Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Re: Scumfuck Download + Discussion

Post by Simon »

DALE wrote:
Simon wrote:
DALE wrote:
spider-man wrote:when I think back to when still waiting and march of the dogs came out.....this song just doesn't give me that great feeling. am I really the only one that isn't crazy about the song? maybe I was just expecting the metal of we're all to blame and such to come back......yeah I was was
No your not. The sounds like an mcr b-side.

Obviously alot of people here are sum41 fanatics who love everything sum41, when they hear a song for the first time it's "OMG GREATEST SONG EVAH!" especially after taking forever to make a sum41 album, after listening to it a few times the simple chords, a lack of a catchy hook, meh.
Too bad for you. I couldn't care less though, because this exactly what I was hoping for and so much more. If you had any idea how good this feels, you'd envy me.

On a side note: I can't stand MCR at all and I'd be happy to be the only one not thinking this sounds like them.
Great cuz when it flops you'll be hearing "fat lip" for the millionth time live for the next 10yrs.
1. They will always play Fat Lip to please "those kind of fans" and I will always enjoy that song as well.
2. Even if it flops, that would only make me like the song(s) even more.
3. What kind of a sad person are you? It's not our fault you can't enjoy good music. This is the new Sum 41 and it seems that most people are very happy with it - get over it or:
sumfan4 wrote:.. shut up and go suck a DICK
Thank you.
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Nic wrote:Matt Whibley:

"That song is deep cut. Not a single. Was close to not making the album."
So in other words, the best is yet to come! I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far in terms of attitude and Deryck's singing. If that's from the supposed worst song on the album, then I can't wait for this 12-minute behemoth. Unfortunately for some people, their best and most artistic work comes out of their misery.

I also had to look up deep cut on Urban Dictionary.
Deep Cut
10 up, 1 down
A song by an artist that only true fans of said artist will enjoy/know. True gems that are found later in an album, a b-side. Rarely if ever played on the radio.
Schmiznatch

Post by Schmiznatch »

Well, I just listened to this song for the umpteenth time and I must say that this is very much what I was thinking of after watching every update and one-liner about this new album. However, I feel that this clearly rough cut of a song has been misconstrued a bit by we faithful fans of TNS.

1. The "MCR" sound is there, except for the fact that to me it just sounds like he used a filter similar to the King of Contradiction. I feel that this doesn't sound like MCR, as much as it does The Black Parade (a total shift for MCR) and even then, it's only a similar distortion to the vocals.

2. Let's look towards the implications of this song for the new album. It is heavy, dark, layered, simple, dynamic, and uses a lot of effects to change the sound of nearly every instrument. Does anyone remember the update that told us, "If Sweeney Todd wrote an album, this is what it would sound like." I feel that this statement is very applicable to this song, with lyrical cues to a loved one or a dark past with someone dear to Deryck and strange sudden shifts in tempo and sound.

3. We need to realize that without Dave Brownsound, the band will most likely be less solo-focused. In another update, where Deryck shows us one of his guitars, D references that "anyone can fucking wank off on the fret board, but I think it takes real talent to make the guitar 'sound' good..." I could not agree more and although this is the roughest of cuts, It seems that every little sound was tweaked and double-checked to assure it is what they wanted in the song. (Especially the crescendo at the end of the song!)

4. I hope we can all get past this Underclass hate-rape that has been happening. If you listen to the album, there are so many great songs and so many interesting aspects to it. Imagine writing an album all on your own with no outside influences, where there once were many. It was a shift for a very specific reason, everything around Deryck had changed (Marriage, Bandmates, Management, and Environment) this resulted in a change in direction that saw references to his roots, but saw great leaps in the band's lyrical abilities as well as musical shifts (having a song like UH contrasted to Pull the Curtain and Speak of the Devil). In my opinion the album made sense and really wasn't absolute shit (which apparently is what most of us think).

