Linkin Park

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Re: Linkin Park ('LIVING THINGS' COMING 26/6/12)

Post by Tyler. »

Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:Man it's really hard not to download this haha. Good to see positive reviews from most on all the forums I go on, can't wait till next Friday.
What do you mean "Next Friday" It comes out the Tuesday after the this one. On the 26th. At least in the USA it does...
A bunch of countries get it 4 days earlier than the US, happens with a lot of album releases :D
Last edited by Tyler. on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

Tyler. wrote:
Sum41Ant27 wrote:
Tyler. wrote:Man it's really hard not to download this haha. Good to see positive reviews from most on all the forums I go on, can't wait till next Friday.
What do you mean "Next Friday" It comes out the Tuesday after the this one. On the 26th. At least in the USA it does...
A bunch of countries get it 4 days earlier than the US, happens with a lot of album releases :D
They should send out the digital release to everyone that bought the album from their site on the same day then!!! 4 extra days I have to wait. :sweater:
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

So im listening to this album, wondering where the fuck is the guitar? 5th song and i think i hear it in "I'll Be Gone". so far this album sucks. its the epitome of lazy, i don't care if its all electronic (lies, i do) but make each song different! this is a far cry from the Linkin Park i used to love... at least mike is raping again.

"Castle of Glass" so far is the only song i actually like. maybe it's because it has a bouncy drumbeat instead of the ACDC, four-on-the-floor beat the previous songs all had. in addition, you can actually hear a real snare drum not white noise garbage all the other songs had.

"Victimized" rocks. Mike's rap sounds like something off Metorea.

Maybe i spoke too soon, the second half of this album isn't half bad. the first 5 tracks we boring uninspired electro-pop bullshit.

"Roads Untravelled" sounds like something off Minutes to Midnight except, y'know, better.

"Skin to Bone" is a throwaway track, it doesn't grab you, but its better than the first half of the album... something i should mention, if this album was transformed into 8-bit video game music, it'd be pretty cool... since they're already half way there.

"Until it Breaks" very hip hop, i don't like it. too much electronics. what made LP interesting ten years ago is that they would make this type of music with real instruments with less electronics. interesting little bridge with Brad singing, highlight of the song, unless you like Mike raping over a stock ultrabeat drum poop... i mean "loop".

"Tinfoil" the electronic drums only work well in instrumentals... Lockjaw was the prime example of this, electronic drums should not become the focus of actual songs. Tinfoil however, is far too short and really seems like it should be one track with Powerless. it doesn't do enough to stand on it's own.

"Powerless" -things LP can do successfully; downtempo, actual instrument based power ballads. not sure if this edges out Iridescent, but it's close. decent close to the album.

Once you get through the shitty first half, it becomes a decent album with some substance. however, the songs are far too short. just when you think they're going somewhere, BAM! it ends. it's a decent offering from LP, and i suspect i'll be downloading a few of the tracks, but it's far from their best.

6/10
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

Post by Gregorovich »

TheWatchmaker wrote:So im listening to this album, wondering where the fuck is the guitar? 5th song and i think i hear it in "I'll Be Gone". so far this album sucks. its the epitome of lazy, i don't care if its all electronic (lies, i do) but make each song different! this is a far cry from the Linkin Park i used to love... at least mike is raping again.

"Castle of Glass" so far is the only song i actually like. maybe it's because it has a bouncy drumbeat instead of the ACDC, four-on-the-floor beat the previous songs all had. in addition, you can actually hear a real snare drum not white noise garbage all the other songs had.

"Victimized" rocks. Mike's rap sounds like something off Metorea.

Maybe i spoke too soon, the second half of this album isn't half bad. the first 5 tracks we boring uninspired electro-pop bullshit.

"Roads Untravelled" sounds like something off Minutes to Midnight except, y'know, better.

"Skin to Bone" is a throwaway track, it doesn't grab you, but its better than the first half of the album... something i should mention, if this album was transformed into 8-bit video game music, it'd be pretty cool... since they're already half way there.

"Until it Breaks" very hip hop, i don't like it. too much electronics. what made LP interesting ten years ago is that they would make this type of music with real instruments with less electronics. interesting little bridge with Brad singing, highlight of the song, unless you like Mike raping over a stock ultrabeat drum poop... i mean "loop".

