a Guide to Torrents

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

LTS
Underclass Zero
Instrument 1: Guitar

a Guide to Torrents

Post by LTS »

So i've seen alot of people out there who are still using limewire. Well, there's no excuse for that, so i'm here to help:

Torrents are much safer than using limewire or kazaa, faster, and much more convenient. with Limewire, to download every sum 41 song, you would have to have a list and search and search; but with torrents; just search "sum 41 discography" and youre a couple clicks away from all of them.

In 2 years of using limewire; i managed to collect up to 24 GB of music. I also downloaded a crapload of misnamed, fake, and/or virus files. Then in half that time using torrents; i've downloaded 100 GB of music.

1. Download a torrent program (i use utorrent; which can be found at http://www.utorrent.com/)

2. Open the correct port (port info can be found in utorrent in the "Speed Guide" section.. info on how to open ports can be found at http://www.portforward.com/english/appl ... rindex.htm

3. Download a torrent file (From sites like Isohunt.com or Demonoid.com (Demonoid requires an invite code; which i would be happy to provide for you upon a PM request))

4. on the "Open With" part, and select your torrent program. (check the box "Do this automatically from now on" to speed up the process in the future)

6. Click OK

7. The torrent pops up in your torrent program; select the files from it you want to download (default is all), then click OK

8. The torrent is now downloading.

9. for faster download,
(if using utorrent), right click on the file, go to bandwith allocation, set it to high. Then go to the files section and change the priority from normal to High
One of a Kind of Something
Madjid

Re: a Guide to Torrents

Post by Madjid »

LTS wrote:
2. Open the correct port (port info can be found in utorrent in the "Speed Guide" section.. info on how to open ports can be found at http://www.portforward.com/english/appl ... rindex.htm
Thanks a lot Luke, i've been downloading from the wrong port since i first used µtorrent.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... nwomen.jpg[/imgwidth]

OWNED
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i use mininova to find my torrents, would you advise me to continue, or tell me to use one you mentioned?
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Nice, I remember looking on Demonoid and finding your Sum 41 collection torrent luke, it was HUGE!
[donate][/donate]
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

NoReason27 wrote:i use mininova to find my torrents, would you advise me to continue, or tell me to use one you mentioned?
I've only used Utorrent; i think it really doesn't matter; utorrent is smaller in size, but functions just the same..
boniboyblue wrote:Nice, I remember looking on Demonoid and finding your Sum 41 collection torrent luke, it was HUGE!
That's what she said! :devious:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

LTS wrote:
NoReason27 wrote:i use mininova to find my torrents, would you advise me to continue, or tell me to use one you mentioned?
I've only used Utorrent; i think it really doesn't matter; utorrent is smaller in size, but functions just the same..
lol, mininova.org is a torrent site. i use utorrent to download them, :devious: are you sure you should be posting a "guide to torrents"? :wink:
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

NoReason27 wrote:
LTS wrote:
lol, mininova.org is a torrent site. i use utorrent to download them, :devious: are you sure you should be posting a "guide to torrents"? :wink:
lmao. i completely mis-read what you stated.

Isohunt searches like 10 different torrent sites; so i think it's the best. but i personally love the speed of torrents on demonoid. there's one site out there that indexes like 20 something torrent sites; it's good for finding stuff you can't find anywhere else.. i can't remember what it is though..
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

NoReason27 wrote:
LTS wrote:
uTorrent is a bittorrent tracker program, which is not illegal, what you download is illegal (In certain countires). uTorrent can be used to distribute non-illegal things too, like camera photos, eletronic user guides,

So a guide to setting up uTorrent is harmless, a guide to illegally download pirated software I would understand you asking, hope that cleared that up.

Your friendly ICT
Boni =]
[donate][/donate]
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

dude i downlaoded itunes but it doesn't work it says the folder 'itunes' cannot be found or created,and is required.The default location for this folder is inside the music folder
I HATE MYSELF AND I WANNA DIE ...
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Shiv
PSN ID: Communsim

Post by Shiv »

lol at the spam

but in all seriousness, make fucking sure you don't seed alot
luke, put that in the first post!

i seeded an entire halo 2 disc, and optimum online fucked me :suicide:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

Shiv wrote:lol at the spam

You don't seed games. downloading video games is considered illegal.. because it involves modifying the game and breaking the EULA. However, downloading movies is NOT illegal..
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Thanks for this post, but I didn't know people were still using limewire...
Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

LTS wrote:
Shiv wrote:lol at the spam

You don't seed games. downloading video games is considered illegal.. because it involves modifying the game and breaking the EULA. However, downloading movies is NOT illegal..
Actually both are illegal, the reason the torrent sites get away with it is because of the fact that the actual contend is not hosted on there server.

Example. You don't download "Knocked Up" you download a files [torrent] that is linked to the internet and interweens you to a so called Peer to Peer network protocol where your actually downloading the contend from other people.

Plus think where you see the start of a movie in the cinema , if you download films and TV shows then you are breaking the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988. Call me a liar but I just did about it in college the other week
[donate][/donate]
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

I've studied this and it's my understanding that it's not illegal if you just use it for personal use...
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Shiv »

LTS wrote:I've studied this and it's my understanding that it's not illegal if you just use it for personal use...
its less illegal if you use it for personal use

its more illegal if you sell it lol

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Getting things for free that you normally pay for are usually illegal. But that's just me.
LTS
Underclass Zero

Post by LTS »

Shiv wrote:
LTS wrote:I've studied this and it's my understanding that it's not illegal if you just use it for personal use...

It's really not illegal to download movies if you use them for personal use.

It's not Legal, but it's not Illegal.

If that makes any sense.

Criminal copyright infringment (the warning you see in the beginning of movies) implies copying, showing to large audiences, selling, or making illegal copies.
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Shiv »

LTS wrote:
Shiv wrote:

If that makes any sense.

Criminal copyright infringment (the warning you see in the beginning of movies) implies copying, showing to large audiences, selling, or making illegal copies.
yea thats basically what i said

Boni
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Boni »

LTS wrote:
Shiv wrote:

If that makes any sense.

You do relies that by downloading a film is you making an "illegal copy", so you have basically proved my point. If the authorities catch you with them, they will charge you, simple as.

I admit I download shit, but the way I keep of the radar is by not downloading too much in most cases it's the ISP that catches you not the authorities
[donate][/donate]