We need a discussion.

Whatever you want to talk about!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

We need a discussion.

Post by Gregorovich »

Thought of posting this in the UCM section but whatever, this concerns everybody.

GUYS, WHAT THE HELL???

There is absolutely no chat on TNS at the moment. Like, nothing at all. The most eventful thing which has happened in the past couple of months was some guy bitching about the BIME video. Now I dunno why this is; maybe the activity of the Sums has a direct correlation with activity on here, or maybe it's something else. I dunno, but so many of the members which used to post all the time are like 'Well, what's the point any more?' and we've been losing more and more people since the beginning of 2011. We had a proper community going on here - not some bullshit brony community like you get everywhere else on the internet. Like a genuine community made out of (mostly) genuine people. You're not gonna find any other community like this on the webs; not without some serious detective work. Especially on any other band fansites. But the thing about TNS is that we aren't even all Sum 41 fans. I mean Kyle posts loads on here even though he doesn't like the band (or does a bit; I've lost track). As do so many other people. We used to have forum awards and stuff, we've got a gigantic fan-compiled media section full of everything you could ever want from the band, our Sums threads contain pretty much every tweet, shout or sneeze the band has ever released, we've got members from pretty much all five corners of the globe, from Canadians to Fins to Russians and even a couple of Japanese, we've got a pr0n section dedicated to more committed members, we've hosted competitions for the band via fansite connect (thank you Heather), we've been in constant contact with the band, asking them questions, providing feedback and even doing things for them like the Thank You Matt Whibley card, we even tried to start up our own Sum 41 wiki after the official one was taken over by spammers, we've made collaborative covers, music videos and so so SO much more. We even found out recently that Deryck browses the forums to find out exactly what we (the band's core fanbase, the people THEY ARE MAKING MUSIC FOR) think. But, as I said before, it's not all just about the band. Yeah, the Sums may be the root of TNS, but you could come on here not caring a rat's ass about Sum 41 (as many people do) and still contribute to the community we have, or used to have. Tell me, where else on the internet can you find something like that? It's fucking magical, guys. But it's graying a little. And going a bit yellow round the edges.
As I said, I don't know. Just my two pence. Community projects and/or competitions seem to get at least the sum-fan part of TNS a little more active. Maybe we should organise something like the SBM collab video, but bigger and involving everybody. Seems like a good way to get back some of the members we've lost along the way. Seriously guys, I miss you. Even if I didn't really know you. Or even if you were a venomous cunt. I still miss you. For the people who do still browse this forum regularly, I want your opinions.

No tl;dr.
fuck this signature nonsense
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Re: We need a discussion.

Post by HugoDisasters »

I agree.
Was i that guy who were bitching about the BIME video?
IF so, then i might also be a venomous cunt.

But something tells me, if the band is less active, this forum will be too.
And then people just end up discussing random boring shit that isn't even relevant most of the times...
Last edited by HugoDisasters on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

I've been a member of this site since 2007, I'm one of the few old schoolers that still posts. I remember the time when a user called Zan would post something like aids being caused by flowers or some shit like that, another guy called bizzy picking up fights in some weird spanish dialect which I still cannot understand, sumfan being an asshole, kyle being an asshole then turning to an ok user, bobbyjames' hilarious signature( seriously his signature was a dude dress in some kind of bear costume riding a police bike), phily being a really active admin, bass cone, asho, jeremy's videos, v and his awesomeness, budgie, nic... so many memories
But the tns family changes... it's the circle of life Simba, I mean greg.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I come on here every day, I read posts, but if there's nothing good to comment on I'm not gonna bother...real talk son! :razz:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

it definitely correlates to how active the band is, its a proven fact. As for what can we do about it; nothing. when Sum 41 starts making a new album, the place will be swimming again. When i joined here, i was 15 and Sum 41 was my favourite band. Now, i'd be hard pressed to put them in my top 5. Honestly, i think as long as TNS is still here, i'll still visit.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Raku
Ma Poubelle
First name: Scott
PSN ID: MySummerJob
Instrument 1: Vocals
Last.fm Username: MySummerJob
Twitter: MySummerJob

Post by Raku »

TheWatchmaker wrote:it definitely correlates to how active the band is, its a proven fact. As for what can we do about it; nothing. when Sum 41 starts making a new album, the place will be swimming again.
This is pretty much the reason.

All sites dedicated to one band/company have this exact problem.

Three examples: I go to 182Online, and that site was very active before Neighborhoods released. It also tends to pick up during a huge tour, but now it is barely active. I lurk on TheAvAMovement, and they don't have that much activity either (once again picking up for tours, and albums). The Rock Band forums have their daily dosage of members because of DLC, but had a surge due to the recent release of Rock Band Blitz.

I'm sure things will pick up again once Sum 41 announces new music is being worked on.
Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

To be honest. I don't come on this site for news and stuff anymore. Just to have a laugh and stuff.
[donate][/donate]
withchappedlips
First name: Kyle
AKA: Official Brand New Fanboy
360 Gamer Tag: TeachMeHow2Kyle
PSN ID: iSeeKyle
Instrument 1: Microphone
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Synth
Last.fm Username: KyleFTLx
Twitter: withchappedlips

Post by withchappedlips »

Well, I mean, this website has kind of been gradually regressing in activity since '08 or so. This website really does have a direct correlation in activity to the band's activity. When the band comes out with a new record, this website gains new members and generally posts more. The end of every album cycle is a bit rough on here, especially before there's any talk of a new album...

