[Review] MCR @ Helsinki, Finland

Lots of music around nowadays. Want to talk about it?
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

[Review] MCR @ Helsinki, Finland

Post by TomiT14 »

Here's my (kinda) review from the show I went to.

I never really gave MCR a chance, since the bands' looks were so, I don't know, emo-ish? So apart from Welcome To The Black Parade and Na Na Na, I hadn't heard any of their material before. Those were decent songs, but I never really took a look at the rest of the material.

Months ago I saw some kind of a contest at a site of the local radio station. I signed in, but never gave a deeper thought for it. Then two weeks ago, I checked my mail box, and there they were, tickets to the seats, as I had won the contest. So random!

So, as I got tickets to the seats, I didn't feel like lining up for hours to see a band I hardly had listened to. I arrived around the time when I saw the last two songs from the supporting band. Luckily so, 'cause they sucked major ass. Never-heard-before Finnish band called Iconcrash. The sound reminded me of Green Day's side project, The Network. But a lot worse! Some über-crazy space shit. Thank God they finished quickly after my arrival.

Last year I had seats at a Billy Talent show, and that totally sucked. This time was the same thing. Of course I didn't mind, since I got the tickets for free, but I would never ever buy a ticket to the seats. It's so lame!
So sitting on the side of the venue might have had an effect on my mood, but even if I try to ignore that factor, I still think the show last night wasn't part of the top ones I've attended.

MCR started effectively with the new lead single Na Na Na, which started up the crowd quite well. But the bands' performance was so lame at the beginning, don't know if the fact that it was the last show of the tour got something to do with it. Sometimes Gerard Way, the singer, looked absolutely ridiculous standing still, only nodding his head. It also took maybe 4-6 songs before the band actually talked to the crowd. Until that point it was only song after song. And as much as I recognized the songs, they seemed to be played the way they were on albums, no crowd singing or extended bridges or anything.

But maybe halfway through, the band started to actually perform. The guys were moving more actively, and they let the crowd to sing along and talked to them between songs. So for the first half, I'd give C-, but the second half would be B+.
Surprisingly for me, much like Good Charlotte's gig last year, they played all their hit singles before the encore. So for a guy like me, who basically knew only the hit singles, the encore was quite awkward since I didn't really recognize the songs. But the song just before the encore was a slow one, so it fitted well for "fake-finishing" the show.

I had listened to the band only for the last two days, so only the good ones were stuck in my head. I was very positively surprised that most of the songs they played were the ones I liked, so I recognized more songs that I would've expected. So I'd say it was a perfect setlist for me.

One major bummer. Like every bigger show in Finland, filming is strictly prohibited. This wouldn't be an issue for me if I was on the field, but since I was on the seats, the security guys were patrolling for the recording cameras. But as I'm quite experienced, I knew how to hold my camera without getting caught, so I managed to get many videos. But when it was time for one of my favorite songs, Famous Last Words, I was busted only 10 seconds in. The security guy told me to shut my camera off, and said if I get caught again he would throw me out. And so he stayed only few feet away from me for the rest of the song to assure I was acting nice. So I missed majority of that song. :sosad:

But all in all, a decent gig. Very positively surprised, since I wasn't really a fan. But definitely would go see them again if they were in town. But needless to say, not on the seats this time.

Pics and vids coming soon, althought the quality isn't nearly as good as my recordings from my previous gigs.
Keep checking for my YouTube account for videos as they upload.

Few pics

Setlist

1. Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)
2. Thank You For The Venom
3. Planetary (GO!)
4. Hang 'Em High
5. Sing
6. Vampire Money
7. Mama
8. The Only Hope For Me Is You
9. House Of Wolves
10. Summertime
11. I'm Not Okay (I Promise)
12. Famous Last Words
13. Destroya
14. Welcome To The Black Parade
15. Teenagers
16. Helena
17. Cancer
--Encore--
18. Vampires Will Never Hurt You
19. Bulletproof Heart
Last edited by TomiT14 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 19 times in total.
FuckT41182
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Jacob(Jism)

Re: [Review] MCR @ Helsinki, Finland

Post by FuckT41182 »

Welcome to the Black Parade is probably their most epic song,but the two of their older albums are just amazing,evey song there has a special sound to it ...

