a Guide to Torrents

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

LTS
Underclass Zero
Instrument 1: Guitar

Re: a Guide to Torrents

Post by LTS »

boniboyblue wrote:
LTS wrote:
Shiv wrote:
LTS wrote:I've studied this and it's my understanding that it's not illegal if you just use it for personal use...
its less illegal if you use it for personal use

its more illegal if you sell it lol
It's really not illegal to download movies if you use them for personal use.

It's not Legal, but it's not Illegal.

If that makes any sense.

Criminal copyright infringment (the warning you see in the beginning of movies) implies copying, showing to large audiences, selling, or making illegal copies.
You do relies that by downloading a film is you making an "illegal copy", so you have basically proved my point. If the authorities catch you with them, they will charge you, simple as.

I admit I download shit, but the way I keep of the radar is by not downloading too much in most cases it's the ISP that catches you not the authorities
That's why you get a good ISP.

some companies (cox cable) will shut off your internet if they find stuff on your computer.
Some companies (AT&T) either don't care or don't check. Or don't do anything if they find something.
and that's why i convert any movies i downlaod to ipod format and load em up in itunes and delete the original. they can't do shit then.
One of a Kind of Something
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

LTS wrote:
boniboyblue wrote:
LTS wrote:
Shiv wrote:
LTS wrote:I've studied this and it's my understanding that it's not illegal if you just use it for personal use...

If that makes any sense.

Criminal copyright infringment (the warning you see in the beginning of movies) implies copying, showing to large audiences, selling, or making illegal copies.
You do relies that by downloading a film is you making an "illegal copy", so you have basically proved my point. If the authorities catch you with them, they will charge you, simple as.

I admit I download shit, but the way I keep of the radar is by not downloading too much in most cases it's the ISP that catches you not the authorities

some companies (cox cable) will shut off your internet if they find stuff on your computer.
Some companies (AT&T) either don't care or don't check. Or don't do anything if they find something.
and that's why i convert any movies i downlaod to ipod format and load em up in itunes and delete the original. they can't do shit then.
If your ISP scans your computer for content I think you should sue them, what your saying is called hacking. I dunno how the law works of in America but here unauthorised access into any computer system deemed illegal
[donate][/donate]
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Shiv
PSN ID: Communsim

Post by Shiv »

boniboyblue wrote:
LTS wrote:
boniboyblue wrote:
LTS wrote:
Shiv wrote:

If that makes any sense.

If your ISP scans your computer for content I think you should sue them, what your saying is called hacking. I dunno how the law works of in America but here unauthorised access into any computer system deemed illegal
see now the thing is if they have legitimate evidence that you are hacking, etc. they can lawfully scan ur computer. most isps don't bother, but nonetheless if they really wanted to they could..... :headbanger:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

I'll say this one more time

Unless the authorizes have a court order and show you it first. Unauthorised access into any computer system deemed illegal
[donate][/donate]
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Shiv »

boniboyblue wrote:I'll say this one more time

Unless the authorizes have a court order and show you it first. Unauthorised access into any computer system deemed illegal
for real?

srry my bad :headbanger:
i thought if they had a warrant then they could search ur comp without ur consent

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

Shiv wrote:

for real?

i thought if they had a warrant then they could search ur comp without ur consent
A court order is a warrant, but legally they must show you the warrant first before they can even search your house or whatever the warrant implies.
[donate][/donate]
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Shiv »

boniboyblue wrote:
Shiv wrote:

for real?

A court order is a warrant, but legally they must show you the warrant first before they can even search your house or whatever the warrant implies.
oh yea

tru
but still its not like

"omfg give me ONE second...(smashes hard drive)"

LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

Technically, the ISP's can do whatever the hell they want.

The only law for them is there Terms of Service, and if they think you're breaking it, they can do whatever they want to find out... then shut down your account.
One of a Kind of Something
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

boniboyblue wrote:
Shiv wrote:

for real?

They can scan what you are downloading but only whilst you are downloading it.

Virgin media here in the UK (Yes, they offer 'unlimited broadband' (my 20mb gets capped to 10mb if i download more than 2GB after 4pm and all other speeds have lower limits)) will scan what you are downloading and have a 3 strike policy.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... aders.html
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
The Witness
Ma Poubelle
First name: Nick

Post by The Witness »

strange question i use bittorrent is bittorent and utorrent the same?
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Shiv »

HolesInJeans wrote:strange question i use bittorrent is bittorent and utorrent the same?
they are just two different programs used to download torrents

Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

HolesInJeans wrote:strange question i use bittorrent is bittorent and utorrent the same?
uTorrent is owned by BitTorrent
[donate][/donate]
The Witness
Ma Poubelle
First name: Nick

Post by The Witness »

alright thanks