to walk while we talk.”
“So what’s the point, then?” You asked. “When I get reborn, I’ll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won’t matter.”
“Not so!” I said. “You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don’t remember them right now.”
I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It’s like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a tiny part of yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you’ve gained all the experiences it had.
“You’ve been in a human for the last 48 years, so you haven’t stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there’s no point to doing that between each life.”
“How many times have I been reincarnated, then?”
“Oh lots. Lots and lots. An in to lots of different lives.” I said. “This time around, you’ll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 AD.”
“Wait, what?” You stammered. “You’re sending me back in time?”
“Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from.”
“Where you come from?” You said.
“Oh sure,” I explained “I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you’ll want to know what it’s like there, but honestly you wouldn’t understand.”
“Oh,” you said, a little let down. “But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, I could have interacted with myself at some point.”
“Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own lifespan you don’t even know it’s happening.”
“So what’s the point of it all?”
“Seriously?” I asked. “Seriously? You’re asking me for the meaning of life? Isn’t that a little stereotypical?”
“Well it’s a reasonable question,” you persisted.
I looked you in the eye. “The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature.”
“You mean mankind? You want us to mature?”
“No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature and become a larger and greater intellect.”
“Just me? What about everyone else?”
“There is no one else,” I said. “In this universe, there’s just you and me.”
You stared blankly at me. “But all the people on earth…”
“All you. Different incarnations of you.”
“Wait. I’m everyone!?”
“Now you’re getting it,” I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.
“I’m every human being who ever lived?”
“Or who will ever live, yes.”
“I’m Abraham Lincoln?”
“And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too,” I added.
“I’m Hitler?” You said, appalled.
“And you’re the millions he killed.”
“I’m Jesus?”
“And you’re everyone who followed him.”
You fell silent.
“Every time you victimized someone,” I said, “you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you.”
You thought for a long time.
“Why?” You asked me. “Why do all this?”
“Because someday, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You’re one of my kind. You’re my child.”
“Whoa,” you said, incredulous. “You mean I’m a god?”
“No. Not yet. You’re a fetus. You’re still growing. Once you’ve lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born.”
“So the whole universe,” you said, “it’s just…”
“An egg.” I answered. “Now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.”
And I sent you on your way.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Re:

Post by Gregorovich »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:I posted this here awhile ago, I really love this story.. Not saying I agree/disagree with it at all, but it touches on what you guys have been talking about.
Personally I believe no one knows and no one ever will.

story:
You were on your way home when you died.
It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, but fatal nonetheless. You left behind a wife and two children. It was a painless death. The EMTs tried their best to save you, but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered you were better off, trust me.
And that’s when you met me.
“What… what happened?” You asked. “Where am I?”
“You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words.
“There was a… a truck and it was skidding…”
“Yup,” I said.
“I… I died?”
“Yup. But don’t feel bad about it. Everyone dies,” I said.
You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” You asked. “Is this the afterlife?”
“More or less,” I said.
“Are you god?” You asked.
“Yup,” I replied. “I’m God.”
“My kids… my wife,” you said.
“What about them?”
“Will they be all right?”
“That’s what I like to see,” I said. “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.”
You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn’t look like God. I just looked like some man. Or possibly a woman. Some vague authority figure, maybe. More of a grammar school teacher than the almighty.
“Don’t worry,” I said. “They’ll be fine. Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn’t have time to grow contempt for you. Your wife will cry on the outside, but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it’s any consolation, she’ll feel very guilty for feeling relieved.”
“Oh,” you said. “So what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?”
“Neither,” I said. “You’ll be reincarnated.”
“Ah,” you said. “So the Hindus were right,”
“All religions are right in their own way,” I said. “Walk with me.”
You followed along as we strode through the void. “Where are we going?”
“Nowhere in particular,” I said. “It’s just nice to walk while we talk.”
“So what’s the point, then?” You asked. “When I get reborn, I’ll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So all my experiences and everything I did in this life won’t matter.”
“Not so!” I said. “You have within you all the knowledge and experiences of all your past lives. You just don’t remember them right now.”
I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful, and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain a tiny fraction of what you are. It’s like sticking your finger in a glass of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a tiny part of yourself into the vessel, and when you bring it back out, you’ve gained all the experiences it had.
“You’ve been in a human for the last 48 years, so you haven’t stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there’s no point to doing that between each life.”
“How many times have I been reincarnated, then?”
“Oh lots. Lots and lots. An in to lots of different lives.” I said. “This time around, you’ll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 AD.”
“Wait, what?” You stammered. “You’re sending me back in time?”
“Well, I guess technically. Time, as you know it, only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from.”
“Where you come from?” You said.
“Oh sure,” I explained “I come from somewhere. Somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you’ll want to know what it’s like there, but honestly you wouldn’t understand.”
“Oh,” you said, a little let down. “But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, I could have interacted with myself at some point.”
“Sure. Happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own lifespan you don’t even know it’s happening.”
“So what’s the point of it all?”
“Seriously?” I asked. “Seriously? You’re asking me for the meaning of life? Isn’t that a little stereotypical?”
“Well it’s a reasonable question,” you persisted.
I looked you in the eye. “The meaning of life, the reason I made this whole universe, is for you to mature.”
“You mean mankind? You want us to mature?”
“No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature and become a larger and greater intellect.”
“Just me? What about everyone else?”
“There is no one else,” I said. “In this universe, there’s just you and me.”
You stared blankly at me. “But all the people on earth…”
“All you. Different incarnations of you.”
“Wait. I’m everyone!?”
“Now you’re getting it,” I said, with a congratulatory slap on the back.
“I’m every human being who ever lived?”
“Or who will ever live, yes.”
“I’m Abraham Lincoln?”
“And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too,” I added.
“I’m Hitler?” You said, appalled.
“And you’re the millions he killed.”
“I’m Jesus?”
“And you’re everyone who followed him.”
You fell silent.
“Every time you victimized someone,” I said, “you were victimizing yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment ever experienced by any human was, or will be, experienced by you.”
You thought for a long time.
“Why?” You asked me. “Why do all this?”
“Because someday, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You’re one of my kind. You’re my child.”
“Whoa,” you said, incredulous. “You mean I’m a god?”
“No. Not yet. You’re a fetus. You’re still growing. Once you’ve lived every human life throughout all time, you will have grown enough to be born.”
“So the whole universe,” you said, “it’s just…”
“An egg.” I answered. “Now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.”
And I sent you on your way.
Haha, read the first four words and recognised it :2cool4u:
I don't agree with anything in it at all, but it was a partial inspiration for my own philosophy.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