Hopefully the video for Blood In My Eyes comes out, and this website does gain a new member or two, and some other guys come back here.

In reality, though, I've been on enough forums to see that every single one really has a peak timeframe. This website has already peaked. It probably will never gain the popularity it had a couple of years ago. Unless, of course, we found a way to directly affiliate our website with the band, maybe become the band's official forum website, linked from their own personal page... who knows what it'd take.

But yeah, I know what you're talking about. Just be glad that Nic and Jake love this place enough to continue to come back here and they aren't going to just shut it down or anything... we do still have a community, it's just not what it used to be.

FINALLY, I'd like to address comments about me personally. I'm not a huge Sum 41 fan, but I used to jam out to their albums all the time. I have a soft spot for them, even if I don't think they're all that great. I can't stand the way Deryck writes lyrics, but I still find myself wanting to tweet them once in a while. I think they wrote some really good songs on Screaming Bloody Murder, but I also think it wasn't as focused as it could have been, and I think it dragged on too far. I thought there were some really big hits, and some really big misses.
AND, I know I used to be awful on here. I have grown up a bit, we all have. I'm not 15 anymore. I know a lot more about music, a lot more about myself. I don't go out of my way to be rude anymore, even if I make some mean comments (calling that guy an idiot the other day...). I just post what's on my mind, and I try to put different perspective on things. I'm not an asshole or anything.
And I know I said I needed space,

but I know I can't be comfortable in my own skin.

So when I say I'm scared to be alone, you know I mean it,

I'm just not ready to leave my room.

[donate][/donate]
Susanne
Goon

Post by Susanne »

I've been a bit of an "on and off" member ever since I joined, so I don't know if anyone even considers me a part of this place (probably not :s) but I'd like to be a part of it. There aren't really any other good forums out there (or at least I haven't found any), which makes this place even more interesting. I think it would be nice if there was more discussion here, even if it was just something pointless or had nothing to do with Sum 41.
Anneliesx
Bunkface
First name: Annelies

Post by Anneliesx »

Well there might still be some creepers like me who just come here for news about Sum 41 and don't really post but really since there are barely any discussions on here they probably left after the release of SBM. Lately I only come here for funny treads not really expecting much news from Sum 41.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Trainwreck wrote:
AND, I know I used to be awful on here. I have grown up a bit, we all have. I'm not 15 anymore. I know a lot more about music, a lot more about myself. I don't go out of my way to be rude anymore, even if I make some mean comments (calling that guy an idiot the other day...). I just post what's on my mind, and I try to put different perspective on things. I'm not an asshole or anything.
Yeah I know , that's why I said that, I wasn't attacking you or anything.
I guess we all have grown up somehow, I mean I was 15 when I joined I'm 20 now, if I'm not mistaken I was a High school junior back then, now I'm a college junior, kinda ironic
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Lately when I've been logging in here, I've been thinking the same thing as I look at the recent topics/posts. A lot of it is in the random threads like "TNS Toilet" that isn't anything related to the Sums. I mean, here and there we share things (new findings even) in the Sum 41 discussion or we all write in the BIME thread when there's talk/updates on the long awaited video, but besides that, I've noticed the same thing you have. I see you mentioned forum awards. Now, I know I wasn't a TNS member when these went on, and it could be influencing why I''m saying this but I think it'd be cool to bring that back. Honestly, this is the only forum I'm active on these days and I love TNS because it's the best Sum 41 forum around, and love nothing more than to discuss anything and everything about my favourite band, but as everyone said, TNS is most active when the band is. I remember checking here 24/7 during SBM release week.

No matter how inactive this place gets sometimes, I still check in. I appreciate the random rants about the band. I love reading everyones opinions no matter good, bad, or how often the same topics been discussed.
Last edited by SumGeek on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

Double post. (Had some error with the forum.)
Last edited by SumGeek on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Well, I've been here for a long time, and I really think TNS is a very good community, even when there aren't a lot of news. I mean, I think it's normal that TNS is "dead" sometimes, when the band isn't active.

But that's what's great with this community. I love coming here, because I like most of the people here, and it feels like we're a big family. I remember when SBM was about to launch, I remember that the forum was really crowded with new members and all, and I believe that's just normal !

I remember how TNS was when I joined, it was a little bit different, but I guess things change. I'm really glad to be there, even if there's less talking than before.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

My opinion? You have very low standards for forum being dead.

Most of you didn't know this place back in 2008-09, when it took days, sometimes a week without a single post posted on the forums. The band had finished touring, there were no plans for anything in sight, so obviously it affected the activity here. Today, we still have new posts almost daily. This place isn't dead by a longshot.

But, whenever there have been low times, there have been high times aswell. New releases, tours, news, interviews, every activity by the band brings some action to the forums here. And with a new album, we got so many new members, along with short comebacks from the great oldies. So I'm not worried at all, there will be action again when the band gets active again.

Also, it's less than a month since they finished touring, and you're already complaining about a lack of activity? I'd wait for few months before calling the squads.
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

I just come on here to post shit, since this place almost just about sucks.
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

SickofEveryone wrote:I just come on here to post shit, since this place almost just about sucks.
Oh? I thought you were just here to steal content.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
SickofEveryone
Chuck

Post by SickofEveryone »

! wrote:
SickofEveryone wrote:I just come on here to post shit, since this place almost just about sucks.
Oh? I thought you were just here to steal content.
Steal what? There's nothing here.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

There's nothing here and this place sucks? hmm....
SickofEveryone
Chuck

Post by SickofEveryone »

Why do you think it sucks? Because of members like you asshole.