"Tinfoil" the electronic drums only work well in instrumentals... Lockjaw was the prime example of this, electronic drums should not become the focus of actual songs. Tinfoil however, is far too short and really seems like it should be one track with Powerless. it doesn't do enough to stand on it's own.

"Powerless" -things LP can do successfully; downtempo, actual instrument based power ballads. not sure if this edges out Iridescent, but it's close. decent close to the album.

Once you get through the shitty first half, it becomes a decent album with some substance. however, the songs are far too short. just when you think they're going somewhere, BAM! it ends. it's a decent offering from LP, and i suspect i'll be downloading a few of the tracks, but it's far from their best.

6/10
I really couldn't disagree more with of what you said about the first half. While I do agree about Tinfoil, I can easily hear the guitar in every track which features it - I'll Be Gone is an entirely guitar-driven song, while Lost in the Echo, In My Remains and Burn it Down feature prominent guitar work. Conversely, I feel like Until It Breaks didn't even deserve the 'praise' you gave it - it was possibly the worst album track I've heard from LP. I agree about the ballads - Castle of Glass, Roads Untravelled and Powerless were really great tracks, and CoG and RU in particular prove that adding something brand new to your sound (electro-folk? I dunno what to call it) isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall, I think that, due to Skin to Bone and Until it Breaks being some of LP's worst tracks, in contrast to the rest of the album, the first half was far stronger, even though Powerless and RU were great. I don't know, have you got a decent pair of cans/speakers? Because I think you might need to upgrade if you can't hear the guitar in the first half. While the synth guitars and synth drums do annoy me, the real instruments ARE there, just toned down a little for some reason. Maybe check out Acelp12 on Youtube - he fiddled around with the tracks on Burn it Down and brought out the guitar more, while toning down the synths and it sounds quite good. I hope he does it with the rest of the album.
fuck this signature nonsense
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

Acelp12 it's great!
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

Gregorovich wrote: I really couldn't disagree more with of what you said about the first half. While I do agree about Tinfoil, I can easily hear the guitar in every track which features it - I'll Be Gone is an entirely guitar-driven song, while Lost in the Echo, In My Remains and Burn it Down feature prominent guitar work. Conversely, I feel like Until It Breaks didn't even deserve the 'praise' you gave it - it was possibly the worst album track I've heard from LP. I agree about the ballads - Castle of Glass, Roads Untravelled and Powerless were really great tracks, and CoG and RU in particular prove that adding something brand new to your sound (electro-folk? I dunno what to call it) isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall, I think that, due to Skin to Bone and Until it Breaks being some of LP's worst tracks, in contrast to the rest of the album, the first half was far stronger, even though Powerless and RU were great. I don't know, have you got a decent pair of cans/speakers? Because I think you might need to upgrade if you can't hear the guitar in the first half. While the synth guitars and synth drums do annoy me, the real instruments ARE there, just toned down a little for some reason. Maybe check out Acelp12 on Youtube - he fiddled around with the tracks on Burn it Down and brought out the guitar more, while toning down the synths and it sounds quite good. I hope he does it with the rest of the album.
i was not listening over amazing speakers so i can't deny there was guitar+bass in those early songs, but it was not good enough for me. maybe i will listen again over These mofo's. You can like the first four songs, who am i to tell you what you can like? i just find these songs extremely boring and far too "safe" when you compare them to any other album from LP. even on M2M no two songs sounded the same. in the context of a full album, the songs feel half-assed put together and like i said before, too short.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

