The Beginners Guide to Rush

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

The Beginners Guide to Rush

Post by Dylan »

I’ve been wanting to share with you guys the awesomeness that is Rush for quite some time. They have easily overtaken Sum 41 as my favourite band for quite some time, and i hope you’ll see why. I have decided to divide up my posts, like a blog, into 6 “eras” of the band and if there is interest, I will continue posting. So, for now we start with the Early Days.

Now considered to be one of the greatest Rock bands to ever exist (partly because of their impressive longevity, and also seen as three of the greatest musicians to ever play their respective instruments), Rush was formed around the year 1968 by two high school friends Geddy Lee (bass), and Alex Lifeson (guitar). They bonded over their love of hard, heavy music such as The Yardbirds, Cream, The Who and Led Zeppelin. Over the next few years, there would be some line up changes, but by 1974 they had there first steady line up which consisted of Lee, Lifeson and drummer John Rutsey. Their first album came out that year and contained rock and roll hits like “In the Mood”, as well as the hard rocking jam “Working Man”.

Record companies in Canada didn’t pay any real interest in the band, but a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio happened to play Working Man as a “bathroom break song”. The phones lit up, and people loved the song. Cleveland was a working man’s town at the time and back then, and people felt the song was speaking about them. The band was signed to a record deal soon after.

During touring, some tension built up between Lee, Lifeson and Rutsey. John was more into straight forward rock like Bad Comapny, whereas Alex and Geddy wanted to explore more complex areas of music like Genesis or Yes. This is however, not the reason John left the band; he was a diabetic, and was not taking care of himself on tour. The band and their management thought it was best for John’s health to leave.

Then came Neil Peart. Heavily influenced by John Bonham, and Keith Moon as well as Yes and Genesis, the three bonded instantly. He also took over the lyric writings for the next album as Geddy didn’t like to, and figured Neil was “a smart guy”. They released their sophomore album Fly by Night in 1975. It included the radio hit “Fly by Night”, as well as prog rock influenced “Anthem”, and mini-epic “By-tor and the Snow Dog”. Containing odd-time signatures and thematic lyrics, the band would divulge more into Prog rock on their next album Caress of Steel (also in 1975).

Thought to be the bands break-through album, Caress of Steel was a critical and commercial flop. Hard rocker “Bastille Day”, was over shadowed by the 12 minute fantasy inspired “The Necromancer” and the dis-jointed side-long (20 minute) epic “The Fountain of Lamneth”. The ensuing tour was joked as “the down the tubes tour” among the crew members. There was pressure from the label for the band to produce a commercially acceptable straight forward rock album next, but the band had other plans. They figured that if this was going to be their last album, they’d go in and do it their way...

Songs from this era:
Spoiler: show
In the Mood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij0w6LdwtBE
Working Man http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59mDlBSt7o
Fly By Night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=galLWedj4lA
Anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF7U8F2a ... re=related
By-tor and the Snowdog http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UU62UcP_BA
Bastille Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azc_FNZXaRw
The Necromancer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHB684B ... re=related
The Fountain of Lamneth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mC7j-fxqfs
Next time: 2112 and the entry into Progressive Rock.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Re: The Beginners Guide to Rush

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

cool man. I love Rush. saw them live in 2010. Was my first actual rock show. Geddy Lee is phenomenal, by far the most talented bassist in rock. and also- new Rush album MAy 29th! :winkwink:

edit: but i just realized that your copying "Beyond the Lighted Stage" almost word for word. :ohshiz:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

cladam41 wrote:cool man. I love Rush. saw them live in 2010. Was my first actual rock show. Geddy Lee is phenomenal, by far the most talented bassist in rock. and also- new Rush album MAy 29th! :winkwink:

edit: but i just realized that your copying "Beyond the Lighted Stage" almost word for word. :ohshiz:
dude thats awesome. by far, the best possible "first" show to see. i seen them last June on the second leg of that same tour. fucking great. as for the new album, im still taking that as rumours but i hope it comes out as soon as then. another rumour suggests that a new single will be released on March 30th, so fingers crossed for that.

also, i hardly think im copying the documentary, im just restating their history. it's been repeated so many times, and i've read all about it, so these words are mine.

also, for anyone who is reading this: Rush has been active in releasing albums from 1974 to today, their 20th Studio album "Clockwork Angels" is poised for a late spring 2012 release. if you don't like some songs that i present in each post, but still want to hear more, don't worry. Throughout their nearly 40 year career, i can assure you that theres something for everyone. :winkwink:

Follow me on Twitter!
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

me and my friends like to tap out YYZ on the desk when we're bored.
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