In conclusion, I know that we were all expecting a dark album with songs about the break-up and if you weren't I hope you take surprises pleasantly, because that engulfed his life and once again caused a massive change in friends, his work, and his view of life. I wouldn't mind having 12-15 songs all about different areas of the split, because that really takes over one's thinking and focus and just seems to be an area of infinite depth and emotion for any individual.
Sum*41 have once again embarked on a new path for their music, one that may seem foreign and strange but will take us to great places and hopefully exciting surprises. Keep listening to it, the song definitely gets better with time!
Andros
Dr. Dynamite
First name: Andros
Instrument 2: Piano

Post by Andros »

I hope they play Scumfuck live =) is awesome!
hulabaloomoneykid
First name: Angie
Instrument 2: drum
Instrument 3: keyboard

Post by hulabaloomoneykid »

its a cool song this is the unedited version that's why its sougly right now it'll sound btter when the lbum comes out :winkwink:
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle
First name: Derek

Post by kILLDR3n »

Schmiznatch wrote:Well, I just listened to this song for the umpteenth time and I must say that this is very much what I was thinking of after watching every update and one-liner about this new album. However, I feel that this clearly rough cut of a song has been misconstrued a bit by we faithful fans of TNS.

1. The "MCR" sound is there, except for the fact that to me it just sounds like he used a filter similar to the King of Contradiction. I feel that this doesn't sound like MCR, as much as it does The Black Parade (a total shift for MCR) and even then, it's only a similar distortion to the vocals.

2. Let's look towards the implications of this song for the new album. It is heavy, dark, layered, simple, dynamic, and uses a lot of effects to change the sound of nearly every instrument. Does anyone remember the update that told us, "If Sweeney Todd wrote an album, this is what it would sound like." I feel that this statement is very applicable to this song, with lyrical cues to a loved one or a dark past with someone dear to Deryck and strange sudden shifts in tempo and sound.

3. We need to realize that without Dave Brownsound, the band will most likely be less solo-focused. In another update, where Deryck shows us one of his guitars, D references that "anyone can fucking wank off on the fret board, but I think it takes real talent to make the guitar 'sound' good..." I could not agree more and although this is the roughest of cuts, It seems that every little sound was tweaked and double-checked to assure it is what they wanted in the song. (Especially the crescendo at the end of the song!)

4. I hope we can all get past this Underclass hate-rape that has been happening. If you listen to the album, there are so many great songs and so many interesting aspects to it. Imagine writing an album all on your own with no outside influences, where there once were many. It was a shift for a very specific reason, everything around Deryck had changed (Marriage, Bandmates, Management, and Environment) this resulted in a change in direction that saw references to his roots, but saw great leaps in the band's lyrical abilities as well as musical shifts (having a song like UH contrasted to Pull the Curtain and Speak of the Devil). In my opinion the album made sense and really wasn't absolute shit (which apparently is what most of us think).

In conclusion, I know that we were all expecting a dark album with songs about the break-up and if you weren't I hope you take surprises pleasantly, because that engulfed his life and once again caused a massive change in friends, his work, and his view of life. I wouldn't mind having 12-15 songs all about different areas of the split, because that really takes over one's thinking and focus and just seems to be an area of infinite depth and emotion for any individual.
Sum*41 have once again embarked on a new path for their music, one that may seem foreign and strange but will take us to great places and hopefully exciting surprises. Keep listening to it, the song definitely gets better with time!
Pull the Curtain and Speak of the Devil were two of the most overlooked songs on the album. They were also my two favorite songs on the album. I feel as if they could've thrown Speak of the Devil onto Chuck and it would've fit in. Like where they brought a little bit of new stuff in, Speak of the Devil doesn't over do it. Pull the Curtain didn't go too far with the new UH style and felt just right.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle

Post by kILLDR3n »

I knew that's what he meant when he said "and that's the shitty one".

Skumfuck is still a great song although its way different and couldn't be classified as any previous Sum 41 work.
kILLDR3n
Ma Poubelle

Post by kILLDR3n »

hulabaloomoneykid wrote:its a cool song this is the unedited version that's why its sougly right now it'll sound btter when the lbum comes out :winkwink:
I'm pretty sure this is the complete edit and is fully mixed.

Sorry for the triple post I'm so tired.
Schmiznatch

Post by Schmiznatch »

kILLDR3n wrote:
Schmiznatch wrote:Well, I just listened to this song for the umpteenth time and I must say that this is very much what I was thinking of after watching every update and one-liner about this new album. However, I feel that this clearly rough cut of a song has been misconstrued a bit by we faithful fans of TNS.

