NYC show review (7/8/09)

All upcoming Sum 41 dates will be posted here. Post live reviews in here as well.

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

valderie
First name: valerie

NYC show review (7/8/09)

Post by valderie »

I went to the NYC show, Sums first night on the Offspring tour. It was really crazy for me, because that was my 10th time seeing them and it was at the same venue they played in the first time I saw them back in 2002. It was kind of surreal. The show was really fun, they played their usual hits and incited audience participation in the normal parts (we're all to blame, makes no difference, underclass hero, etc).
The show had sold out, and the venue was packed. I was up in the VIP balcony the entire time and was amazed by the crowd, and probably watched the kids on the floor just as much as I watched the band. I had back surgery recently so I'm not aloud to be in pits anymore, but I wished so hard I could thrash around on the floor with everyone that night.
I left in the middle of the Offspring's set and wandered around to the street behind the venue trying (and failing) to catch a cab. I turned around to look behind me because I heard someone talking and it was Tom! I had apparently been standing in front of Sum's bus the entire time, and he was out on the sidewalk talking on the phone. I waited until he was done and went over to talk to him. I told him how well they did, and we discussed New York City and their Long Island show they played back in May. Tom said he's very happy to be a more permanent member of the band and that he loves all the guys in Sum. He said he wasn't sure how the new album was coming along, because Deryck writes it all and keeps to himself about it apparently. But Tom has faith in Deryck to write amazing songs and will be happy to play whatever Deryck comes up with. Someone from Sum41's crew came out of the bus because he needed Tom for something, so he took a quick picture with me, thanked and hugged me and said goodbye. And then finally, my friend caught us a cab. :D

videos!
Sum41's entrance
Hell Song
Motivation (part 1 - filmed from behind the stage)
Motivation (part 2)
King of Contradiction
Still Waiting
Fat Lip
*valerie
Madjid

Re: NYC show review (7/8/09)

Post by Madjid »

Great, it looks like you had fun.
Btw, you look pretty :wink:

Click to view the fullsize image.http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... nwomen.jpg[/imgwidth]

OWNED
valderie

Post by valderie »

Aw thanks. I'm amazed I looked halfway decent, to be honest I was freaking out a bit inside. I can talk to anyone about anything, famous or not. But when it comes to Sum 41 my brain short circuts.
*valerie
Gibsum 41
Underclass Hero
AKA: Gib
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Gibsum 41 »

Wow, that's pretty cool! Congrats you got to meet Tom!
/jealous

NoReason27 is my mastah.
Kano and Still Waiting are my official n00bs. Mess with them and before you know it you'll be working in Nickelodeon :twisted:
J-pan, xmarryxx and conspiracyof1000 are my grandn00bs and T. is my brothah
Heather
First name: Heather
Instrument 2: guitar
Twitter: @HMac41

Post by Heather »

I would have like to have met tom, he was running around with this girl so I didn't bother them..lol
cool that he chatted with ya for a bit though. They played the Chuck intro at Charlotte, I love the Opera intro the best
valderie

Post by valderie »

the girl he was with at NYC was really nice, she showed up when i was talking to him and joined in!
*valerie
Heather

Post by Heather »

hmm...maybe it was the same girl, his girlfriend even...who knows, I just didn't feel comfortable so I didn't call him over, guess I will next time
sprinks41
Walking Disaster
First name: Jim
Instrument 2: Attempted Vocals

Post by sprinks41 »

lucky you Valerie! btw you are really cute :smile:
iemnaiz
Chuck
First name: ZIAN

Post by iemnaiz »

happy for you, but not jealous at all. its the tenth time you're seeing them!??! wow.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

Cool, I guess you had a great time then :D
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

jealouss
just kidding thats great you met tom! congratulations for that.
valderie

Post by valderie »

thanks everyone! over the years i've met all the guys at least twice (including dave) and they've all always been nothing short of amazing. they really listen to what you have to say and just make you feel like the most important person in the world while talking to them. if you havent met them yet and the chance arises, i'd say take it. theyre awesome people.

iemnaiz, Sum was my first general admission, real rock concert, and i was 12 yrs old. since then, whenever they played in NYC or long island i'd go see them. but they don't come here too often and it makes me sad. in May of this year i got to see them 3 times in one week and i felt as though my heart would explode from happiness.

and why thank youuu sprinks41, thats very kind of you to say :)
*valerie
Heather

Post by Heather »

valderie wrote:thanks everyone! over the years i've met all the guys at least twice (including dave) and they've all always been nothing short of amazing. they really listen to what you have to say and just make you feel like the most important person in the world while talking to them. if you havent met them yet and the chance arises, i'd say take it. theyre awesome people.
totally agree, they give you full attention and listen to what your saying, its just like talking to a friend
turtlehobopirate
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Minna
Instrument 1: Acoustic Guitar

Post by turtlehobopirate »

You're so lucky. If I ever got to meet any of them, I would be way too nervous to start a conversation lol.

Wikipedian Protester

http://xkcd.com/
http://explosm.net/
My masters are Reem and Aaron and they are awesome. My awesome n00b is Gutter Dreams. Don't mess with them.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

turtlehobopirate wrote:You're so lucky. If I ever got to meet any of them, I would be way too nervous to start a conversation lol.
I'm afraid I'd got the same problem too :(
valderie

Post by valderie »

TomiT14 wrote:
turtlehobopirate wrote:You're so lucky. If I ever got to meet any of them, I would be way too nervous to start a conversation lol.
I'm afraid I'd got the same problem too :(
i get super nervous. my chest tightens and hurts like hell. it gets hard for me to breathe. and i mean i am soo not the fangirl type. i can honestly talk to anyone famous like its nothing. sum41 its hard though because they mean so much to me. im trying to work in the music industry and theyre the band who really got me to be passionate about music. so i suck it up and talk to them. and i either ramble or i stumble over words and can't get them out. just cause its like i'm with my idols you know?
the one time i have ever been able to speak normally was to deryck in may. i told him exactly how sum changed my life and made me want to pursue this career path i'm on and helped me get through my childhood basically. and he just listened, and accepted me. he hugged me tight and then wished be good luck in the music business. and then i ran away from him and cried because i was just shocked that someone i looked up to SO MUCH wished stupid old me luck.

i'm serious. if you ever get the chance to talk to any of them. take it. because it will make you so incredibly happy.
*valerie
Heather

Post by Heather »

^^you got to spit out more than me, I wanted to tell him A LOT but the words escaped me. next time haha