2712 wrote:
cladam41 wrote:cool man. I love Rush. saw them live in 2010. Was my first actual rock show. Geddy Lee is phenomenal, by far the most talented bassist in rock. and also- new Rush album MAy 29th! :winkwink:

dude thats awesome. by far, the best possible "first" show to see. i seen them last June on the second leg of that same tour. fucking great. as for the new album, im still taking that as rumours but i hope it comes out as soon as then. another rumour suggests that a new single will be released on March 30th, so fingers crossed for that.

also, i hardly think im copying the documentary, im just restating their history. it's been repeated so many times, and i've read all about it, so these words are mine.

also, for anyone who is reading this: Rush has been active in releasing albums from 1974 to today, their 20th Studio album "Clockwork Angels" is poised for a late spring 2012 release. if you don't like some songs that i present in each post, but still want to hear more, don't worry. Throughout their nearly 40 year career, i can assure you that theres something for everyone. :winkwink:
Rumors? Hmm...thats weird. I heard the release date on the radio so i thought it was true. But yea- it was anamazing show. Im so impressed with how far the band has come and how theyre still going. 30 years!! Holy crap. Thats alot of rocket sauce my friend.........thats ALOT of rocket sauce. They are all GODS of their instruments. I think alex lifeson is the most underrated guitarist , like....ever. so heres to the holy trinity! :2cool4u:
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

I actually started to listen to them just a few weeks ago, but I got into them pretty fast ... Real talent and originality, there was so many bands worth listening to in the old times, now it's too hard to find a few worthy bands among all the shitty faggots
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

I enjoy them as well, but never really got into them enough to listen to whole albums and all that. One of those bands I like their songs whenever I hear them somewhere, but don't listen to them otherwise.

And FuckT try and manage to not rubbish the modern music industry in all your posts, it's pretty tiresome.
Last edited by Tyler. on Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
X^2
Billy Spleen

Post by X^2 »

I guess they're cool.. I'm a prog-rock fan, but i've never really liked Rush though. =/ Geddy Lee and his vocals irritate me..
SickofEveryone
Chuck
First name: Al
Instrument 2: Drums and Harmonica
Instrument 3: Bass and Piano

Post by SickofEveryone »

X^2 wrote:I guess they're cool.. I'm a prog-rock fan, but i've never really liked Rush though. =/ Geddy Lee and his vocals irritate me..
Same^
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Wow guys, I honestly didn't think that there'd be this much interest. It makes me all fuzzy inside, lol. I definitely agree with Geddys vocals, it took me awhile to get into them because of that as well. But then I listened to bands that had higher pitched vocals (Axl Rose, Robert Plant) and decided that Geddy wasn't as bad as them. But in this era, Rush indulged into more instrumental pieces which are pretty cool. i'd recommend you guys listen to La Villa Strangiato and this live video of Xanadu that i think is fucking badass.

Anyways, on to part two; 2112 and Prog. And as a side note, these posts are going to become less about history info and more like album reviews.

Having (critically) failed on their previous attempt at a side-long conceptual song on Caress of Steel, the last thing someone would expect is for the band to do another. But that's exactly what they did. Caring for only what they wanted to do with their music, Rush proceeded with 2112, whose title track was a science fiction themed 20 minute song. The song itself tells the story of a man who finds a guitar in a future dystopian society where a group of Temple Priests rule over everything. There is no artistic expression, and the people have no concept of individuality. Needless to say, 2112 is exactly what the record company didn't want.

The anger of the band defying against the record company is inherit in the second movement of 2112. The second side of the album was filled with regular length songs such as Passage to Bangkok and the Twilight Zone. Though critically the album fell on confused ears and garnered mixed reviews, fans loved it. Rush was selling out the largest venues they've ever played. The record label gave up and figured whatever the band did was for the better. 2112 bought their freedom.

And it bought them more instruments. And that's what 1977's A Farewell to Kings was; an indulgence in broader instrumentation and divulgence into more progressive styles. Though synthesizers and additional instruments where used on 2112 and Tears (mellotron), classical guitars and additional percussion were added as well. AFTK produced the rock radio staple Closer to the Heart as well as two extended length conceptual pieces Xanadu and Cygnus-X1.

1978's Hemispheres was only four tracks, but the title track was another side long epic, what would be the bands last of its kind. The middle two tracks The Trees and Circumstances were more radio friendly tracks, though still including odd time signatures and atypical arrangements. The album was rounded out by a nine and a half minute instrumental La Villa Strangiato.

Geddy Lee would later tell of how the process of recording the vocals didn't go as planned -vocally, Lee is singing in his highest register to date. They decided to condense the writing of songs on their next album to have a more focused delivery and to have more substance without being long and indulgent. The band took a few months off to spend time with family and recorded 1980's Permanent Waves closer to home.