TheWatchmaker wrote:
Gregorovich wrote: I really couldn't disagree more with of what you said about the first half. While I do agree about Tinfoil, I can easily hear the guitar in every track which features it - I'll Be Gone is an entirely guitar-driven song, while Lost in the Echo, In My Remains and Burn it Down feature prominent guitar work. Conversely, I feel like Until It Breaks didn't even deserve the 'praise' you gave it - it was possibly the worst album track I've heard from LP. I agree about the ballads - Castle of Glass, Roads Untravelled and Powerless were really great tracks, and CoG and RU in particular prove that adding something brand new to your sound (electro-folk? I dunno what to call it) isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall, I think that, due to Skin to Bone and Until it Breaks being some of LP's worst tracks, in contrast to the rest of the album, the first half was far stronger, even though Powerless and RU were great. I don't know, have you got a decent pair of cans/speakers? Because I think you might need to upgrade if you can't hear the guitar in the first half. While the synth guitars and synth drums do annoy me, the real instruments ARE there, just toned down a little for some reason. Maybe check out Acelp12 on Youtube - he fiddled around with the tracks on Burn it Down and brought out the guitar more, while toning down the synths and it sounds quite good. I hope he does it with the rest of the album.
i was not listening over amazing speakers so i can't deny there was guitar+bass in those early songs, but it was not good enough for me. maybe i will listen again over These mofo's. You can like the first four songs, who am i to tell you what you can like? i just find these songs extremely boring and far too "safe" when you compare them to any other album from LP. even on M2M no two songs sounded the same. in the context of a full album, the songs feel half-assed put together and like i said before, too short.
I do agree that the first half of the album is 'playing it safe' in a way, but look at Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Things didn't get much heavier than By Myself, or softer than Numb for two whole albums - that's definitely 'playing it safe'.
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

Well it came out today here. I like it but don't love it, probably only prefer it over Minutes to Midnight. Lost In The Echo, Lies Greed Misery, Until It Breaks and Victimized are probably my favourites. Few of those other tracks I'll barely ever listen to again I think, just didn't catch me. Still a great listen though! Sounded awesome on my studio monitors. I'm listening to it on my normal computer speakers now and you definitely miss a lot of it on cheap speakers.
Last edited by Tyler. on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sum41Ant27
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Anthony

Post by Sum41Ant27 »

I just got mine through the mail! (One day early motherfuckers! lol I know you Europeans already have it! lol)

I actually like the album a lot, now I only listened to it once on my computer, and I've been reading how I need to listen to it on headphones. I'll do that tomorrow! It flows pretty well, and I feel is much better than ATS, a bit better than MTM, but not better than Meteora or HT. I was waiting to hear Victimized, and actually knew which one it was when I was listening to it, BUT.....(there's always a but) I wish it was a little heavier. Let me get another couple listens to it, and I'll get back to everyone. This album will be on repeat for awhile. There's not many other albums I'm waiting on this year.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

i did a video review for the album, it up on youtube now, check it out :winkwink:
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

Not a fan of the MoH partnership, but I'm so glad they made Castle of Glass a single. One of the best songs on the album.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Re: Linkin Park

Post by Gregorovich »

Ominous countdown timer on the LP official site. Reads 3 hours 16 mins from now. I guess it must be the Lost in the Echo video. Will post here when released.
Noreason757
Hooch

Post by Noreason757 »

Lostintheecho.com
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

That... was one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.
Noreason757
Hooch

Post by Noreason757 »

Gregorovich wrote:That... was one of the weirdest things I have ever seen.
mine hasnt worked yet, its stuck on the 7th constellation... :sosad:
Tyler.
Chuck

Post by Tyler. »

What was it meant to be? Mine won't load past there either
Noreason757
Hooch

Post by Noreason757 »

If you turn to AXSTV you can watch the Incubus/Linkin Park Concert Live right now!

if you dont have that channel you can also watch it here http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hdpr3
Last edited by Noreason757 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Now we can get the official Acapellas and Instrumentals from LIVING THINGS.The album is available for $11.99 USD, while the individual tracks will cost $1.29 USD each, but only for now on iTunes US, check it out here
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Andros wrote:Now we can get the official Acapellas and Instrumentals from LIVING THINGS.The album is available for $11.99 USD, while the individual tracks will cost $1.29 USD each, but only for now on iTunes US, check it out here
I wish more bands I like did this.

Actually, I kind of just wish Sum 41 did this.
Andros
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Andros »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Andros wrote:Now we can get the official Acapellas and Instrumentals from LIVING THINGS.The album is available for $11.99 USD, while the individual tracks will cost $1.29 USD each, but only for now on iTunes US, check it out here
I wish more bands I like did this.

Actually, I kind of just wish Sum 41 did this.
Yeah, like Screaming Bloody Murder, official Acapellas and Instrumentals, would be awesum!