Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen
First name: Lex

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by drummerlikestevo »

SumGeek wrote:Since theres all this talk about what went on with the 12 minute song, should i ask The Sums about it tomorrow at new.music.live?
if you do, don't ask if it's on the album, because it is.

you can ask if they still have plans to release it before the album.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

Noreason757 wrote:is jst 3 different songs tht bleed into each other
n i bleed while trng 2 read ur pst.

And I still get annoyed by the confusion that hits me every time I see that username.
Last edited by TomiT14 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen

TomiT14 wrote:I think the 12-minute song is divided into three separate parts on the record. It's too epic to be left out.
It was originally planned to be released a long time ago, but since it's now only two months till the album release, I see no point in releasing it before the album anymore.
thank you for agreeing with me.

as for the last part of your message - i believe this is what the sums are thinking.

best is to just expect it to not come out before the album, so if in case it is, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

everyone shouldn't bother bitching. sum fans should be used to these delays!
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

drummerlikestevo wrote:everyone shouldn't bother bitching. sum fans should be used to these delays!
Exactly. 2 years and counting. Two months shouldn't be an issue.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

TomiT14 wrote:
Noreason757 wrote:is jst 3 different songs tht bleed into each other
n i bleed while trng 2 read ur pst.

And I still get annoyed by the confusion that hits me every time I see that username.
ITS NOT ME!!!! i actually considered switching my name back to NoReason27, just to add more confusion lol.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Post by SumGeek »

drummerlikestevo wrote:
SumGeek wrote:Since theres all this talk about what went on with the 12 minute song, should i ask The Sums about it tomorrow at new.music.live?
if you do, don't ask if it's on the album, because it is.

you can ask if they still have plans to release it before the album.
Well, yeah, it's on the album but it's pretty clear that their blended into eachother. So I'd just ask what went on with that and as you stated, ask if they have any plans on releasing it still. I was also wondering if I should ask about the title change in Scumfuk? (Unless I missed an explaination for this somewhere in this thread?)
ptido
Bunkface

Post by ptido »

I just thought about something.

The Sums said that the album will contain 14 songs a long time ago. This summer they talked about a 12 minutes song. So why there's still 14 songs if a few months ago they were 14 songs including EPIC ?

It's strange. I hope you understand what I mean, I don't find the words to express myself :silly:
We must use our voices as a flag.
And make it resonate in every building, in every head.

The youth is raising up in burning cages, not just pretences.

We are the solution.

http://sum41-france.com
RileSum
Billy Spleen
First name: Riley
Instrument 2: Guitar Hero Guitar

Post by RileSum »

ptido wrote:I just thought about something.

The Sums said that the album will contain 14 songs a long time ago. This summer they talked about a 12 minutes song. So why there's still 14 songs if a few months ago they were 14 songs including EPIC ?
It's strange. I hope you understand what I mean, I don't find the words to express myself :silly:
Yeah, he said he's narrowed it down 14-15 songs that will go on the album, and i pretty sure the 12 minute song wasn't part of that because they we're planning on releasing it, so if they put it on the album then i guess they threw away 3 songs.

I'm hoping it leaks a least a week before release, because i'm fucking going away the 29th for a ski competition. I wanna torrent it before i go, then i buy the album once i get back
I want to fly, Can you take me far away, Give me a star to reach for, Tell me what it takes, And I’ll go so high, I’ll go so high, My feet won’t touch the ground, its my wings, That pull the strings, I bought these dreams, That all fall down
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Jesus Christ Supermarket wrote:The only difference is that I'm more disappointed because I have high expectations for this album and frankly I haven't been blown away with anything yet.
All I can say about this is it's your own fault for having such high expectations. The same thing happened to me with Underclass Hero and I'm sure I would've enjoyed that album a whole lot more than if I didn't make myself believe it would be the best Sum 41 record ever (according to my personal tastes). I have no one but myself to blame for my own disappointment in that album. I still like it, but you know, just not what I expected. This time around, I did not expect anything spectacular. In fact, if you expect the worst, anything that happens turns out good. I don't know, I'm just trying to give you some advice so you avoid setting yourself up for (major) disappointment in the future.

Anyway, I'm with Tomi and Lex about the 12-minute song being split up into different parts, which I don't mind if the songs segue into the next like March of the Dogs and The Jester. The 12-minute song (I'll just call it "Epic") could not be left out for something as small as a b-side. On top of that, Sum 41 don't seem like a band that would write an hour long record with no breaks (this is assuming Epic would be a bonus track or b-side). Even with the 50-minute long Underclass Hero there were lots of extra parts and long silences that would've pushed the playing time to that mark.

This is long, sorry.
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

TomiT14 wrote:And I still get annoyed by the confusion that hits me every time I see that username

u could just call me Sean, i would b fine with tht :glad:
drummerlikestevo
Billy Spleen

RileSum wrote:

Yeah, he said he's narrowed it down 14-15 songs that will go on the album, and i pretty sure the 12 minute song wasn't part of that because they we're planning on releasing it, so if they put it on the album then i guess they threw away 3 songs.

