Bye Bye Windows

Calling all nerds! Talk tech in this forum.

Moderator: Boni

Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Bye Bye Windows

Post by Boni »

I've recently come to the decision to use Ubuntu as my primary operating system and having my Window's setup as my redundant operating system. I've been thinking about this for a few months now; I don't really want to pay for an operating system and at the same time I don't want to illegally download one either. Windows 7 does look like a good operating system but it does come with a price tag that is just a bit to expensive for what I'm used to buying. I believe the most I've ever spend of a piece of software would have been Fallout at £40.

Just over two months ago I actually un-installed all of my illegal software and replaced it with open source software which is a decision that I'm glad I made because it has increased my computer performance so much and gave back some of my hard drive space. I saved over half a gigabyte just by replacing Microsoft Office 2007 with OpenOffice.Org and Thunderbird. I do prefer Thunderbird to Outlook I must say myself.

For those have no idea what Ubuntu is; it is an operating system that is 100% open source and absolutely free. It uses the Gnome user interface (Apple Inc. based their operating system on Gnome user interface by the way) which is simple to use and navigate; it would be easy for a computer novice to use. It boots up so much faster than my Windows Vista install and I'm not to sure about Windows XP either. It comes package with a shit lot of software straight out of the box.

So all I need to do now is buy a brand new hard drive for my Ubuntu installation and keep my Windows install unplugged except from if I do need it. I though I would go for a 250GB hard drive (Seagate of course) since I won't be playing games or anything like that so I won't be doing anything about it until next weekend. Anyway, I'm going to go play some Skate 2 now.

See ya
[donate][/donate]
Jake
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Jake :O
Twitter: broughjc

Re: Bye Bye Windows

Post by Jake »

Windows 7 is only £30.
<3 Sumfan

Donate to TNS:
[donate][/donate]
Shiv
Resident Skumfuk
First name: Shiv
PSN ID: Communsim
Instrument 1: Guitar

Post by Shiv »

i like windows 7
and theres some compatibility issues with openoffice that im not a fan of

but it IS cheaper....
i might consider dual booting

Click to view the fullsize image.http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff53 ... 1252973533[/imgwidth]

Boni
Administrator
Administrator
First name: Christopher
Twitter: @boniboyblue

Post by Boni »

Jake! wrote:Windows 7 is only £30.
True but I'm a greedy dick and won't settle for anything less than the ultimate edition, it is a curse.
[donate][/donate]