Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Instrument 1: Guitar
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Re: The TNS Toilet

Post by Mitchell »

Gutter Dreams wrote:ouuu, wisdom teeth out soon. anyone up for me posting while I'm under the influence?
<-- This guy

I'm getting surgery this friday and I was considering taking a pic and sending it to a friend who hates that kinda stuff.
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero
First name: Gregor
Last.fm Username: grgrlove

The TNS Toilet

Post by Gregorovich »

Mitchell wrote:
Gutter Dreams wrote:ouuu, wisdom teeth out soon. anyone up for me posting while I'm under the influence?
<-- This guy

I'm getting surgery this friday and I was considering taking a pic and sending it to a friend who hates that kinda stuff.
The doctors say my toenail will fall of in a few weeks. I'll be sure to show all of you when it does.
fuck this signature nonsense
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

Stupid shit I did yesterday while slightly drunk:
- Laugh my ass off cos some guy was walking pretty awkward
- Give some really stupid advice to my roomate.
- Text my crush telling him about my roomate's problem, pretty wtfish I know
- Text my sis, well it was my roomate not me, she said " yo i've been told you shagged a really hot guy on thursday" genius idea
- Run around singing don't stop me now.

And that's all I can remember
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Post by FuckT41182 »

Gregorovich wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:Started reading War And Peace, has anybody read it ? Any impressions, opinions?
Yeah, it's probably the best book I've ever read. It's often seen by critics as the greatest novel ever written, along with Don Quixote. If you put some graft in and get through it all, you'll really appreciate it. Tolstoy is a writer, a historian and a philosopher and he showcases each of these throughout the book. Tolstoy the historian comes in at the beginning of the third volume (where it starts getting really good), and the second half of the 34-chapter epilogue is a barrage of the philosophy of free will. I'd say anybody who wants to consider themselves a reader should at least attempt it.

Edit: As with all Russian classics, your experience will differ massively depending on the translation. So if you've got the cheap penguin classics version don't expect to be wowed. Unless you're reading it in the original of course!
I only read English or American classics by penguin classics(such as Moby Dick or Tom Sawyer), I am quite satisfied with the prize and I appreciate the idea that they had to bring the classics in such love prizes to people. However, my War and Peace version is the Oxford World's Classics(The definitive translation newly revised). I don't know if that's any good, but I know that it wasn't that cheap, I mean, 11 euros is not cheap for me for a book.

Btw, so you mean that when I've read Verne's books in versions made by Penguin classics, that it was a lame translation ? I haven't really thought about this much, I usually got satisfied with the words ''complete and unabridged'' at the back of the books of PC. I also have a lot of Collins classics books, for I always thought that you pay more for the looks of the book, not for the content. Or does it only pertain to Russian classics, as you said ?
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

FuckT41182 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:
FuckT41182 wrote:Started reading War And Peace, has anybody read it ? Any impressions, opinions?
Yeah, it's probably the best book I've ever read. It's often seen by critics as the greatest novel ever written, along with Don Quixote. If you put some graft in and get through it all, you'll really appreciate it. Tolstoy is a writer, a historian and a philosopher and he showcases each of these throughout the book. Tolstoy the historian comes in at the beginning of the third volume (where it starts getting really good), and the second half of the 34-chapter epilogue is a barrage of the philosophy of free will. I'd say anybody who wants to consider themselves a reader should at least attempt it.

Edit: As with all Russian classics, your experience will differ massively depending on the translation. So if you've got the cheap penguin classics version don't expect to be wowed. Unless you're reading it in the original of course!
I only read English or American classics by penguin classics(such as Moby Dick or Tom Sawyer), I am quite satisfied with the prize and I appreciate the idea that they had to bring the classics in such love prizes to people. However, my War and Peace version is the Oxford World's Classics(The definitive translation newly revised). I don't know if that's any good, but I know that it wasn't that cheap, I mean, 11 euros is not cheap for me for a book.

