Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

TNS Suggestions

Post by Mitchell »

As some of you may noticed, TNS is due for some maintenance.

We're working out a few things that need to get updated, with the most obvious being our site header. Of course we value all user opinions and would like to hear some of your ideas. You can use this thread to drop your ideas and suggestions for us.

Feel free to share whatever you think would improve this site, we'll try to figure out if it'll work.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

- Abandon phpBB
- update visuals to OID
- Post about threads on social media/integrate social media better with the forums
- Fix all broken links and remove pages that don't exist that are in the menu.
- Don't even bother having pages for bios of the band members if they are not up to date, then leave that for Wikipedia.
- Get a good system for media collection since YouTube is taking shit down all the time we need somewhere it can be safe, for mirror to be posted.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Post by Iam The Ghost »

Give us a button which if we click on, we get free tickets to whatever show we want, VIP meet and greet with the band and a couple of sessions with Deryck to write a new song together.
Thanks.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Post by HugoDisasters »

Oh I forgot an important one,

Notifications when there is a new reply to a thread (Modern browser notifications, not just e-mail spam)

Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Re:

Post by Jake »

HugoDisasters wrote:- Abandon phpBB
This is something I've wrestled with in my mind, but I'd like to remain built upon the same history (users/posts, etc albeit with some pruning). It's a difficult one without wiping the slate clean.
HugoDisasters wrote: - update visuals to OID
Yes. This will happen.
HugoDisasters wrote: - Post about threads on social media/integrate social media better with the forums
- Fix all broken links and remove pages that don't exist that are in the menu.

This is the plan.
HugoDisasters wrote: - Don't even bother having pages for bios of the band members if they are not up to date, then leave that for Wikipedia.

We'll probably keep some content - but yes, the plan is to fix up whats there/not there.
HugoDisasters wrote: - Get a good system for media collection since YouTube is taking shit down all the time we need somewhere it can be safe, for mirror to be posted.
I would love to do this, but I also don't reallllly want to get sued. But yes - this is something I would like to improve about the site. Open to more ideas surrounding this.
HugoDisasters wrote:Oh I forgot an important one,

Notifications when there is a new reply to a thread (Modern browser notifications, not just e-mail spam)
This is something I definitely want to do. Probably look in to actual push notifications too.

I'll get back with more when I have time
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill

Re: Re:

Post by HugoDisasters »

Jake wrote:[multiple quotes...]
This is something I definitely want to do. Probably look in to actual push notifications too.

Awesome, glad to hear its going somewhere
Even if it meant I had to sound like a grumpy muppet

You dont have to wipe everything or make a full 1:1 conversion from phpBB.
A strategy some older forums use is to make the old site read-only and then carry over as much that is sensible to the newer forum software.

Some go balls deep with scraping all the old content and map up old users to ghost accounts and what not. A lot of ways to go about it but yeah not saying its easy at all.

Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Re: Re:

Post by Jake »

HugoDisasters wrote:
Jake wrote:[multiple quotes...]

Awesome, glad to hear its going somewhere
Even if it meant I had to sound like a grumpy muppet

You dont have to wipe everything or make a full 1:1 conversion from phpBB.
A strategy some older forums use is to make the old site read-only and then carry over as much that is sensible to the newer forum software.

Some go balls deep with scraping all the old content and map up old users to ghost accounts and what not. A lot of ways to go about it but yeah not saying its easy at all.
I've toyed with the idea of something like Discourse, but it's not something I'd be able to actively develop/extend or even really support going forward as I've never really done much with Ruby. So I think it's a hard pass for now - but I'm not ruling it out for a future update...
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]