Sum 41 / SBM discussion

Everything related to Sum 41 Here!

Moderator: Jeremy Kill

fergal41
Goon
First name: Fergal
Instrument 2: Bass

Re: "Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by fergal41 »

:happy:
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 1: Guitar
Instrument 2: Vocals
Instrument 3: Piano

Post by HugoDisasters »

Does anyone got the Making Of DVD yet?

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 2: Piano
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

Cone wrote:The making of actually just got finished and we will release it very soon. We all just have to watch it and approve it and then it will go out.
HugoDisasters
Jessica Kill
AKA: HHUGGZ
Instrument 2: Vocals

Post by HugoDisasters »

samueeL wrote:
Cone wrote:The making of actually just got finished and we will release it very soon. We all just have to watch it and approve it and then it will go out.
The band has to approve it? It's like the first time i hear they having the authority to do something themselves...

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i34.tinypic.com/10e1sli.jpg[/imgwidth]
samueeL
Finnish Flash
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by samueeL »

FakeNinja wrote:
samueeL wrote:
The band has to approve it? It's like the first time i hear they having the authority to do something themselves...
Well of course. Isn't that obvious? Deryck can censor bass part fights! Just kidding. Cone worked with Gil a lot so there shouldn't be THAT many fights this time! Tho they were pretty hilarious..
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

I think Cone had a lot more freedom this time, because Deryck didn't have everything planned out ahead and already made up his mind this time of what the record was going to be. I especially remember how even when it was done, he told Cone to stand up for his opinion of not liking the bass of the mixes they were getting.

Can't wait for that Making-of ...
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
ÜBERCUNT
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Sigfried
AKA: NEEERD
Instrument 1: Guitar hero
Last.fm Username: daddyissues
Twitter: @Piersmorgan

Post by ÜBERCUNT »

Can't wait for that Making-of ...[/quote]
Wasn't there enough studio updates??
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

That's like saying "Why do you still want to eat every day? Haven't you eaten enough food in your life?" or "Isn't there enough music out there by now? Why still keep making more of it?"

Plus, most of the updates were amateurish recordings by whoever was around and in reach of the camera. The real Making-of will be a much better production and they can reveal more, now that the album is out and protected by copyright.
- Stevo32

dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

does anyone else like absolutely love this album, but didn't totally love it at first? cuz upon first listen, i thought the songs were far too scattered and all over the place. and while i still think a few are at some points, i now feel that the eclecticness works VERY well. w/ the exception of tracks 4 & 12, i love the darkness and overall feel of this album and i really think this is a fucking genius piece of work.
Dylan
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Dylan
360 Gamer Tag: Watchmaker2112
Instrument 1: Bass+Guitar
Instrument 2: Engineer+Production
Twitter: @dylanb_27

Post by Dylan »

i love everything about it except the added intro to Skumfuck. the ballads are even great! they aren't love songs, but songs that reflect on a love that didn't work out and coming to terms with that it wasn't meant to be.
you have far too much time on your hands

"The missing part of me that grows around me like a cage..."

Follow me on Twitter!
dbauer91
Billy Spleen
Instrument 2: drums
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by dbauer91 »

2712 wrote:i love everything about it except the added intro to Skumfuck. the ballads are even great! they aren't love songs, but songs that reflect on a love that didn't work out and coming to terms with that it wasn't meant to be.
i agree about the ballads. crash is probably my new fav. sums ballad, and i feel that "happy" love songs often come off as too corny anyway.
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

dbauer91 wrote:does anyone else like absolutely love this album, but didn't totally love it at first? cuz upon first listen, i thought the songs were far too scattered and all over the place. and while i still think a few are at some points, i now feel that the eclecticness works VERY well. w/ the exception of tracks 4 & 12, i love the darkness and overall feel of this album and i really think this is a fucking genius piece of work.
What did I tell you?
Simon wrote:
dbauer91 wrote:just listened to the album for the first time, and not gonna lie, i was expecting heavier. honestly, i wasn't blown away at all and i feel like they were just going for TOO epic and profound a sound. like legit nearly every song was all over the place and it came off as more of a mess than an accomplishment. still some good songs, no doubt (especially sbm, jessica kill, crash, and skumfuk), but overall i'd say this is hardly a step up from uh (heavier, but so inconcise and inconsistent that it makes for a messy album). overall it's probably their 3rd best for me.
A messy album for a messy life situation.. it's exactly what Deryck told us it would be and I like that.

