Cone's bass parts

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

burnout

Cone's bass parts

Post by burnout »

one thing that immediately struck me when i listened to this album was that Cone's bass parts had been significantly reduced, and he just ended up playing the root notes of songs.
i just watched the making of underclass heroe and was thinking....damn deryck for stopping him play more interesting parts.
budgie
Underclass Hero
Post by budgie »

not only that, but a LOT of his parts just consist of:

----------------------------
--2222--------------------
-------2222-4444-0000--
washburn

Post by washburn »

i think that deryck knows better what sounds best for his songs.. i mean ofcourse he would let cone play the song different if it sounded better
Blastero

Post by Blastero »

budgie182 wrote:not only that, but a LOT of his parts just consist of:

--2222--------------------
-------2222-4444-0000--
That progression and similar ones are possibly the most overused progressions in pop-punk music.
King of Contradiction
Bunkface

Post by King of Contradiction »

I tinhk the making of feature showed alot of thought went into the bass parts.
jsd2
Bunkface

Post by jsd2 »

I don't know what the problem was, but watching that show made it look like "Dave" all over again.

Look out for the Cone Brigade (coming to an itunes near u)
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

Yeah, Deryck sounded kind of pissed off in a sarcastic type of way when Cone tried to sneak in an extra part in Underclass Hero. Like, "we had the song done six months ago and now all of a sudden I'm hearing something new."

But yeah, that one progression is really used a lot. I really get bored of playing Confusion/Frustraion on my guitar.

I just hope Cone got his way at times for what he wanted to play.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Philip
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Bass

Post by Hentaiman »

The way that Deryck controls everything there doesn't sounds really goot at all.
I mean, i'm not the only one that gonna say that Underclass Hero is kinda Deryck's solo project.
Almost all of the lyrics are personal stuff to Deryck, plus he wrote all the guitar parts and stuff, and basically Underclass Hero is all about Deryck and i won't be surprised if the title is "Hero" and not "Heroes" cuz it's reffered to Deryck only.

And that's too bad. Haven't saw the Underclass Heroes Special though but from what u guys are saying, the situation might be too much under Deryck's control ... =/

Though Deryck is an awesome guy, until u prove me otherwise! :P
Omega Myre
Bunkface

Post by Omega Myre »

I agree completely, Cone got screwed as far as bass parts go on this album. I think Deryck took this whole "This is a very personal album" thing too far and he ended up screwing over the rest of the band. Oh well, maybe next album Cone will make a kick ass comeback.
Byzzy

Post by Byzzy »

Omega Myre wrote:I agree completely, Cone got screwed as far as bass parts go on this album. I think Deryck took this whole "This is a very personal album" thing too far and he ended up screwing over the rest of the band. Oh well, maybe next album Cone will make a kick ass comeback.
if there is one...
Omega Myre
Bunkface

Post by Omega Myre »

Byzzy wrote:
Omega Myre wrote:I agree completely, Cone got screwed as far as bass parts go on this album. I think Deryck took this whole "This is a very personal album" thing too far and he ended up screwing over the rest of the band. Oh well, maybe next album Cone will make a kick ass comeback.
if there is one...
There better be. :wink:
Phili
Underclass Hero
First name: Gavinji

Post by Phili »

There will be. I'm sure of it.

What it seemed like to me was that Deryck had come in with a vision of what he wanted all the songs to be and sound like. And Cone had a different vision. So they clashed a bit. Deryck clearly cared about Cone's opinion, but Cone seemed to be like, "OK, I'm going to pick my battles. If he really wants the bass to be like this and he's sure it's the best thing for the album, then I'll let him have his way."
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Claudia is my grand-noob.
Lisette (bunny) is my great-grand noob.
Jeremy Kill
Post by Jeremy Kill »

The problem was that they all wanted it to be "the best album they could make" or whatever. So they ended up getting really picky... actually, Deryck ended up getting really picky. He just wanted to have the perfect sound and everything. I'm glad that Deryck had a good vision of what he wanted the album to be.

I don't think Cone saw it as big of a deal as Deryck did though.
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

^Yeah, I agree with the last thing you said a lot. I think Cone's just like "I think this sounds cool" and Deryck's like "This needs to be this way for this song to sound good. The album must be perfect."

Deryck's awkward little "the bass is the song" speech made me giggle a little.
Adam (Open Your Eyes), Amy (Mr. Penguin), and Sasha (Young,Dumb,And Full Of Cum...) are my noobs.
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

I think i agree with that.
Cone probably thought that what they have is good, but Deryck wanted it to be the perfect album ever, and i can't really blame him, it's the guy's most personal and lyrically best album, and it would be a shame for him if his most lyrically personal album not gonna have the sound he had in mind, altough that's kinda a solo project.
Anyway, even though they have clashes, i'm sure the Sums are gonna be back with even a greater album!
Phili
Underclass Hero

Post by Phili »

It's almost amusing how Steve and Deryck never seem to argue except for a playful debate about whether Steve's balding or not.
UnderclassHeroine
King of Contradiction

Post by UnderclassHeroine »

I just thought tis board said... "Cone's ass parts"
And I was like wtf.

XD
Sorry, but had to say that.
<center>
Image</center>
Hentaiman
Resident Skumfuk

Post by Hentaiman »

UnderclassHeroine wrote:I just thought tis board said... "Cone's ass parts"
And I was like wtf.

XD
Sorry, but had to say that.
XDD :lol:
spider-man
Hooch

Post by spider-man »

yeah I really think Deryck needed to let cone have some of his ideas, cause he didn't really get to do much, he didn't write the songs, all his ideas got shot down, and it seems like I can't even hear him in the CD, and he's only playing the root notes of the chords the guitar plays in the first place.

I think deryck should have let this be more of a band project... Not that I don't like him or sum 41, I still think it's a great CD but still...
burnout

Post by burnout »

spider-man wrote:yeah I really think Deryck needed to let cone have some of his ideas, cause he didn't really get to do much, he didn't write the songs, all his ideas got shot down, and it seems like I can't even hear him in the CD, and he's only playing the root notes of the chords the guitar plays in the first place.

I think deryck should have let this be more of a band project... Not that I don't like him or sum 41, I still think it's a great CD but still...
exactly, Cone's bass parts are just boring and inaudible. only speak of the devil is decent...just about.