Speak Of the Devil..

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

kapeish
First name: Ryan
Speak Of the Devil..

Post by kapeish »

Can someone try and describe exactly what deryck is try to say in this song.....its message..
Is he hatin on the devils pressure or something?

He says he wants to nullify this sick romance
and pull the cord to detonate
41salute
Bunkface

Re: Speak Of the Devil..

Post by 41salute »

I'm terrible at interpretating lyrics/books/simple speech, so I'll say it's about drugs/alcohol/general self-destruction.
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

Something to do with religion I'd say!

*Vague*
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

It's about masturbation.
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

I think it about Deryck's relationship with Dave
fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by fergal41 »

UltraKolby wrote:I think it about Deryck's relationship with Dave
For serious?
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Post by DeryckW »

fergal41 wrote:
UltraKolby wrote:I think it about Deryck's relationship with Dave
For serious?
For real.
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Well he has said that the beginning of the song is the devil himself talking then for the 2nd verse its Deryck's point of view, so I think its just about his relationship with his inner demons. So at first the devil has a hold of him "poison never hurt so good" then "pull the chord to detonate" letting go of the devil inside him

does that help?
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

fenderrocks wrote:Well he has said that the beginning of the song is the devil himself talking then for the 2nd verse its Deryck's point of view, so I think its just about his relationship with his inner demons. So at first the devil has a hold of him "poison never hurt so good" then "pull the chord to detonate" letting go of the devil inside him
Correct. =) Except the first bit is supposed to be his inner demon, not THE Devil. It's basically about his battle with his inner demons. I THINK he's supposed to win at the end but honestly, it's a set of song lyrics, so who the fuck knows who wins...
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Phili wrote:
fenderrocks wrote:Well he has said that the beginning of the song is the devil himself talking then for the 2nd verse its Deryck's point of view, so I think its just about his relationship with his inner demons. So at first the devil has a hold of him "poison never hurt so good" then "pull the chord to detonate" letting go of the devil inside him
Correct. =) Except the first bit is supposed to be his inner demon, not THE Devil. It's basically about his battle with his inner demons. I THINK he's supposed to win at the end but honestly, it's a set of song lyrics, so who the fuck knows who wins...
Well, if we're allowed to judge by his current lifestyle... I'd say the demon won. :twisted:
BrandonCorey
Ma Poubelle

Post by BrandonCorey »

It's about his inner demons and the bad side of him. But he refers to his bad side as a different person kinda. Think that's pretty much what it's about.
sumw41

Post by sumw41 »

that is so funny because i totally thought that you guys would understand every song that Deryck write, since your first lenguague is english, for those who dont speak english is even harder to at least get the message.Even if we use transaltor is not enough. ifeel better now because im not the only one who dont understand many songs.
Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Emil »

Jeremy Kill wrote:
Phili wrote:
Well, if we're allowed to judge by his current lifestyle... I'd say the demon won. :twisted:
Yeah, well jokes on him when the demon decides to shut down his kidneys.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Emil wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:
Phili wrote:
yeah but you have to look at his life ...he had a wife and he was like "this is my love for a whole life,I'll be there for her forever"...and I think that during his marriage he was the winner ...but then everything has changed and his life fucked up ...it's not easy to take but he could know it ...if I could say one celebrity that changed herself the most I would say Avril ...

btw:yeah these lyrics are about his demons ...it's my favorite song on the album and one of the favorites by Sum 41 ...especially the chorus ...I love the allegory in the song :) Deryck is a smart guy :D
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

Phili wrote:
I swear he said the devil because of the "was here before Christ forgave you your sins", but I could be wrong....I have no idea what interview it was, I just remember him saying it
shadowred3
First name: jonah

Post by shadowred3 »

ya its about deryks inner demons
billyspleen88
First name: danny

Post by billyspleen88 »

songmeanings.net is a good site for interpreting songs
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

billyspleen88 wrote:songmeanings.net is a good site for interpreting songs
TNS.com is better for Sum 41 songs.
Mr-David-Blues
Dr. Rocco
First name: David
Instrument 1: Geetar
Instrument 2: Vocalization

Post by Mr-David-Blues »

Its about Derycks inner demons, his darker side to living life his "downward spiral" and dealing with it