Anyone Here eighty?

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

Jeremy Kill
Anyone Here eighty?

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Question

Can I say something? I hope you read please this. I don't care if you answer, I just want (preferrably Deryck) to get another fans point of view, speaking for many.

In regards to Underclass Hero, it is without a doubt a great album. Coming from a longtime fan, however, I don't think it's your best work to date. But please keep reading, and I hope I can explain my point. You guys have stated many times that this album is playing the music you've always wanted to play, which is completely understandable and I totally respect that. And now that Dave is gone, I'm sure it was easier to get your ideas out, and make this album a success for you guys personally. But what I'm getting at is that the "metal" aspect that Dave brought to the table, without a doubt, gave Sum 41 it's signature sound. That is what has defined your style for so many fans. This obviously is something that couldn't be helped with the departure of Dave, but all I'm saying is that I hope you guys really don't forget the sound you had. The defining edge that no other pop punk band had. As bands mature and grow, everyone realises that sounds will change, but hopefully it wasn't your style. That's why Chuck was so special, even though Sum 41 doesn't seem to see it, the album is a favorite among every fan I've ever talked to, because it had such a different sound, but still catchy and very very pleasing to the ear. Anyway, Underclass Hero is indeed great, but to many fans, it just sounds like alot of it has been done before. I hope this isn't offending, it's just a perspective speaking for many fans. I hope you've read this far, and if you have, thank you. Looking forward to the next album already. Thanks.
asked by eighty on Nov 22, 2007 3:55pm

Answer

Thats cool. We are totally fine with our fans having their own opinions of our albums. You should. Thanks for being a fan for so many years.
answered by Cone on Nov 25, 2007 2:58pm
I'm actually so happy that something like this reached a member of the band. Basically what's said in there is pretty much my feelings about Sum 41 for the past few months. I was just wondering if anyone here is "eighty." Furthermore, if anyone feels the same.

So yeah, to give this thread a meaning, does anyone agree/disagree?
mattyw_rules
Billy Spleen

Post by mattyw_rules »

that is exactly what i have been thinking
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Like, don't get me wrong... I believe the most effort was put into Underclass Hero and it is the Sum's lyrical best (going by how many times the words 'fake' and 'blame' are used in each song) but the sound is something that has been made before.

I'm not saying that the band was better with Dave either. But whatever influence he held on the band back then was what kept Sum 41 different from the other pop-punk bands.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

I tend to agree, aside from the "Chuck being a favourite with every fan" and "speaking for many fans"...I think those are both lies to try and get a point across. Maybe not lies, but assumptions.

I absolutely agree about their signature style and all that, though. 100%

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Our under construction, soon to be website
Janet
Pedo

Post by Janet »

yeah, i read it from Q&A too, i agree

It's good that Cone read it, i think Stevo wouldn't, he answeres to short questions most of the time.
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:I tend to agree, aside from the "Chuck being a favourite with every fan" and "speaking for many fans"...I think those are both lies to try and get a point across. Maybe not lies, but assumptions.

geez everything you say in a thread is basically exactly what i was about to type...
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
HilgaMan
Chuck
First name: Ilkka
AKA: TheSexyHilgaMonster
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by HilgaMan »

Hello everybody I'm new here. :)

IMO, Underclass Hero is the best album for Sum 41. It just pleasures my ear. (I dont know if i can say that but...) And I dont think that every fan likes Chuck the most. All my friends that are fans of Sum, think that UH is definitely the best one. (They havent been listening for other Pop-Punk bands tho, and naturally cant say if its unoriginal or anything) I like the piano playing on UH, which is not been heard in the former albums. I just love the whole image of Underclass Hero, and thats why I dont miss Dave so much. Dont get me wrong hes awsum guitarist and everything and I love the former albums too, just not as much as UH
Hentaimans N00B! Mess with me and before you know it, you end up in a coffin. Jealous?
Sumfan is my n00b.
hem is my grand-n00b.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

Rick. wrote:
Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:I tend to agree, aside from the "Chuck being a favourite with every fan" and "speaking for many fans"...I think those are both lies to try and get a point across. Maybe not lies, but assumptions.

geez everything you say in a thread is basically exactly what i was about to type...
Sorry? haha

GutRock Concert Series - The concert series that raises funds and donates 100% of profits to Inflammatory Bowel Disease research.

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Rick
Jessica Kill

Post by Rick »

Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:
Rick. wrote:

Sorry? haha
haha it saves me time!
http://searchwithsum41.prodege.com/?cmd ... &rb=143979
go there and sign up and win cool shit.
Asho_DirtyPoo
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Asho_DirtyPoo »

Rick. wrote:
Asho_DirtyPoo wrote:
Sorry? haha
haha it saves me time!
Then...you're welcome! haha

GutRock Myspace
GutRock Facebook group.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

I really agree with what that guy wrote in the Q&A and i'm glad someone in the band at least got the message.
Petronius

Post by Petronius »

Yes, I agree again ;-) Sum 41 is different after Dave left and I don't think they're better... I agree with eighty...
CIRCUITzach
Underclass Hero
First name: Zachary

Post by CIRCUITzach »

chuck was amazing, so is uh
Petronius

Post by Petronius »

zachy311 wrote:chuck was amazing, so is uh
But it's not only about Chuck...
Brownmetal
Ma Poubelle
First name: Jeffrey

Post by Brownmetal »

Thats why I listened to Sum 41 in the first place...They had their own style, different from every pop-punk band, and they're the only pop-punk band i listen to....otherwise all my music is metal. :D

I hope they do some more heavy stuff, with those cool riffs and stuff.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

i really feel guilty calling the sums pop punk =/

punk rock, melodic hardcore, alternative rock and punk metal (at least for Chuck) will fit more :D
ChapStick
Bunkface

Post by ChapStick »

I agree with eightly and i was a bit dissapointed at Cones reply when i read that the other day.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, clearly, the Sums have proven to be much more than a "pop-punk" band. I believe part of the motive behind the Infected album was to prove that the Sums weren't just another Blink-182.
cool kids
Ma Poubelle

Post by cool kids »

yeah i do miss the cool riffs they had. and i was disappointed with cone's answer. but i wasn't expecting him to justify it either lol
July 5 2003 Sum 41 show
Petronius

Post by Petronius »

Maybe Cone is not competent enough to answer :lol: Meybe he was afraid of Deryck :mrgreen: