The Gaslight Anthem

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Jeremy Kill
Re: Gaslight Anthem

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Every time I walk into HMV to pick up some albums they're always playing American Slang. It's like my theme song or something in there!
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

It's always about the, ahem, Birds.

Ok, so Absolute Punk found me out, I was keeping this a secret just doing the back room legwork getting everything ready, well, why wait... I remember I used to have to set myself on fire to get somebody to find out about my band, either that or play with Bruce Springsteen! (wink) so I'm pumped people care enough to find out before I even told anybody outside my little circle. So thanks for caring about what I'm up to, I appreciate that a lot.

Anyway, so here's the deal... the "night time music" is myself and Mr. Ian Perkins, and what we're doing is writing songs and making demos at the very moment. We hope to put out a full length record sometime this year, before it gets cold again, I don't know with whom, or when exactly it will come out. But the point is, it's coming out. We're calling ourselves The Horrible Crowes.
The name comes from a poem called the Twa Corbies, which means, "two crows." Check it out,
it's a dark commentary on life. A knight dies, his woman runs off on him, and two crows sit by discussing how to devour his remains... pretty gross. Pretty accurate about how we struggle all our lives for gain and greed, etc, etc and in the end, to quote Tom Waits, "we're all gonna be just dirt in the ground," while the spirit moves on and can't take a bit of the material with it.
Yet I've found we all do this, and mainly in relationships, we end up the devourer or the devoured. That's what we're singing about, it's the darker side of soul music, it's slow, it slithers, and it's raw. At the same time, the melodies and pianos are a juxtaposition to the topic material because it's eerily soothing. I'm really proud of what's been coming out and we'll see how it goes, but it's in the works and it's heading for an actual record.
Now how's this going to work with Gaslight, well it's easy, see, every time I write a creepy Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Mark Laneghan type song, I get an idea for a ripper which goes straight to Gaslight. So we're writing for both now, but Gaslight isn't planning on recording until the fall, for a 2012 release. Now I can't sit still so I'm doing this for fun, nothing more. We might do a few shows with the Crowes, maybe select cities in the US, Can, and Europe/UK, but not major touring like Gaslight does. This is my "for me" record, Gaslight is my baby, no mistake.
I always said I never would do a "solo" record so that's why I found a partner in crime in Ian. So it's not going to be the acoustic Brian Fallon road show. There's organs, pianos, even (gasp) strings!!! There's drums, everything. So don't expect a folk record. Here's a good description, if Tom Waits, the National, the Afghan Whigs, Bon Iver, and Nick Cave made a band with Percy Sledge that'd be called The Horrible Crowes.

You can find us on Facebook, and we have a blog that will eek out little bits as we progress and serve as a news point, so all breaking news with come from The Horrible Crowes blog.
Now for you cynics, it's spelled "Crowes" because Ian's English, and that's fun to me because I'm American and think everything English people do or say is amazing, you do to, admit it. So put that in your pipe and smoke to the filter.

We'll put some music up closer to when we figure out when we're recording. Because you internet whiz's are amazing at stealing. I'm truly impressed, but hyper afraid of you, so let's just say we'll put out some demos when we're ready to be hacked to death.

And yes, I have the Gaslight Anthem's blessing because they know I love them more than Ian.
I just said that because it's fun to see Ian's face when reads this. (Hi Ian.)

So let's have some fun and put out some great music this year while we get ready to write the best Gaslight Anthem record yet!

We'll see ya out there on the road!

Thanks everybody,
Brian
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yes! I'm excited for this! Looks like two of my favorite artists (Sum 41 and Brian Fallon) are going for a darker approach to their music this year. It's 2011, the year of the dark music I guess, haha. Loving it.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I can't wait to hear the music that comes from this, sounds very promising from the off! hopefully he brings it over to the UK for a show or 2 as well, will have to see this live.

then a new Gaslight record for 2012. I love this band so fuckin much!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

I love how detailed his little blog thing is! Where did you find it?
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

http://cassettesinthemailbox.blogspot.com/

it's Brian's own blog. also, check out http://www.thehorriblecrowes.blogspot.com/ though not much has been put on there yet!

http://thegaslightanthem.bigforumpro.com/forum is a good little forum for Gaslight, some cool people on there.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

that is some serious shit ! thanks for letting me be closer to this amazing band :winkwink:
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

Gaslight Anthem have been announced for Download :happy:
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

in a perfect world, they will be playing the same day as SOAD so I'd only need to go for one day. but from what I've been reading, they're not on the same day.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Instrument 1: Guitar
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Daniel you're one lucky bastard, I wish they come to barcelona some day
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

let me know if they do play in Barcelona, I'll come over and I cant stay with you. you can take me to a Baraca game as well.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Druska »

Bobby Skumfuk James wrote:let me know if they do play in Barcelona, I'll come over and I cant stay with you. you can take me to a Baraca game as well.
that would be sweet
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

looks like Brian Fallon will be doing the Revival Tour this year with Chuck Ragan, Dave House & John K. Samson. this will be amazing. I have to go!
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

me ang Gamees are going to see them live in Prague,IN JUNE ! Headliners are Blink 182,then 30 Seconds to Mars(not really a big fan though) and then Gaslight Anthem ! that'll great for sure
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

FuckT41182 wrote:me ang Gamees are going to see them live in Prague,IN JUNE ! Headliners are Blink 182,then 30 Seconds to Mars(not really a big fan though) and then Gaslight Anthem ! that'll great for sure
That's awesome! It's times like these I wish I lived in Europe. All these bands I like seem to be playing shows there at the same time.
Druska
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Druska »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:me ang Gamees are going to see them live in Prague,IN JUNE ! Headliners are Blink 182,then 30 Seconds to Mars(not really a big fan though) and then Gaslight Anthem ! that'll great for sure
That's awesome! It's times like these I wish I lived in Europe. All these bands I like seem to be playing shows there at the same time.
hey i live in europe, nevermind sometimes i forgot that i live in northen africa
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

Europe is amazing for festivals in the summer, you have to come over one year!
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

Bobby 'The Rapist' James wrote:Europe is amazing for festivals in the summer, you have to come over one year!
He should do a tns eurotrip.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

YES. but I'm coming along for the whole journey.
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

I've started listening to them just because they'll be on that festival with Blink 182, didn't know them before, and they are amazing! Glad I found them.