[Gig review] Green Day in Stockholm, SWE 01/27/2017

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

[Gig review] Green Day in Stockholm, SWE 01/27/2017

Post by TomiT14 »

I was gonna say that people used to do these back in the day, but doing a quick search, it was basically only me. :hehe: Anyways, since TNS isn't that active as it used to be, I thought I could try to revive my old tradition and start to write reviews of sorts again. :2cool4u:

Perhaps for your surprise, I only discovered Green Day in 2009 with their new album 21st Century Breakdown. Of course I had heard Boulevard Of Broken Dreams and Basket Case before, but I never really listened to them before 21CB. After listening to that album for the first time, I became a huge fan and they became my 2nd favorite band.

They held that 2nd place for me until their Trilogy albums. Those three albums were garbage, so it kinda ruined my relationship towards them. I could've called myself a superfan before, but after those albums I only listened to them very rarely.

So, since I basically lost my faith in Green Day, I wasn't expecting much from Revolution Radio. There are a few good songs (Still Breathing, Revolution Radio, Too Dumb To Die, Youngblood), while the rest are just fillers. But in comparison to the Trilogy, this album was OK.

But while I didn't really like their new music, I loved their shows. They are definitely one of the best live bands I've experienced, and I'd really recommend the show to anyone, even if they don't know them. The show itself is worth attending for its entertainment.

Alright, let's cut the crap. Finland wasn't part of their touring schedule this time around, so I hopped across the bay to Stockholm, Sweden. This was my 4th Green Day show, first in 4 years, so I was pretty hyped. The first three shows I attended had the same pattern for the setlist; Starting off with some brand new hits, followed by American Idiot songs, then a section of old school songs, then some newer songs again, and ending the show with some American Idiot songs along with few acoustics. While the sections of the eras stayed pretty much the same, the songs itself were mixed up from the previous tours, so you couldn't expect what was coming next. And that's how it should be! :2cool4u:

The show itself was good old Green Day, extended bridges, getting the crowd along in many ways, bringing people up on stage to sing and play the songs etc. The setlist was the biggest upside for me, though. It was almost like my dream playlist from 2009. There were NOT A SINGLE SONG played from the Trilogy. I was totally surprised by it, after all they released 39 songs on them, so surely there could've been a few songs that could fit in. But I wasn't complaining, not at all! Instead, they played some super old rareties, songs that were my favorites from the older records (2000 Light Years Away, Christie Road), that I never thought I could hear live. Damn, I was happy!

While I was glad there weren't any Trilogy songs, I was disappointed that they played only one song from 21CB, Know Your Enemy, which isn't one of my favorites from the album. I was expecting them to play at least 21 Guns, oh well.
Also, what the fuck is with Are We The Waiting? In my opinion, it's one of the most boring songs by them, still they play it almost every night. I could even take a boring Trilogy song over that one.

Congrats if you read this far. Here's the setlist.
Took some videos from a few songs. Check them out if you will!

1. Know Your Enemy
2. Bang Bang
3. Revolution Radio
4. Holiday
5. Letterbomb
6. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
7. Longview
8. Youngblood
9. 2000 Light Years Away
10. Hitchin' A Ride
11. When I Come Around
12. Waiting
13. Christie Road
14. Burnout
15. Scattered
16. Minority
17. Are We The Waiting
18. St. Jimmy
19. Knowledge
20. Basket Case
21. She
22. King For A Day (including a bit from Careless Whisper by George Michael)
23. Shout (including bits from Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Hey Jude)
24. Still Breathing
25. Forever Now

--Encore--
26. American Idiot
27. Jesus Of Suburbia

--Encore 2--
28. Ordinary World
29. Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)
Iam The Ghost
Billy Spleen

Re: [Gig review] Green Day in Stockholm, SWE 01/27/2017

Post by Iam The Ghost »

I'll see them in June for the first time, really looking forward to it. Can't say I'm that big fan, but there are some eras when I get into their music and just can't stop listening. I played Rock Band: GD game many, many times. :2cool4u: (yeah, wish there was a Sum 41 version)
After the trilogy I also didn't have much expectations, but Revolution Radio surprised me, I really like it.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

Honestly, I liked Revolution Radio more than 13 voices.. which after the trilogy, I was not expecting.

I'm going to see them this fall, I've never seen them before. Sounds like it'll be a good show!
jacobbadillo41
Bunkface
First name: Jacob
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by jacobbadillo41 »

I will see them in July!, i liked a bit the trilogy but only a few songs like Stay the night, Fuck time, Stop when the red lights out but in my opinion the trilogy sound isnt Green Day. Revolution Radio for me is a great album but no as good as 13 voices. I think 13 voices is much better.
ESPILFIRE
Post by ESPILFIRE »

I like Green Day. Albums like American Idiot, Dookie, 21st Century Breakdown are asewome. The Trilogy was great but was a bit disappointing, a lot of filling songs.

This Revolution Radio it´s other album more. Nothing special, remember to Trilogy and definitely y miss old Green Day. It´s like a band down at heel.

Equally I thought SUM 41 are DEAD on 2013/2014, I think The Offspring is gone since 2008, Green Day falls into complacency. Their sons isn´t bad but not at the same level to 2004-2009.

PD. sorry for my grammar.
Sju
First name: Zuzana

Post by Sju »

Damn I missed them in Prague and I knew I'd regret it. I enjoy mainly AI, 21CB and some older songs here and there and this setlist is p awesome!

I actually love the sound of Are We the Waiting :silly:
UltraKolby
Hooch
First name: Kolby
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by UltraKolby »

Revolution Radio wasn't all that good but it was a step into the right direction for them. It was much better than the trilogy though. The music on RR was really good but it's the lyrics that kill me. It's like Billie can't write anymore.

I'm glad you had a good time at the show and that setlist looks really good. I'm glad they are playing Waiting and Scattered but wish they would play a little less of American Idiot.