MCR are great,althoug I still can't listen to teir newest album ,even though I tried for like 10 times ...
This is Mark Allen Hoppus. He likes long walks on the beach. This, this is travis barker. He likes to be read poetry just before sunset. And me, I like to stick small pieces of furniture up my butt.
I spy on my dad while he is taking a shower just like everyone else
Mark: Sometimes when I talk in 3rd person i end up calling tom mark
Tom:Yea than he starts touching me and i think thats masturbation
Some people think were idiots or perverts dont argue were both.
"i think we're gonna be one of those bands thats around forever and even makes records, even if noones buying them and using them for toilet paper...but we'll still make them because we'll be the best fuckin toilet paper anyones ever used...." - Tom Delonge
Madjid

Post by Madjid »

You actually went to an MCR concert?
I feel sorry for you, man.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... nwomen.jpg[/imgwidth]

OWNED
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

Cool review Tomi !
I've never liked their style, but I find them pretty talented, I like 4 or 5 songs on their latest record, but The Black Parade was really good IMO
patenttiftw
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Aarne
360 Gamer Tag: partonen2
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: Gobbed

Post by patenttiftw »

Madjid wrote:You actually went to an MCR concert?
Well um, you like Lady Gaga so I would zip my mouth after admitting that.

MCR is pretty good actually.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction
First name: Ed
Instrument 1: Bass
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Mississipi Saxophone

Post by MetalMilitant41 »

They are great, The Black Parade was a good album, but it wasn't as good as Three Cheers. As for live they are decent, their new drummer is amazing. Oh and the new album is BRILLIANT
Last edited by MetalMilitant41 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm Mitchell's Noob aka blackhawk1105! Hehe
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

That's cool you won free tickets! I remember reading your status and thinking, "Wait a minute, does Tomi like My Chemical Romance?" Haha, but I'm glad you enjoyed the show! Famous Last Words is one of my favorite songs by them.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

they sucked live, both times I've seen them.
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

Ari Gold wrote:they sucked live, both times I've seen them.
When did you see them?

Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

MetalMilitant41 wrote:
When did you see them?
Download 2007 & supporting Muse @ Wembley a week later. with both those shows there will be factors that would ruin the sound for MCR as well as the crowd/atmosphere so I can't really give an opinion until I see one of their headlining shows in a venue!
Madjid

Post by Madjid »

patenttiftw wrote:
Madjid wrote:You actually went to an MCR concert?
Well um, you like Lady Gaga so I would zip my mouth after admitting that.
LOL Touché.

Click to view the fullsize image.http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upload ... nwomen.jpg[/imgwidth]

OWNED
MetalMilitant41
King of Contradiction

Ari Gold wrote:
MetalMilitant41 wrote:
When did you see them?
Download 2007 & supporting Muse @ Wembley a week later. with both those shows there will be factors that would ruin the sound for MCR as well as the crowd/atmosphere so I can't really give an opinion until I see one of their headlining shows in a venue!
I suppose thats true, but for The Black Parade they weren't great live, for Three Cheers and now again for Danger Days they are pretty damn good, they just had a blip I think

Bobbyjames
Cocknosher

Post by Bobbyjames »

I've never liked them anyway, I don't know why I'm getting involved in this thread!
gejmik
Chuck
First name: Tomas
Instrument 1: guitar
Last.fm Username: GameEs
Twitter: gamees41

Post by gejmik »

Great review as always. I'd really like to see them live once. I was thinking about a show in Hungary (Sum 41 + My Chemical Romance) but that would mean being 1-2.7. on Sum 41, 3.7. again, and 4.7. again, haha. Every time in different country. It would be no problem for me.. The only problem is - money :balling:.
TomiT14
First name: Tomi
Last.fm Username: TomiT14
Twitter: TomiT14

Post by TomiT14 »

To be honest, I was surprised that their material isn't that emo that everyone has talked about.
Only the minority of the songs would be labeled as emo by me. Most of their stuff is as punk rock as Sums or Green Day or Billy Talent, but still in its own unique way.

So my question is, why the hell does the band have to look so emo? Distracting! :glad:
182sins
Half Hour Of POWER!!!
First name: Cyril
Instrument 2: Vox
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: @cyril_41

Post by 182sins »

I agree, they look emo and I clearly don't like that, but I admit I find them really talented, though their last record was kinda special