Message from Deryck Whibley (May 16, 2014)

Check here for all of the latest Sum 41 (related) news!

Moderator: News Posters

Forum rules
While we welcome the re-posting of news items, we ask that all original items are credited & linked back to us.
carr

Re:

Post by carr »

samueeL wrote:carr:
I think the thing is that people on this forum are too old to care about anyone's personal life. We dig Sum 41's music and that's about it, we don't really dig into their personal lives. You have some good points but also some bullshit. It's been common topic since 2011 here that he seems to drink a lot when it comes to touring and recording. It's been like that since they started out. I'd say 90% of people here are too old to think drinking is somehow cool. It's drinking and that's that. In most cases there hasn't been idolizing, it's been most of criticizing and people saying based on what we see as fans that he seems to drink too much. I don't know why you use some individual posts as your proof when the bigger picture is completely another thing.

We don't really know Deryck personally and we haven't been sitting there at his home with him drinking, so we don't know what goes behind those doors. I though the probably has some parties and drinks then, no idea that it was daily thing. And to be honest it's not really even my business what he does, I'm interested in his job mostly, he can have his personal life for himself and closed ones.

Steve leaving makes a lot of sense family wise. Having young kid and touring for months? Don't you think that makes sense? Of course now we can speculate that might have something to do with Deryck. Also the fact that other band members been together during break and have pics in twitter but Deryck isn't appearing obviously says that there's some kind of problem between them and it might have been the drinking indeed.

I wish Deryck the best. Don't take that one drink. Drink vitamin water and mountain dew instead! It must be hard not to drink after spending the last 15 years touring and drunk but there's good motivation to do that.
You consider 23 old?

It's been common here, yes, that is why people pretending that it wasn't is so mindnumbing. From 2009 on it was obvious that he was a full blown alcoholic. Some people complained about it but is general direction was always received so enthusiastically. From 2009 on he got lost in his own hype and he became so annoyingly predictable.

His private life has been well covered on here, he is no accountant. He doesn't leave work and change personality, his image and stage persona were intertwined.

Maybe I just see more than others, but he has been constantly drunk at every public appearance in the past few years. He didn't even do promo anymore. He was the lead singer and let Stevo do promo duty.

Of course Stevo's family played a factor in his decision to leave but so did D's situation and there have been people who witnessed situations out there and talked about it. But the general opinion on here was not to mention it, that tours were left because of a bad back, Stevo left for his family and apparently paparazzi pictures were photoshopped.

That is some pretty hefty denial, by the way, to assume that a picture taken when he was in a really bad state leaving up to near-fatal organ failure was photoshopped to make him look bad.

I wouldn't advise Vitamin Water and Mountain Dew to anyone but especially not with kidney failure. Deryck can also say goodbye to bananas.

I didn't expect him to live to 40 but Duff McKagan seems to be doing well.
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Re: Re:

Post by samueeL »

carr wrote: You consider 23 old?
That's not what I said and you sure like twisting words in your posts so I'm not gonna even bother answering anything. Just meant we are not teenage girls who are obsessed with everything to do with bands we like. I don't look at paparazzi pictures, I listen to the music and read interviews.

Good for you for knowing everything about him and what he does at home 'cause obviously most of us missed it.
carr

Re: Re:

Post by carr »

samueeL wrote:
carr wrote: You consider 23 old?
That's not what I said and you sure like twisting words in your posts so I'm not gonna even bother answering anything. Just meant we are not teenage girls who are obsessed with everything to do with bands we like. I don't look at paparazzi pictures, I listen to the music and read interviews.

Good for you for knowing everything about him and what he does at home 'cause obviously most of us missed it.
That was a joke but I find your gendered answer disturbing.

I understand. Nobody looks at paparazzi pictures that are all over the internet once in his entire career but when they do they are photoshopped.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Re:

Post by Ardi41 »

Ardi41 wrote:Thought this might be interesting for some people on here, someone was talking shit on dave's wall and he reacted accordingly. Don't know what he said though cause he deleted his comment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

Thought this might be interesting for some people on here, someone was talking shit on dave's wall and he reacted accordingly. Don't know what he said though cause he deleted his comment.
Dave always seems like a nice person idk why.
And man.. that david brent cracks me up.
OwenGriffith
First name: Owen
Post by OwenGriffith »

I hope the crowd screams and freaks out when Deryck returns on stage sober.
ChrisC1997
First name: Chris
Instrument 2: Vocals

Re: Message from Deryck Whibley (May 16, 2014)

Post by ChrisC1997 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... d-him.html

Deryck's out of hospital. Pictures and a video included
dirk
Bunkface
First name: dirk

Post by dirk »

Wow, heavy..

He looks horribele.

This is definetly more than alcohol.

Cocaine, crystal meth, ghb?
carr

Post by carr »

ChrisC1997 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... d-him.html

Deryck's out of hospital. Pictures and a video included
I'm probably in the minority here, all the comments are about his horrific condition, but I actually think he looks a lot better. He is already up and walking around.

I don't know how much that means though. I've been reading a lot about his condition and it's hard to tell. He might fully recover, like others before him, or he never will since once your organs start to shut down the damage is done.

