Quietdrive

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Quietdrive

Post by TomiT14 »

I already made a request thread on the multimedia section about them a while ago, but I think they deserve a proper appreciation thread here too.

One of my favorite bands, and currently I've been listening to them non-stop. Quite basic Pop-Punk vibe, but it feels like every song would be a hit on the radio if they were given a chance. Unfortunately, probably their best-known song is a cover of a Cindy Lauper's song Time After Time. It's a very good cover, but of course I like their original songs better.

They've already released 3 full-length albums and 5 EPs, their latest self-titled album being my favorite. There's no song I dislike on it. They are a very active group, I'm surprised how they don't need any longer breaks between albums. They started the band in 2002 in Plymouth, Minnesota, and 2007 has been the only year since without an album or EP. Then again, 2006 had two releases. :glad:

But somehow the word about them hasn't gone too far. They basically tour only in the US and Japan. They also made a visit to Iraq a couple of years ago to play a show for the troops. I think they are way too good to be unrecognized in Europe. :sosad:

They are very interactive with their fans. The band runs its own Facebook account, and answers to their fans' postings frequently. Now they are releasing a new cover album called Your Record Our Spin on December 28th. The album is fully funded by fans' donations, while the songs have been chosen by the fan votes. Here's the lead single, Africa originally by Toto.

Here are couple of my favorites of their original songs.
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Re: Quietdrive

Post by 182sins »

Wow thanks Tomi ! I really didn't know they were that active ! To be honest I have only one song of them in my itunes Library (Time After Time), but when I listened to it again not so long ago I told myself "yeah they're good !" I'm gonna check some of their other albums, but do you have any other tracks to recommend ?

Btw, I don't know for their latest albums, but Time After Time has been mixed by Chris Lord-alge, who has mixed the latest 2 Sum 41 albums, and Chris=Awesomeness :)

Anyway, thanks for the info !

*me* clicks on "Download Africa" :D
Last edited by 182sins on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

182sins wrote:Btw, I don't know for their latest albums, but Time After Time has been mixed by Chris Lord-alge, who has mixed the latest 2 Sum 41 albums, and Chris=Awesomeness :)
Yeah, their first full-length When All That's Left Is You (2006) was mixed by Chris Lord-Alge. Also, it was produced by Butch Walker, who has produced a lot of Avril's work, and is a friend of Deryck's too.

Like I said, to me most of their songs sound like they would be radio hits. So doesn't matter what song you start from, you'll get the vibe. Lately I've been in love with their self-titled album. Along with the songs I already posted, songs like Until The End (also known as Young in some releases), Birthday, American Jeans, C'est La Vie, It's A Shame, Daddy's Little Girl, After All, Deliverance, Rise From The Ashes (their equivalent to Fat Lip as in breakthrough song), Maybe Misery...
krivco
First name: Peter

Post by krivco »

I know them from NHL 07. They have there a song called RIse from the Ashes I think, but I never recognize them more. I listened to a few songs on youtube. Pretty good band but not good enough for me. Something I miss in their music.

But their new single you posted is really good!
Last edited by krivco on Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robbie
First name: Robin

Post by Robbie »

Listened through the new album today. Pretty good, Africa was definantly the best song. Would have wished for a couple of more songs though.
What will we scream?
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

The fan-funded cover-album is now out. You can find it on iTunes.
The second single from the album is Carry On My Wayward Son, originally by Kansas.
Haven't heard the original, but I think this isn't as strong as Africa, but after a few listens I started to like it.

And as I said, this band is probably the most active I've found.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3792_n.jpg[/imgwidth]
TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

TomiT14 wrote:They are a very active group, I'm surprised how they don't need any longer breaks between albums.
And here we go again. Talk about being fast! Less than 3 months after their Cover album, Quietdrive announced they'll release their 4th full-length album Up Or Down this Spring. And they released the first single off the album, Lie To Me.
Kinda basic pop-punk, but still very enjoyable!