I'm hoping it leaks a least a week before release, because i'm fucking going away the 29th for a ski competition. I wanna torrent it before i go, then i buy the album once i get back
guys, this is the logic.

1) deryck wrote 3 separate songs.
2) he decided they all blended well together.
3) the band started jamming them in succession, and it worked.
4) a blurred line was therefore created. whenever they were to play "epic", they'd play all 3 songs, so it was like 1 really long song. but they were ALWAYS 3 separate songs to begin with.
5) therefore, when cone said 14 songs, epic was ALREADY counted as 3 songs.
6) therefore, this thought "Yeah, he said he's narrowed it down 14-15 songs that will go on the album, and i pretty sure the 12 minute song wasn't part of that because they we're planning on releasing it, so if they put it on the album then i guess they threw away 3 songs." is bogus.
dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Post by dff_punk »

I am fucking excited. You guys mentioned Cone said that the piano part from this video is not gonna make it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQ70Jx4RZU

If so, too bad, that piano part hypnotizes me each time I hear it... really so freaking cool magical atmosphere goes from that. But good the guitar part will be there. Who knows, maybe the piano made the cut too. According to the review, it might suit Crash or Sick Of It All. Well let us just wait.
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

For this album, I don't really know what to expect. I loved Skumfuk and SBM. so I'm not trying to make my expectations high, but I'm still REALLY excited for this record because I love how those two songs sounded. It might not be Sums best record in the end, but chances are I'll still end up loving it.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

"Epic" will not be a bside. not sure if it was already stated. and perhaps the times listed for each track within the "suite of EPIC" were their individual times and are in fact, one whole track on the record. the reviewer just didn't realize it because he/she is stupid and doesn't know what roman numerals are. but, im probably wrong, im just trying to post whore more
Last edited by Dylan on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
Noreason757
Hooch
First name: Sean
Instrument 1: keyboard
Instrument 2: guitar

Post by Noreason757 »

OMG IT POSTED WAYY TO MUCH WTF!!!!!

EDIT: not a problem anymore.
Last edited by Noreason757 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

drummerlikestevo wrote:

guys, this is the logic.
1) deryck wrote 3 separate songs.
2) he decided they all blended well together.
3) the band started jamming them in succession, and it worked.
4) a blurred line was therefore created. whenever they were to play "epic", they'd play all 3 songs. so it was like 1 really long song. but they were ALWAYS 3 separate songs to begin with.
5) therefore, when cone said 14 songs, epic was ALREADY counted as 3 songs.
6) therefore, this thought "Yeah, he said he's narrowed it down 14-15 songs that will go on the album, and i pretty sure the 12 minute song wasn't part of that because they we're planning on releasing it, so if they put it on the album then i guess they threw away 3 songs." is bogus. the online release that never materialised shouldn't cause confusion.

it's not a b-side. there's a reason they called it epic.

lol why did this get posted 13 times?
dff_punk
Bunkface
Instrument 2: vocals
Last.fm Username: dff_punk
Twitter: dff_punk

Post by dff_punk »

Haha, I told my self not to press the "Submit" button multiple times, but.. oh well :D Postcount ftw.

EDIT: Not relevant anymore.
Last edited by dff_punk on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Jesus Christ Supermarket wrote:
Simon wrote: The fact that you're being such a bummer just because you don't like the songtitles, only see the worst in that review and even defend that, makes me doubt that you are what I consider a fellow Sum 41 fan who just happens to have a different opinion with me.
What are you suggesting? Pretend that I'm 12, (the age at which I would like lame titles like All Comes To An End?) and ignore the only person who has actuallylistened to the album just because he isn't a huge fan?
Right, because the only alternative to giving it full credibility is completely ignoring it. And no, you did not say the same thing as Heather. She acknowledged that it is much harder to like a title by itself compared to listening a song and then thinking "Well, yeah the title isn't amazing if you just read it but it fits/makes sense when you hear the song", while something that might have sounded like a great title on a tracklist would have actually been worse. Your initial reaction might have been the same, but I think she will agree that that's about it.

You can only get so much from somebody else describing something, especially in music. But since this might actually lower your expectations, may be you're doing yourself a favor. But do us a favor as well and stop talking like any of this is a reason to be disappointed (notice that you said "we" in your original post). If you want to set yourself up for it already, that's your problem, but I get pissed when people do that in a way that gives others the wrong the idea. It just reminds me of that part of me which is doing the same thing ("Fuck! All that MCR talk sounds bad, this better be good.. I've been waiting so long!"), but I ignore it because I know it's stupid. They said the same thing about Skumfuk and I absolutely love that song as well as SBM. I also loved pretty much every single note I heard in the studio updates, so that's that.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Tyler.
Chuck
First name: Tyler
Instrument 1: Guitar-Bass-Piano
Instrument 2: Trumpet-Drums
Instrument 3: Didgeridoo

Post by Tyler. »

well if it was always this 3 songs blended together, they should've never said "12 minute song" because it isn't
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Tyler. wrote:well if it was always this 3 songs blended together, they should've never said "12 minute song" because it isn't
Yeah but if they were going to release it early would it come as three separate ones then?