Pull the Curtain and Speak of the Devil were two of the most overlooked songs on the album. They were also my two favorite songs on the album. I feel as if they could've thrown Speak of the Devil onto Chuck and it would've fit in. Like where they brought a little bit of new stuff in, Speak of the Devil doesn't over do it. Pull the Curtain didn't go too far with the new UH style and felt just right.
I agree dawg, PtC was probably the best song simply because it sounded fresh, while still excelling at the layering abilities that Sum*41 is so well known for; I have a feeling that although I doubt them every album, they will pull out another great collection of songs.
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

Great post, I'm going to respond if you don't mind.

1. It's really noticeable in the second chorus when Deryck shouts the line "The best of luck, as the one and only Resident Scumfuck!" You can hear the distortion. Also, the way the vocals are layered kind of reminds me of MCR.

2. Yeah, definitely remember the Sweeney Todd thing and I've never seen the movie, I've just looked at pictures. All I can say is that it has so far turned out to be a pretty accurate description.

3. I know this new album won't have The Bitter End recreated or resemble any song from either Chuck or Does This Look Infected? for that matter. I know the type of guitar player Deryck is and what he wants to be. There's still going to be some solos as Deryck did say there would be in the Sum 41 Q&A and he even recorded some during one of the Studio Updates ("Well should we do the leads on this one?... Some wanking.") I'm not waiting for some wicked metal riff or solo like The Hell Song anymore like I might've been three or four years ago. I'm more interested to see how the band pushes themselves as musicians and grow during the process. Already with Scumfuck we can hear the dynamics of Deryck's voice to the point where a number of people couldn't even recognize him. All the elements that made Underclass Hero what it was were there (piano, vocal harmonies, different parts in the same song). I'm sure there will be some songs with good riffs as evidenced by Studio Update 34 (or whatever it was) where the band drew names out of a hat to pay for dinner.

4. I never thought Underclass Hero was absolute shit. I can't recall if I ever called it shit at all, but I just didn't like it. I didn't like how the title track seemed to just be a rehash of Fat Lip or how the lyrical content in some songs were about problems with mom and dad. In some aspects it was a step up from Chuck and all the others, but even then I felt like it wasn't anything new. Or maybe I just didn't like the atmosphere of the songs. Either way, I felt that pink was a very suitable color for that album. It was just so "happy" for a lack of a better word. It made me feel like I was too old to be listening to this album. I couldn't relate to any of the songs.

EDIT: Also, Speak of the Devil and Pull the Curtain were a couple of my favorite tracks from Underclass Hero. Pull the Curtain being one of the best songs Sum 41 has ever written.
Smileyguy
Bunkface
First name: Tommy
Instrument 2: Bass
Instrument 3: Drums

Post by Smileyguy »

Yeah not liking this song...It's just not classic Sum 41 to me. It's better then some of the Underclass Hero stuff, but if you compare it something like All Killer No filler or Does This Look Infected, it can't compete. On a good note, Deyrck's voice is trippe in the beginning.
loganpwns
First name: Logan

Post by loganpwns »

Schmiznatch wrote: 1. The "MCR" sound is there, except for the fact that to me it just sounds like he used a filter similar to the King of Contradiction. I feel that this doesn't sound like MCR, as much as it does The Black Parade (a total shift for MCR) and even then, it's only a similar distortion to the vocals.
I don't know about the others, but I was always referring to The Black Parade.
Schmiznatch

Post by Schmiznatch »

*To Jeremy Kill*

Hmmm...that is an interesting take on Underclass Hero. I never thought of being too old for the album, but I can understand what you're saying to a certain degree. It's funny though, I actually loved Dear Father, because my own father left when he gained word of my creation, thus leaving my mother and I on our own. So, a lot of the questions he raises in that song and conclusions for that matter are extremely similar to ones that I came to as well! Perhaps that is why I like the album so.
Last edited by Schmiznatch on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
loganpwns
First name: Logan

Post by loganpwns »

Jeremy Kill,

How is UH a happy album? All the songs were crazy depressing. But if you're out of high-school, then you probably did feel too old to listen to that album.
Last edited by loganpwns on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

it's not bad, I like it. not brilliant, but good. until about 1:40 anyway, I don't like the end of the song. his voice does sound different though, I didn't recognise it at first!
Simon
Dr. Dynamite
n00b: Mitch
AKA: schlafanzyk
Instrument 1: Drums
Instrument 2: Guitar
Instrument 3: Piano
Twitter: schlafanzyk

Post by Simon »

Jeremy Kill wrote:

So in other words, the best is yet to come! I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far in terms of attitude and Deryck's singing. If that's from the supposed worst song on the album, then I can't wait for this 12-minute behemoth. Unfortunately for some people, their best and most artistic work comes out of their misery.