I don't believe in life after death but I hope I'm wrong, it boggles my mind everytime I think about death, you won't see, hear, feel anything forever. The forever part is what always gets to me, I just can't wrap my head around it.

btw: do we keep on going about one subject till someone comes up with a different topic or how does this work?
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco

Post by Ardi41 »

I have to agree ... I don't believe in all this spiritual crap (can I say crap? don't want to offend anyone) either ... It just doesn't make any sense to me, at all. Allthough it must be very relieving to people who can live with these expectations. I hate the thought that everything I do is worthless. That all of this won't matter anymore in a "few" years.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

I would happily punch a baby in the face for crying.
[donate][/donate]
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Beating up women is much more fun. Just make sure you can dance and there is nothing to worry about.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

RE: the afterlife discussion, i personally don't care what happens because there's no way to know. pretty much every scenario and philosophy is good except for the burning in hell for all eternity one. that would suck.
Last edited by Dylan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

I don't find personal beliefs controversial if they're private, but if they're something like "Jim Jones" and "Peoples Temple" or "Aum Shinrikyo", then yeah of course. But personal belief in reincarnation or afterlife? Not really.

Personally I'm definitely a materialist - I don't have any reason to have faith in non-material planes or afterlife as there is zero evidence for them, To me such theories are as nonsensical as Platos plane of ideas, flat-earth theory, aether being the substance filling space or phlogiston being the cause of fire.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Interesting and relevant: Today I was Christmas shopping on Oxford St and I was approached by a man who looked like a charity worker. I always hear these people out, but I never tend to donate anything without knowing one hundred percent what my money is going towards. Anyway, this guy asked me what I thought about karma. I told him I generally never use the word, as I don't believe in the idea. He then pulled out a copy of the Bhagavad Gita and started explaining the founding principles of it - regeneration of the human body throughout life, and the maintaining of the soul after death. We discussed this concept, among other things, for a while, before he explained that he was a Russian monk, gave me the copy of the Bhagavad Gita, and let me on my way. I don't agree with anything within the book, but it is certainly an interesting read. I find particularly amusing the belief that, as one's soul passes on to another body after death, it will find one most suited to it. There are then pictures of lazy and gluttonous people's souls passing on into the bodies of bears and pigs.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

I'd love to be a bear after I die, sounds fucking awesome.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

After living in Scotland, I would happily burn in hell for all eternity.
[donate][/donate]
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco

Post by Ardi41 »

When I'm in class I sometimes catch myself thinking about burning down all the crosses hanging over the doors in each classroom.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

When I'm in class I sometimes catch myself thinking about burning down all the crosses hanging over the doors in each classroom
They have stuff like that in German schools?