Best songs from this era:
2112: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEgZNqa8jE
A Passage to Bangkok: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35uzmOw1EfY
The Twilight Zone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0tOQmKx7w
Tears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI0w7X2Swl4
A Farewell to Kings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bq-L4-6gsg
Closer to the Heart (Live from studio 2004): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRPtg0kmJU
Xanadu (Live): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTD1QW3SM60
Cygnus X-1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328
Hemispheres: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZXGjoQTzw
The Trees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHEcIbh ... re=related
Circumstances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOgc8CgWUU
La Villa Strangiato: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNilsLf6 ... re=related
Next time: Living in the Limelight
Gutter Dreams wrote:me and my friends like to tap out YYZ on the desk when we're bored.
\m/(>.<)\m/
Last edited by Dylan on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter!
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

2112 is a masterpiece. I get shivers almost every time.
"ATTENTION ALL PLANETS OF THE SOLAR FEDERATION"
"WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL"
"WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL"
"WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL"............. :2cool4u:
dommo41
First name: Dominic

Post by dommo41 »

Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer <3
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

dommo41 wrote:Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer <3
poser.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

cladam41 wrote:
poser.
Whoa whoa dude. Those two are absolutely perfect songs, why is he a poser? Tom Sawyer maybe the bands best known song, but it fucking kicks ass. And Red Barchetta is my favorite song to play on bass, not to mention its a perfect driving song.

Follow me on Twitter!
dommo41
First name: Dominic

Post by dommo41 »

cladam41 wrote:
poser.
Red barchetta wasn't even released as a single - my dad was listening to Moving pictures and that was the song I liked best
and everyone knows Tom Sawyer
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

2712 wrote:
Gutter Dreams wrote:me and my friends like to tap out YYZ on the desk when we're bored.
\m/(>.<)\m/
you should've seen them when they found the triangle. it was a party then.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Dylan »

Part 3: Living in the Limelight

1980's Permanent Waves is my personal favorite album. All six tracks are 100% perfect in my opinion. You may know the major radio hits The Spirit of Radio and Freewill (live video, because you just have to see the solo section. all three are playing fucking crazy), the former being my all time favorite song. Jacobs Ladder is a seven minute conceptual piece with only three verses and is one of two longer songs on the album. The album also produced one of the few "love" songs the band has recorded, Entre Nous. Natural Science is the last song on the album is nine minutes long and contains separate musical themes that are very well pieced together -the best the band has crafted so far.

As if Permanent Waves couldn't be any better, they followed that up with 1981's Moving Pictures. It is hailed as the bands best album and on their 2010-2011 Time Machine tour, it was performed in it entirety. It includes the bands best known songs -side one includes rock radio classic Tom Sawyer, high energy Red Barchetta, instrumental YYZ, and autobiographical rock radio hit Limelight. Side two includes The Camera Eye, which is the bands last extended length song, deep cut Witch Hunt, and the reggae and new wave influenced Vital Signs. Seven tracks, seven amazing songs.

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures introduced even more synthesizers to the bands audio spectrum. Something that would be even more prevalent in 1982's Signals. Subdivisions opens the album with Geddy Lee playing a 7/4 synth riff, foreshadowing the synth-heavy direction soon to come. Subdivisions also includes some of Neil Peart's most intricate drumming, especially during the outro, which is why I've included a live video of this song.

Signals marked the real beginning of synth driven songs, meaning Alex Lifeson had to come up with more interesting ways to use the guitar. Songs like The Analog Kid were synth driven, while Digital Man was slightly influenced by reggae. Containing guest musician Ben Mink on electric violin, Losing It is a song the band has never played live, but is one of the most beautiful songs they've written. Signals was also their first album to not contain a song over seven minutes in length.

On subsequent releases, the band would divulge even more into synthesizers, proving just like with 2112, they were not going to take the easy way out, after finding a winning formula so-to-speak.

"Best" Songs from this era
The Spirit of Radio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ84JkYDa3U
Freewill (Live): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61QdtUlESak
Jacobs Ladder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09-oSVY ... re=related
Entre Nous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AatUO5n7QE8
Natural Science: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7W0Nm8i ... re=related
Tom Sawyer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA
Red Barchetta (live): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o56zK-jcwM
YYZ (live): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUGXb_-o ... re=related
Limelight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKpn0esJ73w
The Camera Eye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LmIOg33oPo
Witch Hunt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BniO017oeTM
Vital Signs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chHppsy59AE
Subdivisions (Live): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uq1M9Y6ZLk
The Analog Kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aFDW2Sc ... re=related
Digital Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fOjsIxinDk
Losing It: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abL2_LXr ... re=related

Next time: The Synths have assumed control.
-----------

i hope you guys are still interested, theres gonna be two more "parts" before i get to their modern-day era. i hope i can quickly get through them before their new album comes out. if you guys like heavy music, their new songs are just for you.

Follow me on Twitter!