Deep Cut
10 up, 1 down
A song by an artist that only true fans of said artist will enjoy/know. True gems that are found later in an album, a b-side. Rarely if ever played on the radio.
Seems to make sense in the context Matt used it. I was thinking emotionally deep cut(ting), because the more I figure out the lyrics, the more it sounds like the ultimate "Avril Song" to me and that possibly being the reason why it almost didn't make the record.
Just listen to the way Deryck sings the first verse and the outro and imagine him in his huge empty villa with his bottle of wine. It sounds almost like he was actually in tears while recording and not just singing shakily. Never heard him sing like that before. My guess is we will never hear this song live, and I'm not convinced this is "one of the shitty ones". But there's really nothing to be negative about and also still a good chance that I might be wrong.

And no way, this is not a rough mix or anything. It's the real deal and you can really tell, because it sounds absolutely fucking beautiful. The sound engineers did an incredible job of keeping the dynamic of this song (unlike Underclass Hero, which was a disaster from a sound engineers / producers POV).
,,Artist? Come on now... I hit things for a living!"
- Stevo32

MMhhhh... sswwwshhhh... just can't get enough of that coke... aawbrrrrrbr ...
DeryckW
Billy Spleen
Last.fm Username: DeryckW

Post by DeryckW »

http://www.last.fm/user/c4rlsson <--- I like the song ;(

fuck the haters
Sometimes I can't help think that I have you right behind me all this time
If only you could have a chance to see
All the happiness you gave to me
sumx

Post by sumx »

fuck!!!!!!!GO IN Russia!!!))) :blush: :devious: :suicide:
ListheN To Sum 41
Bobbyjames
Cocknosher
First name: Daniel
PSN ID: bobbyjames69
Last.fm Username: cbar05
Twitter: @Daniel_Bartlett

Post by Bobbyjames »

DeryckW wrote:http://www.last.fm/user/c4rlsson <--- I like the song ;(

fuck the haters
haha, you've been pretty much listening to that song for like 5 hours straight!
Jeremy Kill

Post by Jeremy Kill »

loganpwns wrote:Jeremy Kill,

How is UH a happy album? All the songs were crazy depressing. But if you're out of high-school, then you probably did feel too old to listen to that album.
Compared to Chuck, I think Underclass Hero is a more upbeat album. Which sounds more depressing: There's No Solution or March of the Dogs? Angels With Dirty Faces or Underclass Hero? The poppiness of Underclass Hero is what made it seem happy. I mean, yeah, Deryck sang about his father and personal demons, but the atmosphere of the songs wasn't dark at all (darkest songs were probably Count Your Last Blessings, Speak of the Devil and The Jester). But yeah, when I listened to Underclass Hero I had already just graduated high school and the album really caught me off guard after being so used to the sound of Chuck.
Simon wrote:
Jeremy Kill wrote:

Deep Cut
10 up, 1 down
Seems to make sense in the context Matt used it. I was thinking emotionally deep cut(ting), because the more I figure out the lyrics, the more it sounds like the ultimate "Avril Song" to me and that possibly being the reason why it almost didn't make the record.
Just listen to the way Deryck sings the first verse and the outro and imagine him in his huge empty villa with his bottle of wine. It sounds almost like he was actually in tears while recording and not just singing shakily. Never heard him sing like that before. My guess is we will never hear this song live, and I'm not convinced this is "one of the shitty ones". But there's really nothing to be negative about and also still a good chance that I might be wrong.

And no way, this is not a rough mix or anything. It's the real deal and you can really tell, because it sounds absolutely fucking beautiful. The sound engineers did an incredible job of keeping the dynamic of this song (unlike Underclass Hero, which was a disaster from a sound engineers / producers POV).
Yeah, as much as I joke about being one of "those fans" that say every song is about Avril, it was probably motivation for 90% in not, all of the emotion expressed in the songs. Unlike King of Contradiction (which seemed to me like a blind song of hatred for someone faceless and just there because it's a staple song in a Sum 41 album) I can actually hear emotion and purpose in Deryck's voice.

As the mixing, I always just thought it might be a demo or something. It just sounds really raw, but it's pretty cool.