You can also clearly see in the pictures and video that he has ascites so I assume he is still in hospital and they are going for a walk, or he comes in because they need to drain the fluid.
ChrisC1997
First name: Chris
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by ChrisC1997 »

I assuming he needs someone with him because of meds and what not and to make sure nothing happens to him on his road to recovery.

I think he looks a bit better, his face is less bloated then it's been recently, just a bit pale is all. I'm also assuming the big stomach he's got going on is from surgery or something like that.
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Re:

Post by TomiT14 »

I was just about to post that. Good read.
carr

Post by carr »

ChrisC1997 wrote: I'm also assuming the big stomach he's got going on is from surgery or something like that.
https://www.google.de/search?q=ascites& ... 66&bih=615

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/med ... s-ascites/

Ascites is defined as the accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity. It is a common clinical finding, with various extraperitoneal and peritoneal causes , but it most often results from liver cirrhosis. The development of ascites in a cirrhotic patient generally heralds deterioration in clinical status and portends a poor prognosis.

Diaz' blog also confirms that he was doing cocaine in 2010.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

carr wrote:Diaz' blog also confirms that he was doing cocaine in 2010.
He? It says there was cocaine, but it doesn't "confirm" any particular person doing it. It could've been anyone in the band or crew.
"The first Europe trip was a blur of Jack Daniel’s and vodka, shitty European cocaine, and non-stop partying. The party animal in me loved it but it had already started to take a toll on my body after several months."
No, I'm not denying Deryck's alcoholism or poor condition at the time. I'm just saying, get your facts straight.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

carr wrote:I don't think that is a good usage of a sample population to base a comparison on.
How can you base anything on that? Slovakia is a poor country, therefore the amount alcohol that is consumed cannot be derived from any official research. How the fuck do they know how much alcohol does my grandfather make on his own after gathering fruits needed for its making? Most of the alcohol consumed in Slovakia is self-made, so nobody really knows how much alcohol people drink here. We like to drink home-made alcohol, it doesn't make you sick and you don't have to pay for it. Which means that your ''statistics'' are way off.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re:

Post by SumGeek »

Thanks for sharing. As stated, good read for sure!
carr

Post by carr »

FuckT41182 wrote:
carr wrote:I don't think that is a good usage of a sample population to base a comparison on.
How can you base anything on that? Slovakia is a poor country, therefore the amount alcohol that is consumed cannot be derived from any official research.
I sent you a private message. I don't think everybody is interested in reading about the alcohol related mortality rate of Slovakia.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

I think Deryck's life has been a choreographed mess since around 2009. I could tell by how elusive/poor at communicating he was that his drinking habits were probably going on at home, too. All the excuses for cancelled tours like Deryck getting jumped, Steve in a car crash, Deryck's back all seemed so convenient for someone who clearly had a serious addiction and wasn't too bothered with PR etc. Not sure if I believe any of those stories, but that isn't what matters now. I'm confident Steve left because Deryck was so fucked up but am sure he gained the clarity and perspective to make that decision due to his new home life.

What's important now is that Deryck focuses on recovering and gaining some real fulfillment and happiness again. I'm not sure we'll hear Sum 41 ever again, but if we do I'll be first in line to buy the new recordings. Whibley is a great songwriting talent and could really harness this effectively with a clear mind. I'm happy he has people around him who seem willing to help him out in his moment of need.

Get well D,

Fergal
Jeremy Kill
Re:

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Thanks for sharing. Always nice to read the perspective of someone from the inside.
carr

Re:

Post by carr »

fergal41 wrote:I think Deryck's life has been a choreographed mess since around 2009. I could tell by how elusive/poor at communicating he was that his drinking habits were probably going on at home, too. All the excuses for cancelled tours like Deryck getting jumped, Steve in a car crash, Deryck's back all seemed so convenient for someone who clearly had a serious addiction and wasn't too bothered with PR etc. Not sure if I believe any of those stories, but that isn't what matters now. I'm confident Steve left because Deryck was so fucked up but am sure he gained the clarity and perspective to make that decision due to his new home life.

What's important now is that Deryck focuses on recovering and gaining some real fulfillment and happiness again. I'm not sure we'll hear Sum 41 ever again, but if we do I'll be first in line to buy the new recordings. Whibley is a great songwriting talent and could really harness this effectively with a clear mind. I'm happy he has people around him who seem willing to help him out in his moment of need.

Get well D,

Fergal
Completely agree. I don't think anyone on here either raised the question why Deryck relegated promo duty mostly to the other band members. The majority of interviews in recent times had been done by the other band members alone. Not that drummers aren't important and it's the band as a whole but if the frontman and lead singer is the least frequently seen face during promo that is weird.

Even if he did, it didn't work out anymore. Deryck was turning from a functioning alcoholic into an obvious mess and didn't pull his weight anymore. There are lots people's personal Deryck stories in the comments sections. One guy talks about meeting Deryck while he did a promo outing with a kid who had won 1k worth in CDs at Best Buy and a day with the band. Deryck was obviously drunk and had dried vomit on his shirt.

I always understood Stevo leaving the band as a warning shot to Deryck. "I'm your best friend. You need to stop this and I won't sit by and condone it any longer. Get your shit together." (Which is why I always thought and now more than ever that Stevo will rejoin the band when Deryck gets better) I think that comes also through in that one part in Diaz' blog in which he describes a night when everybody else refused to keep drinking with Deryck.