I knew exactly that this was how you would feel about the album and I even thought about talking you into different expectations, but I didn't want to say anything because I could've been wrong and I didn't want to influence your first impression. It really seems all over the place at first compared to any of their previous records, it doesn't even sound like Sum 41 at all at times, but that's good. I totally got into it on my second and third time listening and I totally disagree that it's hardly a step up from UH. It is A LOT, I mean a shitload of a lot better in pretty much every way (put on an UH song after SBM and it sounds like a joke), especially the vocals are incredibly diverse and dynamic and I don't think we even need to talk about the sound in general. Of course it does have it's flaws, but that's fine to me.
I was also expecting a heavier overall picture, but I'm actually glad that it isn't and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the soft/slow parts. Plus, "Time For You To Go" and "Baby You Don't Wanna Know" are two of the most enjoyable, casual and upbeat pop-rock, almost classic rock 'n roll songs that I have listened to in the last 10 years and I would have never expected songs like that under the flag of Sum 41. I'm still confused about that, but I love it.

I will write a tough track-by-track and overall review soon, that I think might open your eyes/ears a little more if it hasn't happen by itself by then.
Just as I expected, and I agree with your evolved opinion. It's THE album for Deryck to be proud of, although I know he is already proud of most of what he does (rightfully so). I think those two songs breaking the dark mood of the album are actually the icing on the cake, because they are great songs and make it seem less depressing as a whole. Plus they are something we never heard or expected from Sum 41 (at least not as original material).
- Stevo32

Jeremy Kill
"Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

For some reason, I can't listen to this album more than once through and there are very little songs that I put on repeat. Something about the album just makes me feel overwhelmed because there's so much that goes on in these songs and like dbauer said, it's all over the place. I love all the soft and heavy parts, albeit there are still a couple of songs/parts that don't really hold my attention. I really enjoy this album, but I think I'm kind of trying to listen to it bit by bit so I can enjoy it for longer, haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

2712 wrote:i love everything about it except the added intro to Skumfuck.
That's weird, I loved the crazy wide stereo and compressed acoustic guitar and all the bass-like effects.. just the transition into the beginning of the song could have been done better. It felt more like a mini song in front of another one, like they would do live. The end of the intro should've faded into the guitar amp humming of the leaked Skumfuk version.

@Jeremy I get the overwhelmed feeling, it's a lot to handle.. I actually felt really exhausted after first listening to it more than once. It's sort of like eating a huge hot meal and ice cold dessert back to back without breaks.
- Stevo32

Mike
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Mike »

what ever happened to Dipple?
Simon
Dr. Dynamite

Post by Simon »

Mike wrote:what ever happened to Dipple?
According to Heather, he is or was working on something for Avril.
Last edited by Simon on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Stevo32

Phantom
Billy Spleen

Post by Phantom »

dbauer91 wrote:does anyone else like absolutely love this album, but didn't totally love it at first? cuz upon first listen, i thought the songs were far too scattered and all over the place. and while i still think a few are at some points, i now feel that the eclecticness works VERY well. w/ the exception of tracks 4 & 12, i love the darkness and overall feel of this album and i really think this is a fucking genius piece of work.
This. I didn't like it on the first listens. It's not an easy album. You need to listen to learn and understand what's going on. Mucho than ever: it's a great fucking grower.
Jeremy Kill
"Screaming Bloody Murder" Discussion!

Post by Jeremy Kill »

This is clearly not an album you can just pick up and listen to (like, for example, Rise Against's Endgame or Does This Look Infected?). You basically have to make a commitment to take in all that goes on and be ready for breaks in the flow of the song because the band doesn't care if it has a good vibe going; they will throw in whatever they want, whenever they want. Case in point: Reason to Believe. Once that song gets going, it's amazing, but the brakes slam on and you're forced into a totally opposite atmosphere. All the moods you're forced to feel in a single song is probably what's so tiring about this album and why some people find it difficult to enjoy on first listen.

I have to say I'm enjoying what the band is aspiring to be.

Emil
Underclass Hero
First name: Emil

Post by Emil »

Fuck, the Making Of DVD will most likely be part of some deluxe edition so that means i'll have to buy the same record again. I sure hope they throw in some bonus tracks and acoustics on that then.
SumGeek
Does This Look Infected?
First name: Chelsea

Re:

Post by SumGeek »

Jeremy Kill wrote:For some reason, I can't listen to this album more than once through and there are very little songs that I put on repeat. Something about the album just makes me feel overwhelmed because there's so much that goes on in these songs and like dbauer said, it's all over the place. I love all the soft and heavy parts, albeit there are still a couple of songs/parts that don't really hold my attention. I really enjoy this album, but I think I'm kind of trying to listen to it bit by bit so I can enjoy it for longer, haha.

Really? the night it was released I listened to it 10 times, front to back. I like playing it in it's entirety rather than replaying certain songs. But I do see what you mean.