Btw, so you mean that when I've read Verne's books in versions made by Penguin classics, that it was a lame translation ? I haven't really thought about this much, I usually got satisfied with the words ''complete and unabridged'' at the back of the books of PC. I also have a lot of Collins classics books, for I always thought that you pay more for the looks of the book, not for the content. Or does it only pertain to Russian classics, as you said ?
Well I've never read Verne, so I wouldn't know (I should though). It's just the experience I've had with Russian classics - my copy of War & Peace was an Oxford University Press edition; it was hardcover and about £20. I'd just recommend when buying translated literature in general to have a look online and see which translations have had the most appraisal. I'd tell you the translations that I've read (of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy mainly, though there are various others) but I don't have my collection with me at university. I can tell you that the version of War & Peace I read was the Maude translation, which is often regarded as the best. Regardless of the translation, however, it's still an amazing read, especially if you're into the philosophy of history and the history of philosophy, haha.
Mitchell
Staff Fluffer
First name: Mitchell
PSN ID: blackhawk1105
Twitter: @MitchellK41

Post by Mitchell »

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6457252 ... _baas.html

This is fucking hilarious, do watch
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

Mitchell wrote:http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6457252 ... _baas.html

haha :hehe: is this real ? he has got a very contagious laugh !
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Gregorovich wrote:Well I've never read Verne, so I wouldn't know (I should though). It's just the experience I've had with Russian classics - my copy of War & Peace was an Oxford University Press edition; it was hardcover and about £20. I'd just recommend when buying translated literature in general to have a look online and see which translations have had the most appraisal. I'd tell you the translations that I've read (of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy mainly, though there are various others) but I don't have my collection with me at university. I can tell you that the version of War & Peace I read was the Maude translation, which is often regarded as the best. Regardless of the translation, however, it's still an amazing read, especially if you're into the philosophy of history and the history of philosophy, haha.
I have the same edition, just paperback, not hardcover. In fact, I only have like 10 hardcovers from all the 60 books that I own, and 8 of them are Harry Potter books + The Tales of Bard... from childhood. Then Band Of Brothers and Night Shift, all the other books I have are paperbacks. It's cheaper.

Thanks for the advice for checking the quality of translations, I have given it some thought prior to this discussion, but never enough to consider it seriously, I always got satisfied with the ''Complete and Unabridged'' at the back of the Penguin Classics books... But I am currently reading Dante's Inferno and it's Collins Classics, they too make cheap paperback editions, so now you made me wonder if there are some inefficiencies in quality of the translation ... Although, I checked it on the internet and I like this translation in comparison with the others that I found, so it should be alright...

And yes, I do like philosophy, I probably like it too much like Pierre, but what can I do, I have to try and think less, for I do believe that sometimes it's a virtue to stop thinking. I've only read 37 pages so far, and already feel the quality and intelligence of the author, extremely witty at some parts. Totally loved when Prince Andrei said that if men fought in wars only on their own conviction, there would be no wars. Back in 1940s the American government and high military officials were telling their soldiers the truth(about concentration camps) and the soldiers didn't believe it, they thought it was just propaganda to make them fight more fiercely and without compassion, now the government spreads lies all over the country and people believe it. Patriotism can be a bitch sometimes. ...

PS: You really should read Verne's work, he was marvelous, you know that what you are reading is science-fiction, but the way he puts it is so good that it can make you believe that people can fly and shoot fireballs from their ass for the time being.

Yeah, kinda doubt it's real, but nonetheless, perfectly amusing. His laughter and description of the situation, both WIN.
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Gregorovich
Underclass Hero

Post by Gregorovich »

I will definitely check out Verne as soon as I get through my Literature degree, haha. I actually read Dante's Inferno as part of my course a couple of weeks ago - made the mistake of getting a free version on my Kindle and hence an awful translation. Oh well.
Ardi41
Dr. Rocco
First name: Ardi
Instrument 2: Magic Stick

Post by Ardi41 »

I really don't like two and a half men, but what the fuck happened to the kid ??
Gutter Dreams
First name: Sarah
Twitter: sarrrwhite

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Mitchell wrote:
<-- This guy

my face is going to be so swollen, no pics from me.
Resident Skumfuk
All Killer No Filler

Post by Resident Skumfuk »

The lottery here is up to $500 million. I was dumb and bought a ticket, even though the odds are like 1:175,000,000 haha.
Gutter Dreams

Post by Gutter Dreams »

I've decided I'm just going to fucking play Assassin's Creed for the next four days when I'm dying from the wisdom teeth.
sumfan4
Jessica Kill
First name: Eric
Instrument 1: vajayjay
Instrument 2: my weiner
Instrument 3: your weiner

Post by sumfan4 »

The Sum41 show last night was so cool! We got the Sums back on stage for an encore by singing Star Spangled Banner lol, and Deryck threw a pick, but nobody could find it, my friend goes home and finds it in her bra!
Druska
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Andrea
AKA: S, Lois Lane,Druska
PSN ID: Druska7
Last.fm Username: druska41
Twitter: _Druska_

Post by Druska »

FuckT41182 wrote:
Gregorovich wrote:Well I've never read Verne, so I wouldn't know (I should though). It's just the experience I've had with Russian classics - my copy of War & Peace was an Oxford University Press edition; it was hardcover and about £20. I'd just recommend when buying translated literature in general to have a look online and see which translations have had the most appraisal. I'd tell you the translations that I've read (of Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy mainly, though there are various others) but I don't have my collection with me at university. I can tell you that the version of War & Peace I read was the Maude translation, which is often regarded as the best. Regardless of the translation, however, it's still an amazing read, especially if you're into the philosophy of history and the history of philosophy, haha.
I have the same edition, just paperback, not hardcover. In fact, I only have like 10 hardcovers from all the 60 books that I own, and 8 of them are Harry Potter books + The Tales of Bard... from childhood. Then Band Of Brothers and Night Shift, all the other books I have are paperbacks. It's cheaper.

Thanks for the advice for checking the quality of translations, I have given it some thought prior to this discussion, but never enough to consider it seriously, I always got satisfied with the ''Complete and Unabridged'' at the back of the Penguin Classics books... But I am currently reading Dante's Inferno and it's Collins Classics, they too make cheap paperback editions, so now you made me wonder if there are some inefficiencies in quality of the translation ... Although, I checked it on the internet and I like this translation in comparison with the others that I found, so it should be alright...

And yes, I do like philosophy, I probably like it too much like Pierre, but what can I do, I have to try and think less, for I do believe that sometimes it's a virtue to stop thinking. I've only read 37 pages so far, and already feel the quality and intelligence of the author, extremely witty at some parts. Totally loved when Prince Andrei said that if men fought in wars only on their own conviction, there would be no wars. Back in 1940s the American government and high military officials were telling their soldiers the truth(about concentration camps) and the soldiers didn't believe it, they thought it was just propaganda to make them fight more fiercely and without compassion, now the government spreads lies all over the country and people believe it. Patriotism can be a bitch sometimes. ...

PS: You really should read Verne's work, he was marvelous, you know that what you are reading is science-fiction, but the way he puts it is so good that it can make you believe that people can fly and shoot fireballs from their ass for the time being.

Yeah, kinda doubt it's real, but nonetheless, perfectly amusing. His laughter and description of the situation, both WIN.
If you want my expert advice( Yeah I'm studying translation), if you've the chance always read/watch it in the original language, perfect translations are hard to find.
And yeah the Quixote might be a classic, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, specially in spanish.
Boy did i hate that book during high school
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk

Post by FuckT41182 »

Druska wrote:If you want my expert advice( Yeah I'm studying translation), if you've the chance always read/watch it in the original language, perfect translations are hard to find.
And yeah the Quixote might be a classic, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, specially in spanish.
Boy did i hate that book during high school
I get what you mean, I watch every movie in its original language, but reading every book in the native language of the author is almost impossible.

A book being a classic doesn't mean a sure delight for every reader, there is many people who despise Moby Dick, I personally find it to be one of the best books ever written, but I understand that some people might find it too long in it's descriptive parts, although they do have a meaning ...
Gutter Dreams

Post by Gutter Dreams »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Post by Jake »

Gutter Dreams wrote:FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK
lol.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Gutter Dreams

Post by Gutter Dreams »

Jake wrote:
Gutter Dreams wrote:FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKK
lol.
jakey everything hurts :(((((((((((((((
and there's lots of snow
and my power keeps going
Jeremy Kill
The TNS Toilet

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Resident Skumfuk wrote:The lottery here is up to $500 million. I was dumb and bought a ticket, even though the odds are like 1:175,000,000 haha.
I heard you had a better chance of becoming the President of the United States than winning that jackpot, haha.